• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

The Chef

deepbrown said:
Do you have any questions for Naughty Dog?

hahaha you love that question huh Brown?
well if I could ask them something it would probably have to do with the water. I know they were unsatisfied with how it turned out and they have bigger plans for it in the future.
My question to them would be: Is it even possible to make water look better than how you have already made it?

Firewire said:
I gave up in Italy, last night. How the hell did you finish it?

Refresh my memory, which one is Italy? What do you have there?

*edit* Ahh the Boat one, they updated that part, there's new stuff to find if you go there now.

deepbrown

The Chef said:
hahaha you love that question huh Brown?
well if I could ask them something it would probably have to do with the water. I know they were unsatisfied with how it turned out and they have bigger plans for it in the future.
My question to them would be: Is it even possible to make water look better than how you have already made it?
Well I'm not asking for no reason...ok. I'll save that one.

deepbrown said:
Do you have any questions for Naughty Dog?

Yeah Deep thanks for the opportunity:

Overall it seems that the majority of gamers that experience Uncharted are making this their GOTY and if not that certainly one of the best. However, the majority of the major review outlets have scored the game in the 8-8.5 range is it satisfying enough to see that the general populace adores your game or does it really nag at you not to get the recognition you deserve from the outlets.

Also do they feel Sony while no doubt a great partner has done enough from a marketing point of view to make Uncharted a sucess.

I believe Uncharted by far has the best graphics of any console game currently out if it is truly only using 30% of the power of the PS3 do you believe we will see as wide a jump in quality between this Uncharted and the next as we did with Jak 1 and Jak 2&3(Which was monumental)

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah Deep thanks for the opportunity:

Overall it seems that the majority of gamers that experience Uncharted are making this their GOTY and if not that certainly one of the best. However, the majority of the major review outlets have scored the game in the 8-8.5 range is it satisfying enough to see that the general populace adores your game or does it really nag at you not to get the recognition you deserve from the outlets.

Also do they feel Sony while no doubt a great partner has done enough from a marketing point of view to make Uncharted a sucess.

I believe Uncharted by far has the best graphics of any console game currently out if it is truly only using 30% of the power of the PS3 do you believe we will see as wide a jump in quality between this Uncharted and the next as we did with Jak 1 and Jak 2&3(Which was monumental)

Well for a start, if you frequented n4g.com you'd see the majority of Uncharted reviews are actually 9/10. Gamesrankings etc. aren't updating though. They did recently add a 10/10 and 9.8/10 though. So the first question is inaccurate. BUT a question about the state of reviewing, especially when the website that sports a comment on Uncharted's box gave the worst written review I've ever read - a question about it could be relevant.

deepbrown said:
Well for a start, if you frequented n4g.com you'd see the majority of Uncharted reviews are actually 9/10. Gamesrankings etc. aren't updating though. They did recently add a 10/10 and 9.8/10 though. So the first question is inaccurate. BUT a question about the state of reviewing, especially when the website that sports a comment on Uncharted's box gave the worst written review I've ever read - a question about it could be relevant.

Well I understand that now a lot of reviews have come out that scored the game very well but I was more talking about the big 3:

1up
Gamespot
Edge

But I can see how that kind of is covered a question like you said that covers more of the state of reviewing sound more appropriate.

Is Naughty Dog satisfied with the variety of gameplay they put into the title?

Will they take peoples criticisms about the
jetski part (wishing it was more enthralling like the jeep chase) or that people didn't like the creatures that appeared near the end of the game?
Will these be looked at when on the drawing board for Uncharted part 2?

Is there anything that didn't make the final cut into the game that everyone was hoping for?

DeadGzuz said:
Wait, deepbrown has a connection to ND? Excellent game, I'm just past the first jet ski parts.

While I didnt exactly go crazy for the JetSki parts the second one where your going up the stream is so damn amazing looking I forgive it pretty quickly.

The Chef

deepbrown said:

You sure about that?

