• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
man chapters 12-17 were some of the most memorable chapters of the game for me lmao

crazy (and cool tbh) how divisive parts of this game are for people

just watched this Gamespot review. This is one of the worst reviews i have ever read/watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-Xe4WdRJU

It's a five minute review and the guy barely talks about gameplay. He frames everything in story terms, even the gameplay. He says the setpieces are the best in the series which is bizarre considering there are only a couple of them and aside from the chapter 11 setpiece, they are mostly running away from things while things explode around you. Very simple. nothing complex like the train and tank sequences in U2 and the ship and plane sequences in U3.

What really irks me is how little he discusses the gameplay here. Every time he talks, he is gushing about it as if he is aiming to get one of his quotes on the back cover of the game. He never describes any mechanics in detail.

It's basically the Washington Post review in reverse. the WP guy hated the story where he loved it. Neither talk or care about the gameplay or the issues with the gameplay.

You are reviewing a game here folks. Review the game part of it.

Just read this post

People needs to realize that games aren't one universal thing, there's not a simple definition of video game. Open your mind or accept that there is far more than the basic concept of "gameplay".

That video review was fine. Also watching the review a second time he does talk about the mechanics such as the inconsistent cover and how quirky it can be

Well said.

The other one that stood out to me is...I think 12 into 13?
The boat chapter on the island. Again, stand alone, I'm fine with this. It happens right after the most high octane setpiece in the entire game, and has similar things that you mention (Sam & Nate character moments) though it perhaps lasts overly long with the sheer amount of climbing and crate pushing. But what gets me is how this mirrors UC2, and what they did differently--the opening setpiece. Once you solve some puzzles and get back outside on the island, you clearly notice the storm brewing. It's a cool moment that signals to the player that it's going to lead into the boat segment the game opened with.

However...it skips it. After this slow chapter that builds up, you are thrust into 13. Marooned. On a rainy island, slowly walking for awhile. Then climbing, meeting up with sam, etc. It's VERY slow and follows an already slow chapter, actually playing that setpiece at the start and covering it with a few quick flashes in a cutscene felt like it was missing in a spot where it was sorely needed.

UC2 opens with you climbing a train, without telling what happened to get here. Once you get the scene with Elena picking you up in the jeep and jump to the train ingame, the player KNOWS this is going to end poorly, but get to see it all unfold. Then they play a shortened version of the intro. It was much more effectively done, as opposed to the UC4 handling.

This is the type of stuff people talking about the pacing are talking about. It's not like our hands are shaking after 5 minutes of not killing someone.

I greatly prefer how this was handled in Uncharted 4. I hated replaying the intro in Uncharted 2. It was incredibly boring the second time around. It's one of my few issues with that game.

The game starts off a little slow, which is off putting for some. I love the rope too, especially on traversal kills

What chapter are you at?

11 I think.

You're probably not halfway through.

Possibly not. Obviously withholding judgement until I'm done.

Basically as of right now, what's different about it from the previous 3 I'm enjoying quite a bit. What's not different feels bloated and worse.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just read this post

That video review was fine

Right. As gaming expands, so does the definition of gaming. I guess what I am trying to say is that it bugs me that people no longer care about gameplay and are fine with games hand holding them till the end. I have noticed this trend since Journey won all those awards years ago and couldn't believe when Witcher 3 became the most awarded game in the history of video games. So I see the definition of gaming has already shifted and while I will have to get used to it, I am not going down without a fight. ;p I do want everyone here to know that I dont mean to diss anyone, and am just interested in discussing the game's shortcomings in a friendly manner. I dont want to shit up this thread, only air out my grievances.

One problem with focusing on the story aspect of video games is that you open yourself to criticisms usually reserved for TV shows, books and movies. The Washington Post reviewer pointed out all the problems with the plot and storytelling. As good as ND is, they cannot compete with hollywood when they are telling a pulp action story like Uncharted. There are just way too many plot holes in these games and they shift the focus of the review from the game to the story. At which point you have to start wondering why this person is reviewing the game if he's not interested in the game part of it.

But the games you want aren't going anywhere, in fact I wish there be more cinematic games like this since I think they are really few and far between.

Right. As gaming expands, so does the definition of gaming. I guess what I am trying to say is that it bugs me that people no longer care about gameplay and are fine with games hand holding them till the end. I have noticed this trend since Journey won all those awards years ago and couldn't believe when Witcher 3 became the most awarded game in the history of video games. So I see the definition of gaming has already shifted and while I will have to get used to it, I am not going down without a fight. ;p I do want everyone here to know that I dont mean to diss anyone, and am just interested in discussing the game's shortcomings in a friendly manner. I dont want to shit up this thread, only air out my grievances.

One problem with focusing on the story aspect of video games is that you open yourself to criticisms usually reserved for TV shows, books and movies. The Washington Post reviewer pointed out all the problems with the plot and storytelling. As good as ND is, they cannot compete with hollywood when they are telling a pulp action story like Uncharted. There are just way too many plot holes in these games and they shift the focus of the review from the game to the story. At which point you have to start wondering why this person is reviewing the game if he's not interested in the game part of it.

This statement makes me laugh after seeing Dark Souls III's position on the April NPD chart.

Different people value different aspects of gaming. Some of us, like myself, can enjoy Bloodborne one minute and Life is Strange the next.

Pif

Banned
Just finished the game.

It looks amazing during the whole thing, but the last epilogue segment just blew me away. Can't belive I'm getting that quality out of my ps4.

Raxus

Got platinum a few hours ago. Guess it is online for me from here on out.

As far as rankings go I'd say UC2>UC3>=UC4>>>>UC1

This statement makes me laugh after seeing Dark Souls III's position on the April NPD chart.

Different people value different aspects of gaming. Some of us, like myself, can enjoy Bloodborne one minute and Life is Strange the next.

That is also true, I loved Bloodborne, one of the best games I've ever played, but I love Uncharted 4 equally. I loved Dark Souls III too, not as much as Bloodborne but still, and I loved Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... I don't know, I like many genres and stuff... except well, Minecraft :p

Right. As gaming expands, so does the definition of gaming. I guess what I am trying to say is that it bugs me that people no longer care about gameplay and are fine with games hand holding them till the end. I have noticed this trend since Journey won all those awards years ago and couldn't believe when Witcher 3 became the most awarded game in the history of video games. So I see the definition of gaming has already shifted and while I will have to get used to it, I am not going down without a fight. ;p

I think Uncharted 4s story easily competes with alot of films and I would say it's even better than most. Sure there are plot holes, but have you watched a Christopher Nolan film? Those are filled with plot holes and yet his films and storytelling are universally acclaimed.

People tend to discredit storytelling in games because there's still a stigma attached that they're toys. The fact is, storytelling in games have been pretty damn great for years now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Done!

That was some ride! Not flawless (some parts had way too many shooty sections in a row, for example), but so very good. I'd personally rate it right alongside 2 as the best in the series, although this is probably objectively the better game. 2 was just so SHOCKINGLY AWESOME when it came out, there was really nothing like it. This kinda just does even more of all that awesome crap, turned up to 11.

NIN90

Really did not enjoy this game. Most of it felt like a drag.

Felt like I was slow-walking or climbing 80% of the time.

I think Uncharted 4s story easily competes with alot of films and I would say it's even better than most. Sure there are plot holes, but have you watched a Christopher Nolan film? Those are filled with plot holes and yet his films and storytelling are universally acclaimed.

People tend to discredit storytelling in games because there's still a stigma attached that they're toys. The fact is, storytelling in games have been pretty damn great for years now.

It certainly is much better than Indiana Jones 4 story.

Reebot

Uh, no.

Uncharted 4's storytelling is roughly on par with Transformers, or a Roland Emmerich film. Its there, yeah, but its just mercenary, a means to an end.

There's more to good storytelling than "plot holes," although Uncharted 4 has plenty of those. Uncharted 4 actually gets a massive pass as a video game; judged against other mediums, its laughable.

Uh, no.

Uncharted 4's storytelling is roughly on par with Transformers, or a Roland Emmerich film. Its there, yeah, but its just mercenary, a means to an end.

There's more to good storytelling than "plot holes," although Uncharted 4 has plenty of those. Uncharted 4 actually gets a massive pass as a video game; judged against other mediums, its laughable.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

I have problems with Uncharted 4's story, but... on par with Transformers? Oh dear heavens no. The only thing I don't like about Uncharted 4's storytelling is some of the pacing issues and I didn't care for the epilogue. Otherwise it's well-written and developed with tons of detail both character-wise and historically. Transformers is pure fucking garbage.

Uh, no.

Yeah, no. The Last of Us has fantastic writing fir any medium except books and Uncharted 4 isn't terribly far behind. Your fantasy that video games will forever be low art for children won't be true forever.

