• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers Announce they will abandon Unity Engine if company doesn't reverse price changes

Draugoth

Gold Member
Developers of free-to-play games (which have a much higher install rate than premium titles) will have the option to offset this fee by adopting other Unity services, such as its LevelPlay advertising mediation service.
Unity stated in a blog that it is implementing the Runtime Fee in lieu of a revenue-sharing program. The company said it believes "an install-based fee allows creators to keep the ongoing financial gains from player engagement."
As for why Unity has chosen to introduce these new fees, Unity Create president Marc Whitten told Game Developer the company is seeking to "better balance the value exchange" between Unity and developers.

As you may expect, this has turned into a mini-shitstorm quick, and got Unity trending on twitter, with devs sounding off:

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
recap bachelorette GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got to remember Unity is losing a lot of money for years. They are basically subsidizing all the studios making games where the current licensing fees and extra software tool fees (I had to google it) arent enough. Thats why they are adding this 20 cent fee.

By the sounds of it, it seems like before this new fee a studio can use Unity for free as long as you dont hit a certain threshold of sales. But once you hit a higher tier or add on premium services then you got fees. It looks like whatever revenue they get now isnt enough. The company has been losing $100s of million per year for years.

If this new fee isnt a good idea, what other ideas are there to raise more revenue to offset costs while keeping this service widely available for free or cheap for devs?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got to remember Unity is losing a lot of money for years. They are basically subsidizing all the studios making games where the current licensing fees and extra software tool fees (I had to google it) arent enough. Thats why they are adding this 20 cent fee.

By the sounds of it, it seems like before this new fee a studio can use Unity for free as long as you dont hit a certain threshold of sales. But once you hit a higher tier or add on premium services then you got fees. It looks like whatever revenue they get now isnt enough. The company has been losing $100s of million per year for years.

If this new fee isnt a good idea, what other ideas are there to raise more revenue to offset costs while keeping this service widely available for free or cheap for devs?
The per unit cost destroying sub deals seems like a poorly conceived policy since devs dont usually get paid on subs per download. They made it sound like it'll charge devs even in cases of piracy which is insane.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Increase the normal fee, different tax politics for f2p and subscription services, there were tons of other possibilities to increase revenue.

The main issue with this install fee is not simply the money but how its completely nonsensical in practical scenarios. The whole thing stinks of out-of-touch executives patting each other's back and powerpoints.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

How can they keep track of every offline install? and reinstall?
I don't think it included demos and gamepass\ps+ could have exceptions.
I wonder if it's every PURCHASED game that's not part of ps+\pass.

If it's literally every install relating to the game then LMAO! Someone snorted a line, drank the stank, and smoked the wrong green to think this was remotely a good idea.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How can they keep track of every offline install? and reinstall?
I don't think it included demos and gamepass\ps+ could have exceptions.
I wonder if it's every PURCHASED game that's not part of ps+\pass.

If it's literally every install relating to the game then LMAO! Someone snorted a line, drank the stank, and smoked the wrong green to think this was remotely a good idea.
Their target for this policy was monetizing better on F2P mobile games that usually don't have "unit sales" and have only a small number of players putting large amounts of money into the game. Under the previous license, I believe they were only charged per paying customer, so a lot of these F2P mobile games had a big reach and Unity wasn't getting their fair cut (according to them).

So their new policy says "ok, you can make a F2P mobile game using Unity, but we're gonna charge you $0.20 for every download". The backlash is coming from a) developers who make F2P mobile games who think this is ridiculous and b) people who make traditional PC or console games with Unity that are now being charged per install instead of per sale.

DaGwaphics

Didn't know that. Obviously they run a business and have to bring in some money. I'm sure a ton of the games created with it never make the thresholds required, looks like this new method would at least ensure than everyone releasing commercial games will contribute.

supernova8

Banned
Can they not just take a cut of total MTX revenue from those F2P games? I'm not a developer so I'm probably not aware of the full story (please do tell me if so), but I don't see an issue with them wanting to get paid if a developer uses their engine and makes money from it. Seems... fair..?

Just for context (for the uninformed like me), can someone kindly give us a rundown of:

1) what Unity's current business (revenue structure) model
2) what options (engines) developers have if they do follow through with their threat to abandon Unity?

