• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under 100k copies of Street Fighter V were shipped/sold digitaly from April to June

fernoca

People need stop mentioning that embarassment, it still to this day has not sold through its initial shipment.
Though, didn't they shipping some units last year or something?

I remember when the numbers were posted people surprised that they were still shipping copies.

EDIT:
Links were posted above. Not last year, but by 2014.

Shadoken

I remember when the numbers were posted people surprised that they were still shipping copies.

Yup. They went through their initial shipement and then Capcom shipped another 100k. Which ALSO sold through and then Capcom did another 100k. No updates after that. So it has at least SOLD 1.1m.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...super-street-fighter-4-3ds-shockingly-enough/

Surprising that they didnt want to bring over USF4 to the 3DS. It should have got the final edition. Could have moved a decent 150-200k or so.

fernoca

Yup. They went through their initial shipement by 2011 and then Capcom shipped another 100k. Which ALSO sold through and then Capcom did another 100k.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...super-street-fighter-4-3ds-shockingly-enough/
Yeah.
If they never sold their initial shipment, there wouldn't be a need for additional ones. Stores would've even sent back excess inventory for redistribution either to other retailers in the chain or back to the distributor.

Plus the first shipment had the lenticular slipcover, that later copies lacked.

You know the initial shipment was 1 million, right? So if it's sold 1.2 million, it obviously has gone through its initial shipment.

EDIT:
Links were posted above. Not last year, but by 2014.

Yup. They went through their initial shipement and then Capcom shipped another 100k. Which ALSO sold through and then Capcom did another 100k. No updates after that. So it has at least SOLD 1.1m.

Surprising that they didnt want to bring over USF4 to the 3DS. It should have got the final edition. Could have moved a decent 150-200k or so.

Yeah.
If they never sold their initial shipment, there wouldn't be a need for additional ones. Stores would've even sent back excess inventory for redistribution either to other retailers in the chain or back to the distributor.

Plus the first shipment had the lenticular slipcover, that later copies lacked.

Digital copies.

Shadoken

Digital copies.

So you mean to say that randomly in 2014 there was a huge surge in Digital copies sold? And not that the initial shipment was sold through and they sent over another shipment.
Umm yea I dont really buy that , unless you have some proof stating otherwise.

Also there were two different updates to the game. Original shipment was 1m , then Capcom updated to 1.1 and later 1.2. I find it hard to believe that all those 200k copies are from digital.

It was also the best selling 3DS game at launch.
http://www.wired.com/2011/04/march-2011-npd/

Yeah, but the initial shipment had the lenticular cover which later shipments lacked.

I bought it at launch and got a normal cover. Pretty sure it was retailer specific.

So you mean to say that randomly in 2014 there was a huge surge in Digital copies sold? And not that the initial shipment was sold through and they sent over another shipment.
Umm yea I dont really buy that , unless you have some proof stating otherwise.

Also there were two different updates to the game. Original shipment was 1m , then Capcom updated to 1.1 and later 1.2. I find it hard to believe that all those 200k copies are from digital.

It was also the best selling 3DS game at launch.
http://www.wired.com/2011/04/march-2011-npd/

They only update the numbers in 100ks these days, so it could have taken ages to reach that. It also received a large amount of steep discounts digitally after a few years.

Also the 3DS launch was dire, so it being the best selling doesn't say much. Nor does best selling mean high sell through.

fernoca

I bought it at launch and got a normal cover. Pretty sure it was retailer specific.
Not in NA at least,they even announced it as a first shipment deal. Meaning that even if there were some units at launch without it, they already were shipping additional ones without it. :p

But in any case, the games was released in 2011, on which they shipped 1 million units.

The digital release wasn't until 2013 on which by that time it had a reported 1.1 million shipped.

Then in 2014, they reported the 1.2 mlion copies.

I thought they fixed the shadow dithering on ps4? I remember someone saying it was gone, loaded up the ps4 version and I didn't see it.
Pretty sure they improved it a little bit, but it's essentially an AMD problem.

Still as nasty as it always was. It ruins the art so much, the pc version however looks amazing and doesn't suffer from it. I just don't understand how a game that is only for ps4/pc have this problem? It's not even a full multiplatform game and it was still not enough power. It's in dire need of a ps neo patch in the future.

streetfighterv_201608hvqu7.png

Why would fans of street fighter 5 not own a ps4? I doubt they lost a ton of sales I really do except for mobile. I bet a mobile sf5 would have sold well especially if it crossed talked accounts with your console account.
None of my Xbox buddies bought a PS4 for SF5. I played a ton of SF4 on 360 with my friends. I bought SF5 too but it's my least played SF ever because I don't like ranked and playing with randoms. It's a personal anecdote but I absolutely believe that SF5 would have sold well on Xbox. Probably not as good as the PS4 version but it would have certainly helped the game.

Right now I play KI most of the time. I look forward to playing Tekken 7 with my friends. On Xbox.

None of my Xbox buddies bought a PS4 for SF5. I played a ton of SF4 on 360 with my friends. I bought SF5 too but it's my least played SF ever because I don't like ranked and playing with randoms. It's a personal anecdote but I absolutely believe that SF5 would have sold well on Xbox. Probably not as good as the PS4 version but it would have certainly helped the game.

Right now I play KI most of the time. I look forward to playing Tekken 7 with my friends. On Xbox.
Same here, except out of like 20 of my friends that bought and play SF4 only 2 of us bought sf5 because of console.

Oh if it was on xbox it would have sold another 2 mill easy, right?

There are many people who play Capcom fighters on Sega systems and made the jump to Xbox from the Dreamcast. I for one would pick up SFV for Xbox because in my opinion, Xbox Live > PSN. When the game wasn't available, I wasn't going to buy a PS4 to play 1 game on a network I don't care for. When the game was put on Steam it didn't matter because again I wanted to play it on Xbox Live.

Renekton

I think it would have sold very poorly on X1 as well.

Back in SF4, my PS3-only friends bought X360 just for better match connectivity (MS had superior infrastructure at the time).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It also would have sold poorly on X1 because SFV itself is selling poorly, that's really all there is to it.

Still as nasty as it always was. It ruins the art so much, the pc version however looks amazing and doesn't suffer from it. I just don't understand how a game that is only for ps4/pc have this problem? It's not even a full multiplatform game and it was still not enough power. It's in dire need of a ps neo patch in the future.

Shadow Dithering is the last thing people should worry about for an Fighting game focused online. SFV needs a proper rollback implementation

Shadow Dithering is the last thing people should worry about for an Fighting game focused online. SFV needs a proper rollback implementation

I absolutely agree there are other priorities to tackle first with SFV right now but I do have to admit that the dithering is god awful and extremely distracting to me at times, as someone who only has access to the PS4 version.

I also wonder where SFV on PS4 lies in the realm of load times into matches? I seem to feel like it's a bit worse than contemporary fighters, but never seen any comparisons to confirm.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They haven't even touched the horrendous clipping in the character loading screen. That's 100% in their power to do and it makes the whole game look cheap. I wouldn't bet on them fixing the shadows for a while...

I absolutely agree there are other priorities to tackle first with SFV right now but I do have to admit that the dithering is god awful and extremely distracting to me at times, as someone who only has access to the PS4 version.

I also wonder where SFV on PS4 lies in the realm of load times into matches? I seem to feel like it's a bit worse than contemporary fighters, but never seen any comparisons to confirm.
The load times are definitely bad. It's weird because they seem to be artificially prolonged. The harddrive light shows no activity for like half of the transition from the vs screen to the match. It's as if there is a fixed timer.

fernoca

Yeah, there's just something weird around the loadings to matches on PS4. Even the story mode was made worse by the constant loadings before and after a match.

So instead of: Cutscene, fight, cutscene
It was: Cutscene, loading, fight, loading, cutscene

Shadoken

Jesus christ. He was just mentioning why SFV would sell on Xbox , because someone else mentioned that anybody who was interested in SFV would have bought a PS4. Which isnt entirely true. He even says it wouldn't have sold as much as the PS4 version.

Did you even read my post?

Ofc he didn't, Any post that is even remotely hinting at SFV selling more needs to be replied with a hyperbole statement.

It's because the high shadow resolution requires much more power than a ps4 has, even on powerful pcs that setting can cause slowdowns on closeups; Mika's premium costume can cause a massive framedrop on the character select screen/closeups because the shadow resolution on her scarf feathers goes crazy.

It's because the high shadow resolution requires much more power than a ps4 has, even on powerful pcs that setting can cause slowdowns on closeups; Mika's premium costume can cause a massive framedrop on the character select screen/closeups because the shadow resolution on her scarf feathers goes crazy.

