• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Rozart

Absolutely not. Neil mentioned that while there would be spoilers it wouldn't be anything major. Any gameplay of this sequence seems like it would be deemed a major spoiler.

Good to know! Don't need anymore story spoilers since I'm already sold on the game.

EDIT:
However, the lengths that some of y'all are going just to defend this are just... man. Simply being accused of racism has caused some of the clowns in here to expose themselves.

What lengths?

And here I was ready to post the most offensive shit imaginable to get my illustrious first ban and access to Gaf Gold.
Bwahaha, saved you ;)
Good to know! Don't need anymore story spoilers since I'm already sold on the game.
This will just sell you more :p
Do I even want to know...?
A bunch of blind people complained that there weren't black people in the trailer. Even though anyone with a pair of eyes in their head could see black people throughout the trailer.

Man, there's just no way to win. It's like if you even attempt to take a step in the positive direction you have to run through a long and complex maze.

-People complain about the lack of female villains
-Strong non-stereotypical black female villain gets added
-Claims that the writer positions Nate & Nadine as White = Hero / Black = Villain

Should they just make Nadine Ross white and avoid having a black villain? What if she was another minority? Would people still see it as White = Hero vs Asian/Hispanic/Native American/etc = Villain? I doubt it.

And therein lies the problem. Some people are just so incessant on this that they're eventually going to produce the opposite effect they want. Why should a creator bother going through the controversy of having a black character in their work if it also means having to water down the story to the point where it's about as much "drama" as a Lifetime or Disney Channel original movie of the month?

Like I said before, the topic itself about minorities (in this case, black minorities) in the industry has merit, but not in the context of this event, so it feels forced that it's been bought up, nevermind become the main narrative. ND has already proven one of the most progressive AAA devs when it comes to casting people for VA work, and a lot of Sony studios are more progressive when it comes to having black people in various roles of employment, not just for VA but other areas like marketing, art, sound, and programming.

So why not direct this kind of focus towards devs who have actually shown a bad track record at diversity both with representation in games and actual employee make-up?

Your other point at the end is also a bit depressing b/c it also kind of creates this feedback loop where a lot of folks tell themselves only black people actually experience discrimination or racism. I'm not going to say other groups have it as bad (though this honestly does depend on what part of the world we're dealing with here), but the constant loop that's reinforced by taking such an extreme look at it, diminishes what struggles they do face. It's unfair to them and it's unfair to black people as well.

Oh definitely. You're just in time for PSX too; you'll know when the fun starts once you reach it.

EDIT: Beaten by orthodoxy1095 and late as a mule in molasses to realize.

I do have to wonder how much more of this scene they'll show tomorrow. Will it start where it started in this trailer, move through the fight and then onward? Or does it start at a party or something (hence her heels), move through the city and end with the fight (cue another OH SHIT Drake moment)?

And therein lies the problem. Some people are just so incessant on this that they're eventually going to produce the opposite effect they want. Why should a creator bother going through the controversy of having a black character in their work if it also means having to water down the story to the point where it's about as much "drama" as a Lifetime or Disney Channel original movie of the month?

Like I said before, the topic itself about minorities (in this case, black minorities) in the industry has merit, but not in the context of this event, so it feels forced that it's been bought up, nevermind become the main narrative. ND has already proven one of the most progressive AAA devs when it comes to casting people for VA work, and a lot of Sony studios are more progressive when it comes to having black people in various roles of employment, not just for VA but other areas like marketing, art, sound, and programming.

So why not direct this kind of focus towards devs who have actually shown a bad track record at diversity both with representation in games and actual employee make-up?

Your other point at the end is also a bit depressing b/c it also kind of creates this feedback loop where a lot of folks tell themselves only black people actually experience discrimination or racism. I'm not going to say other groups have it as bad (though this honestly does depend on what part of the world we're dealing with here), but the constant loop that's reinforced by taking such an extreme look at it, diminishes what struggles they do face. It's unfair to them and it's unfair to black people as well.
Why do you think this criticism is harmful? You think ND can't understand what they've done right/done wrong, and that they'll just give up altogether?

People act like someone questioning whether something's bad is the most harmful, stressful thing in the world for the one getting questioned.

jWILL253

Banned
Wait are you claiming the only people who are acting up are those defending the casting? Seriously?

EDIT:

What lengths?

The whole "I don't see color" nonsense... the poster who suggested the VA isn't Black because ND doesn't want the character's voice to be "ghetto"... the GG-approved "PC police" nonsense... Ring any bells?

And those are just the ones I read across the first 5 pages or so.. I'm sure there's more in the rest of the thread.

PBY

Banned
Why do you think this criticism is harmful? You think ND can't understand what they've done right/done wrong, and that they'll just give up altogether?

People act like someone questioning whether something's bad is the most harmful, stressful thing in the world for the one getting questioned.
Seriously. No ones accusing ND of anything, asking for any repercussions or really doing angything along those lines.

A conversation is this toxic?

