• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

leng jai

I gave up on my Crushing play through once I got to the section right after chapter 11. To be fair it's mostly because of Blood & Wine and U4 multiplayer.

joms5

Mmmm, I'm pretty apathetic to be honest.
I stopped playing after Chapter 16 and haven't touched it in two weeks.

Does the game pick up in the last third?
I think I'm feeling NaughtyDog genre fatigue at this point.

If you're not into it by chapter 16 i'd say there's not much more that would get you into it. Unless you really like the story. There are some decent action sequences but there are also some insanely long boring climbing sections.

You're so close to the end that I would say just push through. But damn they really needed to cut some of those last chapters a bit short.

I'll come with you. But first, give me a boost. And help me lift this. And hey is that a crate up there?

Try the rope!

Serious business though, I do enjoy the way the mobility mechanics are designed in this game.

They really do blend an incredible feeling of smooth motion with great third person shooting.

And damn I wish the piton was used more. I know it's just one more button to press, but it feels so good to press it. It reminds me a lot of manual grab from classic TR/Tomb Raider Anniversary. I really enjoy the sometimes tight/sometimes loose timing mechanics of that kind of stuff.

"that guy's not getting ahead in life"

"now you're noggin on death's door"

i'll be here all night folks

I wish there was a "kick from GAF" option...

... so I could definitely not use it because these are amazing.

Sorry, I thought ... we were on the same page ...

sorry ...

Obviously not. I just want more enemies to shoot in the face, and more explosions, and more wanton destruction of poor towns and ancient cities.

But executions? I'm not some bloodthirsty maniac. Seek help.

Neiteio

My main takeaway from UC4 is Naughty Dog has some amazing interior decorators. Dat Ch. 4 and dat Epilogue.

Epilogue spoilers:
Did you guys SEE the painted sinks? Sweet lawd.

My main takeaway from UC4 is Naughty Dog has some amazing interior decorators. Dat Ch. 4 and dat Epilogue.

Epilogue spoilers:
Did you guys SEE the painted sinks? Sweet lawd.
They have the most amazing fashion sense as well. I can't think of any game where characters dress as well as the characters in Uncharted. Especially 3 & 4

Kill3r7

Doom ruined UC4 for me. I tried getting back to it earlier this week and I just couldn't be bothered. It seems so slow. I might finally give DS3 a whirl before giving UC4 another try.

Neiteio

Doom ruined UC4 for me. I tried getting back to it earlier this week and I just couldn't be bothered. It seems so slow. I might finally give DS3 a whirl before giving UC4 another try.
DOOM ruined UC4 for me, too, although after two weeks I was able to re-acclimate to UC4's glacial pace.

Some say you see everything in DOOM by the midway point, but you see pretty much everything in UC4 (gameplay-wise) much earlier, and what's there isn't as fun mechanically.

Still... UC4 is so pretty. Again, the painted sinks!

Kill3r7

DOOM ruined UC4 for me, too, although after two weeks I was able to re-acclimate to UC4's glacial pace.

Some say you see everything in DOOM by the midway point, but you see pretty much everything in UC4 (gameplay-wise) much earlier, and what's there isn't as fun mechanically.

Still... UC4 is so pretty. Again, the painted sinks!

UC4 is arguably my favorite Sony franchise at this point. I enjoy the exploration aspects, humor/sarcasm and story telling but the gunplay seems slow especially coming off Doom. I own it digitally so at the very least, I will beat it and I am sure I will love it.

I'm... I'm not seeing the amazing fashion. They dress like myself and people in my everyday life.
That's part of why it's so amazing to me, its very natural, everyone's outfits are functional, they dress appropriately based on their environment, colors don't clash, great use of layering, accessories enhance a characters outfit, and of coarse Nathans perfected half-tuck.

zsynqx

How bout we move to a more positive topic for a little while? What was your favorite cut-scene?

Mine is between the one after the Madagascar chase and the one when they find
all dead pirates in the dining table.

When I think about it, all cut-scenes with Elena were great.

Dead pirates at table
is mine as well

joms5

Fave cutscene was probably a boring one to most but it hit me hard.

When
Nate, Sam and Sully come back to the safe house in Madagascar only to be shocked that Elena is waiting for him. I remember covering my mouth in shock as if I were in the room with them. I felt so shitty for Elena and hated Nate at that point. I thought he ruined everything. Got a bit of dust in my eye.

I thought the subtle facial expressions in that scene are the most impressive that i've ever seen. You see Nathan face slowly go from joy, to surprise, to remorse. It's beautiful.

Neiteio

Fave cutscene was probably a boring one to most but it hit me hard.

When
Nate, Sam and Sully come back to the safe house in Madagascar only to be shocked that Elena is waiting for him. I remember covering my mouth in shock as if I were in the room with them. I felt so shitty for Elena and hated Nate at that point. I thought he ruined everything. Got a bit of dust in my eye.

I thought the subtle facial expressions in that scene are the most impressive that i've ever seen. You see Nathan face slowly go from joy, to surprise, to remorse. It's beautiful.
That scene fell completely flat for me. Here's why: Why didn't Nate just say
I did this because I had to save my brother, and I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to feel compelled to come along and put yourself in danger.

Speaking of plot holes:
How did no one ever notice Libertalia from the air? From satellite? It's like the size of a small state and it's under open sky.

I did this because I had to save my brother, and I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to feel compelled to come along and put yourself in danger.

Speaking of plot holes:
How did no one ever notice Libertalia from the air? From satellite? It's like the size of a small state and it's under open sky.

This is how it is for so many lost cities, both in movies and in the Uncharted series. I don't really mind, as we wouldn't have a story otherwise, but the thing that makes me laugh is how if you simply circumnavigate the island you'll find a ton of sunken pirate ships. How convenient that no one ever saw that side of the island before! Haha. Or when Nate is exploring a cave underground filled with traps, but as soon as you get to the main chamber the roof is exposed and letting sunlight in. But like I said, it's fun to joke about but I don't mind.

Speaking of plot holes:

Well, if we go down this way,
how about those traps and contraptions fully working after centuries left in the elements? Entropy would have ruined everything. How come that gigantic clock tower in Madagascar, right in the middle of a big city, was left alone to rot?

Neiteio

This is how it is for so many lost cities, both in movies and in the Uncharted series. I don't really mind, as we wouldn't have a story otherwise, but the thing that makes me laugh is how if you simply circumnavigate the island you'll find a ton of sunken pirate ships. How convenient that no one ever saw that side of the island before! Haha. Or when Nate is exploring a cave underground filled with traps, but as soon as you get to the main chamber the roof is exposed and letting sunlight in. But like I said, it's fun to joke about but I don't mind.
Yeah, I ultimately don't mind it.

Something else that is funny:
Think of everything Avery built: The tests in Scotland... The breadcrumb trail of clues in Madagascar... All of those exorbitantly expensive mechanisms around the world... And then the sprawling colony of Libertalia itself... He built all of that to lure the other 11 captains into a false sense of security, so he could sneak out the backdoor with their treasure. Ha!

Neiteio

Well, if we go down this way,
how about those traps and contraptions fully working after centuries left in the elements? Entropy would have ruined everything. How come that gigantic clock tower in Madagascar, right in the middle of a big city, was left alone to rot?
Speaking of the clock tower in Ch. 11,
I like how no one in the market seems to have noticed the noise from the clock tower collapse when Nate and Sully open the doors and leave the tower

Ricky_R

Not sure I get you... You mean lie again?

Anyway
he made it clear that his concern wasn't her, but him. He didn't want to lose her, so that's why he lied again and why he couldn't amount to much when she caught him. There was also the small detail of never telling her about his brother, so... Your suggestion wouldn't have really work.

Yeah, I ultimately don't mind it.

Something else that is funny:
Think of everything Avery built: The tests in Scotland... The breadcrumb trail of clues in Madagascar... All of those exorbitantly expensive mechanisms around the world... And then the sprawling colony of Libertalia itself... He built all of that to lure the other 11 captains into a false sense of security, so he could sneak out the backdoor with their treasure. Ha!

Hum, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression
that the Libertalia idea was a legitimate thing, an utopia that brought the pirates together. But the greed and the treasure lust eventually ruined everything.

Neiteio

Not sure I get you... You mean lie again?

Anyway
he made it clear that his concern wasn't her, but him. He didn't want to lose her, so that's why he lied again and why he couldn't amount to much when she caught him. There was also the small detail of never telling her about his brother, so... Your suggestion wouldn't have really work.
I'm not sure it would be a lie, though.
Do you think he really wants to put Elena in danger? Sure, he may -also- be jumping on this because he craves adventure, but it's not like the two have to be mutually exclusive. As for not having told her about Sam, I chalk that up to it being a traumatic memory. He couldn't even bring himself to look at his memento of Sam in the attic.

Neiteio

Hum, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression
that the Libertalia idea was a legitimate thing, an utopia that brought the pirates together. But the greed and the treasure lust eventually ruined everything.
You might be right about that. I'm not clear on the whole sequence of events re: the pirates.

PensOwl

Banned
The dissonance of the rope thread ruined a scene near the end for me.
Where Drake goes off to save Sam and the cart they were using to climb up a ledge broke. Elena and Drake exchange heartfelt I love yous as they realize Drake must complete the final portion of this adventure alone, despite the fully functional rope swinging conspicuously by his side.

Neiteio

Where Drake goes off to save Sam and the cart they were using to climb up a ledge broke. Elena and Drake exchange heartfelt I love yous as they realize Drake must complete the final portion of this adventure alone, despite the fully functional rope swinging conspicuously by his side.
I didn't see that thread, but I totally noticed that when it happened in-game. I was actually talking to the screen:
"Use the rope. Use the rope."

I saw yet another way out:
they could just empty the cart, in order to make it lighter, push it up again and maybe even put one of those boxes to make it stop up there.

Ricky_R

I'm not sure it would be a lie, though.
Do you think he really wants to put Elena in danger? Sure, he may -also- be jumping on this because he craves adventure, but it's not like the two have to be mutually exclusive. As for not having told her about Sam, I chalk that up to it being a personal memory. He couldn't even bring himself to look at his memento of Sam in the attic.

It would be a lie because that wasn't really the reason. He saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and Elena saw through the bullshit.

What I mean by Sam is that it's a major blow. In addition to realising that Drake lied to her by going in another life risking adventure after promising he wouldn't, she also discovered he had a brother right there and then. I just think the scene was perfectly written and acted given the context.

PensOwl

Banned
Rope or not, it's just kinda lame that something you do over and over again in Uncharted- getting over a slightly too high ledge- suddenly becomes an unsolvable plot point.
the back end had been building up the idea of Elena being just as capable and adventure hungry as Drake, so seeing her get sidelined surprised me and disappointed me somewhat. Plus the whole crew escaping out of a perilous situation together one last time would have been awesome. I do understand how the faceoff between Drake rafe and Sam was a personal thing though and that Elena wouldn't fully belong

If I recall
Elena was saying "maybe we could..." before Nathan cuts her of and says "there's no time". She was about to suggest something, for all we know it could have been "... We can use the rope!". And even if they did follow Nathan, they wouldn't get far considering a lot of rope swinging was involved almost immediately after getting separated which neither Sully or Elena have. Besides, getting the plane ready while Nathan rescues Sam was a better idea anyways

Neiteio

It would be a lie because that wasn't really the reason. He saw an opportunity to shoot two birds with one stone and Elena saw through the bullshit.

What I mean by Sam is that it's a major blow. In addition to realising that Drake lied to her by going in another life risking adventure after promising he wouldn't, she also discovered he had a brother right there and then. I just think the scene was perfectly written and acted given the context.
I think it's perfectly understandable why he had kept the latter to himself. (Again, the trauma that keeps him from even acknowledging it to himself when he's alone in the attic.) Sure, he fucked up by not telling her — but given his primary motivation was saving his brother's life, it's not the kind of fuck-up that couldn't be smoothed over a bit with some honest explanation. And again: Him enjoying the adventure once he's on it doesn't change the fact he tried to back out of it when Sam first brought it up, and Sam had to talk him into it, with his life hanging in the balance.

It all felt pretty contrived. Everything in terms of character relations feels only half there. Like I said before: Nate kinda hurts Elena; Elena kinda has no trouble forgiving him; Sam kinda learns nothing ("Seeking adventure put my loved ones in danger. Time for Sully and I to seek more adventure!"); Sully is kinda just there; Nadine kinda just loses interest; Rafe is just... well, kinda whatever in the end. None of the heroes really lose or gain anything, emotionally or in terms of character growth. They end up pretty darn close to where they began the story.

joms5

That makes sense.
I just think the shock of her being there and the fact that he was caught in a lie throws all logical explanations out the window.

Don't forget that he does eventually explain everything to her. But it doesn't really matter why he's there. It matters that he lied to her about it.

After watching that scene again god damn it's sooooo good. Elena's performance is top notch. Same with Sully. His one line says so much.

Ricky_R

Again, I think it's perfectly understandable why he had kept the latter to himself (again, the trauma that keeps him from even acknowledging it to himself when he's alone in the attic). Sure, he fucked up by not telling her — but given his primary motivation was saving his brother's life, it's not the kind of fuckup that couldn't be smoothed over a fair bit with some honest explanation. And again: Him enjoying the adventure once he's on it doesn't change the fact he tried to back out of it when Sam first brought it up, and Sam had to talk him into it, with his life hanging in the balance.

It all felt pretty contrived. Everything in terms of character relations feels only half there. Like I said before: Nate kinda hurts Elena; Elena kinda has no trouble forgiving him; Sam kinda learns nothing ("Seeking adventure put my loved ones in danger. Time for Sully and I to seek more adventure!"); Sully is kinda just there; Nadine kinda just loses interest; Rafe is just... well, kinda whatever a the end. None of the heroes really lose or gain anything, emotionally or in terms of character growth. They end pretty darn close to where they began.

That's fine and all, but I just don't see what that has to do with your suggestion for that scene. It wouldn't be that simple... Too many lies, caught red handed with clear excitement of the thrill. Sam's "debt" might've been the trigger, but Nate wanted it inside and the game makes it clear later on.

Neiteio

That's fine and all, but I just don't see what that has to do with your suggestion for that scene. It wouldn't be that simple... Too many lies, caught red handed with clear excitement of the thrill. Sam's "debt" might've been the trigger, but Nate wanted it inside and the game makes it clear later on.
White lies, meant to save his brother and protect her. Yes, he was also getting some kicks along the way. But the catalyst most definitely was saving his brother. It just doesn't seem like anything that couldn't have been resolved simply by taking a moment to talk to her. They drag it out because they want it resolved later. (And even there, it's not really... talked about in any detail, the characters agreeing to go through it offscreen after their adventure.)

16BitNova

Well, just finished playing through the Uncharted Series (surprisingly didn't get franchise fatigue) and I'm so sad it's over. These games were a blast. Uncharted 4 may be my favorite because I'm a sucker for good story telling and Naughty Dogs ability to tell a story in a videogame is second to none. The emotions, expressions, animations were all on point. I hope to see this franchise rest for a long while but, I do hope that some day we will get to revisit it. So what are people thinking the DLC will be? My idea is
One of Sam and Sully's adventures

Oh, one more thing, if someone can help me understand.
Why did Sam make up all that shit about Alcaraz or whatever that drug lords name was? Why drag his brother in with lies? He was very good at finding the treasure all on his own. I mean he was already working with Rafe, so why did he even bother getting Drake to steal the cross at the auction if he was working with Rafe, who was already going to buy it? I don't get why he was working with Rafe and against him at the same time??

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Had the game for 2 weeks now and only just made it up to Chapter 12? Whatever chapter it is it's the one that carries on from the intro on the high seas. Loving this game so far, probably my favourite Uncharted game on what I've played.

And thanks ND for finally giving us Crushing difficulty from the start rather than unlocking it.

Ricky_R

White lies, meant to save his brother and protect her. Yes, he was also getting some kicks along the way. But the catalyst most definitely was saving his brother. It just doesn't seem like anything that couldn't have been resolved simply by taking a moment to talk to her. They drag it out because they want it resolved later. (And even there, it's not really... talked about in any detail, the characters agreeing to go through it offscreen after their adventure.)

Lies about the Malaysia job. Then, on top of that, the news about the brother that, regardless of his reason for not mentioning him, made matters worse. Anyway, the point is that "protecting" Elena was never the reason as he points out to her later on in the game, which is why your suggestion wouldn't work and why I think the scene works great as it is. Given the context.

The game continuously reminds us how Drake still really loves the adventure, which is why it's pretty clear to me that he saw an opportunity to scract that itch when Sam asked for his help. I don't think Elena's safety even crossed his mind then.

Edit: Thought you said "What lies" instead of white.

Neiteio

Lies about the Malaysia job. Then, on top of that, the news about the brother that, regardless of his reason for not mentioning him, made matters worse. Anyway, the point is that "protecting" Elena was never the reason as he points out to her later on in the game, which is why your suggestion wouldn't work and why I think the scene works great as it is. Given the context.

The game continuously reminds us how Drake still really loves the adventure, which is why it's pretty clear to me that he saw an opportunity to scract that itch when Sam asked for his help. I don't think Elena's safety even crossed his mind then.
I'm not sure you know what "white lies" mean.

Main point is, he was trying to save Sam. That makes the situation dramatically more complicated than him being straight with her. He had his very understandable emotional reasons why he didn't mention him before, and now he was in grave peril and that was what set off the chain of events. However he feels about it while on the job is a moot point next to the reason for it all in the first place.

I just didn't find the scene convincing because it didn't seem like something that couldn't be resolved by following her into the next room and, well, talking. I'm assuming he didn't set sail for Ch. 12 the very next minute.

Ricky_R

I'm not sure you know what "white lies" mean.

Main point is, he was trying to save Sam. That makes the situation dramatically more complicated than him being straight with her. He had his very understandable emotional reasons why he didn't mention him before, and now he was in grave peril and that was what set off the chain of events. However he feels about it while on the job is a moot point next to the reason for it all in the first place.

I just didn't find the scene convincing because it didn't seem like something that couldn't be resolved by following her into the next room and, well, talking. I'm assuming he didn't set sail for Ch. 12 the very next minute.

Read my edit... Anyway, I just don't think it's that simple. That's aside from the fact that he didn't lie to protect her, like you implied. Given the history Nate and Elena have together and given the context of the games, it's clear why Nate couldn't handle himself in that scene and it's understandable. He fucked up and he knew it, and there was no way Elena would've listened to him anymore after that.

Elena really didn't give a shit about why he had to save Sam either. She was just sicken by the fact that he lied big time and he was enjoying the whole thing. The game never reveals or implies that he wants to protect her is all. Which, again, is why I don't think your suggestion would've worked. It just doesn't fit.

Quotient

I just finished Uncharted 4. WOW, just WOW. Naughty Dog are truly at another level when it comes to story telling in games. The voice acting and animation are also some of the best i have ever seen with a pristine picture quality. Nolan North, Emily Rose and Troy Baker are just phenomenal and especially Troy - his voice as Sam is just perfect. These characters feel so real to me. It is hard to fathom they are just bits and bytes on my PS4.

My 4-year old daughter begs to stay up late and watch Nathan's adventure.

I just finished Uncharted 4. WOW, just WOW. Naughty Dog are truly at another level when it comes to story telling in games. The voice acting and animation are also some of the best i have ever seen with a pristine picture quality. Nolan North, Emily Rose and Troy Baker are just phenomenal and especially Troy - his voice as Sam is just perfect. These characters feel so real to me. It is hard to fathom they are just bits and bytes on my PS4.

My 4-year old daughter begs to stay up late and watch Nathan's adventure.

"Snap his neck, daddy."

I am somewhere near
New Devon
, and all I want to say is that I want a special edition of this game that entirely cuts out any and all vehicular sections. I loathe them. Hate hate hate. Just let me watch a cutscene and skip over them.

That is all.

I am somewhere near
New Devon
, and all I want to say is that I want a special edition of this game that entirely cuts out any and all vehicular sections. I loathe them. Hate hate hate. Just let me watch a cutscene and skip over them.

That is all.

The vehicle sections are some of my favorite stuff of the entire game. SO good.

Top Bottom