• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 story trailer

The other key, however, is in that ingenious dialogue tree, following Sam's probe to 'start with the best part': right there, you get some meta-game feels. UC4 is Drake's and the series' closing chapter and it knows it, and Naughty Dog knows it, and Neil knows it. Break out the tissues.

Beautiful post, what a fantastic read. Welcome!

TissueBox

Great post.

I don't have the same reservations about showing Drake in the confines of an average life though. You're right in that now that we see it, having known Drake over a series of 3 adventures, it feels like seeing an extraordinary person in an ordinary setting, but I think that will end up working to the story's benefit. People have always questioned why Drake propels himself on these dangerous adventures when he could just quit and stay home. Uncharted 3 explored this in a subtle way tied to his conception of identity, but this seems to hone in on maybe a more relatable angle on the same subject; he wants to escape the drudgeries of daily life as much as we do. So when Sam shows up offering promises of an adventure that is sure to put everyone's life in peril countless times, it will be believable that Drake will still want to go on that adventure as much as we do. It reminds me of the beginning of The Incredibles lol.

What we didn't see after "Sam's Pursuit"...

ELENA: It is a bad thing, Nate! Uprooting our family again so that you can relive the glory days is a very bad thing!

DRAKE: Reliving the glory days is better than pretending they never happened!

ELENA: Yes! They happened, but this; our family, is what's happening now, Nate!

Cue the children...

In all seriousness, I know what you mean, though, lol. That was my idea of how they're electing to go about it, too; sort of in the vein of UC3, but in a much more raw way, and that's fine. It just does feel a bit different -- but that doesn't mean it won't work. As long as the themes established from earlier games are built upon rather than retraced, then it'll be the closure the series deserves.

This time, after all, we get to see who Nate really considers "family".

Edit:
Thanks for the warm welcomes..!

Hahaha, did that ava-quote just backfire on you?
Haha, nah, purposely quoted my av as I'm Donut Drake U4 style :p. I could do a Donut Drake from one of the new scenes from a screenshot, make from him sitting at the desk. Making a gif would take me forever though plus each face proportion per frame would be different so would look pretty shoddy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haha, nah, purposely quoted my av as I'm Donut Drake U4 style :p. I could do a Donut Drake from one of the new scenes from a screenshot, make from him sitting at the desk. Making a gif would take me forever though plus each face proportion per frame would be different so would look pretty shoddy.

Oh, lol. That would be perfect to see him at a desk.

"Whoah, you really let yourself go, little brother." "You must be married now."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Glad someone brought it up and they actually discussed their reasons. Its great to hear that behind the scenes stuff. Still with no disrespect to the team or Laura, I find their answer/reasons disappointing but that's the end of it. Really respect them for responding and not being outraged like some on gaf when bringing up criticism.

I too respect how ND respects people's opinions about a white person playing a digital black character in one of their games.

I don't love it, BUT I can respect their choice. Especially since he said a black guy is playing the part of a white guy in the game.

eso76

Naughty Dog said they would have no problem to let a main character die in Uncharted, if it suits in the storyline

and "A Thief's End" is pretty clear, i think sully will die and Nate has to promise him to stop doing such things

But ND said the game was going to be light hearted and happy !

zsynqx

So about dialogue options, this was just posted in the Greg Miller Podcast thread:

Neil briefly talks about dialogue options around ~1:20, and I haven't seen ND discuss it elsewhere.

So it seems that dialogue options will be rare in the game, and I don't think we should think of them as a core feature.

Yep, about what I expected. Naughty Dog don't want us to define the character, that is their job.

Also found this gif. Honestly mind blowing stuff

PaltryHighlevelGerenuk.gif

Jigolo

No HQ footage to gamersyde yet? DDDRUCKMANNNN
wheres our christmas present 😭

💌💌💌

With love,
NeoGAF

Hermii

Haven't they said that this will be the biggest Uncharted game yet?

Because I always had the feeling that it might be a bit longer than the other games. Don't know why I felt like that though.

They could have meant biggest in terms of project scope, not necessarily length.

I really, really hope skins will be able to be activated and used during the cutscenes, but somehow I can see myself being disappointed by this. Please Naughty Dog, I know you love to polish the games and other character models in cut-scenes would take away from that polish and the tone of the scene, BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT FROM END-GAME REPLAYABILITY! We want the goofiness and the unexpected hilarity that will come from this! I also want a Joel unlockable skin <3

I really, really hope skins will be able to be activated and used during the cutscenes, but somehow I can see myself being disappointed by this. Please Naughty Dog, I know you love to polish the games and other character models in cut-scenes would take away from that polish and the tone of the scene, BUT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT FROM END-GAME REPLAYABILITY! We want the goofiness and the unexpected hilarity that will come from this! I also want a Joel unlockable skin <3

I think they're more concerned with the repercussions of having a Doughnut Drake skin at all. It's 2015, and look at the shit that was already flung at them because of Laura Bailey being Nadine.

I think they're more concerned with the repercussions of having a Doughnut Drake skin at all. It's 2015, and look at the shit that was already flung at them because of Laura Bailey being Nadine.

That's a different problem, one that I think is overblown and a non-issue, just as Doughnut Drake should be. If they are really concerned about that, which I doubt they would be, they could just not call it 'Doughnut' Drake. I just don't want to give them any excuse to make alternative skins unavailable in cutscenes.

Binabik15

So about dialogue options, this was just posted in the Greg Miller Podcast thread:

Neil briefly talks about dialogue options around ~1:20, and I haven't seen ND discuss it elsewhere.

So it seems that dialogue options will be rare in the game, and I don't think we should think of them as a core feature.

YES!

I honestly don't want anything else. Uncharted is a great, planned and finely-tuned ride for me, not a convoluted choose your own adventure deal.

Koozek

Yep, about what I expected. Naughty Dog don't want us to define the character, that is their job.

Lol, I didn't notice the LOD switch on his jacket's texture around his shoulder at first. Or what's that weird effect?

True. It's still really convincing and impressive tho. The post mortem will be incredibly interesting.
Yeah, I'm very sure it's baked as well. At least every previous instance of something like this was. I remember being impressed by how realistic the blankets moved in Beyond, only to find out they were all animated hehe

Gurish

I'm just playing TO 1886 for the first time and this is no doubt more impressive, kudos ND.

Top Bottom