• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 3D screenshot and artwork from next GI

Busty said:
Wait, wait, wait. is it just me, or does 60 people working on a game like this seem a little small?

I mean, doesn't Killzone have something like over 100 people working on it?

Sony seem to pushing alot of their studios to develop projects concurrently. We had Insomniac developing Resistance and Ratchett and Clank PS3 side by side. I really wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog were doing the same. I know that Naughty Dog are housing alot of R&D right now, though I don't think the team is that big and I seriously doubt Sony would have so many talented people not actively working on games.

So long story short, I think it's entirely possible that Naughty Dog are either doing another new IP or that Jak and Daxter game that was rumoured well over a year ago (Final Frontier or something iirc) at the same time as Uncharted.

Just a thought....

They have 20 peopple not working on Uncharted too. Christophe Balestra didn't want to elaborate and tell what they exactly doing...

Busty

Banned
Me_Marcadet said:
They have 20 peopple not working on Uncharted too. Christophe Balestra didn't want to elaborate and tell what they exactly doing...

Interesting.

So it's either.......

A) A new IP that they are developing for the PS3, much like Uncharted.

B) That Jak and Daxter:Lost Frontier (cheers Doombringer :D) game

C) It's some kind of original PSN game.......

or.... maybe it's none of the above or all three.

Another productive day on GAF :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SHARKS BITE KILL SHARKS said:
GAF has lost it. You guys are insane. These don't look close to as good as the original footage.

and :lol @ the animated gifs.

Thanks for bringing sanity into the thread.

Wollan

Busty said:

The most interesting news imho is that ND specifically mentioned Guerrilla among a select few devs that they really share stuff with. My imagination is running wild with how cool a game that can be now. I heard somewhere else that the twenty-thirty or so devs that worked on the PSP Killzone joined up with the rest of their buddies within Guerrilla to help finish up the PS3 game (with the total team now being ~100 people). Couple that with the fact that the game is the biggest & most expensive media production ever in the Netherlands (>21m$), the game having a huge amount of languages for the ultimate market penetration, Phil Harrisons constant teasing with it's going to be shown when ready & again ND sharing tech with them.. Hype, hype, hype.

jett

D-Member
GAF has lost it. You guys are insane. These don't look close to as good as the original footage.

my.php

You fail at having working eyeballs.

why the **** are ppl saying its not on par with the trailer?

its not in motion so how can you say it doesn't move with the same realism animation-wise as the trailer?

I think you're implying it doesn't look as clear as the screens but then again, screens don't tell you shit about a game anymore.

and judging by that comparison pic, the new one looks better b/c the old one' s ground textures are blurry and not as good as the new ones and the vegetation in the old screen looks faked to me, like its just a big texture wrapped around a blocked in space where the new ones look fully rendered.

CassidyIzABeast said:

its not in motion so how can you say it doesn't move with the same realism animation-wise as the trailer?

I think you're implying it doesn't look as clear as the screens but then again, screens don't tell you shit about a game anymore.

and judging by that comparison pic, the new one looks better b/c the old one' s ground textures are blurry and not as good as the new ones and the vegetation in the old screen looks faked to me, like its just a big texture wrapped around a blocked in space where the new ones look fully rendered.

:lol @ everyone saying it looks better.

If what Blim says is true then the developers themselves are saying it isn't on par with the trailer and confirms what certain other people said when they saw these new images.

CassidyIzABeast said:

These 1st party games tend to bring 'em out in droves. ;)

I kinda doubt gameplay mechanics are going to animate quite like that trailer (unless ND's programmers and animators suddenly leapfrog the entire industry, and they're arguably already ahead of the pack), but I'm sure it'll be impressive nonetheless. Their R&D has had a good chunk dedicated to this department (according to Wells) so I'm excited to see what they're coming up with.

Busty

Banned
Wollan said:
The most interesting news imho is that ND specifically mentioned Guerrilla among a select few devs that they really share stuff with. My imagination is running wild with how cool a game that can be now. I heard somewhere else that the twenty-thirty or so devs that worked on the PSP Killzone joined up with the rest of their buddies within Guerrilla to help finish up the PS3 game (with the total team now being ~100 people). Couple that with the fact that the game is the biggest & most expensive media production ever in the Netherlands (>21m$), the game having a huge amount of languages for the ultimate market penetration, Phil Harrisons constant teasing with it's going to be shown when ready & again ND sharing tech with them.. Hype, hype, hype.

I believe that's what ICE is. It's really less of an engine (in the conventional sense) and more a 'forum of tech and ideas'.

So if you have Zipper for example, having problems with some technical part of their game they can use ICE to see what other developers and studios in the Sony family have been using and see if they can use it themselves. Basically it's a massive think tank taking all this collective skill, knowledge and technology and sharing it among first parties.

Pretty exciting in theory.

I'm deliberately not commenting on the Uncharted pic because.......

A) It clearly states that it's from an early build.

B) And we'll see soon enough just how close it is to that E3 teaser trailer.

Besides, you don't seriously think that Game Informer (?) would show anything other than a teasing, very early build shot of the game on it's website for free do you? Come on. The real money shots are in the magazine. They just want to tease you with that stuff so you'll buy the issue.

GAF, GAF, GAF. I thought we were smater to fall for that. Let's keep the craziness until we actually see the magazine.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I kinda doubt gameplay mechanics are going to animate quite like that trailer (unless ND's programmers and animators suddenly leapfrog the entire industry, and they're arguably already ahead of the pack), but I'm sure it'll be impressive nonetheless. Their R&D has had a good chunk dedicated to this department (according to Wells) so I'm excited to see what they're coming up with.

I think that IGN interview said they were going to base the game heavily on animation and the prince of persia dude is doing the camera work so I'm sure the cinematic camera stuff from the trailer will show up in the game but some of it was obviously dramatized to create more excitement.

I trust ND though as they've proved they produce quality gaming experiences with a great visual touch so either way it'll be a great game.

Busty said:
Interesting.

So it's either.......

A) A new IP that they are developing for the PS3, much like Uncharted.

B) That Jak and Daxter:Lost Frontier (cheers Doombringer :D) game

C) It's some kind of original PSN game.......

or.... maybe it's none of the above or all three.

None of the above would be my guess.

I'd guess that's the ND part of the ICE team.

We know Naughty Dog's David Simpson is the Project Manager of the ICE team, led by him and Cerny Games' Mark Cerny, since that part of the ICE equation has been revealed in advance of their presentation at GDC.

Although it would be cool if they were already working on some next-gen J&D ideas...

Shompola said:
ok ok.. the rumour which more or less is confirmed unoffficially states that the gpu is clocked at 500mhz and the gddr3 at 650mhz.

"More or less" confirmed? Either it's confirmed or it isn't. I'm so ****ing tired of this "almost confirmed" bullshit that seems to surround everything PS3 that it's not even funny.

Busty

Banned
Luckyman said:
For PS2 and PS3.. :(

I'm calling it now. Luke and Shane alluded to some 'unexpected' franchises coming to the PSN as a download rather than a Blu Ray.

Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontier for the PS2 and also the PS3, but the PS3 version will be a download.

That way it won't take anything away from PS3 Ratchett and Clank at the end of the year and it'll still give them scope to do a fully flegded Jak and Daxter game for the PS3 at some point.

Oh, and not that anyone is interested. That dubious site that broke the WarHawk story is claiming to have info on Killzone 2 and some other potentially disappointed news about the PS3....

... and a Lost Planet RTS. Pfftttttt.......
or is it?

http://www.rumorreporter.com

Ajax

Banned

I guess we're lucky to have Xbox fanboys like you dictating to us the reality. Or not.

Your post history says it all, the only thing you do in this forum is troll Ps3 and pretend to have an honest opinion about Ps3 games. GTFO.

Ajax said:
I guess we're lucky to have Xbox fanboys like you dictating to us the reality. Or not.

Your post history says it all, the only thing you do in this forum is troll Ps3 and pretend to have an honest opinion about Ps3 games. GTFO.
I dub this post approval of ownage

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Busty said:
I'm calling it now. Luke and Shane alluded to some 'unexpected' franchises coming to the PSN as a download rather than a Blu Ray.

Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontier for the PS2 and also the PS3, but the PS3 version will be a download.

That way it won't take anything away from PS3 Ratchett and Clank at the end of the year and it'll still give them scope to do a fully flegded Jak and Daxter game for the PS3 at some point.

Oh, and not that anyone is interested. That dubious site that broke the WarHawk story is claiming to have info on Killzone 2 and some other potentially disappointed news about the PS3....

or is it?

Lost Planet wars? Wtf?

And JD being a PS2 game??

Ajax said:

CassidyIzABeast said:
I dub this post approval of ownage

Oh yeah, ownage total.

This thread is gold. GAFers taking spin lessons from Jack Tretton or something?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Busty said:

Digital download is the future. It is for Microsoft and Sony.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
f@luS said:
history of the guy (little)
theyre 60 working on the game , with 14 programmer including (2 lead and 12 classics)
He talks about the debug and beta test.
Sony trust ND so theyre never under some pression , theyre totally free.
THey talk a lot within differents studio ( Santa monica , Insomniac , Sucker punch (? sly raccon) , and guerilla)
He doesnt want to talk about the cost.
They have some exclusives feature in the sdk that sony is trying to give to the 3rd party.
Theyre taking 3 weeks off per year (end) that explain this interview)
The post prod started 2 years ago
Heavy use of the spe
*Hes saying the PS3 hdd is having 3*2go as a temp buffer*
One hour of cinematics
Nice to hear, thanks to the translators. :)

J-Rzez

Busty said:

or is it?

I don't expect anything like a KZ demo from GDC one bit... but, perhaps it'll get a trailer? It'd make sense... Harrison said in that interview from 1up they had "more than one announcement" though, so cryptic... Wonder what those can be? Hopefully we'll see some new trailers of things like Uncharted, Lair, and Heavenly Sword... maybe a lil info on Warhawk...

SHARKS BITE KILL SHARKS
Banned

TY!!! There is a God!!!

Sirolf

The lighting is vastly improved in the new shots.Same polycount.Better textures as well.
Jaggies are surely due to this early (playable?) build.

bud

The biggest difference is that the e3 ones are brighter and the ones aren't, at that's it.

And yes the jaggies, but those are compression artifacts
jim said something along those lines

Yoboman

Looks slightly better in some and slightly worse in others. Clearly it's the lighting from the muzzle making the main difference. AA could help though :)

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
Luckyman said:
:lol

This is getting ridiculous..

I thought it was fun :lol

And i like to see all those small details... There are so much differences between E3 trailer and those new pics, there's a good improve for lighting and textures (the skin is better), and better shadows too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Good job bouc_emissaire

To me, it looks mostly the same, in parts maybe better in parts worse (lack of AA most notably, but I wasn't expecting that level of AA anyways)

One thing where I want comment on is that the skin quality on characters could either be downgraded on new 3D picture, or it could be that completely different lighting situation is making it look downgraded.

That's honestly the only place where I can see the "90% of the original shader" talk maybe holding some weight (unless they overcame that obstacle since the January when that interview took place)

See, the skin on the main character, as well as his enemies, looks unusually good in the original trailer. I was always saying for that trailer that the lighitng on everything looked almost too good, as if they were using Global Illumination - see how their skin appears with no oiliness, no overdone specular highlights that mak it look plasticy, etc. Well, on the new 3D picture there seem to be more of that plasticy look on both the adversary and the main character - but again that could just be because of the dramatic lighting due to muzzle flash.

I see that some people seem to think that lighting looks better in the new screen, but just because the lighting look more dramatic, it doesn't automatically make it look better. Their skin definitely looks more realistically lit in the old trailer. The good news is that main character's skin still looks seemingly the same to the old trailer from the angles where the muzzle flash is not lighting the skin (if you look at the angle maybe 3/4 behind his back).

theBishop

Banned
I appreciate what you did there bouc_emissaire, but i don't think these comparisons will count for anything until we see the real game in motion.

even the best-looking games can have an ugly frame. so comparing one still frame of a build to another build is almost totally pointless.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bouc_emissaire said:
I thought it was fun :lol

And i like to see all those small details... There are so much differences between E3 trailer and those new pics, there's a good improve for lighting and textures (the skin is better), and better shadows too.

Why are you still a junior? You're the best comparision pic guy we have at GAF. I remember your GTHD comparision pics. :)

Game looks great and well on it's way to matching the initial trailer.
Off the top of my head there are only three things that are a bit off, the texture quality on his skull&bones belt buckle, the texture on his little face pendent and the texture quality on the ferns.
Other than that the model itself is really impressive, especially the hands, very detailed and the articulation is impressive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bud said:
Look at the hand...you can even see the bones :eek:

That's actually an upgrade from the original trailer. The E3 trailer's main character didn't have bones in his hands.

:O

Top Bottom