In that case I'll take all the graphical effects i can get then. I rather have dithered shadows even if it's distracting then no shadows at all. Anyways the game can look awesome if you catch it at the right frames.

streetfighterv_20160811oca.png

streetfighterv_20160843ru9.png

Neoxon

Any reason why they choose to use the unreal engine instead of updating the sf4 technology?
Likely because UE4 was easier to work with &, as SneakersSO said, more people know how to work with UE4 (thus making the hiring of contractors easier). And besides, the old Dimps engine didn't exactly age well.

Why you ask? Did you want Capcom to port over the SFIV characters? The models kinda aged like milk.

Any reason why they choose to use the unreal engine instead of updating the sf4 technology?

The development pipeline is extremely streamlined & can very easily allow you to pick up contractors with much less hassle than a in-house engine. This was probably the reason they went with UE4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom's recent engine adventures haven't been very successful. They're even using Unity for that Resident Evil shooter.
And they might've dropped their Panta Rhei engine completely. That thing was supposed to be ready more than 2 years ago.

Likely because UE4 was easier to work with &, as SneakersSO said, more people know how to work with UE4 (thus making the hiring of contractors easier). And besides, the old Dimps engine didn't exactly age well.

Why you ask? Did you want Capcom to port over the SFIV characters? The models kinda aged like milk.

So true

0D7CC25EA0CDFFBA6BD4F6AC40781B0C330B030F

streetfighterv_20160811oca.png

Sesha

Capcom's recent engine adventures haven't been very successful. They're even using Unity for that Resident Evil shooter.
And they might've dropped their Panta Rhei engine completely. That thing was supposed to be ready more than 2 years ago.

The states of Resident Evil 2 Remake and DMC5, as well as the state of Deep Down, will be the final nails in the coffin for Panta Rhei. If neither of them use it, then it's Deep Down-only like how Luminous is FFXV-only, or just plain dead.

molnizzle

streetfighterv_201608hvqu7.png

God damn, had no idea the game looked that bad on PS4. Yikes.

Tyaren

God damn, had no idea the game looked that bad on PS4. Yikes.

That is what I am telling everybody and everyone says I'm crazy. The game looks really poor on PS4. Ugly dithering, some nasty textures on characters and even nastier ones in backgrounds. The IQ is nothing to write home about either. :/ Technically I think it's one of the PS4's ugliest games, and before anyone jumps at my throat again, that is my personal opinion. My personal opinion is also that KoFXIV does look technically better/cleaner (the art style is pretty meh though!) just because the textures are clean and sharp and there is none of that ugly dithering plastered all over the characters.

Anyways the game can look awesome if you catch it at the right frames.

streetfighterv_20160843ru9.png

That is supposed to look awesome? Just look at those muddy textures and PS2 quality animal models in the background. They all don't even throw any shadows. And again that dithering...

Reg

Banned

The development pipeline is extremely streamlined & can very easily allow you to pick up contractors with much less hassle than a in-house engine. This was probably the reason they went with UE4.

They had like a year to finish it. And their in house engine wasnt ready , as seen by deep down.

Gotcha. Thanks.

fernoca

Up close may look a bit off and on bigger TVs is more noticeable, but on peasant 22 inches like mine, a bit of dithering aside, it is a good looking game on PS4.

Now, it would be better with a swimsuit Rashid costume, but that's another thing.

KingBroly

Banned
That is what I am telling everybody and everyone says I'm crazy. The game looks really poor on PS4. Ugly dithering, some nasty textures on characters and even nastier ones in backgrounds. The IQ is nothing to write home about either. :/ Technically I think it's one of the PS4's ugliest games, and before anyone jumps at my throat again, that is my personal opinion. My personal opinion is also that KoFXIV does look technically better/cleaner (the art style is pretty meh though!) just because the textures are clean and sharp and there is none of that ugly dithering plastered all over the characters.

That is supposed to look awesome? Just look at those muddy textures and PS2 quality animal models in the background. They all don't even throw any shadows. And again that dithering...

For that stage, those sheep are 30fps too. DLC stages all have 60fps background elements tho.

Don't forget the super intense chromatic aberration that is attempting to murder all of our eyes. Because the game just doesn't look cheap enough, I guess, they needed to give it the look of being filmed by an ultra crap camera lens.

SF5 definitely can look good sometimes, and certain elements are high quality, but I think at best you can describe the game's visuals as uneven.

Anyway, people were asking for that shot on PC:

I couldn't figure out how to save replays in a local match so it has the HUD (I welcome advice on how to fix this), but I think the comparison is pretty close otherwise. I had no idea the PS4 version's image quality was that terrible. As if the loading times weren't bad enough!

Top Bottom