• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy - Western Ghats Gameplay Video (the open-world-ish area)

Dadasch

I'm just not hearing anything bad or off from the voice acting. Sounds great to me, just like UC4. The only thing I didn't like in that video was after Chloe tied the wench around the door. I don't see why Nadine, who was already in the jeep, couldn't have gotten in the driver's seat herself and pulled it open instead of the player having to run back over and do it.

Somehow the VO seems very basic, kinda lifeless and boring. Well, bad acting imo.
I don't know, there are not many who are hearing it so it can't be that bad.

Probably will just go away during my own playthrough.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Was Chloe always Indian? I can't remember any moment in the games where its mentioned.

Ricky_R

But that´s cut-scene /set-piece stuff, no?

That´s not the usual banter while driving around.

But in the end - who cares?

Does not really matter how it was made - the result is still rough and does not match the VO work in UC4 at all.

Definitely has some B-Team vibes, but it´s more Uncharted - so I´m in!

Saw the Jeep bit and it does sound a bit less natural than in UC4, but I wouldn't say horrible by any means. It seems Neil is just better at getting the best out of voice actors, even when it's banter.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They probably don't think a distraction mechanic fits, it's not like they can't implement it, they did it in TLOU and it worked great, I tend to agree with them that it might feel out of place in UC settings and environments.
How? If anything it would fit since they're always on islands and such with plenty of rocks and hard surfaces that would make sounds.

I'm just not hearing anything bad or off from the voice acting. Sounds great to me, just like UC4. The only thing I didn't like in that video was after Chloe tied the wench around the door. I don't see why Nadine, who was already in the jeep, couldn't have gotten in the driver's seat herself and pulled it open instead of the player having to run back over and do it.
The accent Laura Bailey's going for is REALLY missing the mark.

So excited for this, can't wait to return to this world.

This. And I think they've got a great back and forth in tone in between UC4 and 1-3 with a little more of the adventurous tone from the different needs of the story and Chloe being Chloe, but also the opposite vibes of Nadine.

I want a gamersyde vid with HDR.

I'm almost tempted to replay all of UC4 after popping it in for 30 mins this weekend.

It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a TV.

Yeah, and this looks even better so I can't wait to see it on my TV. I expect their uses of HDR will probably look even better too now that it was expected during the whole development.

I'm weak, I just had to watch. Looks so good! I only wish all Naughty Dog trailers came with a hit of this at the end.

QDjEjH3.png

LOL

Shin-Ra

I don't see why Nadine, who was already in the jeep, couldn't have gotten in the driver's seat herself and pulled it open instead of the player having to run back over and do it.
In U4 they had a mixture of doing it all yourself and the partner(s) helping, probably to mix it up.

Also Chloe Frazer's the best driver in the business.

The accent Laura Bailey's going for is REALLY missing the mark.
I guess I don't know what hitting the mark is supposed to sound like then. She sounds like she did in UC4 and I didn't have a problem with her performance there.

In U4 they had a mixture of doing it all yourself and the partner(s) helping, probably to mix it up.

Also Chloe Frazer's the best driver in the business.
Yeah, I know. I played UC4. I'd just rather have it where if you're close enough to the vehicle, you do it, and if you're closer to where you attached the wench, the AI partner does it. It's a minor thing, though.

FelipeMGM

You know what this really makes me
(potentially)
excited for?

For something like a ''The Last Of Us: Chronicles'' 15 months after Part II

Its crazy what they
(seemed to)
have managed to achieve in such a short time

(potentially)
excited for?

Its crazy what they
(seemed to)
That would be dope. Show what's happening in other parts of the world in a standalone game.

RSchmitz

(potentially)
excited for?

Its crazy what they
(seemed to)

That would be cool.

Ehh, don't care for the giant vehicle section. UC4 had that too.

Im just going to enjoy this for the beautiful environment, and just really want some nice platforming. Hide some secret paths and points of interest and all that into the world, or hide some cool weapons in areas for me to discover and Im happy.

UrbanRats

Uhm... i love open worlds, but the open level with the jeep in Unchadted 4 was very boring to me.

Hopefully this is better.

I did like the more open combat arenas tho.

Good characters - yeah.

The voice acting is still really bad though.

At no point did it sound like two humans having a conversation in a moving car.

Always sounded like two women in a studio - you can almost hear the paper they´re reading of. (In separate sessions, because I don´t think they were in the studio at the same time)

Is that paper you're hearing the map she opens? Games often have super clear dialogue because a player, distracted with the task of playing, has trouble focusing.

TripOpt55

Seems like a souped-up Madagascar. I'm really glad they are bringing back the new mechanics from Uncharted 4 like the Jeep, grapple and piton. And I like the addition of the lock-pick and it sounds like they will be using the phone more (only skimmed through the previews a bit). Giving more stuff to explore for like that side quest-esque thing they mention is a plus. I really liked the addition of optional conversations and other non-treasure stuff they had for collecting in 4. Could definitely be beefed up. Anyway, game is looking great. Can't wait to play this!

Really looking forward to playing this, not gonna watch any videos so I can go in blind.

I've been playing a game a day of UC4 mp the past month, its really enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing what the DLC brings to MP and hopefully a ton of new players too.

Tyaren

Who spit in the writer of Push Square's cheerios, lol? That excerpt sounds overly critical and disinterested.

I am however really excited for this. :D More freedom, more exploration, more reason for treasure finding. Chloe and Nadine too are a great and interesting change for a team.

dex3108

I first watched video with regular 2.1 speakers and audio was ok. But then i used my headphones (cheap Siberia 150) and boy voice acting and voice audio for main characters really sticks out. You really can "hear" booth environment and feel simple line reading instead of real conversation. It's like they didn't do any post processing with voice recordings to make it blend in game environment. Other sounds/audio is great even NPC voice acting. It blends far better.

wouwie

I just watched a small part of the video (i usually avoid any media for UC but somehow i don't care this time) and i'm surprisingly uninterested in this. I used to love the franchise but then Uncharted 4 happened. From the small part i saw, this seems more of Uncharted 4, with huge areas to "explore" where there is only few things to do (e.g. Madagascar). Also, i think i've had it with these typical jungle settings and wished for something completely different visually and setting wise.

I will probably still buy day one but i doesn't do anything for me at this point. Naughty Dog should probably give the series a long and well deserved break. It's strange how much of an effect UC4 has on how i feel about the series. UC1 and 2 will forever remain classics though.

Watched 5 seconds to hear Claudia Black's voice.

Uncharted 4 is my favored of Naughty Dog's post-PS1 output, so like UC4 this is day one. Looks gorgeous.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Im not watching the video but it seems like some of u disappointed that they are using same engine as UC4.

Really!!? do u guys really expecting UC5 out of this? Some of u guys just love set yourself up for disappointment for no reason.

Dadasch

I first watched video with regular 2.1 speakers and audio was ok. But then i used my headphones (cheap Siberia 150) and boy voice acting and voice audio for main characters really sticks out. You really can "hear" booth environment and feel simple line reading instead of real conversation. It's like they didn't do any post processing with voice recordings to make it blend in game environment. Other sounds/audio is great even NPC voice acting. It blends far better.

Right?
So I'm not imagining things, yay.

Švejk

Wish Chloe didn't move like a re-skin of Nathan. Looks a bit ....odd.
For $40, I can wait till it drops in price. I mean, Left Behind was $14.99 when it was released...

Tagg9

Do we know what resolution the PS4 Pro version will run in? I'm wondering if they were able to get it higher than the 1440p that Uncharted 4 ran at.

t hicks

Banned
Got to play this area and it feels like a more fully realized version of what they were going for with the Madagascar level. There you just had one main path and a few diversions, but here there are 3 structures you need to visit, all with combat scenarios. I even found a little sidequest with fountains you had to disable in time. It is another nudge towards a real open world game, so I can't escape the feeling that they're testing the waters with these expanding areas.

I got 2/3 main objectives done before I had to stop. You get a map that gets updated, a phone and there's a new kind of collectible in photo-ops. I didn't find any yet in my session though. Overall I was pleased with what I played, def. an improvement over Madagascar gameplay-wise.
Thanks for the impressions, wasn't a huge fan of the Madagascar segment in UC4 but this sounds a lot more improved :)

timberger

Usual suspects coming running when there's an Uncharted thread to shit up again I see.

Ah well, game is looking great as expected but I won't watch the whole vid. Want to go in as dry as possible on this one's story.

Melchiah

Even as excited as I'm about playing this, I can't help being worried that The Last of Us part II is going into the same direction. Do not want open world TLOU.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Voice-acting is HORRIBLE!

Everything else looks solid. Can´t wait!

Truly terrible. I first thought I am watching someone do sarcastic voice overs, only when she stepped to the jeep and interacted with the other character I realised it's the actual voice acting. Holy shit.

Do we know what resolution the PS4 Pro version will run in? I'm wondering if they were able to get it higher than the 1440p that Uncharted 4 ran at.

If you read Eurogamers preview they confirm 1440p with HDR.

Has ND talked about improvements to the game engine since UC4, to me there looks to have been a nice improvement.

Tyaren

If you read Eurogamers preview they confirm 1440p with HDR.

Has ND talked about improvements to the game engine since UC4, to me there looks to have been a nice improvement.

I too thought it looks even better than UC4. Especially the more enclosed areas, that we saw in the trailers. I noticed one thing though: The shadows are terrible.

https://youtu.be/_tF_YCddHVg?t=3m28s

They are the crudest, most pixelated ones that I have seen in a current AAA title. :(

VO seems a little off but the gameplay is looking great. I'm going through Uncharted 4 again on the side right now and it seems to have taken the best parts of it in that demo.

If it's really 10 hours long, or about as long as Drake's Fortune, its very impressive. Especially given how A Thief's End just came out a little over a year ago.

Best wishes.

Kambing

Hmm -- only saw one screenshot as I want to go in somewhat blind. Having said that, kind of disappointing to read that PS4 Pro support is 1440p... although still better than 1080p, the 2160cc used in Horizon is ahead in clarity. They obviously know better than me, so I trust their judgement. But yeah HZD is definitely more sharp compared to UC4 because of this. They done goofed up if there is no downsampling for 1080p users.

Top Bottom