• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncanny X-Men #542: The X-Men unleash their hissatsu waza upon the Juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Khal_B said:
Haven't followed up Juggernaut for a while but is he still a top tier character in terms of strength and durability?
He dropped a few levels, but he is back with the upgrade the Asgardian god of Fear gave him

bengraven

You know, I wanted to be an inker after finding out that my art skills sucked.

Now I see this and I'm like "sweet, I can be an ARTIST now!" Because tracing is cool these days!

ReiGun

gerg said:
Despite how dislikeable Land's work practices are, he still produces a very clean, photographic style which is quite unreplicated by other artists. I guess you could say that Adam Hughes works in that vein, but Hughes' work is more graphically-stylised, and he doesn't draw interiors, either.

TBH, apart from the tracing of other artist's work (which is outright wrong, not just lazy), the worst thing I find about Land is how much he recycles his work, not how much of his work is traced or referenced from photos.
Ah that makes sense. His work looks like he can probably draw well. Shame he feels the need to trace stuff.

Finaika

Slayven said:
d0y44.jpg
What happened to Rogue? Is she dead?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Unfortunately, pressures of comic work flow can lead artists to rely on crutches that they get too much into the habit of using. Even artists with good ability to draw freehand without relying on models. One of the issues is the "photoreal" style that's demanded in a lot of modern comics.

When the art is looser and more interpretive, natural gesture drawing becomes easier in a limited time frame. I believe depending on the artist and the book, sometimes you have to fully plan, layout, and pencil 2 or 3 pages a day. Depending on what's on the page, that can become seriously difficult if the style requires more or less photorealistic human figures. With proportions that are idealized, but not stylized.

This isn't excusing bad art crutches. But it's understandable how and why it happens. Even a great artist can be screwed by a bad deadline - say you have to pencil 35 pages a month, and a few of those pages are giant splashes with crowds, cities, 14 characters on them, or an insanely detailed background. The time budget for pages with average complexity in the set can become really tight.

Having said that, some artists don't seem (again, I will not judge in the absolute.. well, aside from Rob... sorry Rob, but, well, you know...) to have certain foundation drawing skills for doing layout and figure composition before they get sucked into the commercial illustration world. When you're working full time laying out dozens of pages a month, it can be tough to go into the lab and learn new or better ways of drawing. Just doing repetitive drawing or inking on a similar subject over and over doesn't necessarily make you get better or more flexible.

V_Arnold

I think the main theme of Fear Itself has been "people losing" so far, I expect the same scenario here as World War Hulk: X-Men, when the Hulk single-handedly brought down the whole team, basically. Did not kill as he realized X-Men has enough problems already.

Of course there is a twist, one that has been spoiled already in solicitations, but I wont spoil here for you, those who were looking know the solution anyway.

Measley

WTF is going on in those pages? They make absolutely no sense. Also the lack of backgrounds is almost criminal.

Slayven

Measley said:
WTF is going on in those pages? They make absolutely no sense. Also the lack of backgrounds is almost criminal.
Karma is commanding Face to blast Juggy, Pixie is trying to teleport him, Gambit is charging Rockslide up for a kamikaze attack, Syren is amping Dazzler, and Magneto is about to drop a aircraft carrier on Juggy.

Carrier dropping is the perfered way of taking out a top tier threat. See Sentry.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Slayven said:
Karma is commanding Face to blast Juggy, Pixie is trying to teleport him, Gambit is charging Rockslide up for a kamikaze attack, Syren is amping Dazzler, and Magneto is about to drop a aircraft carrier on Juggy.

Carrier dropping is the perfered way of taking out a top tier threat. See Sentry.
im gonna laugh when none of these things work

Magneto got called up last issue to take on Juggs. he just floats in front of him and Juggernaut throws his hammer at Magneto. magneto is unconcerned until he realizes he can't manipulate the hammer. Then Kitty Pryde grabs him and dephases him in time to avoid being made into purple jelly.

G-Fex

Teh Hamburglar said:
Magneto got called up last issue to take on Juggs. he just floats in front of him and Juggernaut throws his hammer at Magneto. magneto is unconcerned until he realizes he can't manipulate the hammer. Then Kitty Pryde grabs him and dephases him in time to avoid being made into purple jelly.

That's so Magneto

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
honestly the juggernaut is probably tougher than his helmet it would be like crumbling foam cups. Only there to stop psychic attacks anyway.

Slayven

DonasaurusRex said:
honestly the juggernaut is probably tougher than his helmet it would be like crumbling foam cups. Only there to stop psychic attacks anyway.
Not anymore, Hope got his helmet off and Emma tried to hit him with the psychic whammy, and he laughed. Satanna and the Thunderbolts tried attacking his soul and he tanked that to.

We already know how it will end do to solicits, it will end in a rematch that been a long time coming.

jaxword

G-Fex said:
yeah I'm amazed I managed to read Ultimates 2, despite the art. (and the douchiness of characters)

That wasn't Ultimates 2...it was actually drawn competently and featured the team fighting itself, i.e. Thor or Cap.

That was Greg Land doing the Ultimate crossover.

Slayven said:
Not anymore, Hope got his helmet off and Emma tried to hit him with the psychic whammy, and he laughed. Satanna and the Thunderbolts tried attacking his soul and he tanked that to.

We already know how it will end do to solicits, it will end in a rematch that been a long time coming.

How does it end? I've not been paying much attention to the solicits.

RisingZan

Neo Member
DonasaurusRex said:
yeah his panels flip flop alot one panel its one direction then he does a 180 on the next one, def needs to smooth that out.

Has anyone ever attended a "How to break into comics the Marvel way" panel at a con? Isn't this exactly the kind of stuff they hammer repeatedly? Clear story flow, backgrounds, etc?

G-Fex said:
yeah I'm amazed I managed to read Ultimates 2, despite the art. (and the douchiness of characters)
Wait, are you talking about Bryan Hitch? Because that guy is really good.

And if anything, his style resembles Alan Davis'.

Slayven

Teh Hamburglar said:
How does it end? I've not been paying much attention to the solicits.
Colossus makes a deal with Cyttorak to become his new avatar, aka a new Juggernaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom