• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Kazenone

Well I just finished this beast of a game. 9hrs 36m with 20 treasures and 420 medal points. I started on Hard.

Wow, Uncharted is fucking fantastic. So much effort has obviously been put into the making of this and it was an absolute joy to play through. I am definitely going to replay it after this post. The replay value is pretty good with all the medals and treasure to collect. Whilst the game is fairly medium in length, the extras to unlock add a lot more to the whole thing. I only got 20 treasure, and that was with me trying to find them - so next time I am going to have to pay a lot more attention.

The graphics were down-right amazing, and the music was top-notch. It added a lot of suspense, especially during the last few areas.

My only complaints were that
Drake's journal should have been accessible at any time; so the game didn't hand-walk you through the puzzles. My playtime would have been higher if they gave you no Hints or Nate practically telling you what to do every time you came to a puzzle. I would have enjoyed it more trying to figure it out for myself rather than having it explained to me. Another issue I had was that I didn't really like the 'Gollum' creatures that appeared; I grew to accept them when Nathan pointed out that they were the Spaniards, which left me thankful it wasn't going to pull any sci-fi crap on me like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy did (Not comparing the two other than the fact they have awesome story starts, and then fell apart). But it wasn't that bad story-wise. I really hated their design and the fact they came running at you 100mph.

My last nagging problem was that several times during the end textures would take an age to load - don't know whether that is a problem with my PS3 or with Uncharted - I just wanted to see the beautiful scenery straight away :D

But in the end, I loved Uncharted and I urge anyone with doubts to stfu and buy it.

DrXym

Kazenone said:
My last nagging problem was that several times during the end textures would take an age to load - don't know whether that is a problem with my PS3 or with Uncharted - I just wanted to see the beautiful scenery straight away :D

I noticed texture popping a few times, usually when a new level started but nothing major.

Playing it on crushing at the moment and I am not looking forward at all to the battles in the water area or in the conservatory place. They're hard enough as is on lower levels.

steve

Banned
Kazenone said:
Well I just finished this beast of a game. 9hrs 36m with 20 treasures and 420 medal points. I started on Hard.

Wow, Uncharted is fucking fantastic. So much effort has obviously been put into the making of this and it was an absolute joy to play through. I am definitely going to replay it after this post. The replay value is pretty good with all the medals and treasure to collect. Whilst the game is fairly medium in length, the extras to unlock add a lot more to the whole thing. I only got 20 treasure, and that was with me trying to find them - so next time I am going to have to pay a lot more attention.

The graphics were down-right amazing, and the music was top-notch. It added a lot of suspense, especially during the last few areas.

My only complaints were that
Drake's journal should have been accessible at any time; so the game didn't hand-walk you through the puzzles. My playtime would have been higher if they gave you no Hints or Nate practically telling you what to do every time you came to a puzzle. I would have enjoyed it more trying to figure it out for myself rather than having it explained to me. Another issue I had was that I didn't really like the 'Gollum' creatures that appeared; I grew to accept them when Nathan pointed out that they were the Spaniards, which left me thankful it wasn't going to pull any sci-fi crap on me like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy did (Not comparing the two other than the fact they have awesome story starts, and then fell apart). But it wasn't that bad story-wise. I really hated their design and the fact they came running at you 100mph.

But in the end, I loved Uncharted and I urge anyone with doubts to stfu and buy it.

You do know you can turn off Hints in the options... right?

avaya

Finished it yesterday. 11hrs 30mins on Normal.

Really quite an experience. Impeccable presentation. Quite a few moments where I did feel like I was playing Crash (running/driving forward scenes), but that's not a bad thing.

Will replay on Crushing later.

Steroyd

avaya said:
Finished it yesterday. 11hrs 30mins on Normal.

Really quite an experience. Impeccable presentation. Quite a few moments where I did feel like I was playing Crash (running/driving forward scenes), but that's not a bad thing.

Will replay on Crushing later.

How will you do that if you didn't beat it on hard?

Grayman

I thought crushing unlocked from more medals because I didn't notice it as avaiable when I started my second game but now part way through it I can start a new crushing game.

Brandon F said:
Up to Chapter 7, game is starting to click.

I really had to resign myself to the fact that this is primarily a combat game and NOT some Tomb-Raider inspired dungeon puzzle quest. I still have issues with fine-tuning the aiming(prob need to futz with sensitivity), but the scope of the environments and freedom of how you engage in the combat is quite wonderful. Especially now that more weapons are becoming available in the various arenas, which are also growing more expansive and inviting for interesting gunplay.

I've started to notice some impressive AI tricks too. Usually they just sit and jet their heads out for supposedly easy takedowns, but occasionally they press to flank or close in on my position. I also get surprised when Nathan yelps "Oh no!" when a grenade lands close to flush me out of hiding.

Still confused about the timing of the melee kills. I've managed to get all the Square-Triangle-square achievements, so I must be mashing them out in a fit of luck, but I don't yet have a comfortable grasp on exactly how it all connects and works beyond the initial punch.
I think the fine tuning the aiming was done on purpose to make drake an everyman instead of solid snake

For the melee stuff you have to buffer the commands a little bit early

Raist

Banned
Grayman said:
I thought crushing unlocked from more medals because I didn't notice it as avaiable when I started my second game but now part way through it I can start a new crushing game.

You don't need any medal points to unlock Crushing. Just to beat the game on hard

Forsete

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is this going to make me cringe? Every time I've seen SVT attempt to enter pop culture with reviews and coverage, I've cringed.

No, its not that bad. Very short review and you get to see the host play a Zelda game. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
deepbrown said:
Best Music should be Heavenly Sword by a long way...does anyone know how incredible Nitin Sawney is? meh.

Otherwise nice choices - love the "best atmosphere" category.:D

No offense to Nitin Sawhey but the Uncharted soundtrack is in a class by itself, not only is the soundtrack great, it's MEMORABLE.
Indifferent2.gif

deepbrown

Kittonwy said:
No offense to Nitin Sawhey but the Uncharted soundtrack is in a class by itself, not only is the soundtrack great, it's MEMORABLE.
Indifferent2.gif
uh...Heavenly Sword's is very memorable, and emotional. Sorry but it whips Uncharted's soundtrack badly. The ethnic and modern influences in one score is incredible, whereas although Uncharted's uses interesting sounds, it's typical Hollywood fair (which is a feat in itself...but still not that original.)

p1000780ia9.jpg

deepbrown said:
uh...Heavenly Sword's is very memorable, and emotional. Sorry but it whips Uncharted's soundtrack badly. The ethnic and modern influences in one score is incredible, whereas although Uncharted's uses interesting sounds, it's typical Hollywood fair (which is a feat in itself...but still not that original.)

p1000780ia9.jpg

Nice shot deep.
Your going to hate me though I bought Heavenly Sword when it came out but between Warhawk to ratchet to cod 4 to Uncharted I just stare at it every once in a while. I really need to play that game.

Erdrick

I have a question in regards to the last medal that I need to get. The Dyno-Might Expert medal that's worth 30 points. You need to kill 3 enemies with one explosion 5 times. Any good areas to attempt this in? I beat it for the 3rd time last night on Crushing and I just need this last one to have everything.

This game is one of the best I have ever played. I am enjoying it immensely. It's on par with say how much I loved RE4 last gen (And I guess this gen on the Wii) It's just such a well rounded game that comes off as one of the most polished experiences ever on a console.

Fantastic game. I want more.

Raist

Banned
Erdrick said:
I have a question in regards to the last medal that I need to get. The Dyno-Might Expert medal that's worth 30 points. You need to kill 3 enemies with one explosion 5 times. Any good areas to attempt this in? I beat it for the 3rd time last night on Crushing and I just need this last one to have everything.

The part where there are all the traps (that you avoid by pressing O). Easiest place to get it IMO, since there's a grenade launcher dude on the top of a wall, and once you clear him, there are some other guys coming between the trees after that. They're usually packed. Kill 'em, die, rinse and repeat :p

Erdrick

Raist said:
The part where there are all the traps (that you avoid by pressing O). Easiest place to get it IMO, since there's a grenade launcher dude on the top of a wall, and once you clear him, there are some other guys coming between the trees after that. They're usually packed. Kill 'em, die, rinse and repeat :p

Thank ye kindly. That was the last medal that I needed. I just unlocked the other bonuses via codes and now... I've beaten the game utterly. Very rare that I bother to do that, let alone finish games these days. Uncharted though... I beat it 3 times. (Normal, Hard then Crushing.) I seriously have not been able to get enough of this game. I love Indiana Jones movies and this is basically a new one to me. That's how well done and how high the production values are in my eyes.

Drake is a fantastic character, along with all the other ones too.
I wish Eddy would have lived
It's nothing so specific about him but a combination of how... normal he is. He says stuff that I think I would say in the situations as well. I'm so happy to see a main character that's not clad in armour or is a bald space marine. This is my favorite game for the PS3 and pretty much over anything else right now.

The music is also very memorable and I've had it in my head since I bought this on launch back in November. Is there anywhere where I can get the soundtrack? (I know it's on iTunes but I don't own an iPod, so I'd prefer a disc format if possible.)

I don't really know what possessed me to go nuts and just earn all the medal points, but it's a great idea and very good for increasing replay value.

Other than MGS4, Uncharted's sequel is the game I want most, period. As the first game I have ever really played from Naughty Dog (I tried a demo of the Jax and Crash games many years ago.) I am VERY impressed with them.

