• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kagari said:
lol, come on. You know they're doing a 4th one.

Question is PS3 or PS4?

IMO a three year gap and I'd put money on PS4 personally. Otherwise it'll be two years and one of the last big first party PS3 games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Appollowexx said:
Question is PS3 or PS4?

IMO a three year gap and I'd put money on PS4 personally. Otherwise it'll be two years and one of the last big first party PS3 games.

PS4 is my guess.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Appollowexx said:
Question is PS3 or PS4?

3 year gap and PS4 is what I'm hoping. Give them time to figure out scenarios that are going to top what they've already done and work on new hardware.

I'd rather see a three-year gap (or three and a half). UC3 was great, but not lightning in a bottle perfect like UC2, and I think a big part of that is because Naughty Dog didn't have enough time to fine-tune the game before release. Give them time to learn the PS4's architecture and create the most fleshed-out content-packed Uncharted game they possibly can.

vazel

Banned
Assuming ND keeps developing the Uncharted games on PS4. Their history shows them working on one franchise per console. As much as I like Uncharted I hope they do something new on PS4.

Darkkn

Played up to the desert in one sitting. This game is amazing! I love the fact that firefights are less frequent, but imo. better designed and don't overstay their welcome.
Revamped melee mechanics has really improved the overall combat experience and made it more what i would expect from a Indy wannabe game. With cover, climbing, shooting and melee options in these Halo style combat situations, i think this game has some of the finest combat in the industry.
It's amazing how well designed some of these levels are. France level was first to blew my mind. Way more extensive than i expected and what a ending! Game does great job of mixing up what you are doing, more so than UC2.

The bad:
- Platforming is still on rails. This is imo. the biggest flaw of the series.
- I have a feeling that the story is going to be unsatisfying, since i feel that the game has just begun in chapter 19. Thus far too much plotting and too little interpersonal stuff.
- Aiming is messed up.
- One of the highlights of the game is not well integrated to the story. I mean what was the point of that
Ship graveyard and cruise ship
?
- Game is probably too hard on normal. I enjoy it but i wonder how a person who doesn't play as much games would fare...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
vazel said:
Assuming ND keeps developing the Uncharted games on PS4. Their history shows them working on one franchise per console. As much as I like Uncharted I hope they do something new on PS4.
They said that Uncharted is something they would like to continue as opposed to doing different games every generation. I'm wonder if maybe they'll switch between a new series and doing a new Uncharted instead of focusing on one series per gen.

Massa

RoboPlato said:
3 year gap and PS4 is what I'm hoping. Give them time to figure out scenarios that are going to top what they've already done and work on new hardware.

Trying to top these set pieces is not what I have in mind for a new Uncharted game to be honest.

I really hope they put the set pieces aside for a second and focus on actually making the combat design more interesting. Just throwing bullet sponges in a small room for you to fight is not good at all.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I'd like to see them try something new post UC3. Audience-fatigue is surely setting in at this point. I'd have no problems with a similar feeling game, but it's time they really shook up the general context and characters.

It could just be a game that plays like Uncharted with a new set of characters, for all I care.

But I realise this is... unlikely.

RoboPlato said:
They said that Uncharted is something they would like to continue as opposed to doing different games every generation. I'm wonder if maybe they'll switch between a new series and doing a new Uncharted instead of focusing on one series per gen.

They would have to get a bigger team if they want to do 2 IPs at the same time .
Unless they bring out the new IP first and then do UC4 in PS4 3rd\4th year .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Massa said:
Trying to top these set pieces is not what I have in mind for a new Uncharted game to be honest.

I really hope they put the set pieces aside for a second and focus on actually making the combat design more interesting. Just throwing bullet sponges in a small room for you to fight is not good at all.
I loved the combat design in 3. The fights were varied and there was always some kind of a power weapon or another trick in order to take out the more powerful enemies. The new melee system as also really cool, although sometimes a bit janky. If they can flesh that stuff out a bit and have some incredible set pieces and another good story 4 could be another absolute stunner of a game like 2 was. That's nothing against 3 BTW. I like 3 a lot but for different reasons than 2. 2 just was a huge surprise to everyone. I'm not sure which one I prefer yet.

gundamkyoukai said:
They would have to get a bigger team of they want to do 2 IPs at the same time .
Unless they bring out the new IP first and then do UC4 in PS4 3rd\4th year .
I would be cool with that too. That way they'll be really used to the new hardware and their engine will be up and running smoothly.

Toki767

EloquentM said:
Hmmm why is crushing easier than hard?
You're used to all the scenarios already so you know what to expect. At least that's my thinking when I played it. Probably also just used to aiming by now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoboPlato said:
I loved the combat design in 3. The fights were varied and there was always some kind of a power weapon or another trick in order to take out the more powerful enemies.
This, in an extremely reductive nutshell, is the problem with UC3.

When dudes take two grenades to kill, suddenly grenades become a fairly single purpose device, and so on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rez said:

When dudes take two grenades to kill, suddenly grenades become a fairly single purpose device, and so on.
True but the snipers, RPGs, and other items become strewn out throughout a lot of the later fights so you have a lot of options for how to tackle them.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Rez said:

Huh?

Edit: beaten to a pulp.

Toki767

Rez said:

I think if you're using two grenades to kill one person you probably should think about going with another strategy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoboPlato said:
Care to explain?
I did edit in a very simple example just after you quoted me. :p

In Uncharted 3, thanks in large part to a more aggressive AI and more power-enemies, there's usually a clearly optimal path through the larger fights. You need an explosive weapon, or that shotgun, or something else. Whereas in a more dynamic game, the enemies are challenging to the point where playing stupid kills you, but they also back-off JUST enough to allow you the leg room to try new things. This seems like it must be a ridiculously difficult thing to balance.

To put it VERY simply, ideally there should be more than one optimal path through a large-scale combat room, and I've been finding this to rarely be the case in UC3. I'm always suppressed into very particular alcoves, despite the large arenas.

FHIZ

leng jai said:
I'm having a lot of trouble even on normal. Some of these combat situations are just plain bullshit.
Yeah I agree, posted earlier about it. I've come to find that most situations boil down to "yeah, get that guy you just killed's grenade launcher, but good luck getting to it with some snipers taking shots at you, five normal dudes charging you while throwing grenades, and two dudes with double barrel shot guns impervious to bullets standing in front of it. LOL"

Still a great game, but there are some fights that are just pure cut bullshit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rez said:
I did edit in a very simple example just after you quoted me. :p

In Uncharted 3, thanks in large part to a more aggressive AI and more power-enemies, there's usually a clearly optimal path through the larger fights. You need an explosive weapon, or that shotgun, or something else. Whereas in a more dynamic game, the enemies are challenging to the point where playing stupid kills you, but they also back-off JUST enough to allow you the leg room to try new things. This seems like it must be a ridiculously difficult thing to balance.

To put it VERY simply, ideally there should be more than one optimal path through a large-scale combat room, and I've been finding this to rarely be the case in UC3. I'm always suppressed into very particular alcoves, despite the large arenas.
I edited my post after seeing your edit. In short, I found quite a few different options through some of the fights, especially later on.

FHIZ said:
Yeah I agree, posted earlier about it. I've come to find that most situations boil down to "yeah, get that guy you just killed's grenade launcher, but good luck getting to it with some snipers taking shots at you, five normal dudes charging you while throwing grenades, and two dudes with double barrel shot guns impervious to bullets standing in front of it. LOL"

Still a great game, but there are some fights that are just pure cut bullshit.
My girlfriend is playing through it fine on Normal, nut up!
Seriously though I agree some of the firefights are poorly designed and kind of cheap.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Or, to use another example, I'll fight through a large room only to have enemies spawn on my head and basically make it impossible not to die. Then the game spawns me at a new checkpoint in an area id never been in that is clearly the optimal area for the fight, and I beat it on my first try.

It's being very picky, sure. But I do feel like it's a bit of a problem.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
leng jai said:
I'm having a lot of trouble even on normal. Some of these combat situations are just plain bullshit.

you and me both, then again uncharted 1 and 2 had heaps of enemies storm from everywhere.

jett

D-Member
protip: stealthing guys will generally yield weapons that are ideal for a current or upcoming situation.

Example: Chapter 20.
During the beginning of the desert storm, a guy in the middle will give you a grenade launcher, with which you'll easily kill the big brute with the huge machine gun and another guy to the right a sniper rifle which for obvious reasons will help in the next section.

bounchfx

just got to chapter 14.. the setpieces are absolutely incredible. the amount of talent required to create these is just insane.

Elios83

Kagari said:
PS4 is my guess.

Indeed it would be nice if Uncharted 4 was a PS4 launch title in 2013.
Still I think that Naughty Dog deserves to become a multi-title developer. They should develop two series each generation.

Btw amazing game, I got it early and tomorrow I'll get the platinum trophy.
Definetly the best in the series, it sets new standards for cinematic action adventure games, also the set pieces are amazing and the game is so balanced between exploration, puzzles, gun fights and melee while Uncharted 2 was more about gun fights.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
bounchfx said:
just got to chapter 14.. the setpieces are absolutely incredible. the amount of talent required to create these is just insane.
There's still some incredible ones coming up.

KingK

Assuming Naughty Dog is never going back to Jak (*sadface*), I would want them to start working on a new franchise now (Zelda-like adventure game plz), probably for the PS4, and after that make Uncharted 4.

I love Uncharted, but Naughty Dog has a lot of creativity, and I would hate to see them get stuck to working on only one franchise forever.

The Chef

I think the only advice for everyone having a hard time playing on Normal is for you to put down your purse and put your big boy pants on.

Seriously, quit your bitching that the game is too hard. Go play Demon Souls and then talk to me about hard. Instead, try to play differently. Try running around more, dont stay behind one cover for too long, try different weapons etc. If you are getting spammed with grenades then...move. Point is to keep moving and try to approach it differently if its not working for you.

Elios83

KingK said:
Assuming Naughty Dog is never going back to Jak (*sadface*), I would want them to start working on a new franchise now (Zelda-like adventure game plz), probably for the PS4, and after that make Uncharted 4.

I love Uncharted, but Naughty Dog has a lot of creativity, and I would hate to see them get stuck to working on only one franchise forever.

Yeah Naughty Dog should really expand and continue to develop Uncharted and do some kind of Zelda-like adventure game as a new IP, it would be so awesome.

Plus my suggestion for Uncharted 4 is to use China/Japan and Afrika as settings and make cities with free exploration like in Deus Ex Human Revolution.

jett

D-Member
Yeah if they stay with Uncharted they need to bring a game changer to the campaign, I like Uncharted 3's SP but I was definitely feeling the franchise fatigue a bit there.

The Chef said:
I think the only advice for everyone having a hard time playing on Normal is for you to put down your purse and put your big boy pants on.

Seriously, quit your bitching that the game is too hard. Go play Demon Souls and then talk to me about hard. Instead, try to play differently. Try running around more, dont stay behind one cover for too long, try different weapons etc. If you are getting spammed with grenades then...move. Point is to keep moving and try to approach it differently if its not working for you.

Hahaha seriously some of you guys are so damn whiney.

jett said:
Yeah if they stay with Uncharted they need to bring a game changer to the campaign, I like Uncharted 3's SP but I was definitely feeling the franchise fatigue a bit there.

Well ND did say 1 new ip for every new console cycle. I tend to believe they might do something new and come back to Uncharted some day.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
since there are a lot of areas you revisit again with there being enemies the seond time you see it
searching for treasures shows how varied and versatile a map can be during gun fights. this is giving me some nice strategy ideas while I'm playing crushing.

Top Bottom