• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Fire from Taito; the height of BAD digitized sprites...but there must be more hilarious examples right Gaf?

VGEsoterica

If you didn't grow up in the 90s you may not be as familiar with the digitized sprites craze that was all the rage back then but even if you DIDN'T grow up back then...I am sure you've at least played Mortal Kombat. That game spurred on the digitized sprite craze that took over for a few years. Basically every developer had to pop out a game using real actors and locations photographed and then turned into a video game.

But nobody did it AS GOOD / BAD as Taito with Under Fire. It's pure cheese in the best sense of the word. The sprites are janky AF, the actors look like they were just pulled in off the sidewalk...and it even has gangsters with rocket launchers dressed as large dogs...yeah I shit you not!

But its also one of the most entertaining light gun shooters nobody seems to know exists. But damn it Taito went HARD with this one and the results are pure 90s hilarity.

But GAF...what other terrible examples of digitized sprites are there? I KNOW there are more

coffinbirth

That's the funny thing, it's only the BAD and/or real life digitized sprites that get noticed as such. Games like Donkey Kong Country don't tend to get lumped in with those, but it's the same technique. But yeah, Batman Forever sure sticks in my mind as a bad example of this, haha.

tumblr_o5kuwlsB7f1qd4q8ao1_500.gifv

VGEsoterica

That's the funny thing, it's only the BAD and/or real life digitized sprites that get noticed as such. Games like Donkey Kong Country don't tend to get lumped in with those, but it's the same technique. But yeah, Batman Forever sure sticks in my mind as a bad example of this, haha.

But those are pre-rendered digitized sprites. I’m talking humans scanned into games

buenoblue

Ah I love digitized sprites! I wish mortal Kombat would go back to them! Imagine today's technology and animation! The games would look photo realistic!

Patrick S.

Banned

This... looks good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Outside of the graphics, they nailed the setting. The light gun games I played the most were typically Namco and Sega cabinets. Ninja Assault, Time Crisis/Crisis Zone, Gunblade NY, Virtua Cop, Jurassic Park, and HotD. The more realistic looking shooters like this were Lethal Enforcer and Maximum Force. Arcades like Aladdin’s Castle were owned by Namco, so it makes sense that every branch had Time Crisis.

I’d love to see Taito release these in a collection. I wonder if this game is at Galloping Ghosts. Someday I’d like to go there.

I remember asking my parents for MK3 because I already owned MK2 on SNES. They bought me Batman Forever instead. I hated a lot of things about that game, especially using the zip line by pressing Select.

Last edited:

MrA

Basically any fighter that wasn't mortal kombat
Some of the best (worst)
3do
Way of the warrior

Somehow it lead to what naughty dog is now
Shadow war of succession

Somehow this was profitable

Jaguar

Kasumi ninja

Highlight is the Scottish guy shoots fireball by lifting the front of his kilt

The jag also has ultra vortek but that isn't terrible

theclaw135

Banned
Here you have a brawler/platformer that misuses fighting game style graphics.

Batman fails again at looking pre-rendered.

Top Bottom