• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNHCR : Kidnapped girls possibly slaughtered

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICKE

Banned
If nothing, this has demonstrated how useless # activism really is. The bring back our girls campaign gathered support from around the globe but the actual impact on the ground was just worth nothing. The girls are gone, they are either dead or have been given to various people as wives.

An official of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Mr. Raad Zeid al Hussein, believes that the over 200 Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram a year ago may have had a sad ending.

He premised his verdict on the fact that the girls may have been part of the women who were murdered by the insurgents before they fled from Bama and other towns in Borno State just before the Nigerian military and allied forces from Chad and Niger recovered the territories.

Scores of abducted women who had been forcibly married by Boko Haram fighters were slaughtered last month as the military advanced towards Bama and other towns to recapture the territories.

Eyewitnesses said that the women were killed by the insurgents to prevent them from getting remarried to what they termed “infidels” after their release.

Aligning with the report on the murder of scores of women, Al Hussein said last week that Boko Haram murdered people who were captives, including women and girls who were taken as “wives” in their flight against the advancing forces.

According to the senior official with the UNHCR, various reports which arrived at his department in Geneva showed that the recent recovery of territories in northeastern Nigeria “has brought to light macabre scenes of mass graves and more obvious signs of killings by Boko Haram”.

These reports include the “...murder of the wives of combatants, women and girls actually held in slavery,” he said without elaborating.

STORY

Was this even an issue during the elections? It just feels like no one really cared about these women beyond official statements or what have you.

wildfire

Banned
On one hand I hope some actually did survive. On the other hand I wonder how they could possibly recover because their survival would most likely depend on their captors.

Toxi

Banned
Was this even an issue during the elections? It just feels like no one really cared about these women beyond official statements or what have you.
The women were killed when the military was about to recapture the areas they were in.

I'm not sure what could have been done.

commedieu

Banned
The women were killed when the military was about to recapture the areas they were in.

I'm not sure what could have been done.

we've been uselessly killing people in the middle east for some time now. Could at least give it a shot, its not as if success is something the worlds military machine now needs to define it.

Lime

There was a great article about how the campaign only made negotiations even more difficult. I can't find it now though.

dc89

It's about time the UN got together and get an action plan nailed down to deal with these radicals who are destroying lives, countries and tarnishing the name of a religion millions practice peacefully.
The same goes for IS.

An official of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Mr. Raad Zeid al Hussein, believes that the over 200 Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram a year ago may have had a sad ending.

A sad ending?

A bit of an understatement.

Yagharek

There was a great article about how the campaign only made negotiations even more difficult. I can't find it now though.

I don't imagine boko haram are easy to deal with on any given day, with or without campaigns.

The blame lies entirely with those psychopathic fundamentalist arseholes.

Internet activism helps bring a lot of awareness but most people believe that's all it takes when it reality you have to do something more than just be conscious of the issue.

iceatcs

Didn't they join ISIS?

yep, they have no choice cos they are much weaker than even before.
Quite of reveal that most of their people include a leader went Saudi's uni. Something going on with Saudi Arabia.

Funny that they still think the world is not sphere and rain made by God, not evaporation.

ICKE

Banned
Many if not most of the girls were Muslim. So what is the logic if these guys are supposedly doing this with an Islamic agenda?

Chibok is a Christian village so one would assume it's the other way around.

Christians are probably the world's most persecuted religious group at the moment. The ancient communities in Iraq and Syria and minorities in specific African regions among other places. This latest development frustrates me, because so many politicians across Europe and in the US took part in the campaign but nothing was done. Feels like it was just political posturing.

I don't think it would've mattered if there were some Muslim girls or not, if Boko Haram have joined ISIS(who not only terrorize non-Muslims, but OTHER Muslims), it doesn't seem like "being a Muslim" is a safe card to them. With terror groups like them, it's more about the, "If you don't worship Islam the way WE say you should, then you're against us!".

Skyzard

Banned
I remember not long ago watching a video (vocal helicopter sounds) on gaf of the boko haram leader declaring about 20 groups not real Muslims and that they would defeat them... What's the connection to isis?
I didn't think isis intended to spread to West Africa - I mean it's in their name.

Maybe they plan on helping each other sell oil...I remember reading boko haram has so far avoided pipelines though. I dunno.

Worth noting Obama refused to sell Nigeria weapons to deal with BH and stated that it can't sell arms to foreign states that commit gross human rights violations (referring to treatment of captured boko haram).
-While the girls were kidnapped they also stopped buying oil from Nigeria, stomping their economy and ability to deal with the terrorists. Nigeria responded by cancelling training missions with the US they had scheduled.

Lime

Ours? No its not.

You're not understanding me correctly.

If you are going to engage with someone, it is your own responsibility to make sure that you take the best course of actions.

By choosing to participate in this conflict, it is desireable to know how to best deal with the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom