• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underground - A harrowing and compelling slavery drama - Wednesdays on WGN America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Got on the train last week. It was kinda confusing cause they didn't show it, they just showed the before and after. So in one scene Noah said he'd throw her to Moses after Moses jumps on the train roof.
Then I assume they didn't have the budget for train roof stunts, so they cut back to the plantation, and when they go back to the runaways Rose is grabbing Noah to keep him from falling off the roof after the toss and she says "you did it". It was awkwardly done.

I'm watching Ep. 7 now, half way through, and it seems to focus on Boo as well, guess they focused on the main group in Ep. 6 hah.

I didn't care for that last episode, it just felt sloppy as hell in execution, and how the story unfolds at certain points was a little weak. Oh well, at least we had some decent progress at the very end.

I too wonder where the series could go in season 2. They can't really go back to the Macon ranch since literally the only slaves alive we know there are Ernestine and James. But then again everyone else is dead so they're going to have to make new characters either way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoa, I wasn't expecting, well, any of those developments (except for Rosalee deciding to return to the plantation to help the slaves who were left behind) - Noah being captured and thrown into prison, Ernestine killing Tom, and twist with the douchey sheriff being framed for helping the slaves (and then killed) were all unexpected and well executed. It's going to be interesting to see what next season looks like since most of the cast was killed off this season.

Other thoughts:

I knew Cato was still alive!

Whatever happened to Mykelti Williamson's character? It seemed like he was only captured by the Native Americans, so I think it's odd that they never picked his story back up. Maybe next season.

The show hasn't done a very good job at depicting the size of the slaves' journey if it was supposed to be 600 miles from the plantation to the safe house. If you had asked me before tonight's episode, I would have said it was something in the 50-75 range.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Underground’ EPs Talk Finale’s Historic Last Scene, Season 2 & Strong Women

DEADLINE: Will the acclaimed abolitionist become a regular character in Season 2 or, with her face hidden in that final scene, is this more of cameo for historical context?

GREEN: She’s definitely going to be a character that’s going to be coming in and out of our series, for sure.

POKASKI: We don’t want to spoil too much, but the analogy we’ve been using is, you can’t tell the story of the Justice League without touching on Superman.

DEADLINE: Speaking of story and real people, Joe, you once said that the extensive research you guys did for Underground has given you seasons and seasons of stories from slave diaries, Library of Congress material and more. I know you guys mapped things out for a potential five seasons so how is Season 2 going to differ from Season 1 with the introduction of the likes of Harriet Tubman?

POKASKI: Misha and I wanted to make sure we kept Season 1 personal, so it was about this group of seven slaves who want to be free. The whole idea within Season 2 is that now we can look at the Underground Railroad more as a network and the first integrated Civil Rights Movement in America. We want to explore the structure of it a little better in the next season, so our world, hopefully it’s going to get a little bigger. And in getting, bigger, there are so many stories all over the place to tell.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Underground Season 2 Casting News

Season 2 of WGN America’s Underground will give a less-blurry face to Harriet Tubman, having cast Under the Dome alum Aisha Hinds in the recurring role of the renowned pioneer, who was glimpsed in silhouette at the close of the May finale.

Additionally for the acclaimed drama’s sophomore run, the excellent Amirah Vann has been promoted to series regular as Ernestine, while Fringe favorite Jasika Nicole is set to recur as Georgia, an abolitionist with a station along the Underground whose quiet confidence hides secrets of her own.

Also recurring for Season 2 are Jesse Luken (Justified) as Smoke, the fearless second in command of Patty Cannon’s infamous gang, and Michael Trotter as Biographer, an astute observer of people.

So due to constant word of mouth, I finally had a chance to binge watch this show this weekend and I LOVED IT. Everything works from the contemporary musical choices to the film editing to give Underground it's own sense of style. I would've never thought that you could turn a slavery story that accurately portrays the horrific brutality enforced within that system and yet be a very thrilling, dare I say fun, and enjoyable tv series. Also kudos for them adding depth to characters I should otherwise completely hate. I mean because they made the slave catcher a fuckin' bad ass. LOL
The way things ended in the season finale, I get the sense Noah and the slave catcher will both escape prison together, and the slave catcher finally comes to terms with the error of his ways.

Anyway, I can't wait for season 2.

Also after watching Underground, I'm glad the team behind this will be the ones behind the Black Wall Street series. Exciting times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom