• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University ignores warnings about Milo, leaving him free to bully trans student

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point, if he can't say what he really thinks, than why should he have an account at all?
I think the person seems pretty shitty, but that's not how it works. People keep their mouths shut in tons of things. If they didn't, society probably wouldn't function at all. Restraining your speech is not a bad thing in a lot of situations.

Again, not really defending the person - maybe mods will ban them for that or for making similar implications at some point, maybe not - I'm just saying that trying to make an argument like that is silly.

Fuck him, but I still have issues with the idea of no platforming.

Edit: having read more I would acknowledge that this case is different due to the harassment. In general however I stand by the fact that no platforming at universities is somewhat silly. Universities should promote debate and people should question these people rather than stop them from speaking.

There is nothing to debate with this man about, and he's not interested in, nor capable of, having a debate with a differentiating viewpoint. His sole interest is spewing hate. If we'e going to give him an equal platform as someone who actually has something to say we might as well give flat-earthers one too, and the people who believe Elvis is still alive, or 9/11 Truthers. At least they wouldn't be as likely to bully a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom