• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

That's not rambling at all. I really appreciate your thoughts Primethius as you've played through without spoiling literally anything (hat tip to the several others who have managed the same thing) and for answering questions. This thread was awesome today.

Yes, several.

Oh nice. No Doughnut Drake this time right?

Also the skins now wil surely show up in cutscenes since they are realtime/ingame this time unlike in the previous games where there they didn't show up (only default skin is shown even if you select anotehr skin in gameplay, it doesn't show up in cinematics) because cinematics were pre-recorded inengine. Can you confim that?

wbEMX

Crushing being immediately available is perfect. For the first time I'll experience an Uncharted game in a normal mode first. Just soaking up the story. This will be awesome to platinum.

Crushing being immediately available is perfect. For the first time I'll experience an Uncharted game in a normal mode first. Just soaking up the story. This will be awesome to platinum.

What is this Crushing everyone does talk about? I didn't understand.

wbEMX

What is this Crushing everyone does talk about? I didn't understand.

Basically the hardest difficulty mode which unlocked in the first three games after playing through the game on Hard. It's neccessary to complete the game on Hard AND Crushing to get the platinum trophy.

Shin-chan

So simply games (UK) appear to have completely sold out their pre order allocations as the game as been taken off their pre order list.

Man, I hope their email about only receiving shipments on Monday was just hot air. Or that other retailers aren't being penalised in this way. After all these impressions I need to sink my teeth into this game this weekend.

A little over halfway through the game now after a really prolonged play session tonight. The exploration here is on a new level for ND. Levels really breathe and are infused with such artistry and life. So many little details flesh out every single room, cavern, ruin, etc. It's really impressive stuff. Many of the scenes are truly photo realistic.

I was worried about the "quieter" set pieces at first, but the game has plenty of jaw-dropping moments of spectacle.

The pacing is perfect now. The slower pace at the beginning makes more sense as the story progresses further.

Overall, I'm just floored with this game.

I think it'll receive tons of high scores from critics. Lots of 9s and 10s. It'll probably be the highest rated game of this generation thus far.

Just beat the game. Statistic shows 12.50 playtime. I did not look around too much to find all the treasure, I found like 25% at max.

The only downside for me personally is lack of blood and gore (I mean just look at TLOU) - but I know it will not look good in this game.

Graphics in general and animations are top-notch. Right there with MGS v for me personally. Some scenes look too good to be true - pure CGI heaven.

On the side note - last encounter is something out of this world 11/10 and payoff in epilogue is soooooo good....

Dream come true.

ps. Im not a big series fan, but this one is defenetly a must-buy

SomTervo

A little over halfway through the game now after a really prolonged play session tonight. The exploration here is on a new level for ND. Levels really breathe and are infused with such artistry and life. So many little details flesh out every single room, cavern, ruin, etc. It's really impressive stuff. Many of the scenes are truly photo realistic.

I was worried about the "quieter" set pieces at first, but the game has plenty of jaw-dropping moments of spectacle.

The pacing is perfect now. The slower pace at the beginning makes more sense as the story progresses further.

I think it'll receive tons of high scores from critics. Lots of 9s and 10s. It'll probably be the highest rated game of this generation thus far.

Just beat the game. Statistic shows 12.50 playtime. I did not look around too much to find all the treasure, I found like 25% at max.

The only downside for me personally is lack of blood and gore (I mean just look at TLOU) - but I know it will not look good in this game.

Graphics in general and animations are top-notch. Right there with MGS v for me personally. Some scenes look too good to be true - pure CGI heaven.

On the side note - last encounter is something out of this world 11/10 and payoff in epilogue is soooooo good....

Dream come true.

Thanks for the impressions, amazing stuff.

I'll be there on Saturday...

Look at the rating on the game's case.

it's 18+, just like TLOU and all the other games with blood in them.

I'm in Russia and may be our ratings are different, but I don't really see too much of a difference with guy being shot and dropping dead with realistic animation - or the same with blood and bullethole in the head.
I would say Max Payne 3 had best balance of blood and bulletholes without too much gore and limbs being torn off, but that's my personal thing. I love seeing weapons causing damage, not just being pewpew.

The Lamp

I just don't enjoy the exploration here as much as TLOU. I think a lot of it is overrated. Feels mostly aesthetic and pointless as treasure is very rare. In TLOU, we explored to survive and we found crucial items, ammo, health, and story pieces. Here it's just a rare coin or watch every once in a while, but lots of dead-end, pointless alternate paths.

Is it new for Uncharted to have a wide open space in some areas to look around? Yeah, but that space is mostly just there for aesthetics and "feeling" open.

Freeman76

So simply games (UK) appear to have completely sold out their pre order allocations as the game as been taken off their pre order list.

Man, I hope their email about only receiving shipments on Monday was just hot air. Or that other retailers aren't being penalised in this way. After all these impressions I need to sink my teeth into this game this weekend.

They did this for DS3 as well, it didnt come in stock til Monday. Dude the release is next week so whether u need it or not u need to learn patience lol. Or use shopto next time.

Ricky_R

Dream come true.

It's always nice to read good impressions from people who aren't fan of the series.

0racle

I vaguely remember my uc1 playthrough and never finished 2 or played 3. What should I know?

And with crushing difficulty what changes are there ?

Arun1910

Only just finished the Prologue so my views are probably unworthy, however...

GOD DAMN.

That was the best opening sequence I've ever played in a game. It has a bit of everything and really lays down the foundation for the rest of the game (from a story perspective). Simple tutorials like vaulting, cover etc etc (Don't want to say too much) are interwoven very seemlessly into the Prologue experience which was great, because I hate tutorials that are so obviously there to teach you.

Prologue took me between 1.2 hours to 1.5 to complete and honestly, I was shocked when I found out I was still playing the Prologue section. Graphics are stunning, seeing it on my own TV is just unreal. Can't wait to dive into the rest later today!

Played through the E3 section, best setpiece in uncharted history. I cannot believe all the moving parts, the things you can do, so amazing!

Then what comes after, Jesus this is most beautiful game of all time. Nothing comes close. I wish this game was just a picture game, take the best pictures to get a high score.

Puzzles have been great. Platforming is more open with more options. Treasures are very well hidden and now fit better into this kind of structure. Oh and the story is great.

MINOR PACING SPOILERS

That said its all still pretty slow paced. It's a constant mix of elements so you are not doing one thing for long. Which means big breaks between fights at times.

Played through the E3 section, best setpiece in uncharted history. I cannot believe all the moving parts, the things you can do, so amazing!

Then what comes after, Jesus this is most beautiful game of all time. Nothing comes close. I wish this game was just a picture game, take the best pictures to get a high score.

Puzzles have been great. Platforming is more open with more options. Treasures are very well hidden and now fit better into this kind of structure. Oh and the story is great.

MINOR PACING SPOILERS

That said its all still pretty slow paced. It's a constant mix of elements so you are not doing one thing for long. Which means big breaks between fights at times.

Felt the same about the E3 set piece and as for pacing, it picks up soon after that and doesn't stop. The second half of the game is much more like the Uncharted we're used to.

DerekNYC

Could anyone in here that has the game help me with the second to last trophy in Chapter 6? Driving me crazy trying to find it

Top Bottom