The trailer had 0 black people apparently and gaffers were going nuts and throwing tables over it. Until SolidSnakex took about 5 screencaps to reveal that half of GAF is sadly colour blind :p

It wasn't that extreme, but it was still ridiculous. The question "Where are the black people at QD?" seriously blew my mind

PBY

Banned
The whole "I don't see color" nonsense... the poster who suggested the VA isn't Black because ND doesn't want the character's voice to be "ghetto"... the GG-approved "PC police" nonsense... Ring any bells?

And those are just the ones I read across the first 5 pages or so.. I'm sure there's more in the rest of the thread.
There is so so much coded shit in this thread it's crazy considering how benign the thing we're discussing is. But damn. I post mostly in the OT, but the perspective difference in this side has been shocking. Maybe it's just this particular issue.

To the point raised in this thread about Laura's casting perhaps being a product of the script rework, I heard that they didn't manage to get the original VA's for multiplayer characters like Flynn, Lazarević and Marlowe as well. Is that true?

jWILL253

Banned
There is so so much coded shit in this thread it's crazy considering how benign the thing we're discussing is. But damn. I post mostly in the OT, but the perspective difference in this side has been shocking. Maybe it's just this particular issue.

Nah, it happens in OT, too.

In OT, no one sees color or race... until it's time to profile some Muslims and/or defend another murderous cop.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Maybe her schedule was too busy for VA work?

I mean better yet, why not just ask her on Twitter or Facebook her feelings on the character, if ND reached out to her, if she had scheduling conflicts, etc? Do you really feel the need to jump to the "they're racist!" angle right off the bat?

The fuck? Where in my posts did I reference racism? Show me one and I'll get the fuck out.

Enjoy your vacation.

I hope you realise that acting is a lot more than just how you look. They may have liked a certain look from certain actors, but not the performances of whomever they would have auditioned for the role.

Hell, they said they originally wanted an old Texan for the role of Joel, and ended up using Troy Baker who's fairly young and not even Texan. Likewise with Ellie being played by Ashley Johnson, who as you may have noticed is not actually 14 years old...

We've already been over this. Good direction goes a long way. I was curious to know why ND had chosen a - coincidentally - South African actress for the looks and not the performance.

The trailer had 0 black people apparently and gaffers were going nuts and throwing tables over it. Until SolidSnakex took about 5 screencaps to reveal that half of GAF is sadly colour blind :p

It wasn't that extreme, but it was still ridiculous. The question "Where are the black people at QD?" seriously blew my mind

Yup, throwing tables, goin' HAM... calling for blood. A veritable lynch mob

because people posted about it on a message board. It was scary

The fuck? Where in my posts did I reference racism? Show me one and I'll get the fuck out.

Enjoy your vacation.

We've already been over this. Good direction goes a long way. I was curious to know why ND had chosen a - coincidentally - South African actress for the looks and not the performance.

Are you telling me that she is a South African black woman and they chose a South African white woman to voice the part?

That black character could be Jamaican or Brazilian with a South African dialect. How did you extrapolate all of that from the trailer?

How much time would a director have to give directions to the VA. Games are being delayed already because of time and budgetary constraints.

Why is it that blacks can voice white characters but not the other way around. As a black person, a more perfect union does not require political correctness, we need to change hearts.

Priorities folks

well, we can assume Neil and ND are going to respond to this Laura Bailey situation in a few days..I doubt they will keep quiet, this is something that might hurt the game come March.

Aurongel

well, we can assume Neil and ND are going to respond to this Laura Bailey situation in a few days..I doubt they will keep quiet, this is something that might hurt the game come March.
Hurt the game for a handful of people with too much time on message boards maybe.

I never said it was harmful. I just said it's been odd seeing it spring up from this trailer, given ND's track record. I'm sure someone there is thinking they could've hired a black South African for the VA job but who knows, maybe they did but stuff changed because reasons. Or maybe there was a certain way to the delivery they wanted and Laura just happened to bring what they wanted at the right time.

It could also be a star power thing, wanting that kind of Hollywood big-shot cast for the VA. That'd be a bit more shameful reason but not one to rake ND through the coals more than other AAA devs who are much more guilty of it and the aforementioned slight I alluded to.

so you guys dont think this will cause anything on the level of "RE 5 is racist" controversy..?

i mean my thoughts, i perfectly understand why many people might not like this, but i do believe ND has a valid reason for doing so

Gibbo

They shouldn't have to respond to this at all. This is another case of 'gamers' making a mountain out of a molehill, something which is is becoming annoyingly more common on this message board in recent months.

I feel embarrassed for some for you guys if you think this is a big issue

so you guys dont think this will cause anything on the level of "RE 5 is racist" controversy..?

i mean my thoughts, i perfectly understand why many people might not like this, but i do believe ND has a valid reason for doing so
Given that they might be able to just point to their own troubled development as a rationale, no I don't think anyone will care all that much.

More on topic, I feel like I'm just posing questions to myself, no one wants to discuss the trailer ;_;

I never said it was harmful. I just said it's been odd seeing it spring up from this trailer, given ND's track record. I'm sure someone there is thinking they could've hired a black South African for the VA job but who knows, maybe they did but stuff changed because reasons. Or maybe there was a certain way to the delivery they wanted and Laura just happened to bring what they wanted at the right time.

