• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undungeon |Kickstarter| Odd Heralds, intricate pixel art, weird sci-fi world

Kickstarter is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...geon-pixelart-action-rpg-with-roguelike-eleme

xsHzIHO.png

===

Been following this one for a while, the pixel art is some of my favorite

http://undungeon.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg0qUBDfks
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/270/undungeon

The Herald moves across a procedurally generated map which is divided into regions related to different worlds. He visit various locations communicating, fighting, and trading with other inhabitants. The Herald desperately explores the environment trying to obeying the call of the Core. Mistakes are not allowed because the score is ruled by permadeath. Although the Core will resurrect the Herald, the old world will be lost forever, and you will have to start the exploration of an absolutely new planet - an equivalent of a new game beginning.

It combines procedural roguelite gameplay with RPG aspects such as dialogue and NPC interactions, and has weird characters to play rather than your typical classes

===

As a player, you act as one of the seven Heralds, each of whom comes from a particular world destroyed by the Shift. The Heralds do not tend to be ordinary characters: they are unique from the perspective of each other as we as compared to common action\RPG heroes. So let's get to know them better
dharma_front_schmaller.gif
exe_anim_F_move_fwd_re.gif
Sarco_float_S_re.gif
tripod_drones.gif
PARsvHA.jpg

Each Herald has a unique pool of objects which is not available to other characters. Consequently, everyone has an exclusive playstyle and development. Besides, each artifact provides an impact on characters' appearance. And since the order and number of objects are totally random, each new trial is characterized by a unique character's look.
dharma_upgrades_front_animation.gif
marduk_upgrades.gif
executor_upgrades.gif

BeeDog

Looks really nice, intrigued. Was ready to jump into this topic and blast yet another indie game for going with pixel art, but this looks really, really good. Differs from other pixel art games, a bit rougher animation-wise etc., but something about it tickles my fancy.

Cool artstyle, pretty awesome character design, intriguing setting, nice music...

...But for fuck's sake, indies, not everything needs to be roguelike. -_-

Decado

Combat and animation looks like it has a long way to go and procedural levels/roguelike...I will need some convincing when it comes out.

But pretty...definitely.

prophecy0

Cool artstyle, pretty awesome character design, intriguing setting, nice music...

Agreed. There have been so many amazing looking indie games that have lost my interest immediately by mentioning the words "roguelike" or "procedurally generated".

I'm going to have to applaud the artists behind this project. The art direction nails that weird sci-fi atmosphere completely, really eyecatching.

HotHamBoy

Agreed. There have been so many amazing looking indie games that have lost my interest immediately by mentioning the words "roguelike" or "procedurally generated".

Hand-crafted content takes way more time and work than creating an algorithm. Indie devs probably see it as a choice between making a very short game or making an infinite game. Considering how much a short playtime impacts the value of a game, the choice is clear for most.

The rogue-like part put me off a bit, but it looks like a lot of stuff actually does carry over and the experience both changes dramatically and is affected by prior play throughs. When it doesn't, that's when I get disinterested.

1upsuper

Wow, this pixel art is great. I love a good rogue-like. I really like challenging RLs that force you to really learn how the games work and don't let you just stumble through. I need a challenge.

Nikodemos

I love the unconventional heroes. Very few such games feature people other than regular human/elves/dwarves/dwarves/etc.

OBTW, there was another pixel art game with similar unconventional pseudo-lovecraftian aesthetics in development. Does anyone know that one's name?

Top Bottom