• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 vs. Gears 5

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Gears 5

Votes: 126 29.0%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 308 71.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

vVWBG7v.jpg

chilichote

Uncharted 4.

I love the characters and the chemistry between them. Unfortunately, I didn't get as warm with the multiplayer in Uncharted 4 as with the MP of 2 & 3 - and with the MP from Gears I never got warm^^

Last edited:

Aidah

Single player, Uncharted 4 is way better even if it's not that good.

Multiplayer, Gears 5 is way better.

Overall, Gears 5 is better, because even though the campaign is boring garbage, the multiplayer is much more interesting than anything in Uncharted 4.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I enjoyed mostly everything about Gears 5 more except maybe characters. Uncharted 4 dragged on too much and felt like it wanted to be a movie more than a game. I swear I’d start playing at like 7pm to like 11pm at night and felt like I played 10 mins of gameplay. Love the whole Indiana Jones theme and story but I felt it invaded the gameplay too much and everything was structured around a certain way to play it. Climbing Sections having no challenge sorta ruins those parts for me even though they look gorgeous.

Open world sections in gears seemed like pointless padding but the core gameplay was always satisfying for me. Playing it on hard made the perfect balance of difficulty and I always felt threatened in most engagements.

Last edited:

jakinov

Gears 5 because it had co-op campaign which made it more fun for me. Both games have unneeded open-world elements. But at least i got to do the Gears one with a friend. I enjoyed the multiplayer more too. Both stories suck. Both games are pretty.

SpartanN92

Banned
Gears was a huge disappointment to me. Gears had the opportunity to become Xbox's cinematic story driven answer to Uncharted and it failed dismally. I dug the game play and the open world but the main character was awful and the game just sort of felt pointless.
But man Gears has Uncharted stomped on Multiplayer and that's not even a question.

Astral Dog

I didn't played GEARS 5, but Uncharted 4 is, well imo very meh, its presentation is amazing and has some charming scenes but the story and gameplay was just boring, bland like a good tech showcase but i didn't care about the game itself

Fbh

Hmmm I think both franchises took steps back compared to their last gen entries.
Overall I probably had more fun with Gears. The gameplay is still solid, it has MUCH better pacing than Uncharted, and playing through the campaign in co-op is fun.

Uncharted 4 suffered from too much Druckmann. Extremely slow pacing, more walking and talking than ever, fewer combat encounters, scaled back setpiece moments (except for the one cool chase) and no supernatural elements.

Roberts

Gears 5 gameplay is so much more fun, because of Jack and upgrades are cool, but despite being repetitious in nature, the game never feels like it. Uncharted 4 does feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again. Also, the pacing is miles better in Gears. As much as I liked previous Uncharted's, 4th one was pretty damn mediocre.

engstra

Though Uncharted 4 had some pacing issues and wasn't a huge fan of the more open areas driving around with the jeep, it's still an incredible and one of the most beautiful games on the ps4. Such a satisfying ending as well

Kydd BlaZe

UC4 was a snooze fest, imo. Least favorite of the series. Had a blast with Gears 5 though, but I’ve always been a Gears head, so I’m biased. Hated the story in both games, for what it’s worth.

slade

Uncharted 4 had a lot of problems. Bad pacing, no supernatural twist, only one ok setpiece. I still voted for it over Gears 5 because that game was so mediocre I forgot about it a week after I'd finished it.

Even if has some flaws, I loved Uncharted 4 a lot. I'm a sucker for the series, for history and pirates, and the whole setting of Libertalia and the story around it makes up for the slow start. I can't express how much I enjoyed some parts of the game.

I won't vote it for the undisputed GOTG only bc I want to balance my heart and my mind. My heart loves U4, but my mind knows that there are better games in both importance in the medium and quality of the complete package, even among Sony games.

But for now, it deserves my vote.

Last edited:

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I think Gears 4 would have been a better candidate OP , that's the best Gears this gen by a mile. Gears 5 was so disappointing... And I'm a big Gears fan.

HE1NZ

Banned
Uncharted 4 was pretty bad. Doubt that Gears 5 is any better though. 4 was the worst in the series.

How do both of these get into this tournament exactly? It's missing so many games.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Uncharted 4 was pretty bad. Doubt that Gears 5 is any better though. 4 was the worst in the series.

How do both of these get into this tournament exactly? It's missing so many games.

I disagree, Gears 4 was great and very underrated. The Act 1 was slow, repetitive and boring ( those robots -_- ). But then the game is amazing with incredible new ennemies ( especially the ones that can swallow you ).

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gears is one of those games I enjoy while playing but instantly forget about when done. One of them ended with a big mech fight that was neat forget if it was 4 or 5

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Gears is one of those games I enjoy while playing but instantly forget about when done. One of them ended with a big mech fight that was neat forget if it was 4 or 5

That was 4. 5 had the shitty ending where you choose who dies.

bargeparty

That was 4. 5 had the shitty ending where you choose who dies.

Yeah which was interesting to someone who had not played the previous games, so I chose the person who helped me through the entirety of 5, guess that was wrong.

Edit: I played 4 but had no real memory of it.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I really liked uncharted 4, now the honeymoon with TLOU2 is over, i might prefer uncharted 4.. Gears died for me after 3. I tried Gears 4, diden't like it that much on my XBONE, might play Gears 5 on XSEX if they can entice me to buy the console...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 4's shooting gameplay kind of sucked, but I really enjoyed the overall experience and found it be very memorably.

Meanwhile, I could not push myself to play more than 3 hours of Gears 5. It was competently made, but it was just boring to me. I feel like I had enough of the Gears formula after the first one and Gears 2, both of which I really enjoyed, so I skipped Gears 3. I played Gears 4 on Gamepass, but could barely finish it. I think The Coalition just doesn't have what it takes to push this formula into new territory and as a result, they just feel like the same thing, but less inspired and with prettier visuals.

Top Bottom