• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underground - Season 2 - Wednesdays on WGN America

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Underground is back for an all new season beginning Wednesday, March 8 at 10/9c on WGN America! While the first season wasn't perfect, it still offered up a compelling, fast paced, well acted adventure tale about a group of slaves trying to escape their oppressors at a plantation in Georgia circa the 1850s. It's definitely worth checking out and is available for streaming on Hulu.

With the country on the brink of Civil War, the struggle for freedom is more dangerous than ever. 'Underground' tells the story of American heroes and their harrowing journey to freedom, with legendary Harriet Tubman blazing the trail.

Cast

• Rosalee - A formerly timid and sheltered enslaved woman called upon to display untapped courage.
  • Noah - Driven and restless for freedom he's willing to die for.
  • Ernestine - The former head house servant who sacrificed everything to protect her children.
  • Cato - A cunning and calculating character who is always looking out for number one.

• Harriet Tubman - The Underground Railroad's most famous conductor revered for her grit, perseverance and unrelenting will to help scores of enslaved people reach their freedom.
  • Elizabeth - An Ohio socialite turned dedicated abolitionist who is driven by a sense of morality.
  • August - A lone wolf slave catcher who walks a tightrope between morality and survival.
  • Georgia - An abolitionist with a covert station along the Underground whose quiet confidence hides secrets of her own.

Other cast members include:

• Mark Blucas As John
  • DeWanda Wise as Clara
  • John Legend as Frederick Douglass
  • Bokeem Woodbine as Daniel
  • Michael Trotter as Elden
  • Jesse Luken as Smoke
  • Sadie Stratton as Patty

Videos and Links

Breaking Free Special

Season 2 Trailer
Season 2 Teaser
Behind the Scenes: First Look at Season 2

8mIFeUo.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Deadline - ‘Underground’ Season 2 Review: Slave-Era Drama Stronger With Harriet Tubman

With the set-up of Season 1 behind the John Legend EP’d pre-Civil War set show and the aftermath of the Macon 7’s daring escape from Georgia, the new season of Underground shows a distinct maturation into a deeper narrative of the horrors of American slavery as well as the complexities of the series’ main characters.

In short, Season 2 of Underground is excellent and perhaps more pertinent than ever.

Palmer_v1

Forgot about this show!

I should rewatch Season 1, cause I've forgotten a lot of the specifics. It definitely had more action than I expected.

Chris Meloni was fantastic as always.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Damn, that's one way to end an episode! Smart though, because John was one of the weakest links on the show and this will also help to make Elizabeth's arc a lot more interesting going forward.

Anyway, I thought it was a very solid premiere, although I'm annoyed that they haven't fixed the weird editing that makes the show look too 'quick cut-y', for lack of a better term.

I think I'll watch next week's episode. Pretty good writing. Some of the scenes felt off. The shaky cam at the beginning and some of the songs in it weren't used well to me like Beyonce's Freedom. If you're going to play that make sure something epic is going on. It ended up feeling budgeted.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy shit, Rosalee got put through the ringer this week! (But where did that horse come from?) And Ernestine...damn. I thought for sure she was going to get killed for singing that bawdy song in front of those white dudes. (I guess that was her plan though. :/) Thank goodness she's still alive.

Amazing season so far the interstitial modern music drops are blended perfectly. Every episode has had a line of dialogue that is just so pertinent to the era we are living in here in the States.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wow, very audacious of them to dedicate an entire episode to what was essentially one large monologue. Aisha Hinds deserves an Emmy for that performance.

Amir0x

Banned
I still love this show. Surprised the discussion for it is so dead. It's rough around the edges but always a riveting watch.

I just hope they give Rosalee's mom a break from all the tragedy. She can't get any more fucked up from life :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great episode, but c'mon what kind of ending is that?? Rosalee and Georgia get captured and then we just cut to 10 months later? What about Cato searching for Harriet? What became of Ernestine!?

Aghhh -___-

Hope this gets picked up by Hulu or History - the story ended on a cliffhanger, plus, a spy story set during the Civil War is a great premise for season 3.

Oni Jazar

What a sad thread :( I had recorded the episodes to watch them over the summer and it's been really great television.

I just got through watching S2E6 - Minty.

Damn.

I am disappoint GAF, no conversations about this powerful episode? What guts to have an entire one woman show inside this season, but it was so well done in every way. The parallels of injustice and inaction are very evident with modern times but the moment when she turns to face you, the real audience as if speaking through time to my ass on the couch - it was haunting and very impactful.

Amir0x

Banned
I need to watch past episode five of this season that's why I dropped out of discussion..I still love this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom