• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Lulu23

I just finished my second playthrough and I have to agree that there isn't enough action and combat.
It was fine on the first playthrough, and I totally see what Naughty Dog was going for, but personally I would have preferred the game to be more like Uncharted 2.
It's not like I didn't like the other aspects of the game (except for crate puzzles), but it seemed a bit out of balance with what I expected from Uncharted 4.

Also, one big issue I have with the combat that was there, that I didn't experience in the first three games, is that you have too little health.
The combat is designed around moving around the arenas, which is very hard and frustrating to do especially on harder difficulties because as soon as you step out of cover a million bullets are hitting you while the screen goes black and white in like a second.

I even set the difficulty back to moderate after starting my second playthrough on hard because I didn't want to experience all combat with a black and white screen.
I liked the more bullet-*****-ey approach to harder difficulties of previous entries.

Anyways, still loved it. Absolutely psyched for whatever ND's next game is.

HeelPower

TLOU's pacing runs circles around UC4's.

That is the truth. It is a more glacial pace than Uncharted but its peaks and troughs are better balanced.

Its really,really not.

It has many of the same problems and the game is even longer than UC4.

The game's pacing takes a nose dive for long stretches of its playtime.There are so many uninteresting sections that are a slog to get through.

Alienous

Its really,really not.

The game's pacing takes a nose dive for long stretches of its playtime.There are so many uninteresting sections that are a slog to get through.

I can't think of any sections in TLOU where I thought "I could do with skipping this". It seemed to move forward well. You also tend to have more authority over the pace - you can only climb a cliff-side so quickly, but if you didn't want to ransack a house in TLOU you just kept walking.

I can't agree with this. I think TLOUs pacing is pretty great but a bit uneven.

In contrast, I don't think UC4 hits the highs of TLOU but maintains the better balance.

TLOU is pretty much full steam ahead once you hit Bill's Town. There's some downtime between encounters, but almost never to the extent of UC4. In Bill's Town, you go from the inverted fight, to the street fight, to the graveyard fight, to the large residential area with several infected, to the schoolyard->school interior->gymnasium sequence all in a briskly-paced stretch of gameplay, and it's all capped off with pushing the truck while fending off infected. Pittsburgh is similarly paced, with standout fights including the opening convenience store brawl, the bookstore, the hotel, etc. There's downtime between many of these fights, though it's both more restrained than in UC4, and much more relevant to the overall experience (scavenging for gameplay items). Even some of the most significant downtime sections (Ellie hunting in Winter) are followed up by extended action sequences (fighting through the factory with David) that pay off on the downtime.

UC4's pacing has some of the most jarring shifts ever. Clocktower collapsed out of nowhere? OK, let's immediately hit you with a forced walk and yet another puzzle sequence. Convoy sequence got your blood pumping? No problem, we'll give you a break for about an hour with slow paced boat exploration and platforming. That elevator fight is one of the series' best encounters? Well we can't even attempt to follow that up, so let's immediately hit the breaks and explore Drake and Elena's marriage. Game is completely bipolar, swinging from 10/10 pacing to 0/10 in the blink of an eye. Almost no medium-paced encounters or sections to keep the flow going. The game has no concept of momentum.

Just finished this. Super awesome but FFFFF all the shooting segments. Even on normal your guns are worthless and youre out of luck when a tank rushes you.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just finished this. Super awesome but FFFFF all the shooting segments. Even on normal your guns are worthless and youre out of luck when a tank rushes you.

Have to get that helmet off of them. I found the guns to have some real impact on Hard.

I'd happily take a non-combat U4 DLC, that would be so much more interesting than just waves of enemies.

Uncharted 1 was just waves of enemies. Some well-paced action using Uncharted 4's core gameplay would absolutely be more engaging than a string of cutscenes.

If 4's non-combat stuff was more substantial, then non-combat DLC wouldn't be so bad.

There needs to be more of an ebb and flow, rather than hordes of goons then nothing.

I won't use the term "filler" to describe those sorts of encounters because it has a negative connotation (though I don't mean for it to come across that way), but yeah, UC4 could have used more encounters where it's just a small or medium sized squad of guys with maybe some interesting terrain or a small gimmick, and Drake has to take them out or sneak by. So not a super intense setpiece, but not a section completely devoid of combat either. Just something to keep the player engaged and on their toes, while being subdued enough that the bigger moments still have impact. Like the farm in RE4. It isn't nearly as high octane as the preceding village fight, but it's a nice piece of connective tissue to subsequent sections.

Ulldog

Finished it a couple of days ago. Light spoilers ahead

Whilst it certainly is incredibly beautiful and captivating, I do miss that Uncharted "fun". Nothing really comes close to the airplane set piece in Uncharted 3, and there's also something jarring about the fact that Nate and Elena constantly want to go home when all I wanted, as a player, was to push on. Finding New Devon and Avery's treasure could have been much more exciting.

Hopefully the DLC will be about Sam and Sully going on some jolly adventuring, resembling the previous games.

dealer-

I won't use the term "filler" to describe those sorts of encounters because it has a negative connotation (though I don't mean for it to come across that way), but yeah, UC4 could have used more encounters where it's just a small or medium sized squad of guys with maybe some interesting terrain or a small gimmick, and Drake has to take them out or sneak by. So not a super intense setpiece, but not a section completely devoid of combat either. Just something to keep the player engaged and on their toes, while being subdued enough that the bigger moments still have impact. Like the farm in RE4. It isn't nearly as high octane as the preceding village fight, but it's a nice piece of connective tissue to subsequent sections.

Yep exactly that, would be great if the goons were doing something more interesting rather than patrolling in set patterns or arriving in waves. Just some more creative, smaller sections to keep players engaged.

Jacob4815

How can I restart a new game with 0 collectibles?

I choose a new game, a prompt asks me if I want to keep my stats and treasures, my answer is NO but I have all my previous collectibles in the new game too.

Yep exactly that, would be great if the goons were doing something more interesting rather than patrolling in set patterns or arriving in waves. Just some more creative, smaller sections to keep players engaged.

There are people who reduce Uncharted 2 to just waves of dudes rolling in.

I don't think anyone who complains about shooting in a TPS and conflates "lots of combat," with "repetitive, wave-based gameplay," will care how well designed the encounters are. They just don't want it at all, and believe combat = repetitive, boring encounters, either because of their own tastes or their own experiences with poorly designed games.

This upcoming DLC could be entirely action start-to-finish and still be fantastic.

The Lamp

I'm finishing my second playthrough of this while simultaneously playing through Tomb Raider definitive edition for the first time.

I never thought I'd say this but there is some stuff that Uncharted 4 could learn about that game. I'm having a really good time with the action and motivation to explore compared to U4. Outside of combat, U4 has very shallow gameplay mechanics.

My LTTP/comparison thread might turn heads but eh. I'm taking notes while I play through both.

Alienous

I'm finishing my second playthrough of this while simultaneously playing through Tomb Raider definitive edition for the first time.

I never thought I'd say this but there is some stuff that Uncharted 4 could learn about that game. I'm having a really good time with the action and motivation to explore compared to U4. Outside of combat, U4 has very shallow gameplay mechanics.

My LTTP/comparison thread might turn heads but eh. I'm taking notes while I play through both.

I do want to play ROTR and UC4 back-to-back, to see how they compare. I think Tomb Raider compares favourably.

I'd definitely be interested in that thread.

Ascenion

I'd happily take a non-combat U4 DLC, that would be so much more interesting than just waves of enemies.

I don't get this viewpoint. Imo that isn't what Uncharted is. I don't want to see Drake living his normal life. It was cool in short bursts but where is the action? It's an Action/Adventure game, with very little action as it is. I'm not sure I want more non-action.

The Lamp

Its really,really not.

But in TLOU at least you have a reason to explore (item scavenging is crucial to survival) and the areas are never so big that you could get lost mindlessly searching nooks and crannies, unlike U4's huge
Madagascar fields and archipelago sections
, and the larger areas of TLOU like the neighborhood with the empty houses can be completely avoided.

RDreamer

Man this elevator encounter sucks on Crushing. I keep running out of ammo. I'm surviving pretty fine but I ain't got ammo to kill anyone anymore.

J-Skee

I would love a DLC that goes back to the founding of Libertaria or something like that, playing as Henry Avery or Tew and doing pirate-y things. I don't see it happening, but finishing UC4 made me go play Assassin's Creed Rogue and I have really been enjoying it, might replay AC4 Black Flag next.

re: crushing difficulty, the one thing I wish I had done was play the game on normal my first time and then do crushing with bullet time cheat turned on. Crushing is just bullshit in a few chapters, and even the rest of the fights its basically just "get behind a wall, hope you don't get 1 shot". It really detracts from the game enjoyment imo for most people.

I traded my game into gamestop for $48 (50% trade bonus if you buy doom), sorta regret it already since I did sorta enjoy multiplayer. Will rebuy digitally when it drops to $30 or less though, or if they release a GOTY with all DLCs.

That's what I've been saying. I'd love for this to happen.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I do want to play ROTR and UC4 back-to-back, to see how they compare. I think Tomb Raider compares favourably.

I'd definitely be interested in that thread.

Definitely excited to play RoTR when it releases on PS4.

Man this elevator encounter sucks on Crushing. I keep running out of ammo. I'm surviving pretty fine but I ain't got ammo to kill anyone anymore.

Gotta get off the elevator and grab dropped weapons.

RDreamer

Gotta get off the elevator and grab dropped weapons.

I do, but there aren't enough in spots you can actually get to. I literally used all that ammo. It doesn't help that I started the encounter with hardly any in the guns I've already got. I shoulda grabbed something better in the previous encounter but I forgot this was next.

Use the infinite ammo bonus option/cheat. Won't disable your trophies.

I can't cheat on this shit. I've got a beat Uncharted on Crushing streak to uphold!

Radogol

I would love a DLC that goes back to the founding of Libertaria or something like that, playing as Henry Avery or Tew and doing pirate-y things.

That just reminds me how awesome Gameloft's mobile Tintin game was. Much more cinematic than the actual console release. Back when I first played it, it really did feel like a mobile version of Uncharted. And it looked so beautiful!

r0Gimi2.jpg

That's a 2011 iOS game. Can you believe it?

I might have had some wine today.

Balphon

There are a handful of frustrating parts on Crushing. In particular, there's one encounter in Chapter 20 that takes forever and the last boss is pretty terrible.

I also found stealth to be effectively pointless since getting past most encounters without being seen is close to impossible.

mrqs

I think pacing in TLOU was better than UC4. Story too, more developed and with a greater ending. I think ND made an ending to "if someone wants to make some Uncharted 5 or a spin off someday, they can".

Uncharted 4 seems like an "we have to make this game" type. Not as well thought and the conclusion to both conflicts (
Sam and Elena
) is cheap. The final boss fight is overdone,
a new mechanic, really
?

I absolutely loved The Last of Us. One of my favorite games of ALL TIME (really). Uncharted 4 has a stale mechanic that was based upon an 2007 game, it doesn't hold up even with the rope. The climbing pick felt shoehorned and underused, it was one of the best mechanics in the game for climbing and it was just a let down. You use it so little.

Anyway, great game, but it does feel that they would rather make an different game and not U4. I understand the development hell that the game went trough, and i think their next big game will be way better for me.

Alienous

That just reminds me how awesome Gameloft's mobile Tintin game was. Much more cinematic than the actual console release. Back when I first played it, it really did feel like a mobile version of Uncharted. And it looked so beautiful!

r0Gimi2

That's a 2011 iOS game. Can you believe it?

I might have had some wine today.

Fun fact: the dude behind the NintendoOn and Majora's Mask WiiU hoaxes worked on that as the art director. Ubisoft, developing the console Tintin game, had access to the iPhone game, and Gameloft had access to the console one. He seems to think Ubisoft stole a level from their game for Assassin's Creed 3.

I guess Uncharted stealing art from Assassin's Creed was karmic justice.

TitusTroy

How can I restart a new game with 0 collectibles?

I choose a new game, a prompt asks me if I want to keep my stats and treasures, my answer is NO but I have all my previous collectibles in the new game too.

I would like to know this as well...no matter what option you choose it still keeps your stats/treasures...

SomTervo

It definitely does compare favourably.

I was roughly doing this up to UC4's release. Played about 2/3rds of RotTR then UC4 came out and I one-and-doned it.

IMO, UC4 is a consistent 9/10. I don't feel the pacing issues or flaws others talk about so much. My eyes are filled with the stuff it gets right, so consistently, hour on hour on hour. Helped along by witnessing the maturation of some of the greatest artists on the planet.

RotTR is much more complicated. When it tries to be Uncharted - in terms of writing, character, plot - it's a 5/10. The writing is fucking bad. Often. The characters are not compelling whatsoever. The story is nyeh. It doesn't know how to handle its characters or give them meaningful moments.

And worse - when it's trying to copy Uncharted, the pacing is 3/10. The action setpieces by-and-large just don't work. Sometimes they do, and it's great, but most of them suffer from TR2013's problem of relentlessness without much development or self-awareness. The devs couldn't sit back and go 'No wait, this has become ridiculous' and cut her 12th fall from a great height. That's where ND and CD are distinct. They seem far less self-aware when it comes to that stuff. They can't objectify it.

But when you're not in those action scenes? When you're not watching a cutscene or reading some really fucking dull 'audio diary'? RotTR is like 9/10 - possibly reaching 10/10 from time to time. You feel like an adventurer, often moreso than in Uncharted. You walk through miles of a wilderness then into a cave then down into a crazy tomb where you solve an optional puzzle and unlock a gameplay tool then you extricate back to the surface with your new tool. And this happens multiple times throughout the journey, like nearly 10 (optional) times I'd imagine. It's much more holistic, adventurous and compelling, in that regard. The gunfighting/combat is also fine - and there's a lot more of it, so it has a bit more spring in its step.

Really difficult (ie unpleasant) comparison to make, though. They're both really great, but some people will prefer RotTR, and some will prefer UC4. I'm on the latter side of the fence.

As I said earlier in this thread, the best option is to play both, honestly. One's weaknesses are addressed by the other, and vice verssa.

The Lamp

I would like to know this as well...no matter what option you choose it still keeps your stats/treasures...

You have to overwrite your completed save with your new save to keep collectibles. You start a new save file completely if you want to refresh all the collectibles. I think that's how it works. I'm not sure. Don't come after me if you lose your save file or something lol!

Liamc723

I don't get this viewpoint. Imo that isn't what Uncharted is. I don't want to see Drake living his normal life. It was cool in short bursts but where is the action? It's an Action/Adventure game, with very little action as it is. I'm not sure I want more non-action.

Completely combat free? So you want the DLC expansion not to be Uncharted?

Uncharted is more than just shooting dudes.

I'm way more interested in a piece of DLC that doesn't feature a gun than one that does.

Jacob4815

You have to overwrite your completed save with your new save to keep collectibles. You start a new save file completely if you want to refresh all the collectibles. I think that's how it works. I'm not sure. Don't come after me if you lose your save file or something lol!

Nope, I started a new game in a new file (and I chose NO when the game asked if you want to keep your treasures), but all the collectibles are still here.

Radogol

Fun fact: the dude behind the NintendoOn and Majora's Mask WiiU hoaxes worked on that as the art director. Ubisoft, developing the console Tintin game, had access to the iPhone game, and Gameloft had access to the console one. He seems to think Ubisoft stole a level from their game for Assassin's Creed 3.

I guess Uncharted stealing art from Assassin's Creed was karmic justice.

That's some nice trivia, thanks!

The level in question was a QTE-fest in the iPhone game so it's nothing to brag about even if they stole the geometry.

That being said, I haven't played Assassin's Creed 3 so maybe the borrowed rendition was much more alike than the screenshots suggest.

Does this get substantially better after chapter 10? I mean, the caves look nice and shiny and the vistas are pretty, but is this how it carries on for the duration of the game? There's next to no substance at the point. I feel like it's missing the meat and potatoes and I've been playing the prologue up to this level.

Keeping with Uncharted tradition, I would love if the dlc included
a legit excavation with puzzles and journal entries uncovering what went down etc... But then baddies show up. I mean, I'm trying to think how they can add a combat mechanic without being violence-oriented but I'm having a hard time. Squirt gun fight (again)? Tranq guns against dangerous wildlife? Introducing that rockface shooting mechanic to make handholds and possibly used for puzzles as well?

I can't get behind this Tomb Raider comparing favorably to Uncharted at all. Maybe ROTR is significantly better, but I thought TR 2013 was absolutely dire.

Aside from the aforementioned garbage tier storytelling, I thought combat encounters and mechanics were really boring and make zero use of mobility or interesting level design or anything. There were some cool additions to the platforming, and it is more platforming heavy than Uncharted, but I hated how floaty Lara's jump is, and I really really don't care about any of the billions of collectables scattered about to fill up arbitrary xp bars on a cluttered HUD screen in order to gain new abilities to try to make the game more fun. And the art direction was pretty bad, since the game is almost entirely brownish gray, and filled with nonsense structures and geographical formations that make the island not seem like a real, or cohesive place at all.

I honestly have more fun with Drake's Fortune than Tomb Raider '13

Alienous

I can't get behind this Tomb Raider comparing favorably to Uncharted at all. Maybe ROTR is significantly better, but I thought TR 2013 was absolutely dire.

Aside from the aforementioned garbage tier storytelling, I thought combat encounters and mechanics were really boring and make zero use of mobility or interesting level design or anything. There were some cool additions to the platforming, and it is more platforming heavy than Uncharted, but I hated how floaty Lara's jump is, and I really really don't care about any of the billions of collectables scattered about to fill up arbitrary xp bars on a cluttered HUD screen in order to gain new abilities to try to make the game more fun. And the art direction was pretty bad, since the game is almost entirely brownish gray, and filled with nonsense structures and geographical formations that make the island not seem like a real, or cohesive place at all.

I haven't played TR 2013. I imagine ROTR is an improvement.

It certainly isn't better than Uncharted 4, but they are comparable in a lot of ways - puzzles, stealth in combat. There are certainly combat encounters with interesting design, such as diving underwater to evade detection. I don't think ROTR has any as large as UC4 has.

I will agree with the cluttered HUD, though. I didn't care for "You can now read [language] level 2", and things like that. But it had an interesting approach to puzzles, which were often off the beaten path. And it had some resource management in the combat. I also didn't find the locations to be unbelievable at all - not in a heightened reality sense, at least.

I'm really wondering how I'd enjoy it now, after playing UC4.

The Lamp

It certainly isn't better than Uncharted 4, but they are comparable in a lot of ways - puzzles, stealth in combat. There are certainly combat encounters with interesting design, such as diving underwater to evade detection. I don't think ROTR has any as large as UC4 has.

I will agree with the cluttered HUD, though. I didn't care for "You can now read [language] level 2", and things like that. But it had an interesting approach to puzzles, which were often off the beaten path. And it had some resource management in the combat. I also didn't find the locations to be unbelievable at all - not in a heightened reality sense, at least.

I'm playing through TR2013 for the first time now. It's interesting how TR and Uncharted have inspired each other for years now. I will say I am very impressed by the fun design of the tombs and traversal in TR.

This is how you make meaningful exploration gameplay without combat. Things to find, solve, open, reveal, etc. The fire plane puzzle in the first tomb in the game has more thought put into it than any single ordinary puzzle or traversal segment in U4 except
the most thoughtful puzzle traversal was the clock tower, and that lasted only a little longer than TR's first tomb
. I haven't fought anyone with a gun yet but I'm having fun just watching my tools improve and the environment unfold like a picnic blanket. It makes U4's occasionally empty, useless environments which are laden with invisible walls and where you stumble upon a small room with nothing or a small trinket feel simplistic compared to the level design in TR2013 right now.

U4 undoubtedly has prettier levels with better art design but the game design of said levels is pretty meh.

Ascenion

Personally I find ROTR to be the better overall game. Uncharted 4 is the better experience but I can see myself easily playing ROTR again from a standpoint of actually wanting to. ROTR expands upon everything introduced in TR2013 and improves upon it. Lara feels like a survivor and does what she has to and the gameplay adequately reflects that. The story is bad, but the gameplay makes up for it. I'd even say combat wise certain things in ROTR are done better than in Uncharted like stealth. It never feels unviable in ROTR, not to mention it never feels sparse. I'd also say it handles open areas better. ROTR never feels empty like UC4 does. I might go through ROTR again for a more fresh comparison but as of now I'd say it's a better Uncharted game than Uncharted 4 was and it's damn sure a better sequel.

Personally I find ROTR to be the better overall game. Uncharted 4 is the better experience but I can see myself easily playing ROTR again from a standpoint of actually wanting to. ROTR expands upon everything introduced in TR2013 and improves upon it. Lara feels like a survivor and does what she has to and the gameplay adequately reflects that. The story is bad, but the gameplay makes up for it. I'd even say combat wise certain things in ROTR are done better than in Uncharted like stealth. It never feels unviable in ROTR, not to mention it never feels sparse. I'd also say it handles open areas better. ROTR never feels empty like UC4 does. I might go through ROTR again for a more fresh comparison but as of now I'd say it's a better Uncharted game than Uncharted 4 was and it's damn sure a better sequel.

But Uncharted was never about many of the things Tomb Raider focuses on, and Tomb Raider has a shit story so I can't see how it's a better Uncharted game than Uncharted.

I prefer Uncharted's open spaces and platforming to Tomb Raider's because even if there isn't as much useless shit to collect around the world, the stuff you do find is so much more compelling because every little character moment or note or journal entry you find is tied to a cohesive narrative theme and is really enjoyable. And I find that just the simple act of moving around, jumping, sliding, using the rope, just feels way more satisfying than Lara's floaty movements. It doesn't hurt that Uncharted's locations are 100x more visually appealing too.

I do like the physics based puzzles in the optional tombs in Tomb Raider though. It's nice that they are sometimes kind of challenging to figure out, but they are tucked away so that they both feel rewarding to find and don't break up the pace of the adventure unless you want them to (not that Tomb Raider has particularly good pacing). Uncharted 4 has little mini versions of these sorts of things scattered about though (like there's a well you can go down in chapter 10 that has a bit of a puzzle you need to solve with the winch to get a treasure).

But just thinking about moving around Tomb Raider's cluttered, ugly zones using that narsty Assassin's Creed vision and having all sorts of obnoxious information pop up on the screen while Lara is going some horrible monologue makes me feel kind of nauseous. Uncharted games are much more streamlined, guided experiences, with all sorts of extraneous "content" (that I guess some people like) cut off in favor of a cinematic, tightly paced adventure where all the things you are doing are much more fun, and the narrative and aesthetic stuff really can't be ignored in how much they elevate the experience imo, and how much that stuff in Tomb Raider drags it down.

I'm actually looking forward to the PS4 version now, if they don't half-ass it. Am hoping it fixes the AA and input lag issues.

Regardless of whether people think Tomb Raider plays better than Uncharted, we'll see some solid contrast between the two, which is good.

Top Bottom