• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 has ND's best opening sequence in Arne Meyer's opinion

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A playable montage of scenes from the previous Uncharted games and new scenes (such as whatever events led up to Sam's arrest), seamlessly flowing into each-other, all created from scratch in Uncharted 4's engine, ending in Nathan Drake waking up at his work desk.

As I've said before, those choices we see are played out in real time. We get to play the memory which is why the camera pans up and then down so quickly. They cut that out so they didn't give it away. Believe.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Our latest game has the best opening ever.- Developer of said game.

Thus setting up a huge disappointment if is isn't. How many other developers say this about the opening of their game? Your remark makes no sense. He's being very specific here.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This was coming from how I was playing through the game from the beginning after we hit GM and I was really impressed on how the opening shaped up on all levels. I didn't want to stop playing and I know the game, so I thought that was saying something to me as someone who plays games.

I did clearly say that it was in my opinion - so separate from hypetrain statements and most certainly arguable or fallible. :)

Hyped.

Sad one has to write, 'in my opinion', even when it came from one's own mouth, so the kiddies don't go all insane, lol.

zsynqx

This was coming from how I was playing through the game from the beginning after we hit GM and I was really impressed on how the opening shaped up on all levels. I didn't want to stop playing and I know the game, so I thought that was saying something to me as someone who plays games.

I did clearly say that it was in my opinion - so separate from hypetrain statements and most certainly arguable or fallible. :)
Thanks arne.

Also, is there any chance you could release the Madagascar demo on PSN? :)

Listen. I just wanted to know who the person was. I'm sorry I didn't phrase properly. Geez.

Look, I'm just saying that recently (in the past few months or so), there have been lots of people who go into threads about whoever and post "Who?" and nothing else simply to troll and look cool for not knowing who the person is. And people have been banned for doing it.

But to answer your question, Arne Meyer is Director of Communications at Naughty Dog. I didn't know who he was either until I googled him. And I found my answer.

And apparently he has a GAF account...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Can we turn the yellow outlines off without turning off the tagging system? If not, how long would it take to create a patch? Everyone else is too polite to ask :)

Plum

UC3 had the whole "flashback to Young version of protagonist's first adventure" thing.

If 4 doesn't start with Nate driving past Russians whilst blaring Elvis then I will be severely disappointed.

In my personal opinion this is our strongest beginning, opening sequence for games since the Last of Us,

lol
Well that's certainly easy when their last game was The Last of Us.
-"In my personal opinion, today has been the best day I've had since yesterday."

Does not mean that it is their best opening ever.
But it does bode well, that they're talking about the beginning being good.

Chao

UC3 had the whole "flashback to Young version of protagonist's first adventure" thing.

If 4 doesn't start with Nate driving past Russians whilst blaring Elvis then I will be severely disappointed.

UC4 seems to have the "flashback to Young version of protagonist's first adventure... with his brother"

Plum

UC4 seems to have the "flashback to Young version of protagonist's first adventure... with his brother"

Oh, then it'll be interesting how they manage to top TLoU's with it. I can't see much room for massive setpieces and the like, but then again I'm not a Writer so how would I know.

Kathian

Banned
This is so silly. Its PR. The 'since' covers himself. All he's doing is adding U4 and LoU in the same sentence to entice LoU fans.

This is so silly. Its PR. The 'since' covers himself. All he's doing is adding U4 and LoU in the same sentence to entice LoU fans.

tumblr_n9qkn0pdRz1sxpnovo1_500.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
naughty dog developer: 'our game is amazing!'

i mean i am hyped as f for uncharted 4 but...............

Relevant how? (for the record I do, just didn't want to share it. yeesh)

Oh man, I can't wait to play the game!

Ein Bear

Not to be too negative, but to be fair this isn't too hard a bar to pass.

The stealth sequence at the start of UC2 was the lowpoint of the game, the young Drake stuff at the start of UC3 was boring and the Last of Us didn't really come into its own until you were about three hours in after Bill's Town.

Naughty Dog make fantastic games, but they've never been particularly strong at starting the things.

Robot Pants

I've been on blackout since like the second teaser trailer (something a while ago) and even though Dark Souls is my favorite game if all time, I'm super hyped for dark souls 3, I still feel like UC4 is gonna be such an amazing game and probably GOTY by far. Maybe even GOTG

The stealth sequence at the start of UC2 was the lowpoint of the game, the young Drake stuff at the start of UC3 was boring and the Last of Us didn't really come into its own until you were about three hours in after Bill's Town.

Naughty Dog make fantastic games, but they've never been particularly strong at starting the things.
lol, what a silly opinion. U2 and TLOU are known to have some of the best openings, especially the latter.

zsynqx

The hanging train is the opening in UC2.

The quarantine zone stuff isn't considered part of the opening in TLOU, it's what comes before that.

Both of those sequences are very highly regarded.

Damn I can't wait to play this. The UCC was my first intro to the series and I blasted through those so fast. Not because I'm that fast of a player but because I could barely stop playing.

Memento

Not to be rude, but you are in the minority with these opinions...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is one of those instances, where 'opinions' can be straight up bullshit lies.

Gurish

Can we turn the yellow outlines off without turning off the tagging system? If not, how long would it take to create a patch? Everyone else is too polite to ask :)

This please, Arne if you can move this request forward it would be great.

Wouldn't mind the PSX awareness outline as well, but that yellow thing with the big icon on their head...sheesh.

zsynqx

This is one of those instances, where 'oponions' can be straight up bullshit lies.

Well it's technically not bullshit to be fair. The stealth part was crap in UC2 and TLOU didn't come into it's own until Bill's town (ignoring the prologue). Just a misunderstanding about what the actual opening was in those 2 games.

Gurish

Well it's technically not bullshit to be fair. The stealth part was crap in UC2 and TLOU didn't come into it's own until Bill's town (ignoring the prologue). Just a misunderstanding about what the actual opening was in those 2 games.

But we are talking about the opening, and TLOU's opening was brilliant.

U2's opening, waking up in the wrecked train was also awesome.

So no, it's technically not correct.

zsynqx

I know, see my other post.

The hanging train is the opening in UC2.

The quarantine zone stuff isn't considered part of the opening in TLOU, it's what comes before that.

Both of those sequences are very highly regarded.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Bingo, lol.

It really is that simple. Come on people.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.

Did you even play Uncharted 2 ? The train sequence was the opening.

The openings are cool

The actual opening chapters are dull

U2 museum is zzzzzz
U3 walking and shit zzzzz
Tlou until you get Ellie zzzz

Plum

I do kind of agree with Ein Bear, Naughty Dog really knows how to open a game but they aren't that great at pacing the first few hours of gameplay.

UC2's and TLoU's on-rails set piece openings were great but the actual gameplay parts afterwards weren't the best those games had to offer. The gameplay for those two doesn't really get great until Drake gets to Peru and Joel gets to Bill's Town.

Frillen

How the hell can you seriously forget climbing up a train dangling off the side of a cliff?

Especially since you play that sequence twice in the game.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Thought it was tedious and nothing memorable. Hated when I had to do it a second time. Yay climbing simulator, where some piece of the train falls off right after you swing or jump to another part constantly. Like, how much luck can you have within 10 minutes?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The more I watch these previews, the more I get impressed by all the dialogue. It's not just audio either. There's actual acting while those little conversations take place. It's remarkable.

Top Bottom