• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Spoilers Thread

Grisby

I haven't actually been the biggest fan of the last three Uncharted games ending with a fistfights against the villain. UC2's was a bitch on higher difficulties but I think it was more memorable.

However, this fistfight was my favorite of the three since Chloe and Nadine got to kick the shit of him and it's always fun when it's a threesome.

I haven't finished this game yet, but I just got to the part where Chloe and Nadine are talking about Chloe's "professional relationship" with Nathan. The entire discussion was hilarious, and I love how Naughty Dog was poking fun at these characters and at themselves, really.

Chris R

I haven't finished this game yet, but I just got to the part where Chloe and Nadine are talking about Chloe's "professional relationship" with Nathan. The entire diversion was hilarious, and I love how Naughty Dog was poking fun at these characters and at themselves, really.

Yep, after two of those crates on wheels they were both like "No more of those thank you very much" lol

Just because they went legit doesn't mean they can't be at least partial involved on the side and in secret, especially with stuff like permits, visas, passports and ids, access to areas, smuggling them into places, etc.

I don't see Nate and Elena not helping a bit if Chloe. Cutter, Sam, or Sully asked.

You can't write Nate or Elena into even a minor role in the treasure-hunting story because I don't think you can convincingly write Chloe, Sam, or Sully to go out of their way to ask them to help them out; I feel all three of those characters would be too respectful of the fact that those two just want to move on. And if it's so minor that they're ultimately barely involved at all, then it'd just be a cameo, which is not what I was really talking about.

I haven't actually been the biggest fan of the last three Uncharted games ending with a fistfights against the villain. UC2's was a bitch on higher difficulties but I think it was more memorable.

However, this fistfight was my favorite of the three since Chloe and Nadine got to kick the shit of him and it's always fun when it's a threesome.

2's final boss fight wasn't fantastic, but it didn't feel like it was lazy like 3, 4, and LL. At least in 2's you actually got to run around and shoot (you know, doing things the game is actually about) and not just press buttons awkwardly.

Not

Banned
they are so good together. And Troy's performance was great, maybe even better than in the lighter moments in U4

Im so down for more adventures with this crew

I really liked Sam in this too. Much more than in UC4.

Man, this game. The optional sidequest in chapter 4 for an actual worthwhile reward is so cool.

You can't write Nate or Elena into even a minor role in the treasure-hunting story because I don't think you can convincingly write Chloe, Sam, or Sully to go out of their way to ask them to help them out; I feel all three of those characters would be too respectful of the fact that those two just want to move on. And if it's so minor that they're ultimately barely involved at all, then it'd just be a cameo, which is not what I was really talking about.
Given that Elena was introduced in 3 while she was on official correspondents work and getting Drake and Sully permits on the sly so they could get into Yemen, I don't see why they wouldn't be open to doing the same for Chloe and especially Sully or Sam

Like they're globe-trotting explorers now, they're the perfect cover for getting into places legally

Just finished it and I loved it. Watching the credits made me realize that I'd love an Uncharted Go or a smaller game where the character's designs were like those in the beginning credits.

Adamastor

I honestly thought the way Uncharted 4 had ended was the perfect way to end the series, but now I want more. Chloe and Nadine are great protagonists. And I can see see Cutter coming into the scene with Sam.

Yeah... I want more.

lt519

Perfectly paced game minus the "in-joke" find a crate section before the railyard. Was funny but pushing that cart back and forth was mehhhhhh.

Had a lot of fun, Sam added some great relief too.

Basically Uncharted Greatest Hits which was awesome for a weekend playthrough.

Bandit1

Finished it tonight, prefer 4 overall, but the train at the end here is definitely the best setpiece in the series I think. Really amazing how they bring everything together in the train sequence. Chasing it down in the 4x4, getting on, using the rope at times, shootouts, jumping off the train and back on a 4x4, the turret, it was all just a blast to play.

Really loved Chloe throughout the game, and how they went into her heritage and her father. I wasn't really sold on Nadine though, especially after Sam showed up. Just not really buying that her and Sam could reconcile after Sam and Nate practically wiped out Shoreline and killed most of her employees. Would have traded Nadine and Sam to have Cutter in this game.

Awesome game though!

Teggy

The point where I finally connected with Nadine was when she revealed she liked monkeys. It was like her entire tough exterior just broke off for a moment.

Wait, does that whole conversation happen in the optional area? I can't remember.

lt519

Hm what optional side quest is this? Not sure if I missed it...

I think just collecting all the Tokens and getting the Ruby bracelet.

The trophy pop up for that was hilarious as well, pop GAF would really appreciate that. After killing someone I got a funny named one as well which I think is in reference to people calling Nate a homicidal maniac. Edit: nope just last bullet in clip

Nvm read the wrong trophy list

The point where I finally connected with Nadine was when she revealed she liked monkeys. It was like her entire tough exterior just broke off for a moment.

Wait, does that whole conversation happen in the optional area? I can't remember.

Yes it's the area where the tokens are placed.

Best bit of the game for me was them making fun of finding crates to proceed.

Those puzzles in UC4 had me rolling my eyes every time.

Only twice at the start here with Chloe and Nadine saying that hopefully that'll be the end of that.

And best one was of Sam finding a crate and Chloe saying "Ofcourse you did!" XD

lt519

And best one was of Sam finding a crate and Chloe saying "Ofcourse you did!" XD

I did laugh when they dropped the pole the one time. I appreciated the humor, but they seriously didn't need to make us push that cart back and forth, I know it's nit picking but it triggered me for some reason.

Tevious

Just finished. Pretty good, the game was beautiful and I liked the return of the 4x4 free roam section and the train section. Kind of a shame Charlie Cutter couldn't be in it to give his character some closure. That pop song in the end credits ruined the moment for me, though. That was nearly as bad as Game of Throne's Season 3 Episode 7 with The Bear and the Maiden Fair. And I agree the boss fights have been uninspired ever since Uncharted 3; all have been fist fights.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That pop song in the end credits ruined the moment for me, though. That was nearly as bad as Game of Throne's Season 3 Episode 7 with The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

I had no problems with it because Uncharted is a lighthearted adventure at its core and not serious drama, so I didn't feel like it ruined anything. It's a first for the series though, but imo it fit.

Just finished. Pretty good, the game was beautiful and I liked the return of the 4x4 free roam section and the train section. Kind of a shame Charlie Cutter couldn't be in it to give his character some closure. That pop song in the end credits ruined the moment for me, though. That was nearly as bad as Game of Throne's Season 3 Episode 7 with The Bear and the Maiden Fair. And I agree the boss fights have been uninspired ever since Uncharted 3; all have been fist fights.

4 was a sword fight though. :)

Finished it tonight, prefer 4 overall, but the train at the end here is definitely the best setpiece in the series I think. Really amazing how they bring everything together in the train sequence. Chasing it down in the 4x4, getting on, using the rope at times, shootouts, jumping off the train and back on a 4x4, the turret, it was all just a blast to play.

Really loved Chloe throughout the game, and how they went into her heritage and her father. I wasn't really sold on Nadine though, especially after Sam showed up. Just not really buying that her and Sam could reconcile after Sam and Nate practically wiped out Shoreline and killed most of her employees. Would have traded Nadine and Sam to have Cutter in this game.

Awesome game though!

she saved him from drowning with the rock.

He saved her from the gun.

Not really implausible that they fixed things. On my 2nd play through, I quite enjoyed their banter leading up to the chamber - the slow march after asav captures everyone. Quite cool how if Chloe doesn't push on, she gets shot also.

LiK

Thank gawd for infinite ammo and the Desert 5. Crushing would've been way more frustrating without that godly handcannon.

J 0 E

I could be wrong about this but The Lost Legacy might be first time in Uncharted series that they are able successfully recover the main treasure from lost city.

I guess Chloe is better treasure hunter than Drake.

It'a Sam < who recovered U4's treasures too

Do you guys prefer this train set-piece or the one from 2? This one is definitely crazier and better than any individual stretch from 2's train...but 2 is a lot longer and has the amazing scenery changes and great variety of combat, platforming, helicopter chase, etc. Legacy's boss fight shits on the one from 2 as well lol. I'm kinda torn though. Maybe I prefer 2 still just for the scope and atmosphere of that gigantic train journey.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah... I want more.

this was the most surprising thing. i am a big new IP advocate. i wanted naughty dog to make their sci fi epic next even before they announced TLOU2, but after playing this game by this incredibly talented team i want to see where they take the series next. it's weird to say but after 4 games i find that these guys finally get what makes a good puzzle. they finally understand how to incorporate platforming into the game. how to create shooting sections that arent tedious and have just the right amount of variety. Adding APCs and Helicopters into shooting sections was brilliant. And above all, how to add exploration into an action adventure game. chapter 4 is just brilliant. its what the desert levels in uncharted 3 and 4 should have been.

I mean this team is so talented, they made Sam interesting!! i loved his interactions with Nadine because for the first time Sam finally had a conflict with another character. he got along pretty well with sully and nate and even elena for the one level he was with her. Here though, the banter is incredible. they use him to point out Nadine's character growth which is another brilliant idea. he was hilarious, and just the right amount of selfish. Come to think of it, he was basically Chloe in Uncharted 2.

i want them to take the next 2-3 years, and make another game with chloe. Have at least 2 big open world areas with collectibles. This time please ffs add a weapon wheel and weapon upgrades so there is more incentive to explore. Oh and have at least 2-3 chapters like Chapter 9. that was, as dunkey once said, sheer bewildering perfection. wait until the PS5 launch in Fall 2020 and spend the next 3 years creating beautiful worlds, setpieces that incorporate planes and ships, and a story that involves Cutter and maybe Sully this time around. Chloe was so goddamn amazing in this they can give her her own trilogy. Phenomenal writing.

The elephant scene is ten times better than their previous giraffe scene.

It's weird. My first thought was, yes, the giraffe moment was topped. but then i thought about it a bit more and the giraffe moment works on so many more levels.. in terms of spectacle, yes, the elephant scene is better, but the giraffe moment captures her sadness, brings back her young plucky innocent self after the terrifying ordeal she's just gone through with David. it also has this sense of impending doom where things are a bit uneasy despite this brief but welcome respite.

i had a smile the whole time playing the elephant scene though, only Naughty dog can capture that kind of magic. no offense to nintendo.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do you guys prefer this train set-piece or the one from 2? This one is definitely crazier and better than any individual stretch from 2's train...but 2 is a lot longer and has the amazing scenery changes and great variety of combat, platforming, helicopter chase, etc. Legacy's boss fight shits on the one from 2 as well lol. I'm kinda torn though. Maybe I prefer 2 still just for the scope and atmosphere of that gigantic train journey.

contextually, 2's train sequence was such a revelation for its time that it's hard to beat. 4's convoy chase and TLL's train/convoy combo are the only ones that come close. TLL's key advantage here is that its train set piece doubles as the final encounter, making it ridiculously intense without being all that difficult. and yeah the "boss" is way more satisfying in the remix.

Bandit1

I'd have to go with The Lost Legacy train. The inclusion of the rope and boarding/unboarding with the vehicles on the ground puts it over the top for me.

AngryMoth

This was pretty good, beat my expectations. I think it's probably a better game than U4 but by virtue of playing U4 first the burnout is real and it didn't hit as well as it otherwise might have.

The game design out side of the combat feels extremely dated now. The platforming is just a chore because it requires no skill and the slow paced sections like the Elephant ride don't hit home the village section in U2 did simply because they've done it so many times now. And jesus christ I wish they'd stop putting the "boost me up", move this cart over here so we can jump up stuff in. I know why they do it but it's been 4 games of that stuff and it's so freaking tired, there must be something else they could do to add breaks from the action.

Still though it was an enjoyable romp, good characters as always and holy shit the ending set piece was amazing. They should save the best for last like that more often.

Thinking about it now it's pretty damn impressive they were able to put this out in 15 months assuming there was no work done it before the release of U4, it's probably a similar length to the first game.

autoduelist

This game was amazing.

I absolutely missed Drake and Sully... like, I -missed- them. The banter in this game felt like it was often Drake banter, just shifted to a new character, and that stung me. That said, I do think they did a great job with these characters, and I enjoyed them and their growth, story... but damn, it made me miss Drake so much.

Even so? It's probably my favorite Uncharted. Everything felt so tight. They finally gave us relatively hard [still not hard enough] puzzles and didn't feed us the answer. I loved the bracelet for finding stuff [thank you! collectables should not be painful!].

The ending chapter was just brilliant. Like, seat of your pants amazing. My game was on Crushing, so it was hard as hell and yet invigorating. So good. it was such an amazing call back to the other train fight, yet improving it in every way due to advances in tech/qol gameplay.

The villian was... alright? He felt more real than some others, though I miss the over the top in some other Uncharteds.

All in all, just brilliant. I already miss it. I want more. I'm sad we don't get more of these 'half size' Uncharted side stories between every installment.

Grisby

2's final boss fight wasn't fantastic, but it didn't feel like it was lazy like 3, 4, and LL. At least in 2's you actually got to run around and shoot (you know, doing things the game is actually about) and not just press buttons awkwardly.
Yeah. Come to think of it, Golden Abyss had a fight sequence too which was awful due to the fact you had to use the vita's swiping mechanic.
Just finished it and I loved it. Watching the credits made me realize that I'd love an Uncharted Go or a smaller game where the character's designs were like those in the beginning credits.
Uncharted Kart.

I still think the opening sequence is the best in the game. Sneaking through a war-torn, neon lit India felt dangerous.

Innocent people are being battered, bombs are going off and it feels totally unique to Uncharted.

