• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

the_id said:
So I lent my PS3 to my friend so he can play Ratchet and Uncharted. Didn't want to borrow his 360 though. I'm worried it might just die on me. Anyway his comment on the game:

"OMG! It's like being in a movie, except you're controlling the character! From the story, to the characters to the music! Even the main menu is like a DVD movie. I even watched the ending credits which is also like a movie!"

He's started a new game straight away. Bastard still doesn't want to get a PS3!

Damn your a good friend man.

the_id

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yes he is a bastard for not wanting to get his own ps3, but he is also correct in everything he said about the game. Its like being in a movie for sure! :D
What annoys me was his complaint of the lack of some sort of online functionality like leaderboards or even multiplayer. These xbox fanbots...seriously...

Pewp

I know I am so late to this thread but god damn. This game is fucking amazing. The story, characters and gameplay have GOTY written all over it for myself personally. I know for a fact that I will go through this game multiple times.

How many chapters are there in the game? I am at 13 and I hope the game lasts a lot longer.

Pewp said:
I know I am so late to this thread but god damn. This game is fucking amazing. The story, characters and gameplay have GOTY written all over it for myself personally. I know for a fact that I will go through this game multiple times.

How many chapters are there in the game? I am at 13 and I hope the game lasts a lot longer.

Dude your not late at all some of these poor bastards have to wait till christmas.

Pewp said:

bout halfway, 22 chapters in total.

Pewp

BruceLeeRoy said:
Dude your not late at all some of these poor bastards have to wait till christmas.

I feel very sorry for those people. Everyone with a PS3 needs to buy this game not only because its fucking amazing but it will increase the chance that we get a sequel.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
bout halfway, 22 chapters in total.

Thanks, this game seems a lot longer then I thought it would be.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Marconelly said:
You are right at the point where there will be a few more puzzles. But they are again nothing too challenging.

As for platforming and other control-based actions, I'll take the responsive, hands-on approach in Uncharted anyday. AC really feels automated at times. Almost as if the game is playing itself.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure Sixaxis had pressure sensitive buttons. How could it not? It would make a bunch of games unplayable, especially PS2 MGS games for example.

Actually, I think oppositely: I find Uncharted's platforming sequences to "play themselves" and Assassin's Creed to, although not requiring seperate manual button-presses, grant more freedom to the player in terms of where and if they want to jump. Uncharted's platforming bits are, as I mentioned, painfully obvious to maneuver through, require no dexterity whatsoever, and only a quarter of them are relatively exciting.

It's so obvious, the game might as well play itself.

Kittonwy

Banned
Pewp said:

It's a HOT DAMN FUCKING AWESOME game that everybody should buy and play. HDFA.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
the_id said:
So I lent my PS3 to my friend so he can play Ratchet and Uncharted. Didn't want to borrow his 360 though. I'm worried it might just die on me. Anyway his comment on the game:

"OMG! It's like being in a movie, except you're controlling the character! From the story, to the characters to the music! Even the main menu is like a DVD movie. I even watched the ending credits which is also like a movie!"

He's started a new game straight away. Bastard still doesn't want to get a PS3!

Take your PS3 back from your friend and slap him saying "Dude, get your own!" (tm)

VegaShinra

Finally got around to getting Uncharted and Holy Shit. I played for 5 hrs straight without stopping. The game is amazing and easily one of the best games of the year. I love the little achievements in the game and I know I'll play through this game a few times before getting bored with it.

deepbrown said:
You should want to punch Naughty Dog for not telling you.

Oh Lord, the first time on the wave runner, I didn't know you could shoot at all. Nathan told the girl, "You can handle the shooting" or something, so I assumed the AI would take care of it.

For the few runs I tried before accidentally hitting R1, I was having bad thoughts about ND.

Kittonwy

Banned
VegaShinra said:
Finally got around to getting Uncharted and Holy Shit. I played for 5 hrs straight without stopping. The game is amazing and easily one of the best games of the year. I love the little achievements in the game and I know I'll play through this game a few times before getting bored with it.

Something I found was that when I finished crushing I was able to just start a new game on hard without even having to take a break, there's something about how the game flows that makes it really easy to just keep playing. There are a few tough spots but none are ultimately overly frustrating, it's like one can find his own solution to every situation.

Somehow my girlfriend has gotten really into this game, to the point where she won't share. This game is so freaking solid- from now on whenever I play a 3rd person shooter I'm going to compare it to this. I'm really worried GTA4 will be unplayable thanks to the awesome system in uncharted.

Matchew

Just wanted to pop in here and say I just beat the game and it was one of the better games I played all year. The best thing about the game was the pacing I couldn't put the game down.

A great game it was, but I don't think it was my GOTY for two reasons. 1. I beat the game in 7 hours and 30 mins and 2. the jet ski levels were a big let down. Other then that great great great game.

Crusade

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys here is another wallpaper and in case anyone wants the other one or didnt see it I have included it as well.

http://www.globalstudio.com/samples/uncharted.jpg[/IM]

[IMG]http://www.globalstudio.com/samples/unchartedwall2.jpg[/IG]

Next gen filter: :D

[IMG]http://www.globalstudio.com/samples/unchartedwall2b.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]They're okay. Too much blending and way too many Drakes. No real theme to it either. Try something simpler

the_id

notjackbauer said:
Somehow my girlfriend has gotten really into this game, to the point where she won't share. This game is so freaking solid- from now on whenever I play a 3rd person shooter I'm going to compare it to this. I'm really worried GTA4 will be unplayable thanks to the awesome system in uncharted.

I want your girlfriend. You can take mine. She's not bad. Let's trade.

Basch

A little while ago, I gave a listing of world wide reviews for Uncharted with links: that post can be found at the 11589 mark. Well, I finally did the math, and, as of now, Uncharted has recieved a 91.18% average! :D There were 82 scores listed, and Uncharted scored 747.65/820.00 pts. Yay! I will update the listings as more reviews come in.

Crusade said:
They're okay. Too much blending and way too many Drakes. No real theme to it either. Try something simpler

Good points good points I was going for more of a movie poster style but I totally see what you mean. I really want to do one that has more of the inside of the monastary I should have some free time tomorrow Ill see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Crusade

BruceLeeRoy said:
Good points good points I was going for more of a movie poster style but I totally see what you mean. I really want to do one that has more of the inside of the monastary I should have some free time tomorrow Ill see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
With your latest one, you could've had a "Drake and the bad guys" theme easily. But it's all a bit cluttered. Throw the bad guys on the other side of the poster, so they're juxtaposed against Drake and there's something going

The Chef

Crusade said:
They're okay. Too much blending and way too many Drakes. No real theme to it either. Try something simpler

Oh ok artist, care to share anything that you have made with the class?

Didn't think so S T F U

Bruce dont listen to that guy - those are all amazing. You can see just tell the amount of time that went into each of those backgrounds. Thanks for the hard work - I am using the 1st one as my PS3 background - so gorgeous

Surreal

The Chef said:
Oh ok artist, care to share what you have made with the class?

Didn't think so S T F U

Bruce dont listen to that guy - those are all amazing. You can see just tell the amount of time that went into each of those backgrounds. Thanks for the hard work - I am using the 1st one as my PS3 background - so gorgeous

It's just constructive criticism, you'll never get better if people don't point out your faults. I think everything Crusade said is very good advice.

Basch

Surreal said:
It's just constructive criticism, you'll never get better if people don't point out your faults. I think everything Crusade said is very good advice.

Indeed. It can be fun to find new ways to improve/challenge yourself. You guys should see me after I get done with my artwork: 'I think it's sh*+!' I'm not really nice to myself. :lol But I am not that way all the time. Once in a while, I will say the exact opposite. Then I look for how to improve it. It's a never-ending cycle I tell you. :D

Crusade

The Chef said:
Oh ok artist, care to share anything that you have made with the class?

Didn't think so S T F U

giantindifvh7.gif

The Chef

Basch said:
Indeed. It can be fun to find new ways to improve/challenge yourself. You guys should see me after I get done with my artwork: 'I think it's sh*+!' I'm not really nice to myself. :lol But I am not that way all the time. Once in a while, I will say the exact opposite. Then I look for how to improve it. It's a never-ending cycle I tell you. :D

Your just too humble Basch.
Cant wait to see it when its done.

Basch

The Chef said:
Your just too humble Basch.
Cant wait to see it when its done.

What's done? They're all in the trash. :lol

Actually, I really did like two drawings I did. Too bad I can't find them, and one is incomplete. :D I'm better with design.

The Chef

Basch said:
What's done? They're all in the trash. :lol

Actually, I really did like two drawings I did. Too bad I can't find them, and one is incomplete. :D I'm better with design.

You threw them away!
Ah man, well post up those other two drawings you did before you convince yourself that they are bad too

Basch

The Chef said:
You threw them away!
Ah man, well post up those other two drawings you did before you convince yourself that they are bad too

If I find them, I will think about it. But they're seriously not that good. This is about a bad artist trying to become better. Plus, I don't get too detailed with my artwork. I think anime has had a big influence on that.