I have an idea: stop chasing Unreal and focus on being a (Indie)game engine.

They bought Weta and just announced new tools for VFX studios to use Unity. Fuck off, not even Unreal get used in regular VFX pipelines (except for the rare cases of Epic sponsored VFX shots, so they can advertise with it).

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

So, this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Unity?

Well, damn..

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Can they not just take a cut of total MTX revenue from those F2P games? I'm not a developer so I'm probably not aware of the full story (please do tell me if so), but I don't see an issue with them wanting to get paid if a developer uses their engine and makes money from it. Seems... fair..?

Just for context (for the uninformed like me), can someone kindly give us a rundown of:

1) what Unity's current business (revenue structure) model
2) what options (engines) developers have if they do follow through with their threat to abandon Unity?
1) Current revenue structure is based around license costs (the cost for a studio to provide a Unity seat for each developer) and their Unity Ads platform. You can also access "Free" versions of Unity currently, however you can only use that free version until your company/software passes a set sales number.
2) This depends. Most people will be quick to say Unreal Engine 5, but regardless of being UE5 or not, this is going to be a massive hit to development teams. The amount of time it takes a team to move from one engine to the next can be manageable if you have a small team. This quickly becomes difficult when your team climbs into and beyond the double digits.

In this new deal, they raise the price on some of the licenses they provide (Unity Industry & Unity Plus) and take a revenue cut based off of installs on the entertainment side in the new model. Essentially creating another "publisher tax". A set amount that some platforms like google and steam take from the profits your games create for the developers.

I literally had a call with an rep at Unity 2 weeks ago and they told us about the Unity Industry change and that there was a change coming to the gaming side as well. They were up front about the Unity Industry change, but didn't share the 'deets on the gaming changes. I don't envy those "Partner Relations" folks right now.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wow
Completely out of touch, especially for those Gamepass titles. Just torpedoes whatever revenue model you had before.

What was the previous fee structure for Unity?

Edit:
Answered
1) Current revenue structure is based around license costs (the cost for a studio to provide a Unity seat for each developer) and their Unity Ads platform. You can also access "Free" versions of Unity currently, however you can only use that free version until your company/software passes a set sales number.

Last edited:

Doomtrain

This sucks. I’ve released indie projects in Unity and I have more in the pipeline, some of which I’ve been working on for years. The studio I work for also uses Unity for a significant number of its games. Royalties, I can understand, but charging by the install is insane and incredibly open to abuse.

Also, to the “fuck Unity, I hope it burns” people: potentially losing years of work, as an indie, is devastating. You’re not sticking it to the man with comments like that. You’re sticking it to indies who are doing this out of genuine passion to make games they love.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dang a bunch of indie games I was into use Unity. Valheim probably the most prominent that isn't done yet.

supernova8

Banned
2) This depends. Most people will be quick to say Unreal Engine 5, but regardless of being UE5 or not, this is going to be a massive hit to development teams. The amount of time it takes a team to move from one engine to the next can be manageable if you have a small team. This quickly becomes difficult when your team climbs into and beyond the double digits.

In this new deal, they raise the price on some of the licenses they provide (Unity Industry & Unity Plus) and take a revenue cut based off of installs on the entertainment side in the new model. Essentially creating another "publisher tax". A set amount that some platforms like google and steam take from the profits your games create for the developers.

I literally had a call with an rep at Unity 2 weeks ago and they told us about the Unity Industry change and that there was a change coming to the gaming side as well. They were up front about the Unity Industry change, but didn't share the 'deets on the gaming changes. I don't envy those "Partner Relations" folks right now.
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated!
You Are Awesome GIF

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PSA: While this does affect many great games, I would say in particular Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew was made with Unity and the developer is also the publisher and they already announced they are closing down, only giving this one game support. However, if Unity goes through with this, I'm not sure how badly it will hurt them on the way out. They might take the game down. I was thinking of getting it to give them farewell support but a bit later since this year is so packed with games, yet with this Unity annoucement it may be best to help them now, so I just picked it up at GOG.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Silksong is using Unity isn't it. No way they're gonna drop that game around the time this goes into effect.

They could always port it to another engine, and as stupid as that sounds, it's better than enduring this policy.
I also feel I don't know enough, so, there is that, too. ;)

Top Bottom