• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Hey guys this isnt finished but it should go pretty good with Marconnellys new theme*

*Or it will make it so you cant see a damn thing enjoy!

uncharted.jpg

Here is a smaller version so those without the flat screens can still see:

unchartedsm.jpg

Basch said:
You always have to make the wait harder for me, don't you? Why must you show a lot of hot things to me? :lol That poster makes me feel like I am about to watch a movie. How I wish more games were like this. Ehm, I meant wallpaper, because I totally knew it was wallpaper. :D

Ha sorry about that Basch but I promise it will live up to your lofty expectations.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ha sorry about that Basch but I promise it will live up to your lofty expectations.

Oh, it better, it better. :lol I don't think I am too hard to please, though. I groove to Kingdom Hearts and FF X-2 music. I'm not sure how many can say the same. :D

Basch said:
Oh, it better, it better. :lol I don't think I am too hard to please, though. I groove to Kingdom Hearts and FF X-2 music. I'm not sure how many can say the same. :D

:lol Basch you are officially one sweet dude.

Kittonwy

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The girl knows how to fight, that's a good thing. It's great that ND took this approach, a more down to earth girl with some wits about her, than say Ashley in RE4. Ditz, and with the survival prospect of a lame seal in False Bay.

It's great to have a girl who can handle herself.
Indifferent2.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BruceLeeRoy, that's one really nice wallpaper. I like it a lot.

Speevy said:
Babysitting NPCs sucks. I can't think of a single game in which protecting someone was a highlight.
Ico? Maybe not you, but a lot of people liked protecting an NPC there. Maybe it also helped that NPC was basically a smart bomb if you reach a door with her, though :p

Kittonwy said:
You wanna shoot Elena but why rawr?
angry.gif
I don't want to! I can't! That's why I'm asking what happens instead of trying it out myself :lol

Anyways, here's the newly updated theme:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2D9VPCX9

There's two new wallpapers in addition to previous two. Much thanks to TTP for making screen captures of these! You can also see the new date&time settings icon at the bottom of the settings icons column.
82dztxd.jpg

6tk9qf9.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Ico would be an exception because that's an extension of you, and that's the whole game. I mean, what else would you be doing? Certainly not progressing forward with any intent or purpose.

I'm talking about the "OMG people are going to kill your friend." missions. The elegant design of ICO is a far cry from sniping zombies in RE4.

I just can't think of an example where I didn't want the other character to just die. For example, another PS3 game, Heavenly Sword.

patsu said:
:lol

Isn't it more fun that way ?
I guess. I've just never been trown a curve ball in a game before... completely changed the tone. It's exciting and it threw me out of my comfort zone. Great fucking game.

Speevy

Banned
That's my personal lowpoint. It does make the *plot* more interesting, but gameplay-wise, it's like you're playing a completely different game, a worse one at that.

Crusade

I noticed the Assassin's Creed TV spot here in Aus used the same Massive Attack music as the Uncharted trailer... Perhaps that's why they decided not to use it as an actual ad?

AKS

Crusade said:
I noticed the Assassin's Creed TV spot here in Aus used the same Massive Attack music as the Uncharted trailer... Perhaps that's why they decided not to use it as an actual ad?

Loved Uncharted's "massive attack" trailer. One of my favorite VG trailers ever.

AKS

Speevy said:
That's my personal lowpoint. It does make the *plot* more interesting, but gameplay-wise, it's like you're playing a completely different game, a worse one at that.

I thought it was a brilliant idea. Kept me on my toes by mixing things up a bit.

patsu

Speevy said:

From my perspective, it adds more fun and dimension to the game. That's all there is to it.
I don't really care whether it's a completely different game or not. :)

At first, I gripped my controller rather tightly and prowled the area. Then, I just *FLED* :lol

patsu said:
From my perspective, it adds more fun and dimension to the game. That's all there is to it.
I don't really care whether it's a completely different game or not. :)

At first, I gripped my controller rather tightly and prowled the area. Then, I just *FLED* :lol
I'm not the only one then, good. Haha.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:

Ico? Maybe not you, but a lot of people liked protecting an NPC there. Maybe it also helped that NPC was basically a smart bomb if you reach a door with her, though :p

I don't want to! I can't! That's why I'm asking what happens instead of trying it out myself :lol

Anyways, here's the newly updated theme:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2D9VPCX9

There's two new wallpapers in addition to previous two. Much thanks to TTP for making screen captures of these! You can also see the new date&time settings icon at the bottom of the settings icons column.
http://i15.tinypic.com/82dztxd.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/6tk9qf9.jpg

Downloadin' now.
Indifferent2.gif

Marconelly said:

Marconelly the Theme is absolutely brilliant thanks so much man I love just going over the icons again and again. Excellent theme for a excellent game thanks man.

Just finished the game... I must say, best PS3 experience I've had since I got the machine. I thought WarHawk and Ratchet took the cake but this game was great. Loved every single minute of it.

BlackGoku03 said:
Just finished the game... I must say, best PS3 experience I've had since I got the machine. I thought WarHawk and Ratchet took the cake but this game was great. Loved every single minute of it.

Glad to hear you liked it man.

Tendou

Banned
Speevy said:
Ico would be an exception because that's an extension of you, and that's the whole game. I mean, what else would you be doing? Certainly not progressing forward with any intent or purpose.

I'm talking about the "OMG people are going to kill your friend." missions. The elegant design of ICO is a far cry from sniping zombies in RE4.

I just can't think of an example where I didn't want the other character to just die. For example, another PS3 game, Heavenly Sword.
Well, I can say that I personally didn't want Eva to die in Metal Gear Solid 3. Granted, it wasn't the most fun stage in the game, but the feeling was there. The only thing is that even when she would die, the mission would restart - so it's purpose wasn't very succesful in that regard.

In MGS however, Meryl would actually die if you gave in to the torture. Too bad the story has to be coherent. That's a downside when it comes to gaming franchises.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Okay, I got my DS3 and this game today. I didn't know the DS3 had pressure sensitive buttons...again. I thought they abandoned that with the arrival of the Sixaxis but now it alongside rumble are both back. The controller is excellent and Uncharted's application of its rumble technology is superb.

Uncharted is fun, but again (as critics have mentioned), it's nothing spectacular. It's a fun 8.5-ish game. Including gameplay that I've experienced before and absolutely raped platforming (I'm one of those individuals who doesn't mind linearity in design of any sort, but the platforming bits are so straight forward and scripted, EDIT that they are mostly boring but can be a bit exciting (couple sequences I remember now were somewhat entertaining). This is especially so after playing nigh 30 hours of Assassin's Creed).

Good stuff though. It's a completely derivative and mostly fulfilling game thus far (how's that for consistant tone but oxymoronic message? derivative: negative connotation; fulfilling: positive connotation). It truly is "like a summer blockbuster" (1UP, IGN -- pretty much everyone).

The narrative is engrossing but nothing out of the ordinary. I expected a bit more from the new member of Naughty Dog's family, Amy Hennig (despite having not played the Soul Reaver games in their entirety), only because she's been the topic of many discussions in the industry. Regardless, the narrative, 60% of the way through, has kept me glued to my television screen, even if it isn't the result of a meticulously crafted plot. No -- the reason I'm funneling all my attention to the speakers during the cutscenes and tightening my grasp on the dangling hook that is Uncharted's narrative is one quality where the game is head-over-heels beyond the competition: characters.

The characters, especially Elena and Sully, are endearing and amiable companions. I take great enjoyment in having them by my side. Nathan, Elena, Sully -- these are truly some of the best characters I've seen in a video game this generation. So relatable, energetic, and consistent in holding their respectively fascinating personalities throughout the course of (half) the game that it makes me look back at Gears of War to dig past the revolutionary (I've already said "hi" to Killswitch) cover mechanic and realize the characters are absolute garbage.

I'm 57% of the way through (according to the start menu) and I've been playing for four hours and ten minutes. In response to that, I'm way disapointed. I just paid $64 for this game; let's hope my already substantial feeling of buyer's-remorse fades away with successive play-throughs and treasure-hunting quests. But on the subject of value, in another regard, I do feel like I received what I paid for in the visual department. There were literally moments when I realized my jaw was a good couple inches away from its resting place (which is a good couple inches above where it was :lol ) because the world and its characters are so beautiful. The environment your in is entirely believable and alive. Gorgeous is an understatement: this is the best looking next generation game out there.

Remaining minor gripes: I wish the enemies wouldn't dance around so much and the animation are not as polished and extraordinary as people claim them to be. The procedural animation is great, but often times in observing its execution, it seems unfinished. And some of the standard animations look a bit wonky to me as well.

Again, and this is not a minor drawback like those established above, I wish the platforming was designed with more thought. Aside from one or two instances, the platforming thus far has been nothing more than a means to stitch together the abundant shooting segments of the game. Easy, predictable, and obvious to maneuver through, the platforming sequences are a major let down, even in relation to Ratchet and Clank, a contemporary action game I thought offered the most sans-freedom/thought-intensive platforming on the market has been deposed for the award of "most uninspired platforming". Oh, and puzzles? Forget puzzles. The only puzzles I've encountered after living through 60% of this "blockbuster" were during the first thirty minutes; thereafter, they're nowhere to be found.

So, despite the complaints, the game has been fun. I'm glad I played it but I'm not yet sure if I'm glad I bought it. We'll see if my regret fades into...relief? Hopefully it does.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Careful now, dirtmonkey. :lol

I think you and I pretty much agree on Uncharted's platforming -- just funny that it was AC that evoked the same feelings.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
chespace said:
Careful now, dirtmonkey. :lol

I think you and I pretty much agree on Uncharted's platforming -- just funny that it was AC that evoked the same feelings.

How so? Is it for the reason that everyone (read: GAF) thought it would be a passive and mundane experience until they tried AC's platforming :D I felt the same, to tell you the truth, until I lost thirty hours to that game with one of the main reasons for it being the brilliantly reinvigoration of "jumping."

...and to think that the whole "hold down A to do everything" was almost a sponaneous design choice (if you remember what has been said about how Montreal tried to incorporate multiple presses of 'A' as the main platforming mechanic but then realized that it didn't work as well as planned).

Anyways, tell me if you've posted similar comments on Uncharted's platforming in this thread. I'll look 'em up to see if there indeed is anyone else who feels precisely the same as I :D

Firewire said:
You guys see this?

DRAKE’S TRAIL: BIG COMP, BIG PRIZE

Drakeimage1.jpg

"There’s a nice comp running over at www.unchartedps3.com; a Google Maps-powered Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (ARG) alternative reality game. Track down Nathan Drake first and the prize is two return flights to Cancun, seven nights all-in accommodation in a four star hotel and two activities - GPS scavenger hunt and snorkel, and a submarine trip. Ten runners up bag a 26″ TV. The comp runs until the end of January.

Ah yeah, and if you’re a bit handy at this treasure hunting caper, best not to post your solutions to the tasks on here, as you’ll only have a slew of other contestants stealing a march on you"

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=762

So I'm convinced that they dont want us to finish now... I'm at a point where I know I've tried everything and I'm where another Gaffer is at... they must be holding back clues

Kittonwy

Banned
BlackGoku03 said:

I feel the same way, for me it was Resistance and Ratchet that were the best games on the system but now Uncharted has taken the crown.
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

dirtmonkey37 said:
I wish the enemies wouldn't dance around so much.

This is my favorite part of the game. The pirates does a lot of things to throw off my aim.

Kittonwy said:
I feel the same way, for me it was Resistance and Ratchet that were the best games on the system but now Uncharted has taken the crown.

RFOM and R&C remain my most played games because of their entertainment value. I don't exactly know how to rate Uncharted yet. Because every technical aspect (visual, audio, AI, gameplay mechanics) is exceptional, it is in a class by itself. But I also see this as a first attempt of the Uncharted formula. There is still room for even more experimentation. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I personally would like to see some more stealth element (to avoid combat if I choose to). The puzzles are ok for me. More open level is nice but not game breaking for me, etc.
Everyone's mileage will vary.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Okay, I got my DS3 and this game today. I didn't know the DS3 had pressure sensitive buttons...again. I thought they abandoned that with the arrival of the Sixaxis but now it alongside rumble are both back. The controller is excellent and Uncharted's application of its rumble technology is superb.

You mean the SixAxis doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons? oO

/me goes test GT5P

*edit* Btw, if you're playing the Uncharted website game and got stuck in
Genoa
, they updated the game and you can continue now ^^

And lol I'm in Portugal now ^^

Steroyd

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My order is being shipped off as we speak. :D

But 3-5 working days :/ I hope that includes today so I get it on Friday.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dirtmonkey37 said:
The only puzzles I've encountered after living through 60% of this "blockbuster" were during the first thirty minutes; thereafter, they're nowhere to be found.
You are right at the point where there will be a few more puzzles. But they are again nothing too challenging.

As for platforming and other control-based actions, I'll take the responsive, hands-on approach in Uncharted anyday. AC really feels automated at times. Almost as if the game is playing itself.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure Sixaxis had pressure sensitive buttons. How could it not? It would make a bunch of games unplayable, especially PS2 MGS games for example.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It seems like some folks want this to be more than it was designed to be. This is a faster paced Gears of War with some light adventure elements tossed in.

Just finished the website mini game. You guys should all do it, it's a great introduction to the game and gives you a lot on background story.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Regular SIXAXIS controllers do have analog/pressure sensitive buttons: DS3 is an evolution of the SIXAXIS controller that adds features without taking anything away.

Firewire

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Just finished the website mini game. You guys should all do it, it's a great introduction to the game and gives you a lot on background story.

I gave up in Italy, last night. How the hell did you finish it?

Guess what game I finally purchased? Jericho.

Seriously though after finals next week I'm digging into this bitch. Just wanted to share the good news.

randomwab

Is this game out tomorrow or Friday in Pal land? The opening post says tomorrow and Play.com says it's out, but Amazon says Friday D:

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
It seems like some folks want this to be more than it was designed to be. This is a faster paced Gears of War with some light adventure elements tossed in.
Well, I was hoping that aside from shooting and running, the game would take you onto a treasure hunting adventure, I think that was a reasonable thing to expect, and in that sense it didn't disappoint at all. Great characters and dialogue, satisfying narrative and a intriguing scenery to look at and explore. With well balanced pacing and technological and artistic polish it all adds up to a seamless and gripping adventuring experience. But the puzzles were so-so, I think if they decided to have puzzles there, they should have made them tougher, or at least made that optional. Still, the really great action more than makes up for it overall. The game is just really fun to play and replay, and I could for example never bring myself to replay any **** Raider games, even those I liked the most.

Raist

Banned
Currently on chapter 7 (3h and a half). 19 treasures so far (found the strange relic :p)

Not many medal points, I've played on hard from the start so I'm mostly trying not to get owned :lol

I really like it, the pacing is excellent, there's a good balancing between platforming and shooting, for me, and of course the gfx are awesome. I usually spend a bit of time just staring at the amazing vistas. My personnal GOTY, without a doubt.

So do you guys thing the story will sorta play off of the story in the first or if it will go more for a Indiana Jones type and be a new treasure in each new game?

Top Bottom