I remember when I was about ten-eleven years old. I tried drawing as super detailed as I could. I do not even know what I was trying to draw, but the picture ended up being of an ancient Roman-looking dude that looked as if he just came out of the shower. :lol Don't ask me! :D He had a big head and tiny shoulders. He looked kind of seductive too: at least it looked like he was trying to be. Ah, that has got to be the worst drawing I have ever done. Utterly embarassing. The funny thing is I think I still have that one; somewhere.

The Chef

Basch said:
If I find them, I will think about it. But they're seriously not that good. This is about a bad artist trying to become better. Plus, I don't get too detailed with my artwork. I think anime has had a big influence on that.

I remember when I was about ten-eleven years old. I tried drawing as super detailed as I could. I do not even know what I was trying to draw, but the picture ended up being of an ancient Roman-looking dude that looked as if he just came out of the shower. :lol Don't ask me! :D He had a big head and tiny shoulders. He looked kind of seductive too: at least it looked like he was trying to be. Ah, that has got to be the worst drawing I have ever done. Utterly embarassing. The funny thing is I think I still have that one; somewhere.

:lol :lol omg you need to make that your tag line.

I was the same way when I was a lot younger. I tried to draw really detailed which in turn made my drawings really really tiny.
My dad, who has been an artist since he was my age got me a sketch pad and some great drawing books that help train you to "use the left side of your brain" in your artwork. Pretty amazing stuff.
Anyway, the point being is that my dad and the books always encourage you to hang on to everything you make - no matter how terrible you think it is.
There is no better way to see how much you have progressed till you see where you started ;)

Basch

The Chef said:
:lol :lol omg you need to make that your tag line.

I was the same way when I was a lot younger. I tried to draw really detailed which in turn made my drawings really really tiny.
My dad, who has been an artist since he was my age got me a sketch pad and some great drawing books that help train you to "use the left side of your brain" in your artwork. Pretty amazing stuff.
Anyway, the point being is that my dad and the books always encourage you to hang on to everything you make - no matter how terrible you think it is.There is no better way to see how much you have progressed till you see where you started ;)

Well, that won't be possible as it has fallen into 'the void.' My mother is a pack-rat. There is no way I will be able to find it. That may be a good thing, though. Everytime that it was still around and I saw it I trembled. It is already bad enough that I have a mental picture of it. :lol Don't worry, though, I know how far along I've come.

Surfheart

Picked my copy up here today in Australia yay!

Why does Sony shaft us with black and white manuals? I assume the US version is colour?
I own all the 1st/2nd party exclusives and they all have black and white manuals.

It's not a big deal really since I look at it once and never again, but it's the principal of the thing and I feel that black and white manuals feel cheap.

/rant

The Chef

Basch said:
Everytime that it was still around and I saw it I trembled. It is already bad enough that I have a mental picture of it.

hahahahaha my curiosity is officially peaked

Well if you ever find it you need to scan it and post it immediately.
I think you owe it to us all after a description like that

Surfheart said:
Picked my copy up here today in Australia yay!

Why does Sony shaft us with black and white manuals? I assume the US version is colour?
I own all the 1st/2nd party exclusives and they all have black and white manuals.

It's not a big deal really since I look at it once and never again, but it's the principal of the thing and I feel that black and white manuals feel cheap.

/rant

Black and white manuals?
Thats pretty bizarre. But forget the manual and play it already!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dirtmonkey37 said:
Actually, I think oppositely: I find Uncharted's platforming sequences to "play themselves"
I wasn't talking specifically about platforming sequences (although it in part goes for those too), but controls and terrain traversal in general. In Uncharted things happen the moment you press buttons, the response to controls is very snappy and you feel in complete control of your character, still it does that without breaking the flow in the animation.

Pure platforming sequences are just a small subset of terrain traversal in the game - its control mechanics really shine when you have to do things quickly in the middle of firefight, climb over the jeep, run across and roll into the legs of weakened enemy mowing him down, jump across the railing to the stairs, run up them and jump across to the higher ground even before you've reached the end of stairs, then slide behind the cover.

Because you actually have to do all those moves yourself, it's really satisfactory to do, and requires some skill to pull off, but at the same time everything flows so nicely that it looks like the whole sequence was a canned animation. Needless to say you have almost infinite possibilities for this kind of stuff, and it couldn't possibly be further away from "it plays itself".

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
AUSTRALIANS UNCHARTED 89 BUCKS AT KMART GO GO GO :lol

Syphon Filter Logans Shadow $59 at Kmart and JB Hifi (79 at EB)

Signstar $59 for game alone and $109 for Microphones and game, think its cheaper at Kmart or JB than EB......... so dont support EB and go somewhere without death metal playing while kids sit on the floor and look at games *shudders*

Valcrist

I know Uncharted takes from many different inspirations, but if you watch national treasure...you can see some similarities. I hope they make the storyline even more mysterious next time.

Top Bottom