• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unidentified Submerged Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Blitz2o said:
"Another extraordinary incident was reported in the international press on November 11th, 1972. Again, what is described as a fast moving 'submarine', is detected off the west coast of Norway in the Sognefjord, the world's second longest fjord, and pursued for two weeks. A fleet of surface ships and specifically equipped 'sub-hunter' helicopters are assembled to find the object but it is only nine days later when the unidentified submerged object is seen visually; a massive cigar shaped object emerging from the waters. A navy ship was reported to have fired at it leading to the craft to again submerge before depth charges were dropped. The navy devised a blockade to trap the USO but they never found it again. Bjarne Grimstvedt, inspector general of the Royal Norwegian Navy, who led the hunt, claimed in 2005 that no foreign submarine was ever identified."

Captain Nemo I bet.

Or Sean Connery.

Velti

Neo Member
Why not? The universe is freaky, mang.

It's fun to imagine we're living alongside a freakishly reclusive civilization hanging out in the Pacific trenches or some such rot.

Interesting and relevant.

What really strikes my fancy are the "Quackers." WTF, mates?? That this sort of thing remains unexplained just drives me up the wall.. I wanna know! UGH.

EDIT: For the lazy, the Quacker phenomenon was observed during the cold war by various Russian subs and characterized by the presence of agile, unknown objects that appeared to behave in an intelligent manner, emitting frog-like sounds. Sonar never read them. The sightings started slow, grew in frequency and range, then totally stopped. Russia even put together an investigative commission because they feared it was a national security risk.

Do modern subs include external cameras, now? They should go check that area out, just so we can see if it was giant squid or WHAT.

TUSR

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
The idea that world leaders are secret reptilians is silly. Everyone knows they hide in New York sewers and order tons of Pizza

But you obviously believe in tall greys right?

Squire Felix said:
But you obviously believe in tall greys right?

Surprisingly I haven't given much thought to the alleged occupants of these objects. But note, they are generally characterised as short (child-like figures) rather than tall. Not sure if it was intentional on your part, but your wording of that question seemed to imply an equivalence between belief in greys and the idea of world leaders being reptilian.

Apath

Meus Renaissance said:
Surprisingly I haven't given much thought to the alleged occupants of these objects. But note, they are generally characterised as short (child-like figures) rather than tall. Not sure if it was intentional on your part, but your wording of that question seemed to imply an equivalence between belief in greys and the idea of world leaders being reptilian.
They are both equally credible in my eyes.

Blitz2o said:
"Another extraordinary incident was reported in the international press on November 11th, 1972. Again, what is described as a fast moving 'submarine', is detected off the west coast of Norway in the Sognefjord, the world's second longest fjord, and pursued for two weeks. A fleet of surface ships and specifically equipped 'sub-hunter' helicopters are assembled to find the object but it is only nine days later when the unidentified submerged object is seen visually; a massive cigar shaped object emerging from the waters. A navy ship was reported to have fired at it leading to the craft to again submerge before depth charges were dropped. The navy devised a blockade to trap the USO but they never found it again. Bjarne Grimstvedt, inspector general of the Royal Norwegian Navy, who led the hunt, claimed in 2005 that no foreign submarine was ever identified."

Captain Nemo I bet.
Should have fired at, would somebody please fire at these things.

One of the reasons I wanted to talk specifically about USOs is that they are incompatible with the common given explanations of weather phenomena, conventional aircraft and celestial objects we see for UFOs. But they are identical in the characteristics and behaviour of UFOs leading some to propose that they are one and the same. Question is, what rational explanation could there be for these particular kinds of sightings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oKSujCvoPwA#t=1643s

Interesting post, tons of data. Not a post I expected to find in OT over here (but I suppose why not). I wish we could have more information on sightings like this, though I expect an explanation for some sightings is an expectation or a sight desired, I consider also that so many can not be wrong on all levels. My father claimed he saw a UFO once in fact. He's not one for these sort of thoughts even, rather skeptical. Though I have never observed anything remotely similar to these kinds of instances in my life.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No it doesn't.

If they can manage interstellar travel they can probably take 60 billion megapixel photos from cameras the size of flies.

Thinking they have to physically come here and see things with their own eyes is ridiculous, and makes sense.

No camera can adequately represent the cosmic glory of exploring a hillbilly's rectal canal.

No camera can adequately represent the cosmic glory of exploring a hillbilly's rectal canal.

KuGsj.gif

The straight up dismissal of USOs by many in this thread shits me right off. There are no doubt a great many things in our oceans we aren't aware of.

Instead of looking at documented cases and postulating, they are throwing down pithy conspiracy theory jokes.

Phoenix

One of the reasons I wanted to talk specifically about USOs is that they are incompatible with the common given explanations of weather phenomena, conventional aircraft and celestial objects we see for UFOs. But they are identical in the characteristics and behaviour of UFOs leading some to propose that they are one and the same. Question is, what rational explanation could there be for these particular kinds of sightings?

There are all sorts of effects between the surface and subsurface world that aren't heavily investigated (likely because they are just boring to most people). There were ships lost that people thought must have been sea monsters or Bermuda Triangle aliens, but there were then discoveries of mass gas releases from the ocean floor that would result in taking down ships due to the pressure. Its likely that some uninvestigated phenomena could explain these events, but nobody cares enough to warrant a highly visible broadcast about it. We are more interested in hearing that NASA has found other Earths out there than we are that underwater volcanoes are doing weird things.

Or... it could be

CrabPeople.png

The straight up dismissal of USOs by many in this thread shits me right off. There are no doubt a great many things in our oceans we aren't aware of.

Instead of looking at documented cases and postulating, they are throwing down pithy conspiracy theory jokes.

I think I'll just stop with them now. I'm tired of asking people to stop trolling or asking for mods to intervene. The majority of GAF have no interest in this beside seeing it as an opportunity to crack jokes. In some threads, there are more memes than actual comments - it went to the point where a Mod had to actually delete posts just to give the page some semblance to a message-board as opposed to an image gallery. Anyone who wants to talk about the topic can just PM me

I think I'll just stop with them now. I'm tired of asking people to stop trolling or asking for mods to intervene. The majority of GAF have no interest in this beside seeing it as an opportunity to crack jokes. In some threads, there are more memes than actual comments - it went to the point where a Mod had to actually delete posts just to give the page some semblance to a message-board as opposed to an image gallery. Anyone who wants to talk about the topic can just PM me

Well what did you expect when you post a conspiracy theory thread in a forum dominated with computer geeks and engineers? You didn't even bother to provide a link to your source.

Fusebox

Banned
We did a better job at creating a webpage in my first hour of HTML class...

To be fair, the quality of the web page has no relationship with the information contained on it. Unless for some inexplicable reason you only trust UFO sightings from experienced web-designers.

You didn't even bother to provide a link to your source.

On four separate occasions within two pages, including the OP, I specifically underline the premise of the discussion; it is an invitation for opinions to this type of UFO. It's not advocating or discussing a conspiracy theory - this is separate. Intrigue in sightings, I think, is universal irrespective of your stance on the validity of the extraterrestrial hypothesis.

In regards to your complaint about sources, I've already addressed that early on in the first page here and here. I then gave an example of these sources here

I hope thats helpful.

akira28

I like the subject matter, and GAF would be surprised at how many engineers and scientists trawl, not troll, the UFO/Paranormal boards. (Not the 24/7 conspiracy stuff, because it gets old, but just asking the question, and taking shots in the dark.) But GAF is mainly young cats, petulant, and quick to be derisive, so if you're going to bring up controversial subject matter, expecting them to be sober and polite along with their skepticism is probably expecting too much.

That said, there are threads where UFO events have been discussed, but they're stuck in the same category as copypasta stories like 'slender man' and 'black eyed kids'. And stories about haunted Zelda game saves. So..yeah. Consider the demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom