• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Raist said:
Well, are we really sure he's dead ? We only saw him fall with a spaniard, and that's it. I'm sure he'll make a come back :p

well....

the dead golem thing bit him in the neck as he went down

Kittonwy

Banned
Endow said:
It's a 267 page thread so bare with me.I'm going to post something I wrote in the LoK thread and I hope someone can give me a satisfying answer

"

Apart from Team Ico's next game the only reason for me to get a PS3 right now is Hennig being behind Uncharted (and the the fact Simon Templeman voices a character).

Just to clarify, do you consider Uncharted story a masterpiece? Is it LoK-caliber? I would get it this instance if I knew the story was great. It's not that I think Hennig has lost her touch it's just that Uncharted always striked me as a more popcorn-movie kind of story and something of a marketing strategy..."

Gordon Hunt did Soul Reaver's voice direction and he directed all the mo-caps in Uncharted as well as the voice-work. Richard Lemarchand who was the senior designer at Crystal Dynamics for Soul Reaver is also at Naughty Dog as the Lead Designer for Uncharted. Pedigree-aside, Uncharted IS a master-piece, LOK was not quite Uncharted caliber, Soul Reaver was close but Uncharted is infinitely more playable in that it's easy to pick up and enjoy over and over again, accessibility is key here, it's like Raiders of the Lost Ark, a movie that is fun to watch for the first time, the second time, the third time and so on.
Indifferent2.gif

eve241

Kittonwy said:
Gordon Hunt did Soul Reaver's voice direction and he directed all the mo-caps in Uncharted as well as the voice-work. Richard Lemarchand who was the senior designer at Crystal Dynamics for Soul Reaver is also at Naughty Dog as the Lead Designer for Uncharted. Pedigree-aside, Uncharted IS a master-piece, LOK was not quite Uncharted caliber, Soul Reaver was close but Uncharted is infinitely more playable in that it's easy to pick up and enjoy over and over again, accessibility is key here, it's like Raiders of the Lost Ark, a movie that is fun to watch for the first time, the second time, the third time and so on.
Indifferent2.gif

I'm the kind of LoK fan that doesn't care "too" much about the gameplay and I still can enjoy the game. I play it mainly for the story. I'm sure Uncharted gameplay in itself is more enticing than LoK's most of the time but I'm talking about the story alone.Oh and the characters of course.

As far as considering LoK a masterpiece I think people are a little bit biased when judging games. Ico can be considered a masterpiece with it's minimal gameplay but Soul Reaver 2 can't.

Kittonwy

Banned
Endow said:
I'm the kind of LoK fan that doesn't care "too" much about the gameplay and I still can enjoy the game. I play it mainly for the story. I'm sure Uncharted gameplay in itself is more enticing than LoK's most of the time but I'm talking about the story alone.Oh and the characters of course.

As far as considering LoK a masterpiece I think people are a little bit biased when judging games. Ico can be considered a masterpiece with it's minimal gameplay but Soul Reaver 2 can't.

Oh don't get me wrong, Uncharted has a great story too, with great characters, likeable characters that are so well acted, it's just that Uncharted is a combination of great story AND great gameplay.

eve241

Kittonwy said:
Oh don't get me wrong, Uncharted has a great story too, with great characters, likeable characters that are so well acted, it's just that Uncharted is a combination of great story AND great gameplay.

But would you say is comparable with Lok's in terms of quality?

deepbrown

Truespeed said:
Your screen shots of images on your TV are amazing and the best I've ever seen. I mean it's almost like your scraping the frame buffer in some of those shots. How do you do it and what equipment do you use?
My shots? Which shots are these? I normally post shots from different people...and not my own :p

deepbrown

Endow said:
But would you say is comparable with Lok's in terms of quality?
Both very good quality - you'll be engaged, but it doesnt have the depth and philosophy behind it. There's some twisting in it though.

Gibb

Just finished this game yesterday evening on normal.. wow.. awesome ride!
Can't get that title tune out of my head!
Took me about 4 or 5 evenings (around 2 hours each) and 1 complete afternoon (I know.. blame the environments).
Got 33 treasures out of 60.
Later all, I'm starting again on hard.. *jumps over couch*.. so much fun! :lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gibb said:
Just finished this game yesterday evening on normal.. wow.. awesome ride!
Can't get that title tune out of my head!
Took me about 4 or 5 evenings (around 2 hours each) and 1 complete afternoon (I know.. blame the environments).
Got 33 treasures out of 60.
Later all, I'm starting again on hard.. *jumps over couch*.. so much fun! :lol

i myself ..still searching for the silver llama :(

AKS

andycapps said:
Motorstorm is at least a rental for the fantastic gameplay and graphics (horrible loading times though)...

I suspect the sequel to MotorStorm will fix most of the key flaws of the original, the loading times and lack of features. Plus, the sequel could easily take advantage of Blu-ray's huge capacity by including everything (or at least most things) from the original without needing to worry about what will fit onto the disc. They could easily double the tracks because they could probably fit two MotorStorm sized games onto a single disc. Can't wait!

AKS

deepbrown said:
The narrative doesn't really compare to LOK though.

It's a very different type of story, though. If they changed the tone of Uncharted to something similar to LoK instead of something more lighthearted, it would not fit very well with the pulp adventurers and Indiana Jones films that inspired Uncharted. The narratives of each fit the themes of the games perfectly.

deepbrown

AKS said:
It's a very different type of story, though. If they changed the tone of Uncharted to something similar to LoK instead of something more lighthearted, it would not fit very well with the pulp adventurers and Indiana Jones films that inspired Uncharted. The narratives of each fit the themes of the games perfectly.
Agreed. Though just saying - don't expect LOK type storyline.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mrbob said:
The Far Cry Tri Gen esque twist near the end was annoying, but at least this segment
isn't too overplayed.

Great game overall.
I spoilered it because there's still people asking what the game's story is like. Now, I have to say I really, really don't get some of you complaining about this.
Would you preferred there was nothing? Like if in alternate version of Raiders, if they would open the ark, and the movie would end with the scene of Nazi guys seeing there's nothing in it? They all pack up, go home, and that's it, ark was nothing more than a religious symbol?
What fun would that be.

Sh0k

I finished the game for the first time yesterday, I started on Hard and with the Hints turned off. Fantastic game, I don't know how much time it took me to beat it but I can't wait to play it again, I only found around 35 treasures and still have a lot of medals to unlock.

Question, to start the game in Crushing mode do I just need to start a new game ? After I finished the game yesterday, I went into the Options menu, but I couldn't find the Crushing mode under the game difficulty.

Raist

Banned
Sh0k said:
Question, to start the game in Crushing mode do I just need to start a new game ? After I finished the game yesterday, I went into the Options menu, but I couldn't find the Crushing mode under the game difficulty.

Yeah, it's only available after you select "new game". If you continue the game you just finished, or just go through the options, it's not available.

Raist

Banned
Started playing AC yesterday, and oh boy, I think Uncharted spoiled me badly.

I guess I'll have some short AC sessions, while starting my 3rd playthrough. Still need a few treasures and medals.

Lince

Banned
on my 2nd playthrough, crushing difficulty + mirrored world activated, now the game is 300% more fun, challenging and satisfying. GOTY

bumpkin

I'm at chapter 6 on my second time through, and you know what I just realized? There were options under "bonuses" for things like weapons, costume changes, mirrored worlds, etc. I know ammo really is relatively abundant -- at least on Easy and Normal -- but I really wish I had the reward points to unlock unlimited ammo. I'm not at all looking forward to later in the game when the
crazed Spaniard creatures make their appearance; especially not the stand-off in the rooms surrounding the generator.

Kittonwy

Banned
bumpkin said:
I'm at chapter 6 on my second time through, and you know what I just realized? There were options under "bonuses" for things like weapons, costume changes, mirrored worlds, etc. I know ammo really is relatively abundant -- at least on Easy and Normal -- but I really wish I had the reward points to unlock unlimited ammo. I'm not at all looking forward to later in the game when the
crazed Spaniard creatures make their appearance; especially not the stand-off in the rooms surrounding the generator.

There are plenty of ammo for those encounters.

GrayFoxPL

I finally got the game after over 30 days of waiting for it to come from the US :lol.

Started the game on Hard as I heard normal is too easy. Hell, I cursed so many times during shootouts as you get instant deaths way too often and really regret that I didn't start on normal. Still didn't want to change it mid game. That would be dishonour :lol.

Finished the game in 2 sessions. What an excellent game! From now on many other tpp games will feel archaic. Control and movement is smooth and responsive. And there was a lot more jumping and platforming then I expected - I like, I like!. Some breathtaking jumps - great stuff. Some locations with it's textures, lighting and shadow play are gobsmacking. Make stop and stare.