Most gamers do

But there's a reason video games resonate with an very small portion of people - extremely small compared to film. The quality just in't there.
They'really prohibitive in a myriad of ways that have nothing to do with the quality of the stories and writing. Some people are just not good at games, but everyone can watch a screen. Blu-ray are much cheaper than $400 consoles. Games themselves are $60.

Also with the success of UC4 it gives hope for more story focused games that there is an audience out there hope UC4 isn't a dying breed of games

Reebot

Yeah, no. The Last of Us has fantastic writing fir any medium except books and Uncharted 4 isn't terribly far behind. Your fantasy that video games will forever be low art for children won't be true forever.

My goodness, now that's some projection.

I never said that my friend, nor do I believe it. Asking for better narratives, and not gushing over subpar stories told with graphical flash, shows exactly the opposite.

HeelPower

Uh, no.

No...No..lol.No.

Its definitely in the upper tier even compared to movies.The writing and specifically the acting are incredible.

ND has such a firm grasp on what makes good acting that some actors could actually learn from how the characters acted in this game even though its masterful animation and not actually acting.

Its most certainly not on par with a transformers.That's ludicrous.

Most gamers do

But there's a reason video games resonate with an very small portion of people - extremely small compared to film. The quality just in't there.

That doesn't seem like a fair comparison since you have to buy games to actually play them, at least that's how it works in most parts of the world. Besides there's still a lot of resistance from people towards video games as a medium which says nothing about its quality.

Most gamers do

Actually, it's because it's a young medium. Film has been around for 100 years and therefore resonates with people of all generations. It's not going to be easy to get someone in their 60's to enjoy a video game, no matter how good it is at telling a story.

The storytelling in Uncharted 4 is easily on par with the average Hollywood action/adventure film. It's not attempting to be on the same level as something by Tarantino, Scorsese, or the Coen Brothers.

Most gamers do

Its easier for my grand mother to watch a movie than it is for her to play a game

Movies are 100% more accessible.

While the quality of writing in video games is not up there with the greats, its been getting incredibly better

Uh, no.

What you're saying is overly harsh. The problems with this game come from the pacing and several moments of padding. The actual story is decent enough for what it is.

Really? I can see somebody making this comment about Uncharted 3 or even about Uncharted 2, but U4 story has emotional impact unlike anything Transformers related. I wasn't huge fan of pacing in Uncharted 4, and I can understand some complaints about the story, but I don't see how it's similar to Transformers...

Dweebo

Banned
So I just finished it and I loved it. The game overall just was...special. There was so many genuine moments and I loved the character interactions. In a genre that thinks innovation is putting in more explosions (although it has those too), UC4 moves it forward in it's approach to storytelling and the little moments that make each character who they are.

I loved the attic portion with the toy gun and playing Crash with Elaina. Also, later with the brothers when they were younger going through that mansion putting on the hats and exploring reminded me of LoU Left Behind.

Combat was rough in some spots, the sneaking felt useful for one portion of an area and then almost impossible or taking too much time in the next causing the enemy to see you and then getting caught in a mess you couldn't fight out of. Worse yet, they'd sometimes spawn you in the middle with enemies in front and behind you after dying.

But all of the game as a whole was so memorable and reminded me of MGS4's fan service farewell. Again, Naughty Dog has made yet another great game to add to their library.

Reebot

ND has such a firm grasp on what makes good acting that some actors could actually learn from how the characters acted in this game even though its masterful animation and not actually acting.

Its most certainly not on par with a transformers.That's ludicrous.

The acting is the best part. But the story, plotting, and basic visual language are all exceptionally poor.

I know no one posting the in OT is going to agree; most probably fly into a rage just reading that post. But I really encourage people to step back and really look at what Uncharted 4 offers.

Uh, no.

How is it on par with transformers?

Reebot

The storytelling in Uncharted 4 is easily on par with the average Hollywood action/adventure film. It's not attempting to be on the same level as something by Tarantino, Scorsese, or the Coen Brothers.

Yeah, I agree. Transformers is one such film.

These stories are marked by simplistic, utilitarian plotting. There's nothing wrong with this, as the focus is on the action - Uncharted 4 clearly follows this trend. Its the absurd praise the game gets that I'm responding to.

Really? I can see somebody making this comment about Uncharted 3 or even about Uncharted 2, but U4 story has emotional impact unlike anything Transformers related.

In what way?

What you're saying is overly harsh. The problems with this game come from the pacing and several moments of padding. The actual story is decent enough for what it is.

