• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated or Obscure Game Characters you like

KàIRóS

Instead of the usual characters everyone always mentions (Joel, Kratos, Geralt, Leon, Snake, Dante, etc) what character do you like but is never mentioned in these types of threads, maybe it's a sidecharacter, maybe it's the protagonist but the game is not well known, maybe it's a super obscure character that you really like, or maybe it's just downright and underrated character that you wish everyone noticed more.

Here's my 2 cents for now, maybe I'll post more later:

FxQsPjr.jpg

Jack Slate from Dead to Rights franchise, this guy was like the very first proper Anti-hero I ever saw in a videogame, a renegade cop on a revenge mission and he goes all in on it, he's not really that special when put against other videogame anti heroes so I might be a little biased, mind you this was 2002 so one liners were still cool af to stupid young me, nevertheless cool character and even cooler franchise IMO.

9mY0fk0.jpg

Lucca from Chrono Trigger, I've always felt this character is underrated AF, she esentially kickstarts the whole adventure, she's the very first party member and helps Crono almost throughout the whole journey, she's never useless in combat and then by the end you get her tear jerker character arc on why she became a scientist and invited her time traveling machine, making you rethink the whole story in the process, just a well written character in my opinion.

Last edited:
I like Trombone from Megaman Legends.... She was my avatar, but some Gaffer threw shade at me for that a long time ago. I got self conscious and took her down :'(

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Polly the parrot from wasteland 3
I am a big fan of Cuno/Cunoesse (and many other characters) from Disco Elysium, but if we are talking about obscure ones its "Polly the parrot".
Games are full of bad-ass and cool characters, they stop standing out after a while and feel the same, but game charaters that make me laugh especially in otherwise serious games are special because it happens so rarely and no characters ever made laugh more than these 3.

Warning: bad language from the parrot

Last edited:
Kian Alvane from Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters. Started a religious zealot and slowly unravels once the xenophobia and ethnic clensing begins, it was interesting how he reconcile his religion and the people thats in power of said religion.

GrayFoxPL

Instead of the usual characters everyone always mentions (Joel, Kratos, Geralt, Leon, Snake, Dante, etc) what character do you like but is never mentioned in these types of threads, maybe it's a sidecharacter, maybe it's the protagonist but the game is not well known, maybe it's a super obscure character that you really like, or maybe it's just downright and underrated character that you wish everyone noticed more.

Here's my 2 cents for now, maybe I'll post more later:

FxQsPjr.jpg

Jack Slate from Dead to Rights franchise, this guy was like the very first proper Anti-hero I ever saw in a videogame, a renegade cop on a revenge mission and he goes all in on it, he's not really that special when put against other videogame anti heroes so I might be a little biased, mind you this was 2002 so one liners were still cool af to stupid young me, nevertheless cool character and even cooler franchise IMO.

I'm all for Jack Slate, but anti-hero? Nah. ;] As much as anti-hero was Schwarzenegger in Commando or Bruce Willis was in Die Hard or The Last Boy Scout. Maybe I'm too old but good guy killing a bunch of bad guys was always a "hero". But maybe you're right, maybe he's anti-hero now.

Great topic btw.

Back on topic:

SpeMdjf.jpg

0KKzdSe.gif

xwy6gaM.gif

Jack Slate from Dead to Rights

Y0ZXZTQ.jpg

evtsdci.jpg

ghuuMlL.gif

QF4N26E.jpg

Raven from Beat Down

U9h745S.jpg

aUDZHaZ.jpg

1EgE0dA.jpg

yNOPCKv.jpg

Rikimaru from Tenchu

QVZynbK.jpg

yA9HJnj.gif

HtCUOBW.gif

IspXml2.gif

N2hctc9.jpg

540vZPd.gif

Gene God Hand from God Hand

ibZalW4.gif

3cr5Wjj.gif

tek4d9f.jpg

Regina from Dino Crisis

QkwQZhk.jpg

4kDoNEO.jpg

uMBYSIe.gif

pDpRfwX.jpg

Kyle Travers from Final Fight Streetwise

...and many more.

Last edited:

shubik

Plok. Such a weird game with fantastic music and brutal difficulty. But I always thought the design of the character was unique

Zl6THNt.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Something about killing zombified kids breaking her mind or something
She and Cent was just trying use power of her song to help those orphan kids she was taking care of but what she didn’t know was her power comes from the Watchers which was never meant to help humanity.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

She and Cent was just trying use power of her song to help those orphan kids she was taking care of but what she didn’t know was her power comes from the Watchers which was never meant to help humanity.
Man yoko taro really likes killing orphan kids doesn't he?

F31 Leopard

I forgot to put Kaede (Onimusha) in my initial post. I wish capcom utilized her more in the series. We only got a brief gameplay segment in Onimusha.
MngG0gn.jpg

Momiji (Ninja Gaiden/DoA)
She really needs her own NG game.
nVvK3dv.png

Aya (Onechanbara)
dPTrJ8r.jpg

Man, some of you will look back and cringe out of you seat at the threads you've created when you were younger lol.
Too cool for school guy on the...forum about video games lol that's what wont age well.

I like the thread idea OP and I clicked it because I wanted to hear what people said.

Top Bottom