I'd been following the game, but I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't sink when we were dragged back into yet another jungle... particularly as I felt A Thief's End got bogged down in greenery for far too long.

Among Thieves saw you sneaking through a museum, battling through a destroyed city, making your way through mountains and, eventually, discovering a truly spectacular long-forgotten world.

For all the talk of The Lost Legacy's pacing, it feels nowhere near as varied. Yes, it was made super quickly, but I'd argue it's just a little too one note.

That's not to say there's not some diversity there... but yeah, it just didn't quite do it for me.

As for the earlier discussion about the train sequence, pound for pound, it's better than Uncharted 2.

But again, that environmental diversity helps elevate the latter. Plus it's masterfully interwoven with the narrative, joining up to where the game began several hours earlier. It was also a real revelation at the time and is still incredible.

I'd give Uncharted 2's sequence the overall nod, but The Lost Legacy has it beat from a gameplay perspective I think.

iratA

This was the evolution of 2 that I wanted since playing 2. 4 was basically doing its own thing, but this felt like what 3 should have been. For one, the pacing and mix of action, puzzles, exploration, and character beats was balanced well and naturally flowed together

The temples and ruins were the best since 2's Nepal temple. I felt 3 and 4 were lacking in this area; this went back to the grandiose lost cities and structures that 2 did well

The final chapter was the best sequence the series has ever done, the ultimate evolution of the convoy mission that ND has been iterating on since 2. Combining it with a train mission was brilliant; while the changing scenery in 2 made that train stage more visually and technologically impressive, this one was a major upgrade on the combat and gameplay fronts, with grapple swinging and seamless leaping between trucks, driving, and back on the train

In many ways, this felt like the best parts of Uncharted 2, expanded upon with the best parts of 4. Even the story was similar: a lost city, a paramilitary antagonist with his own army, an ally working with the enemy, the train and convoy mission, even a tank analog that opened up the encounter to be more free form ala 4's combat

I had positive expectations for TLL, but ND exceeded them. While 4 excelled at what it set out to do, this was unadulterated Uncharted in a lean package sans filler

Holy shit! Well said, but also kinda creepy, its like you read my goddamn mind and put it on the internet.

FelipeMGM

Started my Crushing playthrough and to my surprise there is a completely different route to get to the rooftop on chapter 1. And a way faster one too lol

tootie923

Did Nadine laugh at Sam's joke about Orca's mullet? I was looking at him and missed her facial expression. He said, "She gets it!" I assume she cracked a smile there?

shiba5

Started my Crushing playthrough and to my surprise there is a completely different route to get to the rooftop on chapter 1. And a way faster one too lol

I found that my 2nd time through too and was like, well duh.

Did Nadine laugh at Sam's joke about Orca's mullet? I was looking at him and missed her facial expression. He said, "She gets it!" I assume she cracked a smile there?

Yeah she did.

Roufianos

I loved it. What a game. Why bring back Sam though? I can't stand him, didn't we get enough of him in 4?

Sully with these two ladies would have been my preference.

Finally finished the game a few minutes ago. Speechless.
It's insane that what started as a piece of UC4 DLC just became my favorite game in the series, beating out UC2.

The train sequence was absolutely bonkers in the best possible way and I loved the way Sam was handled and brought into the fold. Asav was underdeveloped and a bit too hammy but I was satisfied with the boss fight so that helped things. I think the biggest thing for me is the pacing and how perfect it was from beginning to end. It's no secret that UC4 had glaring pacing issues that bogged the experience down but every beat here was right on the money.

I think the narrative lends itself well to expansion and I hope that if the series were to continue, it would do so under the direction of Shaun Escayg and Kurt Margenau with Chloe and Nadine, perhaps with Sam playing a background roll. I loved the dynamic between Chloe and Nadine and the opportunity to further their relationship is just too good to pass up in my opinion.

All that being said, if this truly served as the final Naughty Dog produced entry in the series, I would be left satisfied - far more satisfied than I had been with UC4. It was the perfect length, introduced a new and engaging character relationship and dynamic, was packed to the brim with some of the best set-pieces and puzzles in the franchise and managed to look and play better than UC4 through small refinements to the visual direction and combat arenas. Absolutely a ride worth taking for casual and hardcore Uncharted fans alike and easily one of my favorites of the year.

9/10.

LiK

People like to hate on Sam but I think the way he helped them out at the end was very Sully-like. Curious if we'll see the Sam x Sully game people were expecting.

I adored this game, I thought I loved 4 but man this one is just so perfectly paced the entire time and some great dialog. I can easily see myself plaything this again soon.

Top Bottom