Did someone say that the game reminds him of ICO? I swear I read that somewhere. I must agree that there's a part of the game where you jump on the ruins in fool daylight surounded by sea and that gives really, really strong ICO 'relaxing' vibes.

But more then anything it's gamefied next generation Indiana Jones. After finishing Uncharted I got great urge to watchh Indy movies again. Seriously it's one of really few games where the gerne discription: Action Adventure is no lie.

Music holds up to the graphics, maybe even tops it as it's flawless. Rich, "moody" and cinematic.

Shitload of unlockables too. The making of cutscene videos are priceless.

Started to play on Crushed now. You can't use weapon select rewards in it. Very smart ND :D.

What I didn't like:

Quite bit of tearing. Thankfully never seems to occur during shootouts, rather when entering new locations.

Model glitching when you get shot dead during fist fight. Enemy freezes in the air and Drakes ragdoll is ridicilous.

AK is really freaking weak!

Perspective glitch when aiming revolver sometimes. It looks like you shooting of 45 degree angle.

Elenas boobs are size too small. Not a boob nazi, but she deserved to get a notch higher on ND's "boobmeter".

Still, what a hell of a ride!

Naughty Dog delivered.

Maybe before Uncharted 2, ND could gives as something like smaller 'sidestory' episodes for download on PSN.

I just want more of Uncharted :D.

Sorry for my english. Excitment does it.

dalin80

Banned
iam giving uncharted a bit of a break for a bit, il come back to it in a few months once ive forgotten what to do and might switch it to mirror world just for kicks.

should be fun (again)

Erdrick

Raist said:
Started playing AC yesterday, and oh boy, I think Uncharted spoiled me badly.

I started it a few days ago as well, after unlocking everything in Uncharted and man... there really is no comparison in terms of keeping one interested. AC is so... mundane after Uncharted.

I wonder if ND will put up any DLC for Uncharted on PSN sometime? I'd rather they work on a new sequel to it, really, but more UC in any form is good.

Hell, PSP game anyone? I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

Kittonwy

Banned
Erdrick said:
I started it a few days ago as well, after unlocking everything in Uncharted and man... there really is no comparison in terms of keeping one interested. AC is so... mundane after Uncharted.

I wonder if ND will put up any DLC for Uncharted on PSN sometime? I'd rather they work on a new sequel to it, really, but more UC in any form is good.

Hell, PSP game anyone? I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

I don't think they've ever mentioned anything about releasing DLC for Uncharted, I would mind though, but having the full team dedicated to Uncharted 2 would be the better idea so I agree with ya.

Kittonwy

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
I finally got the game after over 30 days of waiting for it to come from the US :lol.

Started the game on Hard as I heard normal is too easy. Hell, I cursed so many times during shootouts as you get instant deaths way too often and really regret that I didn't start on normal. Still didn't want to change it mid game. That would be dishonour :lol.

Finished the game in 2 sessions. What an excellent game! From now on many other tpp games will feel archaic. Control and movement is smooth and responsive. And there was a lot more jumping and platforming then I expected - I like, I like!. Some breathtaking jumps - great stuff. Some locations with it's textures, lighting and shadow play are gobsmacking. Make stop and stare.

Glad you finally got the game and enjoyed it, I think everybody with a PS3 should have a copy of Uncharted in their game library, what an amazing game.
gladtomeetya.gif

ghibli99

Figure I'll drop a note in here to say that this is the first PS3 game in my possession (just got my PS3 the other day and spent quite a while updating that, the PSP, F@H, and grabbing the old GTHD demo for shits and giggles.

I also powered up Uncharted really quick just to see what it looked like. I don't have a 1080p display yet (only 480p/720p/1080i), but I really like what I'm seeing (and hearing) so far. It seemed so generic when first announced, but just from the first few lines, there's something different here.

I'll be back throughout the week with more thoughts. Just coming off of SMG, I'm looking forward to this!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AgentOtaku said:
...i think the "Raiders of the lost Ark" comparision is actually one of the best i've heard in regards to Uncharted....on many levels
I keep telling people that when I talk about this game.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
AgentOtaku said:
...i think the "Raiders of the lost Ark" comparision is actually one of the best i've heard in regards to Uncharted....on many levels

Isn't I mean isn't it!!!! Hell how it all plays it out to the what a twist in the end Has Raiders of the Lost Ark Written all over it and I love it for that. Plus Eddy Raja is awesome! :D

Just put 4 hours into the game today.
Got to Chapter 11.
6 hours in total now.
50% done.

