• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underappreciated Villains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop89

Black Hat (Movie: Priest)
tumblr_mq50wchrEa1rxspeco1_500.gif

tumblr_inline_mv4lqyz5ww1rwp17y.gif

tumblr_inline_nbkl11yEt01t0ofm7.gif

Love Urban's performance. Pity this awesome villain had to feature in this lackluster movie :/

I'd say Skeletor in masters of the universe, but I think everyone who ever watched it appreciates the superb and imo definitive performance frank langella gave in that role.

Raul Julia gave a similarly outstanding performance under even worse conditions (he was very ill and it was to sadly be his last film) as Bison in Street Fighter (though it wasn't definitive as Langella's was given the way the film called for the character to be). To this day myself and my friends act out "tuesday", "for that is the price they will set" and of course "but I guess you didn't SEE that".

liquidtmd

Banned
87aed8abd018bb490305a9dcb6781308.jpg

Similar to Sir Crocs observation that anyone who observed him would hopefully come to the same conclusion, I feel the need to highlight Ray Stevenson in Season 7 of Dexter purely because Seasons 5-8 of Dexter were mostly bollocks.

Stevenson though raised the whole season and his scenes were first rate. Great charismatic antagonist.

Veelk

Banned

I don't know if underappreciated is exactly the right word. He's certainly much better known than any of the examples listed thus far, and I think the general reception to him is positive. However, when he's mentioned, it's often about his voice, his lines. Those aren't bad things to be known for, I guess, as they are fairly entertaining. More derivatively, a lot of posters think less of him because he chooses to serve Talia. I think that's kind of bullshit, since it draws an interesting parallel between Batman's ally's thematically.

But not many people talk about how he felt like a huge threat throughout the movie to Batman. I remember in the theater watching "how the hell are they all gonna come back from the shit he does here". Granted, there were some plot hiccups through the movie that undermine that aspect in retrospect, but still, I thought he put on a great show.

RoyalFool

Banned
turbotastic.jpg

Turbo/King Candy from Wreck it Ralph. Honestly didn't see it coming AT ALL.

Ohh good pick, what blew my mind is all the hints were there and I completely missed them.
When he defended the color of his castle etc.

Shame he just
turned into generic monster villain
at the end.

Chariot

escNgEl.jpg

Ume from Kimi ni Todoke

The way this battle was conducted was refreshing and I really felt with her in the end.

edit:

Oh and of course best Queen.

uzvMNsn.gif

Shinobu isn't really a villain, but I wanted to post that sneeze gif.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
estp-cypher-pics02.png

Cypher, The Matrix

Pretty one-note in his purpose, but his role in the movie was great. The future they're in sucks, some people are going to
regret the pill that they chose.

MrBadger

Ohh good pick, what blew my mind is all the hints were there and I completely missed them.
When he defended the color of his castle etc.

Shame he just
turned into generic monster villain
at the end.

Nah, I liked
his generic monster form. Felt very video gamey, which was fitting for the movie.

I figured it out from the
flashback, but I do love what they did with Turbo. So many little hints littered throughout the movie that make it obvious on the second viewing, even little things like him instantly recognising Ralph despite being in a brand new game.
More Disney villains need that kind of subtle foreshadowing so the twist isn't totally out of left field like it was in Frozen and Big Hero 6

Lord Fagan

ive never seen this movie, but now i feel like i have to

Yep, first Prophecy film is filled with amazing performances. Tried to make a "franchise" out of it and quickly lost the magic, but the original was a most excellent Catholic-themed horror film.

MrBadger

Okay, here's one.

latest

Uncle Ben twist was dumb as shit, but I loved how Sandman was portrayed in Spiderman 3. I really thought they nailed it. It's a shame about the villain bloat and everything else wrong with the movie, but the Raimi Spiderman movies had good villains, or villains so hammy you're forced to remember them. More than can be said for many superhero movies.

Mr. Sam

Owen Davian in M:I-3?

7997cfa94123c6a3bfdfc250eb91f140.jpg

Great choice. The way he's just totally calm, even when hanging out of an airplane.

"Who are you? What's you're name? Do you have a wife? A girlfriend? Because if you do, I'm gonna find her. I'm gonna hurt her. I'm gonna make her bleed, and cry, and call out your name. And then I'm gonna find you,and kill you right in front of her."

deleted

Okay, here's one.

latest

Uncle Ben twist was dumb as shit, but I loved how Sandman was portrayed in Spiderman 3. I really thought they nailed it. It's a shame about the villain bloat and everything else wrong with the movie, but the Raimi Spiderman movies had good villains, or villains so hammy you're forced to remember them. More than can be said for many superhero movies.

Yep, really underappreciated. The moment he's born, is just done so well too. The music and the Sand flowing all hit the right notes.

PSqueak

Banned
turbotastic.jpg

Pretty good pick, too bad the twist was ruined for me because
In the mexican dub the voice actor didn't make an effort to sound different when Felix is telling Callhoun about the Turbo incident, and during the flash back he says "Turbo-Tastic" in the same voice as King Candy.

Loona

turbotastic.jpg

I remember thinking of the villain meeting's mentions of "going Turbo" being a reference to villains becoming playable in Street Fighter, on account of Zangief and Bison/Vega being there - but technically that would have been Champions' Edition, which preceded Street Fighter II Turbo... it made the foreshadowing a little less obvious, which may have been unintentional, but kind of worked for me.

Shredderi

Similar to Sir Crocs observation that anyone who observed him would hopefully come to the same conclusion, I feel the need to highlight Ray Stevenson in Season 7 of Dexter purely because Seasons 5-8 of Dexter were mostly bollocks.

Stevenson though raised the whole season and his scenes were first rate. Great charismatic antagonist.

Good call. Loved him in Dexter.

pablito

Yup. As much shit as Dexter gets and deserves, he was the highlight of post season 4.
He could have helped provide a season comparable to the first 4 had he not gone out like he did.

x2YnZ45.jpg

Timothy Olyphant in Live Free or Die Hard. Not an easy task to be a Die Hard Villian (Rickman, Irons) but I really like him. Brittle, know it all asshole who really believes he's doing the U.S. and favour and would just like to get paid for it. And he really does have feelings for his head hench-lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom