• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy VI

luffie

Overrated? Nah OP just playing it on a different time, comparing mechanics then and now is just not right. Back then, their mechanics was considered one of the best in the whole rpg genre. Looking at their story and cutscenes, it's still better than most games now. The protagonist is a female, and the baddies actually win, and that's incredible.

Bet if they make a remake of it with FF7R mechanics, everyone will be salivating. I know I will

Trogdor1123

oJnGQoZ.jpg

Chainsaw is all you need.
I was a fan of the drill due to RNG and auto cross bow is so op at the start.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't think it's overrated. People are vocal of their love for it but people usually talk about 7 or 10 before they talk about 6.

Cool that you played through it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ultros is everywhere

Krathoon

FF6 Update
It seems like putting Banon in the second row was enough to protect him. I made it past Ultros. Now, I had Mog pick Sabin. I guess that goes to the Ghost Train.

Velius

Banned
After they
destroy Kefka. I wish there was more story moments with the characters. Also some signs that they're progressively building back the world.
Did you turn the game off as soon
as Kefka died? After they get out that's what they show- people rebuilding, flowers and life starting to regrow

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I haven't seen anyone attribute the mainstream success of Final Fantasy to this game. It was definitely VII. VI didn't sell especially well., or grow the fanbase for the series in a tangible way.

Agreed on the game being a bit rough on spots, and character arcs aren't very satisfying. Yet speaking of battles and traversal, it was ahead of the curve. This game isn't grindy, and the battles are quick enough. Random encounter rate is high, but you get a moogle charm for the last third of the game that alleviates the issue.
VI planted the hype seeds for VII, especially with the video game magazines back then

Pilgrimzero

Still remember picking it up and playing it the 1st time when it was released. The intro march into town was mind blowing.

You can tell who came to the series later. As someone who started with FF1, I can tell you 6 has more than earned it’s hype.

Also 7 is actually over hyped. Only thing it had going for it was next gen visuals.

Last edited:

Bakkus

Did you turn the game off as soon
as Kefka died? After they get out that's what they show- people rebuilding, flowers and life starting to regrow
I recall something along these lines being shown. But more artistically and less clear.

Velius

Banned
Still remember picking it up and playing it the 1st time when it was released. The intro march into town was mind blowing.

You can tell who came to the series later. As someone who started with FF1, I can tell you 6 has more than earned it’s hype.

Also 7 is actually over hyped. Only thing it had going for it was next gen visuals.
While I wouldn't agree that VII only had the visuals going for it-- the rest is largely correct. IV was marred by a great deal of cringe and those of us on the "internet" back then mostly couldn't play V, and had to get news/feedback from those who did. VI was the first time you could look at what they were trying to do and agree they'd accomplished the mission. VII had the casuals frothing and those who'd been playing FF games since the NES were puzzled.

I also remember the snowy trek towards Narshe. I knew then and there I was playing my favorite game of all time

Krathoon

The summons in later games greatly improved on the espers in VI. Going to 3D did wonders for that feature.

Top Bottom