3rd best game of 2007 behind CoD4 and SMG.
Yes, better than Bioshock and Orange Box.

So so so good.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
I just got AC after beating Uncharted, and the tearing and other issues kill me. They're different types of games surely, but the technical issues in Assassin's Creed are too hindering after playing this gem. The thing is, I love half life 2, but I'm waiting for Valve to either release a patch or something before I get Orange Box (don't care for multiplayer) so I don't have it ruined for me the way every other game has been after playing Uncharted.

Everyone with a PS3 should avoid getting this game because it'll ruin your entire library for you :lol Seriously though, all developers making games for the PS3 who aren't Naughty Dog should be ashamed of themselves after playing Uncharted.

Nooreo

Well guys i sent back Unreal tournament 3 back to game fly and guess what game im getting next!

Uncharted!! WOOT!,Any way i cant wait to get my hands on it, i think its a game that isnt acknowledged enough just like SOTC.

Jeff-DSA

I'm losing steam here, and I could use a bit of a pep talk. I'm mid-way through chapter 14 and I'm starting to tire of the encounters. Each one feels like the same thing and I'm not a big fan of the cover system.

Will they back off the gunfights just a tad any time soon? I don't mind them once in a while, but it's getting to the point where around every corner is another open room full of guys.

The platforming is a lot of fun, I really would like some more of that. More puzzles would be nice too...

I figure that based on time played I'm roughly about 50%-60% through, is that a fair assessment?

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Jeff-DSA said:
I figure that based on time played I'm roughly about 50%-60% through, is that a fair assessment?

More gunfights for you everywhere you go, and you are about 75% done, hell 80% even.

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm losing steam here, and I could use a bit of a pep talk. I'm mid-way through chapter 14 and I'm starting to tire of the encounters. Each one feels like the same thing and I'm not a big fan of the cover system.

Will they back off the gunfights just a tad any time soon? I don't mind them once in a while, but it's getting to the point where around every corner is another open room full of guys.

The platforming is a lot of fun, I really would like some more of that. More puzzles would be nice too...

Keep going. You're close to a huge puzzle-ish exploratory bit. And... [snip]

Amazing game, im nearing end right now and I dont want it to end!

I do need some help though, or some advice...whatever.

Im on Chapter 20 right now (Showdown) and I keep getting my ass kicked over and over. Is there a trick im not getting, or do I just suck anus?

AKS

Jeff-DSA said:

Too many puzzles would have slowed the game down and wouldn't have been consistent with the pace of the Indiana Jones films and pulp adventures that inspired it. When has Indiana Jones ever spent more than a couple of minutes solving a puzzle? He miraculously is able to solve any puzzle within 2 or 3 minutes regardless of how difficult or impossible they are. :lol It just wouldn't fit the theme of the story or source material to make the game any way but the way ND did it. I do like puzzles, too, but I understand why they kept the action and pace up the way they did. ND did the right thing and has made the premiere example of a film-like game. Hopefully we'll get our puzzler fixes in sequels to masterpieces like ICO or Portal.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
MattPeters said:

Im on Chapter 20 right now (Showdown) and I keep getting my ass kicked over and over. Is there a trick im not getting, or do I just suck anus?

What showdown
The one where you fight Navarro where he has the one shot gun ? And if you do it is a hard event man so man up and do it like a champion.

AKS

Kittonwy said:
I don't think they've ever mentioned anything about releasing DLC for Uncharted, I would mind though, but having the full team dedicated to Uncharted 2 would be the better idea so I agree with ya.

There's already quite a bit of cool unlockable stuff on the disc. I'm glad ND just gave us stuff like mirror mode and skins without charging for it. Anything like new levels or something of that nature would take up too much storage space. I agree with you guys that I'd rather give them more time to make the sequel.

Jeff-DSA said:

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll just tell you, near the end of the game there's a whole level that's basically a big puzzle, with some surprising yet classically familiar platforming/obstacle elements you haven't seen anywhere yet as well.

...and then all hell really breaks loose.

AKS

MattPeters said:

I know what you mean. It's an awesome game. There will still be plenty of challenges ahead finding the treasures and unlocking some really cool features.

Grayman

MattPeters said:

The showdown is a bitch.

Top Bottom