• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity Claims PlayStation, Xbox & Nintendo Will Pay Its New Runtime Fee On Behalf Of Devs

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo:

ezgif-4-305757796csidwg.gif

StereoVsn

I don't see how. Any client that is under 100k in sales get to use the unity license for free. If there's too many clients under 100k they would just lower the threshold to 75k$ or whatever.

This is more of an attempt at a new revenue stream.

How does unity make money? Subscriptions to its software.(basically)

Why do they feel that isn't sufficient now? Less subscribers or the fear of it.

Why less subs? Basically instead of tons of game devs companies buying, they fear a huge gaming consolidation wave coming, where they are selling subs to only a handful of corporations.

That's my best guess anyway.
Subs are based on user sales. So Genshin installs 20 mil copies but only 5000 whales pay for it (ignore these Numbers, just an example), Unity would get paid for 5K sales but not for the other millions of users.

That's why they want to change to charge per install.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Expecting a "We hear you loud and clear..." statement coming out soon from them.
But one followed by new terms that will still be worse than the terms devs had last week before this all started

I really think this is going to blow back hard on unity. People are just going to get away from using it in general moving forward, which is the exact opposite of what they want.

Remember what happened when CDPR said everyone could get a refund for Cyberpunk, before consulting with Sony?
I had to deal with Sony's costumers service in the earlier 2010 and it was the worst, maybe behind just Nintendo
When I saw CDProject announcing that people should ask for refunds directly to Sony I knew things would get ugly LMAO

Live company suicide is always fun to watch. No way in hell any storefront will pay for that on "developers' behalf", especially PlayStation.

Goodbye Unity, it was nice knowing you, I guess.
Why especially playstation? Nintendo the company that shuts down any fan projects and is making some Canadian guy pay 30% of his salary for the rest of his life.

Or you have successfully bought into MS being the pro consumer choice LOL.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
"Entity that distributes the runtime" could mean anything.

I'm assuming it means the publisher, or the indie developer in case there's no publisher.

If it's really responsability of the storefront which the software is distributed at, then I assume they will simply discount some % from the developer every time a user purchases a game.

That may be more complicated for F2P games with microtransactions and ads though.
But I assume in that scenario they can use this to get rid of the fee:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It is probably more likely that MS/Sony/Nintendo already knew about these price hikes. Since Unity is passing the cost through the platform holder this is probably a way of reducing the amount of revenue that studios (read AA and below) will collect from subscription platforms.

“We want to make your game a huge success and our platform has 30 million subscribers. We will have to account for the install fee since your game is using Unity but we will absorb most* of that for you”

Meanwhile they already have a backend deal with unity to offset some of these install costs.

A very pessimistic take I know but I wouldn’t count it out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It is probably more likely that MS/Sony/Nintendo already knew about these price hikes. Since Unity is passing the cost through the platform holder this is probably a way of reducing the amount of revenue that studios (read AA and below) will collect from subscription platforms.

“We want to make your game a huge success and our platform has 30 million subscribers. We will have to account for the install fee since your game is using Unity but we will absorb most* of that for you”

Meanwhile they already have a backend deal with unity to offset some of these install costs.

A very pessimistic take I know but I wouldn’t count it out.

From what I've heard, they were blindsided by this.

Top Bottom