• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Series Surpasses 13 Million Units

Xater

this is cool, but I hope ND works on new IP for PS4, and then come back to U series. I don't want them to get stuck in one and the same franchise.
On top of that, there is a risk that people get tired of Uncharted.

I hope they move on to something else. I think it's great that ND pretty much has a new great franchise every generation.

Globox_82

Banned
Nothing as far as I can tell.

Actually, their current job openings are quite interesting.

Source: http://www.naughtydog.com/work/

Given that they already have two art directors, the third is likely for a new full game team (of which they currently only have one, since the other is more of a general Sony support team that helps make the PlayStation EDGE libraries.).

Plus, this is a lot of job openings in general for a team that just shipped a game.

Yup. Well they are most likely expanding. Not so long ago they moved into a bigger studio.
Plus SSM is expanding in two teams (confirmed) one to work on a project that is a few years from now (PS4?) and one for much sooner. That's from that SSM guy that was on one of Bonus round episodes earlier in the year. Go hear him say it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank goodness they at least have had backing in advertising and bundling. A studio like ND deserves success.

Takao

Banned
If the rumors are true with Ueda leaving, SCEJ should consider getting a new dev house.

Gravity Daze looks promising, but they need more than that.

Even if Ueda hasn't left SCEJ, they should still expand. The major reason why SCEA, and SCEE have left SCEJ in the dust in terms of console support is simply due to the size of the workforce. I'd wager Santa Monica, or even Naughty Dog has as many employees as Japan Studio does in its entirety.

Takao's recommended plan of action for SCEJ: revoke Crapcon's developer's license, buy Medarot franchise from Rocket Company, buy Claphanz (Hot Shots series), buy an independent RPG maker (Falcom, NIS, Matrix, Media.Vision, etc.), re-organize Celius as studio that actually does things (it's doing Ridge Racer Vita so something is happening), if Ueda is no longer with SCEJ disband Team Ico after the completion of TLG, sign Acquire to exclusivity/second party agreement (I'd say SCEJ should've bought them, but someone else beat them to the punch).

CozMick

Banned
Hey Naughty Dog ignore the lunatics in this thread, the Uncharted series is the single greatest new franchise this generation, stick to this and you're onto another winner next gen.

Unless of course you will return to the Jak and Daxter series ;)

Ricky_R

Hey Naughty Dog ignore the lunatics in this thread, the Uncharted series is the single greatest new franchise this generation, stick to this and you're onto another winner next gen.

Unless of course you will return to the Jak and Daxter series ;)

Yeah. I hope they keep making more Uncharted games and I also hope they feel passionate about it.

It would be cool if they could make a new IP next gen and work with both, but that will probably not happen.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
best new franchise this gen?

Best new franchise this gen.

Thank you naughty dog, for giving me my favorite game this year, as well as two years back. Keep up the good work.

matmanx1

Good for them and well deserved. Uncharted 3 has the best actual gameply in the series to the point where I'm going to be sorely disappointed if Golden Abyss doesn't incorporate the new melee moves.

FireCloud

in a better wold we will have Folklore 4:Modern Ghostfare by now.

Anyway GoW and Uncharted are Both SCEA, and SCEJ got GT that sells like mad, now SCEE don't have any seller IP at all at the moment, last gen they got Singstar but it don't sell anymore now even in europe, SCEE need to drop their old series and make new IPs.

I like you.

So does that make it the highest selling westen franchise for Sony? Or is it still Singstar?

I would have thought that would be the Gran Turismo series.

SykoTech

Great sales, but I too hope that Naughty Dog doesn't get stuck making nothing but Uncharted forever. I'd like to see at least one non-Uncharted game from them next gen. Either a new IP or a return to Jak & Daxter would be fine by me.

Well deserved. Easily my favorite new IP of this generation and I'd have no qualms whatsoever with a new Uncharted trilogy for next gen. That said, there are a lot of areas I would like to see improved and polished going forward.

If this series was on Xbox 360 it would probably do Halo-like numbers. <--No, I'm not trolling. It's just a simple fact that the 360's install base is much bigger the the US, and the US market is necessary for doing massive numbers. Hopefully Sony can regain a decent share of the US market next-gen as I would love to see some of their 1st parties thrive.

Kinyou

IG: Is a sequel being planned?

AQ: We can't talk about any future title releases. We will continue to make games that our consumers love experiencing.
Uncharted Kart racer confirmed

And very well deserved sales they are. I'll not be playing Drake's Deception until Christmas, but I loved Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves.

Derrick01

Banned
Please a new IP next Gen.

Uncharted formula is as stale as week old bread at this point.

They need to change up the gameplay a little bit but I hope they stay with this. There's no game out there that is more of an action movie than this. I'm addicted to pretty much everything except the gameplay in these games and I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters.

gdt

Very well deserved. Best new thing this gen. Some of my favorite games ever.

Bring on UC4! In 3 years! I want to have my eyeballs melted.

FireCloud

Look up where Polyphony Digital is located. ;)

Oh, I thought Decarb meant "sales" in the west instead of a western developer....my bad.

Edit: And I don't have to look up where Polyphony Digital is located, I already know ....
it's right here, in my heart!

Congratulations, Naughty Dog, Inc, on shifting a large amount of units of your commercial product. Please continue to produce further consumer products for my home use.

fanboi

Banned
best new franchise this gen?

Best new franchise this gen.

Thank you naughty dog, for giving me my favorite game this year, as well as two years back. Keep up the good work.

Regarding sales?

No, that would be Gears of War.

Regarding how good the game is?

To some yes, to some no.

EDIT: Don't count Wii Sport and likes! :>
haters gonna hate

Regarding sales?

No, that would be Gears of War.

Regarding how good the game is?

To some yes, to some no.

EDIT: Don't count Wii Sport and likes! :>
haters gonna hate

Has Gears even sold as much as Assassin's Creed? Each one must be at like 8 mil each, and there's tons of them

I think by the end of 2012 the franchise will have hit 20m with Golden Abyss and more U3 shipments. I would love to see a triple pack for PS3 next year with all GOTY editions and DLC included on disc for £50.

Next holiday season, PS3 + Uncharted triple pack $199/£149. Would sell literally millions.

Edit: Biggest new IP of the generation in sales terms (excluding the Wii *** lineup) has got to be Assassins Creed.

GamerSciz

The Uncharted series is one of the few series that I look forward to seeing more of. It reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid series in which you can feel emotionally attached to all the main characters. I mean in both games I have laughed, been surprised, and hell even cried. But that's just gaming.

The Uncharted series is one of the few series that I look forward to seeing more of. It reminds me of the Metal Gear Solid series in which you can feel emotionally attached to all the main characters. I mean in both games I have laughed, been surprised, and hell even cried. But that's just gaming.

When replaying UC3, I got manly tears
when Sully "died", even though I'd seen it happen before and I knew it wasn't even real

Assassin's Creed games are released on 3 platforms.

I know

jcm

Yup. Well they are most likely expanding. Not so long ago they moved into a bigger studio.
Plus SSM is expanding in two teams (confirmed) one to work on a project that is a few years from now (PS4?) and one for much sooner. That's from that SSM guy that was on one of Bonus round episodes earlier in the year. Go hear him say it.

ND needs to expand just to keep releasing a game every other year. It sounds like U3 nearly killed them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well deserved. Best franchise this gen, new or otherwise. Some of the most purely fun games I've ever played. The pulp sense of adventure is something that's really missing in games now and it works so well in Uncharted. The only games where I literally smile through the whole thing.

Top Bottom