This is simply one of the most enjoyable and best video games that I have ever played.
It's certainly the best game on the PS3 and everyone who owns one should own this game. For all else who don't own a PS3? Buy one for this. It's that great an experience and it really FINALLY shows the potential of the PS3.

Ok, I'll stop now. /gushing

Dartastic

Wow. Just... Wow. For the first game I purchased with my PS3, I sure picked a hell of a good one. I just beat Uncharted on Normal (the credits are rolling as we speak) and wow. I wish I got to this before I actually voted on my top ten games, because this would have definitely been in the top four or so. The soundtrack, environments, gunplay, platforming, all are just absolutely stunning. The encounters are so well done as well, with so many different ways of going at them. And I LOVED the characters. This is characterization done right. Just wow. One question though; where do I see how long it took for me to beat the game? Is it something I can see?

This game SINGLE HANDEDLY made me glad I bought my PS3. It's a killer app.

Finished it tonight. Absolutely brilliant game, if there was any justice this would have been a springboard killer app for Sony this Holiday and shifted serious numbers of PS3s. It really bums me out that it didn't explode at retail the way it deserved to. Definitely the best game on the PS3 and runner-up for my best console game of 2007 after SMG.

steve

Banned
Dartastic said:
Wow. Just... Wow. For the first game I purchased with my PS3, I sure picked a hell of a good one. I just beat Uncharted on Normal (the credits are rolling as we speak) and wow. I wish I got to this before I actually voted on my top ten games, because this would have definitely been in the top four or so. The soundtrack, environments, gunplay, platforming, all are just absolutely stunning. The encounters are so well done as well, with so many different ways of going at them. And I LOVED the characters. This is characterization done right. Just wow. One question though; where do I see how long it took for me to beat the game? Is it something I can see?

Go to your saved game folder in the XMB, the Uncharted one will show you your game details.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Gary Whitta said:
Finished it tonight. Absolutely brilliant game, if there was any justice this would have been a springboard killer app for Sony this Holiday and shifted serious numbers of PS3s. It really bums me out that it didn't explode at retail the way it deserved to. Definitely the best game on the PS3 and runner-up for my best console game of 2007 after SMG.

Hopefully man it will have very long legs as more people find out about this game from word of mouth since the freaking marketing department failed. Hopefully the Sony marketing has brains and they bust out a new ad's for this game on T.V especially when Indy 4 is going to come out. That way it will inspire people to check the game out. :D

Dartastic

Elbrain said:
Hopefully man it will have very long legs as more people find out about this game from word of mouth since the freaking marketing department failed. Hopefully the Sony marketing has brains and they bust out a new ad's for this game on T.V especially when Indy 4 is going to come out. That way it will inspire people to check the game out. :D

Yeah. Sony really should have marketed the HELL out of this game. It's really fantastic. What the hell were they thinking? Oh, btw, my game time was 7 hours and 11 minutes with 11 treasures. I rarely do this, but I might go back to do some more exploring... :D

Grayman

Dartastic said:
Yeah. Sony really should have marketed the HELL out of this game. It's really fantastic. What the hell were they thinking? Oh, btw, my game time was 7 hours and 11 minutes with 11 treasures. I rarely do this, but I might go back to do some more exploring... :D
it's advertised lots on Comedy in Canada, the ads just aren't that great. Heavenly sword had the only good "backyard" ad and the standalone ad wasn't great either. I think I wrote a better ad script in the bomba thread a few weeks ago without even having played the game.

Raist

Banned
Erdrick said:
I wish Eddy would have lived
It's nothing so specific about him but a combination of how... normal he is.

Well, are we really sure he's dead ? We only saw him fall with a spaniard, and that's it. I'm sure he'll make a come back :p

andycapps

Dartastic said:

That's great that you enjoyed the game so much, but I have a feeling it's going to be a downer for you (and me) to play other games in the future after the level of polish and just what a fantastic game Uncharted is. :lol Definitely worth buying Resistance, Motorstorm is at least a rental for the fantastic gameplay and graphics (horrible loading times though), and there are quite a few other games worth picking up.

I'm still working on finishing this, slowly but surely.
At the part where I just held off the mutants/zombies and climbed up the rope and am walking through the u-boat right now when I saved.

deepbrown

BruceLeeRoy said:
Nice shot deep.
Your going to hate me though I bought Heavenly Sword when it came out but between Warhawk to ratchet to cod 4 to Uncharted I just stare at it every once in a while. I really need to play that game.

Well maybe this will inform you of the quality of Heavenly Sword:

Uncharted 9.4/10
Heavenly Sword 8.6/10
Assassin's Creed 7.8/10

Hope that helps :)

Raist

Banned
Dartastic said:
One question though; where do I see how long it took for me to beat the game? Is it something I can see?

Check your save once you've beaten the game (shows "100%"). It's a bit underestimated tho, because it doesn't count the time you've spent playing when you die.

deepbrown said:
Well maybe this will inform you of the quality of Heavenly Sword:

Uncharted 9.4/10
Heavenly Sword 8.6/10
Assassin's Creed 7.8/10

Hope that helps :)

Oooh nice Ill pop it in when I get home.

Gary Whitta said:

Been waiting for your opinion for a while glad you liked it man.
The only problem I had is I tried to play AC after and I am almost positive had I played AC first then Uncharted I would have enjoyed AC much more.

dkeane

Beat this yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Amazing graphics and solid gameplay. I'd have liked it to be a bit longer and have some more varying gameplay situations, maybe cut down on the shooting aspect.

I also enjoyed the concept art and videos included within the game.

Can't wait for number 2!

Mrbob

I finished the game today and had a good time with it. I was suprised at the diverse areas the game puts you in. The graphics are good. Really, really good. The lush jungle enviroment is jaw dropping. I enjoyed the gunplay as well. It was a bit annoying how aggressive those damn enemy pirates were at times, but it kept you on your toes. The achievement "rewards' knock off system is done very well too. Will help encourage replayability when I buy it down the road (rented it for now). The Far Cry Tri Gen esque twist near the end was annoying, but at least this segment isn't too overplayed.

Great game overall.

Mrbob

I would also like to say the cutscenes were downright amazing. The way the characters acted and animated was a step up from anything I've seen. Also, the story was very well told.

Here is hoping Uncharted 2 gets some online co op. It almost seems like it was planned but never made the final cut after finishing uncharted. Online co op would definitely push Uncharted 2 towards the upper echelon of game sequels to look forward too.

nib95

Banned
Mrbob said:
I would also like to say the cutscenes were downright amazing. The way the characters acted and animated was a step up from anything I've seen. Also, the story was very well told.

Here is hoping Uncharted 2 gets some online co op. It almost seems like it was planned but never made the final cut after finishing uncharted. Online co op would definitely push Uncharted 2 towards the upper echelon of game sequels to look forward too.

Seriously....this game was made for co-op. And multiplayer for that matter. It would have been utterly awesome and increased sales two fold.

Dave1988

Raist said:
Well, are we really sure he's dead ? We only saw him fall with a spaniard, and that's it. I'm sure he'll make a come back :p

You missed the part where he's bitten in the neck by the Spaniard. Even if he did survive the fall he'd probably bleed to death soon after.

Troidal

I finished this a few days ago, the last part with the monsters and the lame QTE sequence in the end threw me off but overall the game was very good.

This game drew strong parallels with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The hero/heroine and their chemistry, the lush environments, the not-so-perfect-but-ok combat system, a very movie-like presentation and story, etc.

This is the first PS3 game I thought was worth having. I’ve started replaying it on Hard and it’s like watching your favorite movie all over again. Awesome game indeed and I cannot wait for Uncharted 2.

Truespeed

deepbrown said:

Your screen shots of images on your TV are amazing and the best I've ever seen. I mean it's almost like your scraping the frame buffer in some of those shots. How do you do it and what equipment do you use?

Raist

Banned
Dave1988 said:
You missed the part where he's bitten in the neck by the Spaniard. Even if he did survive the fall he'd probably bleed to death soon after.

I didn't. Never said he would come back as a friendly, human guy :p

eve241

It's a 267 page thread so bare with me.I'm going to post something I wrote in the LoK thread and I hope someone can give me a satisfying answer

"
dslgunstar said:
Amy Hennig is a goddess, and Uncharted is just another masterpiece under her belt.

Apart from Team Ico's next game the only reason for me to get a PS3 right now is Hennig being behind Uncharted (and the the fact Simon Templeman voices a character).

Just to clarify, do you consider Uncharted story a masterpiece? Is it LoK-caliber? I would get it this instance if I knew the story was great. It's not that I think Hennig has lost her touch it's just that Uncharted always striked me as a more popcorn-movie kind of story and something of a marketing strategy..."

Raist

Banned
Endow said:
It's a 267 page thread so bare with me.I'm going to post something I wrote in the LoK thread and I hope someone can give me a satisfying answer

"

Apart from Team Ico's next game the only reason for me to get a PS3 right now is Hennig being behind Uncharted (and the the fact Simon Templeman voices a character).

Just to clarify, do you consider Uncharted story a masterpiece? Is it LoK-caliber? I would get it this instance if I knew the story was great. It's not that I think Hennig has lost her touch it's just that Uncharted always striked me as a more popcorn-movie kind of story and something of a marketing strategy..."

Well, the story is... let's say it could pretty much fit an Indy movie. Not really just a pop corn movie. It's really well done, and you keep wanting to know what's up next.
The characters are awesome, the cutscenes very well directed, the VA is top notch.
So yeah, overall, it has a really great story. But it's really different from LoK, for sure.

Top Bottom