• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy |OT| Ladies Trip

LiK

As someone who thought the gameplay of UC4 was getting a little stale but was emotionally moved by the epilogue and some parts of the story (that weren't disjointed), does this add anything meaningful to the overall story of Uncharted? And is the gameplay more refined where it's not 90% climbing and 10%
mass murdering
killing aimbots?

Yes, imo. But it's a relatively self-contained story.

TsuWave

I am enjoying this more than UC4 so far.

I am a bit disappointed that Chloe and Nadine's careers/motivations
apparently both stem from their dads though... we're playing two kick-ass ladies and both are into their fields because of daddy? Bah. Unless one of them is lying/going to subvert this somehow...

if you played UC4 you would've known about Nadine

Tyaren

Hmm. Chloe's facial expressions seem a bit more exaggerated than everyone else's. Thought it was just gifs catching it in a awkward looking frame but it kind of sticks out haha

What are you talking about? Chloe's facial expressions are perfectly subtle and restrained. D:

By ronaldthump:
4JqZoNq.jpg

YwA50Vg.jpg

g0H6jGz.jpg

More in the screenshot thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421994

epmode

Yo can someone just tell me if it is possible to stealth this whole game

That will change the difficulty I play on

I'm still in Chapter 4. I've noticed two or three points where you're forced to shoot or run away from hostiles. So it's not possible to stealth through the entire game but most of the encounters can be finished silently.

BTW, I've found that it's a lot more fun if you stop reloading checkpoints as soon as you're discovered. I had forgotten that the AI actually loses track of you if you hide after combat starts.

zsynqx

Will post more thoughts later, but for now I'll just say that I loved it. Design wise I feel it's easily the strongest Uncharted, but overall I'd put it slightly below 4

Another game where the audio is super soft.

I'm usually right there with you when it comes to audio criticism, but I'm not feeling that with this one? I was playing with headphones (+ UC4 preset) yesterday and the dynamic range was so strong that the whiplash from quiet moments to gunshots/explosions/set pieces damn near made me deaf.

The jeep sounds are definitely too soft though, which is weird considering how detailed every aspect of the jeep is.

leng jai

I'm usually right there with you when it comes to audio criticism, but I'm not feeling that with this one? I was playing with headphones (+ UC4 preset) yesterday and the dynamic range was so strong that the whiplash from quiet moments to gunshots/explosions/set pieces damn near made me deaf.

The jeep sounds are definitely too soft though, which is weird considering how detailed every aspect of the jeep is.

The jeep was soft in UC4 as well so that's nothing new. The first scene in the market seemed super soft, but playing a bit more and it's back to normal I think. The first explosion and fly by were super loud.

void666

Banned
The game is beautiful as expected. And i 've loved Chloe since UC2. Her looks, her voice, her attitude. She is so much better than that new Lara Croft. It's hard not to compare the two. And their origin story
is quite similar, no?

Now things i didn't like:

The open world "lite". I think it's a lazy way to bloat play time. Place objectives all over the map and force the player to drive back and forth. It's the ubisoft take on open world and i hate it. "But it's oh so beautiful!!"

The puzzles are nice. But reused too many times with just slight variations.

Also, combat is too Far Cry-ish. Combat in UC2 was more focused. Enemy encounters were more interesting with enemy composition and map design. And stealth in UC2 was a small component, optional in some combat scenarios. But just like climbing, stealth use was overblown in UC4 and LL.
When people think Uncharted they don't think climbing and stealth gameplay. This is no OG Tomb Raider or Metal Gear. The AI is not suited for stealth. They are blind and deaf.
Yeah, stealth is optional. I don't have to hide in tall grass and tag every enemy. But this approach to combat design taints the whole thing.

So far it's UC4 again but with better pacing. At least i don't have to play as Chloe in the kindergarten slowly walking while collecting toys. Thanks ND!

Chloe and Nadine are good protagonists and i'm enjoying watching their relationship develop.
Overall i'm having fun with the game but with a few gripes.

Backlogger

I'm getting some weird graphical effects on this game that are pretty distracting

It's almost like when there is a lot of motion on the screen, especially during cut scenes you can kind of see these faint grid lines across faces and other textures.

I've made sure my TV is in game mode but I'm not sure what else to check

Any ideas? I don't think I had this issue in Uncharted 4

I have a Sony XBR-55X810C

psychotron

Game is beautiful so far and I'm actually enjoying the dynamic between the leads much more than Drake and Sam.

The only thing that's strange to me is that the motion was hurting my eyes in the beginning. I did just go from a Panasonic plasma to a new Sony 900E LED, but it made me almost get a headache. I adjusted the motion blur a bit, which helped, but it wasn't until the second area that things started seeming normal to me again. I don't remember having an issue with motion in U4, so it caught me off guard.

I'm getting some weird graphical effects on this game that are pretty distracting

It's almost like when there is a lot of motion on the screen, especially during cut scenes you can kind of see these faint grid lines across faces and other textures.

Any ideas? I don't think I had this issue in Uncharted 4

Not sure what the issue is, but it did happen to me once during a cinematic scene. I restarted the cinematic scene and it cleared it up.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just finished the game. The last few chapters were batshit insane. Incredible pacing and graphics. It's the perfect length too. Took me around 6 to 7 hours to complete. Thank you Naughty Dog!

dralla

I'm a few hours in, Chapter 4 I believe, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The open world/hub area is a pretty significant change. On one hand you feel more like you're exploring but the trade off is the tight pacing of UC1-3. I think after four games it's a good trade off to make in order to change things up. The combat encounters have been great, especially with the addition of the silenced pistol. My only complaints so far are 1. Showing the locations of all the "hidden" trinkets on the map. It takes away from the feeling of exploring an area if I already know where everything is. I'm purposely not looking at the map to avoid this. 2. Lack of environmental diversity. This could still change since I'm only in chapter 4, but it's all very same-y so far.

CHC

Now things i didn't like:

The open world "lite". I think it's a lazy way to bloat play time. Place objectives all over the map and force the player to drive back and forth. It's the ubisoft take on open world and i hate it. "But it's oh so beautiful!!"

I greatly enjoyed Lost Legacy but yeah, I can get behind this. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they experimented with opening things up a bit, but it's just not something I really want more of from Naughty Dog. They're so good at doing their core thing that driving around looking for collectibles (even if the experience looks and controls beautifully) just feels like filler by comparison.

I actually preferred UC4's Madagascar just because it offered no gameplay benefit for exploring, aside from a couple treasures. It was more just exploring for the sake of it, if you wanted to, and I thought that was actually kind of a bold move. Collectible side quests just seem kind of.... obvious for ND.

zsynqx

Just finished the game. The last few chapters were batshit insane. Incredible pacing and graphics. It's the perfect length too. Took me around 6 to 7 hours to complete. Thank you Naughty Dog!
Game definitely gets better as it goes along. Not that I disliked the open world stuff, actually thought it was handled pretty well and didn't overstay it's welcome, but those last few chapters are just really strong.

MCD250

I feel like this one has the most cool stuff to climb on in the whole series. I especially enjoyed climbing
the two elephant statues outside the decoy city.

CHC

So something I noticed - might be a coincidence, might be attention detail.

Nadine's screams when you die change over the course of the game. In the early chapters she seems to shout "Fraser" and then later it changes to "Chloe."

Not sure if its intentional but it was kind of cool.

I feel like this one has the most cool stuff to climb on in the whole series. I especially enjoyed climbing
the two elephant statues outside the decoy city.

yeah that was great. The climbing, jumping swinging and the lovely vista in which you're doing it all in. Also loved the later one
where you have to get the giant statue to pour water

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I hated Uncharted 4 (At times) but I am loving this so far. One of my friends was bored by Chapter 2 but i took a completely different route than they did in the PSX demo last year and had some nice stealth kills in buildings and alleys that reminded me tlou. Chapter 2 is essentially the first chapter in the game and has some decent melee encounters, chase sequences and stealth moments. Compare that to uncharted where you spend most of the time climbing in chapter 2 with some really long melee sections and a meh chase sequence.

The chase sequence in Chapter 2 is so much better because of the amazing visuals, the setting, the rain and and lightning. this game basically a better more condensed version of uncharted 4.

LOVED the first big combat encounter in Chapter 3. huge area and lots of guns and enemies to tackle. i ran around running people over in the jeep, then stole a sniper and quickscoped and no scoped fools. would love to replay this on hard and crushing.

One major gripe i have is how they have made a lot of effort making Chloe look dirty, sweaty and dare i say unattractive. i understand the thinking behind it, they dont want to sexualize her after sexualizing her in U2 but they had no problem making Drake look like a super model in U4. One of the artists even commented that they wanted him to look attractive because hes the hero. So while i appreciate the fact that Chloe's hair reacts realistically to sweat, i dont know why they had to start now with a woman. Drake gets banged up in U4 but still has great hair in cutscenes. i dont know, chloe is supposed to be super hot and i see this as them just hiding her hotness after doing a drastic remodeling of her character.

the rest of the graphics are just as impressive as the sweaty hair. the rain and lightning in that level was incredible. the hdr in the first chapter blew me away. chapter 3 somehow looks better than Madacasgar in U4 which released just a year ago. Naughty Dogs probably saw Horizon and said fuck it we need to top them. i am so happy playing this game it takes me back to the U2 days where i didnt want the game to end because it was so exciting.

The open world chapter isn't bad for what it is (so far), and the excellent shooting/climbing/puzzling mechanics carry it, but I don't really care for this type of level design in my Uncharted. Looking forward to the rest of the game if everyone's impressions are accurate. Need me some action and setpieces!

netBuff

Pretty sure those are checkerboard artifacts. Perfectly normal.

ymgve

I liked the game, but is it just me, or does the game feel kind of "rehashed"? Every level in the game has been done before in other Uncharted games. I know it's DLC that grew into a full game, but still would have wanted a few area types that hadn't been done in Uncharted before.

I hated Uncharted 4 (At times) but I am loving this so far. One of my friends was bored by Chapter 2 but i took a completely different route than they did in the PSX demo last year and had some nice stealth kills in buildings and alleys that reminded me tlou. Chapter 2 is essentially the first chapter in the game and has some decent melee encounters, chase sequences and stealth moments. Compare that to uncharted where you spend most of the time climbing in chapter 2 with some really long melee sections and a meh chase sequence.

The chase sequence in Chapter 2 is so much better because of the amazing visuals, the setting, the rain and and lightning. this game basically a better more condensed version of uncharted 4.

LOVED the first big combat encounter in Chapter 3. huge area and lots of guns and enemies to tackle. i ran around running people over in the jeep, then stole a sniper and quickscoped and no scoped fools. would love to replay this on hard and crushing.

One major gripe i have is how they have made a lot of effort making Chloe look dirty, sweaty and dare i say unattractive. i understand the thinking behind it, they dont want to sexualize her after sexualizing her in U2 but they had no problem making Drake look like a super model in U4. One of the artists even commented that they wanted him to look attractive because hes the hero. So while i appreciate the fact that Chloe's hair reacts realistically to sweat, i dont know why they had to start now with a woman. Drake gets banged up in U4 but still has great hair in cutscenes. i dont know, chloe is supposed to be super hot and i see this as them just hiding her hotness after doing a drastic remodeling of her character.

the rest of the graphics are just as impressive as the sweaty hair. the rain and lightning in that level was incredible. the hdr in the first chapter blew me away. chapter 3 somehow looks better than Madacasgar in U4 which released just a year ago. Naughty Dogs probably saw Horizon and said fuck it we need to top them. i am so happy playing this game it takes me back to the U2 days where i didnt want the game to end because it was so exciting.

dunno. drake had short hair so it ain't going to clump. I didnt think he was too "superheroey". The extra attention to chloe is good and I appreciated her looks. She gets
way banged up later in the game and she has cuts everywhere - after passing out from that failed jump
I loved that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe it's because I haven't replayed U4 on my Pro but U:TLL looks better, Chloe's Hair and the rest of the cast is the best I've ever seen, make Lara's hair look dated in comparison.
but same with U4, I don't understand why Nadine is here and why Chloe hasn't gone for her yet after the events of U4, she's just a bad character and really unlikeable, perhaps my opinion will change later in the game but I rather had a new character or....Ya'know there's is a list of good characters from Uncharted which would be better and they went for the worse.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't know if this is a glitch, but I just got 'Uncharted: The Lost Legacy' for FREE on the Playstation Store at the following link. It should be £29.99. It says this, 'If you own the Uncharted 4 Triple Pack Expansion, Uncharted 4 Digital Deluxe Edition or the Explorer’s Pack you’re entitled to download Uncharted: The Lost legacy at no extra cost.' but I have none of those. I just bought the regular edition, physical copy from Amazon when it released.

What gives?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...gacy/cid=EP9000-CUSA07875_00-UNCHD4LOSTLEGACY

A friend of mine is in the same situation.. Doesn't remember buying it but has it. Weird.

You guys sure you didn't buy the season pass when it was cheap?

i'm in the process of moving so i don't have access to my 4k hdr tv right now... but i do have a ps4 pro. any benefits for me playing on a 1080 monitor in the meantime?

N7.Angel

Yeahhhh, UCs implementation is really good. I'd argue UC4 and HZD are best looking HDR picks on PS4. Might be worth the wait... Game is short as is.

Uncharted looks way more colorful than Horizon, that's probably why I think, as gorgeous as Horizon is than Lost Legacy is superior visually.

RodzTF

Just finished chapter
. Can't put this game down it's so engrossing.

Also, best sweat-soaked hair graphics of 2017.

Why do you need to spoiler tag the chapter number? You reveal no info relating to the specific chapter, and no one would have a clue what you were talking about if they didn't click the spoiler

Top Bottom