• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED - Live Action Fan Film (2018) Nathan Fillion

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nathan Fillion is Nathan Drake in this live action short film by Director Allan Ungar. Based on the video game series Uncharted by Naughty Dog.

Director: Allan Ungar
Writers: Allan Ungar & Jesse Wheeler
Producers: Nathan Fillion, Allan Ungar, Bruno Marino, Jesse Wheeler, Louis Sallerson
Executive Producers: Alex Lebovici & Steve Ponce
Cinematographer: Alexander Chinnici
Music: Aaron Gilhuis and Jacob Shea
Editor: Allan Ungar
Production Designer: Darcy Scanlin
Costume Designer: Jocelyn Kuan
Stunt Coordinator: Joe Perez
Post Production: Urban Post and Red Square Motion

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The shooting sequence that translated into 3rd person gameplay camera... LMAO! This could really work as a tv series. I mean we already had Relic Hunter.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The shooting sequence that translated into 3rd person gameplay camera... LMAO! This could really work as a tv series. I mean we already had Relic Hunter.

I just got to that part and agreed. The maneurisms and his delivery were on point as well. Especially the scenes of how he dives into history talking to Sully, and the "go go go go" when running to the jeep, then "What took you so long!"

Last edited:

Jae Mara

Nice to see that the quality of characters and story is consistent between the games and the short film, mediocre at best. :D

Nathan Fillion does make a good Drake though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That was fantastic, people are right thou it would be better if as a TV series.
I think it would do well too

Denton

It is campy but I love it

I thought Fillion was too old now to play Nate, but nope, I would totally watch a movie with him as Nate!

Also it was nice to see the huge guy from Banshee again.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Really well done, but I'd agree that it just demonstrates the problem of making this into a move or TV show.

I would watch it just for Fillion. Wouldn't be the worst thing I watch. Looking at you CW.

SonicSleuth

Netflix should come calling. A full season per mystery, essentially.

And this was not a full blown Hollywood production, guys. This is not how the final would be. This is just proof in concept that you have Drake and Sully cast if they want to pull the trigger.

This could have been better but its not as bad as the first few responses are making it out to be. I see a lot more potential if given to the right film makers.

xviper

i don't understand why people want an Uncharted movie ?? there is thousands of action movies that can all be called an Uncharted movie, there is no way an Uncharted movie would be a success because it would be yet another shitty action movie

stranno

i don't understand why people want an Uncharted movie ?? there is thousands of action movies that can all be called an Uncharted movie, there is no way an Uncharted movie would be a success because it would be yet another shitty action movie
Because we love Nathan and Sully, they make a great team.

Atrus

Gold Member
That was surprisingly enjoyable for a fan film. They even added in a third-person camera angle similar to the game. Not sure if Nathan Fillon is up for those action sequences though unless you get scenes that have cuts like Taken 3.

A lot of, and perhaps too many dialogue parts come straight from the games and are a delivered a little off, but when actual films do wonky things like change gender, ethnicity, and even genre, I’ll take the safer more true to source approach.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Ha, cracking. Fillion needs to lose a wee bit timber but if it does turn out that this gets the nod, I doubt that'd be any hardship for him.

And is that Stephen Lang as Sully? Quite a coup that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was surprisingly enjoyable for a fan film. They even added in a third-person camera angle similar to the game. Not sure if Nathan Fillon is up for those action sequences though unless you get scenes that have cuts like Taken 3.

A lot of, and perhaps too many dialogue parts come straight from the games and are a delivered a little off, but when actual films do wonky things like change gender, ethnicity, and even genre, I’ll take the safer more true to source approach.

I think it would be a fun TV series and much more enjoyable with small and sometimes continuation adventures each episode, than a movie.

Atrus

Gold Member
I enjoyed it and it’s a good feel for the characters.

We’ve seen the ‘interrogation’ scene many times in movies so it has to be unique or on point every second it exists, so in this respect that is probably what felt under delivered.

The one from Lockout is pretty memorable for its wit:

jadedm17

I liked it. Felt accurate to the games. What more could you really want.

The bar is so high nowadays that people forget how to just enjoy something for the level that it is; Its a fun and free ride worth 15 minutes of time. A+ effort and thanks to everyone that brought this together, I'm gonna go watch Dr Horrible for some more Fillion now.

Harlock

This is also great because puts a big fuck you in bullshit movie ideas, by showing how to do right. Very useful when you have directors wanting your personal spin rather than being faithful to the character.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nathan is 1:1. I also can take Sully. But Elena, no way.

I loved it. Elena I am iffy about as well.

They can literally cast Emily Rose if she's available for a series and it would be perfect. Stephen Lang did a decent job and he would definitely grow on you. I worked on a movie set with him years ago and he is definitely dedicated to his craft. He shows up in character 24/7 onset even in downtime, and when we chatted durring that he would do it in character when he responded, even when the responses were genuinely his own.

Last edited:
They can literally cast Emily Rose if she's available for a series and it would be perfect. Stephen Lang did a decent job and he would definitely grow on you. I worked on a movie set with him years ago and he is definitely dedicated to his craft. He shows up in character 24/7 onset even in downtime, and when we chatted durring that he would do it in character when he responded, even when the responses were genuinely his own.

I enjoyed his performance in Don't Breathe. I didn't know he has been at it longer than that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted series and I'll say that Fillion makes the perfect Drake. When I was playing through the series a few years ago I even thought to myself he would make the perfect Nate.

This is amazing, I hope they get to make more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I enjoyed his performance in Don't Breathe. I didn't know he has been at it longer than that.

Yeah, he's been in a lot of film. It's funny because he looks like such a large force in Avatar, but in real life he's actually not a large man at all. A very nice and approachable man, and very dedicated/passionate with his roles.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
It's fan made? Well done, give this person some resources and you got yourself a summer popcorn flick.

bitbydeath

Didn't notice this was on the gaming side as well, have requested this thread be closed as that was created earlier.

bitbydeath

“I would have done this with the world against me, quite honestly,” he said. “I think we’ve all been waiting for an Indiana Jones ever since Indiana Jones. And I think that’s something that we kind of need in our entertainment. The not-quite hero, you know? I don’t wanna say ‘anti-hero.’ I just want to say ‘not-quite hero.’ [Drake is] not quite the hero. He’s not the go-to guy, but you have to love him. You just have to. You can relate to him, which is hard for me to do with a lot of heroes. It’s hard for me to relate to super guys who can handle any situation. But Nathan Drake, I can relate to.”

For Ungar, making the fan film was about paying tribute to the world and characters the developers at Naughty Dog created. And it definitely does feel like Uncharted, with Fillion taking the kind of beating Nathan Drake endures on a daily basis and quipping away at his captors. Once Drake is free and reaching for his gun, it even briefly attempts to ape the games’ approach to gunplay, with the aspect ratio changing and the camera swooping into position behind Fillion’s back, as it would when Drake is stepping into a gunfight and the player is taking control. The camera even zooms over Drake’s shoulder when he takes aim.

According to Ungar, that scene came together as a bit of a happy accident after another direct homage to the games turned out to be too ambitious. “When I had originally written this […] he jumps out the window, but there’s like a sloped roof underneath,” Ungar said. “And Nathan originally was going to be sliding down the roof going, ‘No, no, no, no, no, no, no’ like he does in the game.” Ungar says he realized there was no way they were pulling that off, and they instead committed to shooting the gun-fight in a single video game-styled longtake after he blurted out the idea.

For his part, Ungar hopes that might be where this small taste of a Fillion-led Uncharted leads. “The response has been great,” he said. “If Sony calls or Netflix calls or YouTube or somebody and they say, hey, let’s try to do this as a digital series or something else, I don’t think we would be upset. I think that’d be great, but I think, I think we accomplished and set out to do what we did.”

https://news.avclub.com/nathan-fillion-explains-his-love-for-nathan-drake-unch-1827626306

AlexxKidd

This has turned into a 50,000 page thread on Era but ill echo what I said there, this was amazing, fun, and you can tell done by people with love and reverence for the source material. Of everything, the transition into gameplay brought the biggest smile to my face. It was nice seeing all the heavy hitters tweet out their love, Niel Druckmann, Amy Hennig, Corey Barlog, etc.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

That was awesome and Fillion was excellent as expected. He is a natural fit for Drake and Lang is a terrific actor and will end up nailing Sully with his own unique spin. I would try to get Fillion’s Castle co-star Stana Katie to play Elana... just because. She’s a great actress and her and Fillion have a great chemistry on screen together.
Would be straight up brilliant for Netflix to pick up and run with it. Would be a wonderful ride for sure.

plushyp

Nice to see that the quality of characters and story is consistent between the games and the short film, mediocre at best. :D

Nathan Fillion does make a good Drake though.
It was never about the stories in the games but the characters and their fun interaction which is what makes them memorable. This is what made UC stand out in a sea of Indiana and Croft clones.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Hot damn, that was incredible. To the handful of people scoffing and cringing... reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif

Fillion literally IS Drake. Yeah he's a little old and could stand to lose a couple pounds (though he does look like he HAS lost a few since Castle ended), but he pulled it off better than I would have expected. That was a solid Sully too. I'd absolutely watch a Netflix/Hulu type series like this. I agree with others who have said it probably works better that way than as a film. And this short will almost certainly be better than whatever 'actual' movie gets made, with Not-Fillion as Drake.

Who do I pay to get more of this. shutupandtakemymoney.gif

It is campy but I love it

I thought Fillion was too old now to play Nate, but nope, I would totally watch a movie with him as Nate!

Also it was nice to see the huge guy from Banshee again.

Fillion lost a bunch of weight and worked to get in shape for a new cop show he's in on ABC. Although he looks skinnier in his new cop show tbh.

TBH I think he looks better now than 90% of the time he was on Castle. :unsure:

During the later of years of Castle, Fillion and Katic supposedly hated each other and wouldn't even talk to one another unless in character while filming.

Top Bottom