I agree; being on par with Transformers, or other Hollywood schlock, isn't some horrifying insult. Movies that make almost 2 billion worldwide clearly tap into the vein on something - simplistic storytelling has its purpose and place. Again, I'm responding to the praise given to Uncharted 4, which is largely the product of lowered expectations. For a game, it might seem amazing. But placed alongside Hollywood's blockbusters, it fits right in.

The acting is the best part. But the story, plotting, and basic visual language are all exceptionally poor.

I know no one posting the in OT is going to agree; most probably fly into a rage just reading that post. But I really encourage people to step back and really look at what Uncharted 4 offers.

lets see how this works

Yeah, I agree. Transformers is one such film.

These stories are marked by simplistic, utilitarian plotting. There's nothing wrong with this, as the focus is on the action - Uncharted 4 clearly follows this trend. Its the absurd praise the game gets that I'm responding to.

Transformers is far below average in the narrative department, even for a Hollywood blockbuster. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

Have you played Uncharted 4? A large portion of the game is not focused on the action. Uncharted 4 is closer to the quality of a big-budget film by Nolan or Spielberg (though clearly not at the same level), rather than something by Michael Bay.

I just can't see it, sorry. Nobody is saying that this is a Robert Altman film or something super complex but Uncharted 4 has a story more nuanced and developed than most of blockbusters films which is what it aims for.

But maybe there's a Transformers movie with a plot and storytelling much better than Uncharted 4 and I haven't seen it!

The Lamp

Alright, so I think I have finally figured out how to best communicate what I did not like about this game. And I think I can explain that easily using Chapter 21 as an example.

Spoilers, obviously.

Chapter 21 opens after an explosive, exciting escape Chapter 20, with Nate and co. retreating from Nadine's army and fighting their way through some exciting battle. Chapter 21 on paper serves as somewhat of a "cooldown" chapter after the exhilarating previous one. Unfortunately, it kind of spoils the ramp-up pacing leading up to the end game and the final encounter. It's just kind of...there.

Chapter 21 is just a traversal chapter. That's it. Nate leaves behind Sully and Elena to go rescue his brother. It leaves Nate alone to get to the Avery's ship and rescue his brother. He climbs a lot of stuff. I'll give it to the game that this traversal chapter is slightly more interesting than the rest, with some nice views and some non-obvious pathing, but it's still there, feeling completely out of place after the ramp-up of 20 and the dramatic conclusion that happens in 22. As weird as it sounds, it feels like filler.

And this permeates through U4 in general, but I think this chapter is the most clear example, because it possibly sours the dramatic build-up that happened in the previous chapters and just exists, seemingly, to give the player a break from the action. But what's so wrong with a break?

Well, nothing, on paper. In some chapters in U4 there are segments of no combat traversal that yield some interesting character development. Nate and his bro share some memories, reminisce, or dig up some of their feelings. Although not exciting in an action-adventure way, these serve a purpose to propel the characters forward through the story. There is something to be said of where these are placed and why they sometimes don't work quite well sandwiched between exciting setpieces, but that's another criticism that we've been through over and over again.

Chapter 21, however, is just there. You traverse some environments and reach your destination. It feels like player busywork before the big payoff. And it brings me to what I feel like Uncharted 4 so desperately needs: editing.

Editing, of course, is a film term, not really a game one. But because this series so much seeks to emulate the medium of film, I feel like I need to criticize it through the lens of film in some respects. In a movie, after a huge action setpiece moment a la Chapter 20, the action movie would likely take a little break. Give the characters some small time to take a breather, talk about something, and then finally allow the main character to make the journey up the cliff to save his half-wit brother. But the difference? The movie wouldn't spend 20 minutes on the protagonist's climb up the mountain, because that is god damn boring and completely breaks the pacing. And I must ask , why the hell does ND think that is important to experience? We, as the player, have done dozens of traversal sections when we get to this chapter, we get the jist. At this point in the story we want to see the ending, to see what happens, who lives and dies, etc. What we don't really want is to scale yet another cliffside for the hundreth time for 20 minutes. Wouldn't it be great if U4 trusts the player to "get" it on their own, and do some obvious cliff montage. Wouldn't it be great if they just did a cinematic of Drake climbing the mountain, using some quick edits, and a few key player interaction moments during some exciting jumps. We don't need to be in it for half an hour to get that Drake is climbing that mountain. We don't need to be with him that entire time. We can be trusted to understand how edits work.

And it's not just this example, U4 does this all the time, with little things. Pushing a box around for a handful of minutes here, moving a crate over there, solving a completely obvious environmental puzzle to proceed, doing some half-assed traversal in order to make it to your destination. Little road blocks that break up the pacing. Small moments that serve no greater narrative purpose nor give the player anything interesting to do with gameplay. And it's not like they are a spectacle, either. They are busywork. It's just downtime for the sake of downtime.

This permeates the game, and, in my opinion, has no place in it. There are parts of Uncharted 4 where I feel like I'm watching The Revenant in slow motion.

I want to agree, but I just can't with your example
Ch 21 is intended to be played, not watched. You just saw your brother disappear alone. You need to make sure he's okay and get him back. They want you to feel this worry and search for him on your own, not watch the game suddenly end up back at him.

Having said that, it IS boring and disappointing that the final chapter wasn't as bombastic as it could be. I was expecting a fucking army and firefight on a massive ship and all I got was a locked, burning 1:1 sword fight in a ship hull. The fight was cool but all those ending chapters could have been SO MUCH MORE.

I do agree that the game needed editing though. Way too many boring, aimless wandering chapters.

derExperte

Well I certainly don't plan to taking advice on movies or books from people who are trying to tell me that this game is up there with the greatest of other art forms, I'd rather make them a list of things to read and watch asap including TV. On the other hand Transformers is a bad comparison, as mundane as U4 is, it's at least coherent.

I agree with you in part, but I think as with any story telling in video games its not perfect but its getting better than what it was

It would help your argument to give good examples so that we may examine it against UC4.

I'm interested in what you mean by visual language though... is that body language?

In what way?

The scene with Elena in Madagascar alone was more impactful than anything in the Transformer movies.

I guess there's a chance that what U4 was trying to do didn't work for you, but clearly they were trying more than Michael Bay ever did.

The Lamp

I just can't see it, sorry. Nobody is saying that this is a Robert Altman film or something super complex but Uncharted 4 has a story more nuanced and developed than most of blockbusters films which is what it aims for.

But maybe there's a Transformers movie with a plot and storytelling much better than Uncharted 4 and I haven't seen it!

I don't know about that. The plot and characters were mostly straightforward. I thought they would have gone more all-out for the last game, maybe 3 different conflicting parties trying to fight for this treasure like some sort of rat race to the biggest heist of all time. But they kept things simple and small. They really didn't explore the villains as much as they could have and I just don't feel it's as ambitious or deeply explored in terms of story as The Last of Us.

Reebot

I agree with you in part, but I think as with any story telling in video games its not perfect but its getting better than what it was

It would help your argument to give good examples so that we may examine it against UC4.

I'm interested in what you mean by visual language though... is that body language?

I'm referring to the visual language of film, the placement of objects in the frame, their movements, the edits - everything through which film communicates visually with the audience. Literal books have been written on this, and I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. If you want a nice crash course on some of the fundamentals, check out Every Frame a Painting, a great youtube series examining this aspect of film.

cackhyena

How is the visual language exceptionally poor? What the hell.

I don't know about that. The plot and characters were mostly straightforward. I thought they would have gone more all-out for the last game, maybe 3 different conflicting parties trying to fight for this treasure like some sort of rat race to the biggest heist of all time. But they kept things simple and small. They really didn't explore the villains as much as they could have and I just don't feel it's as ambitious or deeply explored in terms of story as The Last of Us.

But The Last of Us goes beyond the typical blockbuster, but let's not talk about that because I know where it'll end. :p

Uncharted 4 has its problems with the story, I'm not saying it's amazing, but I do think that it's amazingly told, which many faces in it, you have an average treasure hunting main story but the central characters are really well done, villains are serviceable that's right but they're not bad. And the backstory of Avery and the founders is really really good too. Theres much more here than many blockbusters films.
It has problems, especially for a sequel, the overall plot it's the same as previous entries, villains are still lacking although they are acceptable this time, and there are repeated scenes from the whole franchise that at this point don't make much sense (heroes get caught in disadvantage and somehow escape from doom, this happens way too many times and with always the same results).

I'm referring to the visual language of film, the placement of objects in the frame, their movements, the edits - everything through which film communicates visually with the audience. Literal books have been written on this, and I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. If you want a nice crash course on some of the fundamentals, check out Every Frame a Painting, a great youtube series examining this aspect of film.

This really happens in Uncharted 4, the whole Avery story is this, the whole chapters 4 and 16 is this alone...

Top Bottom