TGR: Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Review 8.8/10
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review - DailyGame, 8.8/10
IGN AU Reviews Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 8.9/10
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 411 Mania Review (8.0/10)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review - HonestGamers Review (8/10)
USA Today - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune proves PS3 is here to play (8/10)
Videogamer Give Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: 8/10
EDGE Give 8/10 To Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune gets 8/10 from GamesRadar
1UP Uncharted Review 8.5
Gameinformer reviews Uncharted:8.75

deepbrown

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is Naughty Dog satisfied with the variety of gameplay they put into the title?

Will they take peoples criticisms about the
jetski part (wishing it was more enthralling like the jeep chase) or that people didn't like the creatures that appeared near the end of the game?
Will these be looked at when on the drawing board for Uncharted part 2?

Is there anything that didn't make the final cut into the game that everyone was hoping for?
Yes they will take peoples criticisms about the jetski part

BruceLeeRoy said:
Well I understand that now a lot of reviews have come out that scored the game very well but I was more talking about the big 3:

1up
Gamespot
Edge

But I can see how that kind of is covered a question like you said that covers more of the state of reviewing sound more appropriate.

EDGE?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Chef, there's a lot more reviews in the 9+ range if you visit gamerankings.

But the question is right in the sense that some of the more prominent outlets gave it 8+ scores. EGM/1up, Gamespot, Game Informer most notably.

deepbrown said:
Um, they better not take to heart that second criticim he mentioned. The game of this kind
absolutely needs some kind of supernatural twist to it.
. As for Jetski, I thought both sections were fun, the game would be worse without them, especially the second one - riding upstream was just satisfactory and it was something new and novel.

Firewire

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Refresh my memory, which one is Italy? What do you have there?

*edit* Ahh the Boat one, they updated that part, there's new stuff to find if you go there now.

Its been updated! I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the info!

deepbrown said:

EDGE?

I mean just for that region but for sticking in the US Game Informer then.
My basic question is I know its got to be gratifying to be getting a ton of high reviews from these other magazines but really aside from IGN and Eurogamer the ones I am sure they wait to hear from are:

EGM
Game Informer

Simply because they are just a more widely circulated magazine.
Cause if it was me I would be really annoyed that a game like Gears(Which let me clarify I love and would definitely score a 9) Gets 10's and 9's for what it brings which really was not innovative at all it simply was just done really well with superb graphics so a year later Uncharted comes out and though quite different its better than gears in all the areas gears was already pretty great at and it excels in the areas gears was lacking.

Characters
Story
Graphics
Animations
Length
Playability

I understand that it has no multiplayer or co-op but it was designed to be such a focused story that I would expect similiar reviews.

Phew sorry for the long write up buts thats the jist of it.

The Chef

Marconelly said:
The Chef, there's a lot more reviews in the 9+ range if you visit gamerankings.

But the question is right in the sense that some of the more prominent outlets gave it 8+ scores. EGM/1up, Gamespot, Game Informer most notably.

Yeah I was going along with Bruce - the major game reviewers are in the 8's

Raist

Banned
Who cares ? This game is teh awesome :D

Would be much sadder if it bombs sales wise (like, say, Ratchet). I hope it'll sell well.

Raist said:
Who cares ? This game is teh awesome :D

Would be much sadder if it bombs sales wise (like, say, Ratchet). I hope it'll sell well.

Yeah I really dont care as long as it sells a fton it really should be the first successful PS3 title.(I know Resistance and Motorstorm did great but it took a long time I want immediate satisfaction for ND)

deepbrown

The Chef said:
You sure about that?

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 411 Mania Review (8.0/10)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review - HonestGamers Review (8/10)
USA Today - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune proves PS3 is here to play (8/10)
Videogamer Give Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: 8/10
EDGE Give 8/10 To Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune gets 8/10 from GamesRadar
1UP Uncharted Review 8.5

For a start Brusey said between 8 and 8.5 so i have taken out those higher than that and placed them here.

