• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSVita) Hands-on previews [Update: Gameplay Video]

sajj316

Keikoku said:
Sounds like the typical PSP spin-off trend all over again.

Is that a necessarily a bad thing? Interested to know what types of titles do you expect with the NGP? So you know, I do want NGP only titles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bjaelke said:

Confirms two hours of cutscenes...

Also, using the same animations as Uncharted/Uncharted2.

And the official storyline:

"Uncover the dark secret behind the 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as Nathan Drake follows the murderous trail of an ancient and secret Spanish sect. Caught in the middle of a rivalry between Jason Dante - his old friend - and Marisa Chase - the granddaughter of an archeologist who has mysteriously vanished without a trace - Nathan Drake races into the treacherous river basins, undiscovered temple ruins and karst caverns of Central America in search of a legendary lost city, only to find himself pushed to the edge of the Golden Abyss."

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ratba said:
What you talkin' 'bout Kotaku?
That was in reference to what type of game would ideally stress test the dual sticks, and in that regard it won't be a UC3, as they stated, but a 1st person shooter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
sajj316 said:
Is that a necessarily a bad thing? Interested to know what types of titles do you expect with the NGP? So you know, I do want NGP only titles.
It's a stupid argument he's trying to make. These are nothing like the PSP spinoff titles. At all.

Damn this game looks awesome.

In nearly 30 years of gaming, I don't think I've seen an IP that is this well received that I find so completely uninteresting. Especially in the context of it being regarded as a killer app. The TR gameplay is decent, settings/characters/dialogue are all pretty standard stuff.

Besides, with this level of visuals, isn't this the kind of cinematic game you'd want on a bigger screen? Cue David Lynch such a sadness.

spats

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/06/02/uncharted-golden-abyss-wipeout-2048-little-deviants-and-more-ngp-games-officially-unveiled/

Nathan Drake’s first portable adventure is developed by Bend Studio, the team behind the acclaimed Resistance Retribution on PSP. It promises to retain the crucial elements of the Uncharted titles – adventure, thrilling action and top-notch storytelling – and the familiar control scheme, while also introducing innovative options such as touch and tilt controls. Check out my interview with John Garvin, Creative Director at Bend Studio.

SCEE video interview: http://youtu.be/wW8mAX9dSgs

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
Besides, with this level of visuals, isn't this the kind of cinematic game you'd want on a bigger screen? Cue David Lynch such a sadness.
Not the same thing if this game is properly built for the handheld experience.

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
In nearly 30 years of gaming, I don't think I've seen an IP that is this well received that I find so completely uninteresting. Especially in the context of it being regarded as a killer app. The TR gameplay is decent, settings/characters/dialogue are all pretty standard stuff.

Funny, that is EXACTLY the way I feel about TR. I played the first game on PC...and have never touched the series since.

sajj316

chubigans said:
It's a stupid argument he's trying to make. These are nothing like the PSP spinoff titles. At all.

Damn this game looks awesome.

Spin-off, I don't believe is the right word to characterize this game. Now, if this was an Uncharted FPS, I can agree with. I have no problem with Sony or any third party extending their franchises to the NGP. Considering the amount of time I spend at home, I am more than happy to play spin-off, spin-on, spin-around, spin-inside, spin-outside titles on the NGP.

Skilletor

Magicpaint said:
Looking forward to this more than Uncharted 3 if only because there's going to be less shooting.

I don't like Uncharted games because it feels closer to a 3rd person shooter to me than an adventure game. I hate shooting things. If this has less shooting, that automatically makes me more interested.

I wonder if I can connect the PSV to my television... so I can play UC GA on my tv. I love Uncharted but I've never been particularly enamored with portable gaming.

fadetoblack said:
(not being region free is an absolute dealbreaker for me)

Yeah, hoping for region free too. I'll still buy one anyway of course, but would rather have access to games from all regions straight away than have to buy more than one piece of hardware.

New Uncharted gameplay

qvVBo.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/ngp-previews-let’s-talk-games-starting-with-uncharted/

Krev said:
Not the same thing if this game is properly built for the handheld experience.
But from the preview its sounds just like a full blown PS3 game. The only difference being the lower poly models and some rougher textures.
Edit: Except for the nonsensical touchscreen implementations.

I can't wait to try this game out (maybe its featured at Gamescom)

Drake model looks good. Not impressed by those rock textures or the rock geometry at all though. Those are a mess.

Still, dual thumbstick justifies the purchase IMO.

nelsonroyale said:
Funny, that is EXACTLY the way I feel about TR. I played the first game on PC...and have never touched the series since.

That was more than a couple polygons ago, and I seem to remember that being a great game. Uncharted plays itself compared to the first TR.

sturmdogg

That aside, the game looked good--not quite console-quality, if you were to hold it up against Uncharted 2, but close enough that it practically doesn't matter...

Why do people continuously compare the graphics of this thing to a console? It's a handheld for crying out loud.

It's a stand-alone adventure, but it takes place before DF, but they say it's not a prequel? If it takes place before DF, it's a prequel, no? Is it canon or are they splitting off the universe or are they just saying "Whatever, up to you."

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's a stand-alone adventure, but it takes place before DF, but they say it's not a prequel? If it takes place before DF, it's a prequel, no? Is it canon or are they splitting off the universe or are they just saying "Whatever, up to you."

arne said that it's not a prequel because you'd expect a prequel to lead into Drake's Fortune, which this isn't going to do.

I abhor handheld gaming; I just could never get along with it...but I do like Uncharted. ARGH, why did there have to be a killer app.

KAL2006

Banned
The screens look great, you gotta remember folks it will look even better on a 5" screen with the high contrast ratio of the OLED.

SolidSnakex said:
arne said that it's not a prequel because you'd expect a prequel to lead into Drake's Fortune, which this isn't going to do.

So entirely new adventure set before DF, then? No Elena then :(

I wonder if there will be anything supernatural in this game... it seemed like DF was Drake's first encounter with it... but maybe not.

JCreasy

I finally realized what it is about this iteration of Drake, this particular character design, that I really dig: HIS BACKPACK!

DUH! All this time I've been wondering why I felt Drake's design choice was missing some kind of intangible detail. I could never put my finger on it. It used to drive me crazy.

And then, BAM, here it is. A freaking backpack! Of course this guy uses a backpack -he's a freakin explorer dude! It's so obvious. And most importantly, it's a nice way to break-up the look and texture of his actual back, a visual I see for 90% of the game.

Also wouldn't mind them playing with the look dynamically, adding weapons and tools to it (seeing them hang-off and physically dangle and jitter) as he progress through the game.

Nice touch Bend.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Looks really good for a handheld Uncharted game. Do want.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This looks pretty incredible. I'm really excited for the PS Vita.

Top Bottom