• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Colorado professor: Victims in World Trade Center not "innocent."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Che

Banned
Inumaru said:
Don't know that that's a bias that needs feeding. It's widely accepted that academics in general tend to be liberals, and there's certainly a disproportionate number of leftists, Marxists, and other "-ists" of one extreme persuasion or another. Not all, of course, but it's a generalization that isn't far from the truth. My public University experience was certainly no different.

Anyway, what do you expect from a professor of "Cultural Studies" who titles his essay after one of Malcolm X's most infamous quotes? Wonder if he's a practicing member of the Nation of Islam? Certainly wouldn't surprise me.

Isn't it funny that most well-educated people are liberals and -ists, while most dirty stupid uncultured rednecks are conservatives? As for the "professor" he's an idiot. He's generalizing like the idiots who say that all muslims are evil, all americans are ignorant etc etc. Of course there were some corporate bastards who deserved to die in there, but hey, let's bomb the whole planet to exterminate them all.

skip

Che said:
Isn't it funny that most well-educated people are liberals and -ists, while most dirty stupid uncultured rednecks are conservatives? As for the "professor" he's an idiot. He's generalizing like the idiots who say that all muslims are evil, all americans are ignorant etc etc. Of course there were some corporate bastards who deserved to die in there, but hey, let's bomb the whole planet to exterminate them all.

yeah, they're totally abnoxious.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
For the record, college attendance is evenly split between liberal and conservative these days, although there is indeed an antiintellectual trend among conservatives.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
bishoptl said:
Then stay on track. And quit whining about your lack of coherent phrasing, it's becoming tiresome.

You're the one that whined about my "phrasing"-- now 4 times. Nobody else said anything about it, and levious knew what I was talking about. You still haven't answered my original question. You sound like someone who has lost an argument on the merits and resorts to procedural minutiae.

You really don't have a clue how much America has meddled with other countries, do you
How much did America "meddle" in Egypt? What did Mohammed Atta know about American meddling in his native Egypt that spurred him to end his life in suicidal mass murder? Please enlighten me.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Guileless said:
You're the one that whined about my "phrasing"-- now 4 times. Nobody else said anything about it, and levious knew what I was talking about. You still haven't answered my original question.
For fuck's sake - you've been told. Twice now. Take some time off and learn how to:

1. read
2. comprehend

They do teach those skills at Ole Miss, don't they?

Xenon

following this dudes logic everyone can be culpable for everything.

Canada's economy is benefited from its relationship to the US. Shouldn't they be held responsible helping support the evil empire? If you are going to attack people for being part of something then where do you draw that line? Shit if you bought an electronic product and traced it creation down components, I'm sure you'll find that somebody's back was broke or life was ruined to make it more affordable for you. Do you think of what that persons life is like and how you are taking advantage of them when you pick up your $79 DVD player? Should that person’s relative kill you for what you did to him?

"Reap what you sow" thats just a nice way of saying paybacks a bitch, in this case. I would agree if they were the people responsible for making the decision that brought about the terrorist act. MAYBE THAT WOULD FUCKING HOLD AN ONCE OF WATER. As it stands the people who died were people who just trying to make through the life they were born into. If you and everyone you know participate in this cushy world of consumption that we live in, then according to your own logic you all deserve to die!

nahhhh we'll just draw that line at the American border. Oh yeah didn’t some of you go to school in the US? Hmmmm did all that blood on those books gets your hands messy? So roll up your righteous indignation into a nice little cylinder, take it, and go fuck yourself!

Canadians… shhheesh.[/donger]

Xenon your analysis would hold water IF and only IF Canada was the de facto symbol of Democracy and Capatilism it isn't we the US hold that title. That attack was symbolic, nothing you don't already know. But, hitting Canada would be like Bin Laden crashing a plane in any ghetto in the US. No one would care.

Xenon

IF Canada was the de facto symbol of Democracy

Somehow I dont think the world or our attackers views the US this way. Correct me if Im wrong. But did you just say the the terrorist were attacking DEMOCRACY? WOW You should head up to the Bush PR team they need you

But, hitting Canada would be like Bin Laden crashing a plane in any ghetto in the US. No one would care.

Oh yeah thats right because black people live there..... :MEGAFUCKINGROLLEYES how about some poor trailer park. Nah thems ignorant, racist, bible thumpin, gay haten white people

Like how you cut out capitalism, cute. The way you are editing out content makes it seem like you are going for Bush PR tryout team.

I don't use Democracy in the same way the President does. It is simply the type of society that allows people to live pretty much as they want.

