• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

Mmmm, I'm pretty apathetic to be honest.
I stopped playing after Chapter 16 and haven't touched it in two weeks.

Does the game pick up in the last third?
I think I'm feeling NaughtyDog genre fatigue at this point.

Ricky_R

Mmmm, I'm pretty apathetic to be honest.
I stopped playing after Chapter 16 and haven't touched it in two weeks.

Does the game pick up in the last third?
I think I'm feeling NaughtyDog genre fatigue at this point.

I don't think it picks up any more than it already has from that point on. You might as well finish the ride later on if you care enough or just move on.

zsynqx

That is true .
Side note i wonder after TLOU will ND do more M rated games.
Since the sales were so good the might not care anymore about the T ratings .

Possibly. I am fine either way.

In my heart I would love to see Naughty Dog tackle a Pixar style game with cartoony animals that also delivers a strong narrative, rivalling what they achieved with UC4 and TLOU.

On the other hand, I would be happy if they go even darker than they did in TLOU

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Finished it last night. What a ride.

Except
the final boss fight. I Hated it. Gonna go out on a limb and say I wasn't the only one?

neobiz

The one part that really bugged me is the big set piece in chapter 11. They've basically destroyed the whole town with this wild chase, Sam and Nathan do that privileged white men laugh as the black dock workers look on in shock and despair at the destruction of their homes/workstations, and they drive off consequence free.

With all the shit they went through to make it through that section does their skin matter? Pretty sure I would expect a 'holy shit' laugh at that point from all parties involved no matter whatever you identify them as. Privileged white laugh? C'mon dude.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Finished it last night. What a ride.

Except
the final boss fight. I Hated it. Gonna go out on a limb and say I wasn't the only one?

I loved the final fight, but you are not alone in not liking it.

I have no desire to play this game on Crushing, but out of curiosity, how do the
mummies
change? Larger area of effect? Shorter fuses?

It is just one room that will constantly kill you because your health is so low.

Crushing has been fun as hell up until that part.

Alienous

With all the shit they went through to make it through that section does their skin matter? Pretty sure I would expect a 'holy shit' laugh at that point from all parties involved no matter whatever you identify them as. Privileged white laugh? C'mon dude.

Thought experiment: Do you think they'd be laughing if it was New York?

I checked out the last few pages - it seems like topics are all over the place...

Is it about the ending being divisive or Nate's identity as a person leaving the adventure side of his life?

A few different things. I was mainly talking about how the killing topic was about more than bodycount, but rather it not suiting Nate's personlity.

I have no desire to play this game on Crushing, but out of curiosity, how do the
mummies
change? Larger area of effect? Shorter fuses?

The damage they do will actually kill you if you're not exactly in the right spot.

Like where in hard you will get away with almost dying, you'll just get thrown around the room in Crushing.

I'm totally fine with the crates. I really think the issue is overblown with how few there are in the game, and they are generally used in different ways in the mini environmental puzzles.

I buy Neil's reason for them too. It's not some big emotional connection, but you're working with your partner to overcome some tiny part of the environment.

neobiz

Thought experiment: Do you think they'd be laughing if it was New York?

Location doesn't matter. Could have been a concrete jungle, marsh, prairie or even the the side of a volcano. It's simply a 'holy shit I can't believe we made it through that shit' laugh.

Ricky_R

How bout we move to a more positive topic for a little while? What was your favorite cut-scene?

Mine is between the one after the Madagascar chase and the one when they find
all dead pirates in the dining table.

When I think about it, all cut-scenes with Elena were great.

Just finished, loved, and I'm a bit sad that ND won't do Uncharted anymore.

The main thing that makes me pick this as my favourite Uncharted
is the fact that the treasure don't hold any crazy ass curse that makes zombies or whatever. It's more grounded (well, as much as you can be with palaces on jungles and crazy contraptions working after centuries unattended).

Fusebox

Banned
Finished it last night, I also just replayed the HD collection before starting it. Wow. Going from UC1-4 in a couple of weeks was an incredible ride. What an amazing franchise, blessed are Naughty Dog.

MAX PAYMENT

Hahahaha

gamerMan

Possibly. I am fine either way.

In my heart I would love to see Naughty Dog tackle a Pixar style game with cartoony animals that also delivers a strong narrative, rivalling what they achieved with UC4 and TLOU.

On the other hand, I would be happy if they go even darker than they did in TLOU

I have to admit that this would be awesome. I think that game graphics are far along that we could finally see something rival Pixar in video games. Plus, Naughty Dog was great at making these types of games. Even if it was cartoony, it could have a more mature storyline. I really don't want a sequel to Last Of Us as it limits Naughty Dog to the confines of that world much like Uncharted 4 did. Uncharted 4 will never be Uncharted 2 just like Last Of Us 2 will never be good as Last Of Us.

How bout we move to a more positive topic for a little while? What was your favorite cut-scene?

Mine is between the one after the Madagascar chase and the one when they find
all dead pirates in the dining table.

When I think about it, all cut-scenes with Elena were great.

It's either that, chapter 4 on the couch, or chapter 11 at the inn.
Everything involving Elena is ace in this game.

Future

The only part of the story where the action felt a bit weird to me was in
libertalia when Elena comes back, saves you, has that grim attitude on needing to save you. And then proceeds to join you in a shootout murdering tons of people. Especially since that's when the shootouts actually pick up

pashmilla

Banned
I finished the game a few days ago and enjoyed it well enough, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. Today I popped in Uncharted 2 for the first time in years and was amazed at how much more fun it was in every way - not just gameplay but story and characters too. My biggest problem with 4 is that it felt like it was trying to be The Last of Us instead of pulpy Indiana Jones-esque campy adventure, and it just ended up dreary and dull. I hated the shoehorned "here's a brother who has literally never been mentioned before" thing, especially given that the plot of the last game of the series revolves almost entirely around a character who is obviously retconned in, and is pretty bland and unlikeable to boot.

You people complaining about neck snapping, body counts, and superfluous set pieces my god, you'd hate my Uncharted 4.

I'd have like 4 different neck snapping animations, double the body count (or matching UC2, at least), and all of the set pieces. All of them. The privileged white guy laughs would be out of control. One liners after every headshot and
priv
ledge takedown.

Alienous

The only part of the story where the action felt a bit weird to me was in
libertalia when Elena comes back, saves you, has that grim attitude on needing to save you. And then proceeds to join you in a shootout murdering tons of people. Especially since that's when the shootouts actually pick up

Even then
she confides in you that she wanted the thrill and adventure too
, so it does make sense.

I finished the game a few days ago and enjoyed it well enough, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. Today I popped in Uncharted 2 for the first time in years and was amazed at how much more fun it was in every way - not just gameplay but story and characters too. My biggest problem with 4 is that it felt like it was trying to be The Last of Us instead of pulpy Indiana Jones-esque campy adventure, and it just ended up dreary and dull. I hated the shoehorned "here's a brother who has literally never been mentioned before" thing, especially given that the plot of the last game of the series revolves almost entirely around a character who is obviously retconned in, and is pretty bland and unlikeable to boot.

I got a similar vibe. I feel like it was just too concerned with being taken seriously. And Sam just isn't a very good character. He's at his best
in the flashbacks
. Maybe 'not good' isn't the best way to describe him, because maybe that's how stilted the relationship between two estranged brothers would be, but he sure as hell isn't interesting.

You people complaining about neck snapping, body counts, and superfluous set pieces my god, you'd hate my Uncharted 4.

I'd have like 4 different neck snapping animations, double the body count (or matching UC2, at least), and all of the set pieces. All of them. The white privilege laughs would be out of control. One liners after every headshot and ledge takedown.

Make it happen!

I'd have like 4 different neck snapping animations, double the body count (or matching UC2, at least), and all of the set pieces. All of them. The white privilege laughs would be out of control. One liners after every headshot and ledge takedown.

"that guy's not getting ahead in life"

"now you're noggin on death's door"

i'll be here all night folks

Alienous

I'd have like 4 different neck snapping animations, double the body count (or matching UC2, at least), and all of the set pieces. All of them. The privileged white guy laughs would be out of control. One liners after every headshot and
priv
ledge takedown.

Don't forget the TLOU Multiplayer style executions.

"Hope you had life insurance"

"Kitty got dead"

Just finished the game, 9.5 for sure. I was nervous reading some of the Negative Nancy's in here, but then I remembered it's NeoGAF.

all this fun is making me uneasy. think i'll do the local rock climbing wall about 50 times to cool down

I love the rock climbing, rope swinging, and sliding in this game so much. Way more than in the past games and I also enjoyed it there. One of my favorite parts of the game was the second half of the Scotland chapter.

I love the rock climbing, rope swinging, and sliding in this game so much. Way more than in the past games and I also enjoyed it there. One of my favorite parts of the game was the second half of the Scotland chapter.

Climbing is basically the same as it ever was. Piton maybe gets one or two interesting moments ripped from Tomb Raider 2013 when you have to slam it into a wall after a big jump. Sliding and grappling are enjoyable, but are pretty one note for how often they're used. Outside of rare sequences like 21's rope->rope->slide bit, you hit one grapple/slide and you've hit them all.

None of those mechanics bother me a fundamental level, just with how they're used - the lack of depth and variety should relegate them to occasional palette cleansers at best. I would love to know how ND came to the conclusion that they should make up such a large portion of the experience.

Top Bottom