TGR: Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune Review 8.8/10
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review - DailyGame, 8.8/10
IGN AU Reviews Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 8.9/10
Gameinformer reviews Uncharted:8.75
GamerTM 9/10
Game Vortex 9.8/10
Sydney Morning Herald 9/10
Game Asymlu 10/10
Ripten 9.4/10
PCN 9.5/10
Loot Ninja 9.5/10
Gamezone 9/10
Tripletags 9.5/10
PS3 Informer 9/10
PSU 9/10
Famitsu 9,9,9,9
Projecttides 9/10
Deeko 9/10
GamerTV 10/10
Gamer 2.0 9.2/10
Palgn 9/10
PLAY 10/10
LoadingReality 9.5/10
PS3Advanced 9.3/10
GameRevolution 9/10
CCC 9.6/10
Videogameplayerz 9/10
PS3Fanboy 9.5/10
GamerNode 9/10
PSXExtreme 9/10
Gametrailers 8.9/10
GameDaily 9/10
GamerNL 10/10
YahooGames 9/10
UGO 9/10
Gamespy 9/10
EUROGAMER 9/10
IGN 9.1/10

I REST MY CASE -

G********* officially sucks....strange that it's no longer user submitted after all the Mass Effect Scores were in, and Microsoft blew their trumpet quoting G******* Now we can't submit these scores AT ALL

Some of you guys are so predictably sucked into the media - we don't need to be ruled by them! We can see all the great scores, and if they were all added Uncharted's average would be well in the 9's

SRG01

In retrospect, here's something I didn't get:

Remember that part when Elena tells Drake to go ahead and she seems a little... off? I didn't really understand that scene. Was it so that she could grab the Sully footage with her camera?

deepbrown

SRG01 said:
In retrospect, here's something I didn't get:

Remember that part when Elena tells Drake to go ahead and she seems a little... off? I didn't really understand that scene. Was it so that she could grab the Sully footage with her camera?
It was because Drake wanted to not carry on and get out of there - but Elena didn't, so she was trying to make sure they both stayed.

Basch

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I really dont care as long as it sells a fton it really should be the first successful PS3 title.(I know Resistance and Motorstorm did great but it took a long time I want immediate satisfaction for ND)

Same here. I did my part. Now, if this game bombs than I'm going to boycott existence. Well, not really, that is a bit extreme. :D Hopefully the media's ever popular Sony hating does not affect this.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
I mean just for that region but for sticking in the US Game Informer then.
My basic question is I know its got to be gratifying to be getting a ton of high reviews from these other magazines but really aside from IGN and Eurogamer the ones I am sure they wait to hear from are:

EGM
Game Informer

Simply because they are just a more widely circulated magazine.
Cause if it was me I would be really annoyed that a game like Gears(Which let me clarify I love and would definitely score a 9) Gets 10's and 9's for what it brings which really was not innovative at all it simply was just done really well with superb graphics so a year later Uncharted comes out and though quite different its better than gears in all the areas gears was already pretty great at and it excels in the areas gears was lacking.

Characters
Story
Graphics
Animations
Length
Playability

I understand that it has no multiplayer or co-op but it was designed to be such a focused story that I would expect similiar reviews.

Phew sorry for the long write up buts thats the jist of it.

I personally don't think they should be annoyed at all. The only people they should be annoyed with are those that review it without sounding like they've played it. AND with stat sites that don't add half of the scores.

Basch

deepbrown said:
G********* officially sucks....strange that it's no longer user submitted after all the Mass Effect Scores were in, and Microsoft blew their trumpet quoting G******* Now we can't submit these scores AT ALL[/B]

Some of you guys are so predictably sucked into the media - we don't need to be ruled by them! We can see all the great scores, and if they were all added Uncharted's average would be well in the 9's

Agreed. This is no longer a conspiracy. It is reality. :D

Basch

deepbrown said:
I personally don't think they should be annoyed at all. The only people they should be annoyed with are those that review it without sounding like they've played it. AND with stat sites that don't add half of the scores.

Bu... But the other sites do not have opinions. So that means G*********** are awesome! :lol

deepbrown

Basch said:
Agreed. This is no longer a conspiracy. It is reality. :D
It's this...SONY SUCK AT THE INTERNET.

If they were any good at it, when g********* was usersubmitted they would have employed one guy to submit good review scores. But they suck and have never heard of the word "stats" and so they didn't.

deepbrown said:
It's this...SONY SUCK AT THE INTERNET.

If they were any good at it, when g********* was usersubmitted they would have employed one guy to submit good review scores. But they suck and have never heard of the word "stats" and so they didn't.

