• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
While I agree to an extent, they definitely don't have the same impact given how groundbreaking it was for the time.

Sure, but they are still a fun romp and I have enjoyed my Hard playthroughs as a build up to UC4. Right now I am on Chapter 10 of UC3, I forgot how much they improved the weapon sounds on this game.

Posted it in the otther thread but the Easter egg is impossible to miss FYI. It's part of the games progression so fret not.

Soriku

Better gunplay and movement than MGSV?

TLOU was a big improvement over the Uncharted games when it comes to gunplay, so no surprises when it comes to the improvements here.

Thank you for your impressions!

How does it compare mechanically to MGSV? I loved the beta and thought it was the best playing tps mechanically alongside MGSV but I know the MP was 60 fps. Given that the SP is 30 fps does it still feel mechanically as satisfying?

Great question, I love MGSV, best game of this gen for me easily mainly because it is the best playing TPS ever made, mechanically it's perfect.

I am still early but I can say U4 feels amazing to move and surprisingly shoot in a way that impressed me like MGSV and RE4 way back when. But obviously U4 doesn't have half the abilities snake has so the actual gameplay isn't as deep. mechanically though, yeah it's in that area, it feels so good.

The 30fps has had zero impact on me. Normally I never cared about that stuff, this year I got a gaming PC so I have enjoyed 60fps gaming. I played ratchet last week and it was noticeable drop for a few hours but the game looked and played so good it didn't matter. The same for this game, I'm too busy being in awe of everything to notice the frame rate.

brau

Great question, I love MGSV, best game of this gen for me easily mainly because it is the best playing TPS ever made, mechanically it's perfect.

I am still early but I can say U4 feels amazing to move and surprisingly shoot in a way that impressed me like MGSV and RE4 way back when. But obviously U4 doesn't have half the abilities snake has so the actual gameplay isn't as deep. mechanically though, yeah it's in that area, it feels so good.

The 30fps has had zero impact on me. Normally I never cared about that stuff, this year I got a gaming PC so I have enjoyed 60fps gaming. I played ratchet last week and it was noticeable drop for a few hours but the game looked and played so good it didn't matter. The same for this game, I'm too busy being in awe of everything to notice the frame rate.

you are making it really hard to wait for my copy next tuesday haha.

reKon

Banned
Yeah people keep bringing up MGS V. That was the main game I wanted to see comparisons made to because MGS V looked amazing gameplay wise (still have not played it!).

rob305

HURRY UP AND GIVE US YOUR IMPRESSIONS ABOUT THE INTRO!!!

I have counted 4 guys saying it is better than TLOU already. Just another one and I can manage my expectations to "Get ready for the GOAT".

I thought the intro in TLOU was better, this one is more action packed though. Overall however, UC4 is better than TLOU and UC2 in my opinion

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah people keep bringing up MGS V. That was the main game I wanted to see comparisons made to because MGS V looked amazing gameplay wise (still have not played it!).

The movement and gunplay is top-tier in MGSV, so yeah comparisons to that are a very welcome sight. I mean just playing the UC4 beta you could tell it was improved.

Alienous

I need to hear some negatives.

Otherwise the unrelenting praise is hard to believe, and easy to dismiss as early copy buzz.

The Lamp

I will be home in an hour to start the game. I'll report back once I have a good stopping point to give my initial impressions.

wurzle

Neo Member
A question on the pacing...

The moment in UC3 where I knew something wasn't quite right was when I got out of the ship graveyard and realized it was an arbitrary detour that existed only for the capsize scene. The gameplay in that level was the best in the game, but it felt so awkwardly tacked on to the rest of the game that it really killed my suspension of disbelief.

Do the scenes and set pieces present in UC4 make sense in the context of the story, or do they feel like they exist only to provide drake an opportunity to snowboard down an erupting volcano while being chased by an angry team of supernatural mountain goat man mercenaries?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
All I need to know:

Do any of the set pieces match or surpass the collapsing hotel in 2?
collapsing hotel wasnt really that great imo. The train set piece, the convoy chase, the shipwreck and plane sequences in Uncharted 3 were all better.

Also MiamiWesker, saying the first few hours have no combat is kinda spoilery.

The Lamp

Otherwise the unrelenting praise is hard to believe, and easy to dismiss as early copy buzz.

Seems like subjective negatives: based on impressions, set pieces appear to be more "grounded" and "realistic" and less "bombastic"/exponentially zany.

Some might prefer that, but that's also just my interpretation of a couple of opinions...that's not much data at all.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
collapsing hotel wasnt really that great imo. The train set piece, the convoy chase, the shipwreck and plane sequences in Uncharted 3 were all better.

Agreed. The collapsing building is pretty meh compared to the others.

JTripper

These impressions making it seem like U4 is on whole other plane of quality than the the other 3. Can it be true that it stands alongside TLoU?

Tank chase and the train are the best set pieces imo

I thought the intro in TLOU was better, this one is more action packed though. Overall however, UC4 is better than TLOU and UC2 in my opinion

Yeah I am leaning that way too. Depends what is the purpose of the intro to the player. In these games do you want it to set up the story? In that case TLOU is unmatched, I can't think of another game that hits you that hard emotionally so fast.

Do you want to be put into an amazing gameplay scenario? In that case U4 is easily better as it has the player doing all sorts of stuff.

I judge the intro has how excited did it make me for the rest of the game and TLOU wins out there.

reKon

Banned
The cruise ship on UC3 was some Inception level shit with all the walls and doors being upside down.

Agreed. The collapsing building is pretty meh compared to the others.
Personally, the hotel is my favorite. It was the great build-up, and then that moment when you realize what's about to happen. And then it does, and you probably expect it to go to a cutscene, but it doesn't. And then the physics kick in, and then you're fighting guys as the world shifts and tilts and everything tumbles around you. And you're in control the entire time. Perhaps because 2 was my first Uncharted, that moment is really tough to surpass for me

You mean aside from the one they already showed? Because that one definitely surpassed the collapsing hotel.
Scope and scale sure, but I always found those Uncharted moments where the environment collapses and shifts around you to be the most impressive.

I have a slight technical negative in one of my posts. Hard to pin any other negatives though so far.

I'm loving the pacing and tone of the game.

Perhaps the biggest compliment for the intro I can give:

Sam could have just as easily felt as if he was shoehorned into the game. Given that this is the final entry and such a major character was being introduced, that was my biggest worry. But it absolutely does not feel that way in the actual game. They do a hell of a job with the intro.

lol ass. That's a lie btw, I never said it didn't have combat, there is plenty going on.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

Great to read these impressions from a fellow MGSV fan! Thank you. Cannot wait for this game!

DKHF

All these impressions so far are amazing. I really hope I love this game and that ND have delivered the best game in the series, and luckily it seems like they might have. I'm glad I still have most of the game unspoiled for me.

Also, I don't really feel like going to great lengths to scrounge up some negatives just so I can give off the appearance of impartiality (or a balanced list). And I'm sure the other players feel the same way.

It's not early copy buzz for me but theres not much I can say to convince people otherwise. Wait for the reviews you trust if you think these impressions are too glowing.

People always seem to ignore The Chateau for some reason. Maybe they just don't think it's good. I believe it's among the best.

I agree. The whole chateau level is the best section of Uncharted 3 (shipyard would have been if it had the same perfect pacing and narrative context the chateau had),

Sure, but they are still a fun romp and I have enjoyed my Hard playthroughs as a build up to UC4. Right now I am on Chapter 10 of UC3, I forgot how much they improved the weapon sounds on this game.

Just finished UC3 remastered myself, thought it was the weakest gun play in the series. The hit detection was very poor.

The set peices are great, one def rivaled the hotel for me in a way making me feel almost like they took inspiration from it but then totally didn't lol. I won't say more on that. Also I think there are more oh shit set peices here and throughout then the rest of the franchise. It just feels more consistent but not also over bearing Just right basically. These can be more long drawn out moments or just quick but interesting oh shit parts.

Also some mentioned no negatives. I mentioned my small beefs with the game in my spoiler free review. So while Im praising out the ass, please note I still had some things to comment on.

Alienous

Also, I don't really feel like going to great lengths to scrounge up some negatives just so I can give off the appearance of impartiality (or a balanced list). And I'm sure the other players feel the same way.

It's not early copy buzz for me but not much I can say to convince people otherwise. Wait for the reviews you trust.

I believe you. It's just that early copy buzz is a thing.

Even now I struggle to come up with negatives for The Last of Us, so I know Naughty Dog have it in them, but I know it won't be flawless, so it's hard to take such glowing reviews seriously.

That said I haven't seen all of the impressions top to bottom. Even as people have made an attempt to avoid spoilers combined I find the impressions begin to convey the structure of the game, and I'd like to avoid that. I just want to see "I didn't like ... so much ".

Personally, the hotel is my favorite. It was the great build-up, and then that moment when you realize what's about to happen. And then it does, and you probably expect it to go to a cutscene, but it doesn't. And then the physics kick in, and then you're fighting guys as the world shifts and tilts and everything tumbles around you. And you're in control the entire time. Perhaps because 2 was my first Uncharted, that moment is really tough to surpass for me

Scope and scale sure, but I always found those Uncharted moments where the environment collapses and shifts around you to be the most impressive.

Totally get you, it used to be my favourite too but with time flowing "cat and mouse"(tank chase) is my favourite now, with airplane from 3 as a close second.

Top Bottom