• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Apps including Rise of the Tomb Raider have limitations on Windows Store

JaggedSac

Which makes your choice of Fable Legends being a proof of that bizarre, because Fable Legends is an Unreal Engine 4 title.
Like, UWA has literally nothing to do with it.

You know what makes things easier? Standard implementations. SDKs. APIs provided to you. That is what MS has done in the UWP. If it was super easy for everyone to implement without MS APIs, you would see cross saves for pc and consoles more often. Parties and messaging going cross platform. But you don't. Rocket League as an example. Those two communities are only linked by an ability to match make. One could say that MS should make these things available to all devs, but then we are getting back to wanting to push their store and their own services.

LordRaptor

Nobody is questioning that MS allowing access to the Live APIs to all developers would allow all developers to implement cross platform functionality between the Xbox One and the PC.

I mean, if they really wanted that they could just make those APIs part of the DirectX suite.

None of that has anything to with UWAs. You don't even have automatic access to the Live APIs as a UWA developer - its why you don't get any gamerscore for playing Candy Crush Saga though the Windows 10 Store.

JaggedSac

Nobody is questioning that MS allowing access to the Live APIs to all developers would allow all developers to implement cross platform functionality between the Xbox One and the PC.

I mean, if they really wanted that they could just make those APIs part of the DirectX suite.

None of that has anything to with UWAs. You don't even have automatic access to the Live APIs as a UWA developer - its why you don't get any gamerscore for playing Candy Crush Saga though the Windows 10 Store.

Well, of course they aren't going to allow any Tom, Dick, or Harry to have access to all Live APIs. I'm sure if the folks making Candy Crush cared about cheevos, they would have contacted MS and MS would have said sure, why not.

Of course they could make it a part of DirectX, but then they want to push UWP, so that is the reason.

Regardless, the whole point of that discussion was regarding the fact that UWP allows for those things to be done easier. That is the here and now. Saying it could be done somewhere else is irrelevant.

You still need to be enrolled in ID@Xbox to access LiVE APIs, and are then beholden to certification processes and reviews. Most Devs just won't find that worth the hastle I imagine.

LordRaptor

Well, of course they aren't going to allow any Tom, Dick, or Harry to have access to all Live APIs.

Meanwhile Valve offer all Steamworks APIs to anyone who shells out the $80 or whatever it is to pay the Greenlight submission fee.
Cross platform integration, achievements, cloud saves, marketplace support, the works.

JaggedSac

Meanwhile Valve offer all Steamworks APIs to anyone who shells out the $80 or whatever it is to pay the Greenlight submission fee.
Cross platform integration, achievements, cloud saves, marketplace support, the works.

Why isn't Rocket League cross platform in a way other than matchmaking with PS4? It is on Steam.

Also, are all Greenlight submissions allowed to release as long as they adhere to the guidelines put forth by the Steam marketplace?

Synth

Which makes your choice of Fable Legends being a proof of that bizarre, because Fable Legends is an Unreal Engine 4 title.
Like, UWA has literally nothing to do with it.

I used Fable Legends as an example. You can pick anything they've announced (let's say Killer Instinct instead). The point being that they're not generally talking about Candy Crush Saga when discussing porting between Xbox One and Windows 10 as a single platform.

? You clearly said "but MS says universal apps are providing cross platform experiences for games like Fable Legends. "
You don't need UWA to "provide cross platform experiences". This is a fact.

If I provide you with a loaf of bread right now, that doesn't mean I'm the only one the only one that could have... it may be easier for me though, because I was already holding it at the time. There is pretty much nothing in terms of software that has to be provided in any specific manner. That we have entirely different OS' makes that pretty obvious. This would be like saying if MS and Apple unified their platforms so every Windows game could work on OSX, it'd mean fuck all, because it's entirely possible to port to OSX today.

JaggedSac

Because Valve have no control over PSN APIs.

Aye, there's the rub.

Also, Greenlit games have to be up-voted to release. That is not the case with a UWA. So a gate greater than the current $20 would be absolutely necessary to access Live APIs in my opinion. Certainly necessary to keep cheevos in check.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq#developers

What if my game never gets accepted?

Currently your game will remain on Steam Greenlight unless you decide to take it down.

JaggedSac

UWA apps have to pass MS cert, and they will also not in any way help Xbox One owners cross play with PS4 owners

Of course, but cert is something that anyone can pass. You just have to abide by the guidelines. It doesn't require a system of voting to allow you to release on the platform. It is practically open to everyone with an idea, $20, and some programming knowledge.

Ok, so if there is going to be true, fully featured cross platform compatibility between console and PC it will have to come from Sony and MS. MS has provided theirs and provided it in the UWP. That is the here and now.

Top Bottom