:lol :lol Thats awesome

But Sonys marketing for the most part sucks some serious balls.
I cant remember the last game in any era of a sony product where they did a effective job marketing something.
In the past they were the console leader so it was pretty easy for them to not really have to do anything and people to notice their games.

But this time they aren't and they are going against a much more superior company when it comes to that.
Sony's new ads are really awesome but they just dont know how to generate hype I remember when I would walk into a gamestop or even a damn blockbuster 5 months before either halo 3 or gears came out and their was crap all over the place. Sony needs to start making some deals especially when they have two games like Ratchet and Uncharted that have unbelievable mass market potential.

Gigglepoo said:
Did they draw inspiration from Robinson Crusoe...? Seriously, the stories are pretty similar.

Yeah good question.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
:lol :lol Thats awesome
The average...and this is not including sucky blogs....is 9.1/10

OK...that's your friggin average for you. AVERAGE over 9/10

*Deep goes stomping*

You know the only website's I'm annoyed with are Gamepro and Gamesradar.

I'm loving the game so far, but I'm on Ch.13 and haven't been able to do brutal combos! Do you have to hit Square, Triangle, Square with a delay or in a fast sequence? I really wan't those rewards points.

The Chef

ScissorHands said:
I'm loving the game so far, but I'm on Ch.13 and haven't been able to do brutal combos! Do you have to hit Square, Triangle, Square with a delay or in a fast sequence? I really wan't those rewards points.

Run up to a guy - hit square. After his punch lands hit triangle - after that punch lands hit square.

It was a pain for me too but you'll get the hang of it and be unstoppable

Don't get me wrong, I loved the jetski parts, but they should have made it similar to the Jeep part but opposite. You have to steer drake through exploding barrels and meanwhile she shoots the baddies. Add some crazy jumps and maybe other jetski enemies also would have been awesome. Still love the game and the sections though. Upriver was awesome. Damn those barrels! :)

Raist

Banned
ScissorHands said:

Hit the next button in the sequence when Drake hits the dude.
So basically : hit square > dude eats Drake's first punch = Hit triangle > dude eats second punch = hit square

deepbrown

The Chef said:
Run up to a guy - hit square. After his punch lands hit triangle - after that punch lands hit square.

It was a pain for me too but you'll get the hang of it and be unstoppable
Soo????

I have my kipper ready

deepbrown

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved the jetski parts, but they should have made it similar to the Jeep part but opposite. You have to steer drake through exploding barrels and meanwhile she shoots the baddies. Add some crazy jumps and maybe other jetski enemies also would have been awesome. Still love the game and the sections though. Upriver was awesome. Damn those barrels! :)
You know you don't need to aim on the upriver one...just tap r1

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
WTF!!! You dont??......DAMN!

Elena autoaims at barrelz and enemies.

Hence:

The jet-ski levels are also godly to look at, with moving water reflecting the surrounding buildings, but when you have to stop to aim your weapon and avoid fuel barrels, the pace is not as exciting. Although being in control of both Drake (driving the jetski) and Elena (wielding the gun) is important, the ability to shoot whilst moving might have helped here, something which is solved in the final very creative jetski section. Nothing like this has been seen before and should be praised for what it does. Sadly, both many others (myself included) presume that you still have to stop to shoot in this chapter also, until we slip our finger across the shoot button. A signpost might have helped here.

Reviewer who actually played the game: http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/01/uncharted-drakes-fortune-review/

He'll be doing the interview as well hopefully.
The Chef said:
....what?
To slap you with! You said they were all 8's and gave a measly list of 5 reviews....do you see my list or wah?

The Chef

deepbrown said:
To slap you with! You said they were all 8's and gave a measly list of 5 reviews....do you see my list or wah?

Oh i didn't know you were waiting for a response.
That list is quite extensive - there are a lot of higher scores in that for sure.

I stand corrected.

Man that upriver part is going to be so much of a blast on my second playthrough (havent started yet only due to the flood of games that have been released lately) I still can't beleive I didn't know that... ARRRGGGGGGG!

deepbrown

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Man that upriver part is going to be so much of a blast on my second playthrough (havent started yet only due to the flood of games that have been released lately) I still can't beleive I didn't know that... ARRRGGGGGGG!
Yep they needed to signpost it somehow.

Top Bottom