It could also be a star power thing, wanting that kind of Hollywood big-shot cast for the VA. That'd be a bit more shameful reason but not one to rake ND through the coals more than other AAA devs who are much more guilty of it and the aforementioned slight I alluded to.

And someone with a good track record can mess up, or have room for improvement. No one's ignoring ND's pedigree.

Ran rp

the only reason this discussion lasted so long was because of the ridiculous backlash to any sort of race talk. no one's trying to make a huge issue out of this particular casting decision.

there isn't a huge controversy here, just people acting like there is

Look, I like that fact that there is a sista in a game and I agree that it should have been a sista all the way through the process (since in my opinion, they really got the whole thing right. Like a real life black women) but personally, I'm not exactly mad that she is being voiced by a caucasian women.

Maybe I just can't see the "on the surface" issue with this, but I do see the underlining. But like I said, I'm not angry. Disappointed yes, but not enough to throw up arms. Some of the comments in this thread though...Lord

A trailer gets released with a hottie black female, voiced by a white Hollywood talent..you get 36pages of dumb ( end of the world )

Does this situation bother me...HELL NO..I get done with the SP and move on..period.

Rozart

There were extreme comments (i.e. driveby shitposts) slung from both ends. The "digital blackface" one is one cringingly noteworthy example.

I think this is an interesting conversation to have. I think the fact that concerns regarding the need for a greater representation of minorities in the media have been brought up as a consistent talking point is a great step in the right direction and all in all, it's emblematic of a society that's eager for change.

But every issue is framed by its context and if one were to cast a critical eye at this situation at hand, the outrage over this casting choice has been terribly overblown imo (which is something you seem to agree with as well I think?). Just one look at ND's pedigree would inform someone that this is a studio with games that embraces diversity (be it racial diversity, sexual preferences etc.). Eddie Raja, Marlene, Henry, Sam, Salim, Riley were all voiced by POCs. Trying to frame this casting choice as some sort of affront to a greater social issue just comes across forced to me.

If there were ever to be a physical representation of the saying, 'making a mountain out of a molehill', this thread would be it.

Jeez...I don't remember Clementine gets this kind of controversy when it turned out it was played by a grown white woman.

Yeap.

TheTurboFD

A trailer gets released with a hottie black female, voiced by a white Hollywood talent..you get 36pages of dumb ( end of the world )

Does this situation bother me...HELL NO..I get done with the SP and move on..period.

Which is sad because the first couple of posts liked it and some thought the VA was Merle Dandridge it was only until that ONE post that everyone wanted to blow up and start an issue.

O yea what made you change your mind? Uncharted 4 looking good?

Graphics, animation and Art are top notch.

Story and characters seem genuinely interesting.

And its made by ND who has a tendency to turn things on its head a little bit....( in a great way ) lol

I've slowly come to this conclusion.

Ran rp

There were extreme comments (i.e. driveby shitposts) slung from both ends. The "digital blackface" one is one cringingly noteworthy example.

I think this is an interesting conversation to have. I think the fact that concerns regarding the need for a greater representation of minorities in the media have been brought up as a consistent talking point is a great step in the right direction and all in all, it's emblematic of a society that's eager for change.

But every issue is framed by its context and if one were to cast a critical eye at this situation at hand, the outrage over this casting choice has been terribly overblown imo (which is something you seem to agree with as well I think?). Just one look at ND's pedigree would inform someone that this is a studio with games that embraces diversity (be it racial diversity, sexual preferences etc.). Eddie Raja, Marlene, Henry, Sam, Salim, Riley were all voiced by POCs. Trying to frame this casting choice as some sort of affront to a greater social issue just comes across forced to me.

If there were ever to be a physical representation of the saying, 'making a mountain out of a molehill', this thread would be it.

Yeap.

see, this is what i'm talking about. where are you seeing outrage? who's cursing out naughty dog? who's swearing off all naughty dog games? did someone start a twitter campaign?

where is it?

MiguelItUp

Jeez...I don't remember Clementine gets this kind of controversy when it turned out it was played by a grown white woman.
Ditto. I'm sure there are other characters that haven't had the same reaction. Not sure what the difference is here.

I need to watch that multiplayer footage, I saw the reveal teaser / trailer but I didn't look at the other footage. It's looking a lot better than 3's multiplayer, eh? I just don't look at Uncharted and picture multiplayer. However there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice package containing both a great sp and mp. I still don't have a PS4 and I'm just waiting for the urge and want to get to the highest point so I can.

Ditto. I'm sure there are other characters that haven't had the same reaction. Not sure what the difference is here.

I need to watch that multiplayer. I saw the reveal teaser / trailer. But I didn't look at the other footage. It's looking a lot better than 3's multiplayer, eh? I just don't look at Uncharted and picture multiplayer. However there's absolutely nothing wrong with a nice package containing both a great sp and mp. I still don't have a PS4 and I'm just waiting for the urge and want to get to the highest point so I can.
The multiplayer looks crazy good! I saw some screenshots and I was floored by how fun and gorgeous it looks...

Top Bottom