I'm thinking more about it's a poor community and poor communities don't garner much sympthay. However when Al Queda does start attacking the inner city you give me a call. I'd gladly pay on that bet.

Your arguement is bollocks yeah we could macromap every produdt to it's base level and attack there but, the bottom line American is the symbol of Democracy and Capitalism it is our forgien policy that moves the world. Everyone follows our lead and if you want to harm an idea or a movement you go for it's leader and that would be us. That's the price of being first and best everyone wants to take you down.

Xenon

ehh sorry quick copy and paste. But still even with Capitalism in there its still what the Bush camp has been saying.

Also Im not attacking their reasons for doing it or choice of targets anyway. Im attacking people saying that the one who died in the WTC somehow deserved it.

Xenon said:
. Im attacking people saying that the people in the WTC somehow deserved it.

Oh I don't disagree with you on this. Here's the thing "they" hate us because we were born to the winning team ok that's fine you can hate me for that and you can wish me and want me dead. That's fine, but don't feel bad when I get you first.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Xenon said:
"Reap what you sow" thats just a nice way of saying paybacks a bitch, in this case. I would agree if they were the people responsible for making the decision that brought about the terrorist act. MAYBE THAT WOULD FUCKING HOLD AN ONCE OF WATER. As it stands the people who died were people who just trying to make through the life they were born into. If you and everyone you know participate in this cushy world of consumption that we live in, then according to your own logic you all deserve to die!

nahhhh we'll just draw that line at the American border. Oh yeah didn’t some of you go to school in the US? Hmmmm did all that blood on those books gets your hands messy? So roll up your righteous indignation into a nice little cylinder, take it, and go fuck yourself!

Canadians… shhheesh.[/donger]
What are you babbling about?

I said in my very first post that the professor's musings re: the WTC victims was completely out of line! You another Ole Miss student?

Idiot.

Shinobi

Guileless said:
Nicaraguans and Cubans aren't crashing planes into buildings; people from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Egypt did it. Egpyt receives billions in foreign aid, and Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia's) very existence was ensured by the American military. The hijackers were mostly well-off, well-traveled people.

At what point should some prior US Secretary of State, if he had enjoyed the insight and foreknowledge that y'all are demonstrating in this thread, pushed away from his desk and said, "well, if we continue to do this we should expect suicide bombers to crash planes into buildings."

You know, I could flip this around. At what point should the Japanese minister of defense have pushed away from his desk and said "well if we drop these bombs on Pearl Harbour, we should expect two of our cities to get anhiliated by something called atomic bombs in three years"?

Or let's take another example. At what point should the freckle faced kid with the bare arms and short shorts pulled away from the tree and said to himself "well if I keep rattling this hive around with my stick, bees are gonna come out and sting my ass"?

The point is that the US has done nothing but rattle hives with their sticks for 50 years. And when you do that, you're gonna get stung. How and where you get stung is of no consequence, but it's going to happen.

The pilots may well have used missle launchers to take out some planes, similiar to one that might've taken down flight TWA #800 several years ago (yeah I know, it was really an engine malfunction that blew an entire airline up...ignore the witnesses). But they didn't have those means. So they used their cunning and came up with this...an attack that cost little money, that couldn't really be stopped, and couldn't really be anticipiated (though they actually were at least a couple years prior to 9/11). But really, it doesn't matter how they were going to strike back...only a complete fool could've believed that retaliation wasn't inevitable. Alas, the US has been run by nothing but fools for 50 years.

bishoptl said:
Hollywood, if the terrorists could attack the people they hold most responsible, they would. But they can't hit the top government officials (attack on the Pentagon aside), so they go after the available targets - like Margaret Hassan, who previously to this bullshit junket was living in Iraq for 30 years, providing care and support to poor Iraqis. Regular folks like you and I working at the WTC. People going to work on at a train terminal in Spain. It's the regular people like us who pay the price, both in terror attacks and as cannon fodder on the front lines, not just now but down the road...and the instigators stay safe in their ivory towers. You want to throw away your life for Halliburton et al., that's your business.

The seeds are being planted.

This is what cracks me up...you've got twats like Cheany, Rumsfield and Bush encouraging people to be vigiliant in the face of terror threats, go out in public and shop even when the terror alert media is bleeding red, or telling Iraqi citizens to go out there and vote, and to not worry about people blowing themselves the fuck up all over the map. And they spit out this shit while having more security flanking them then they'll have at the SuperBowl. Hell, wasn't Cheany locked away in Camp David for like two years following 9/11? And yet these scrots are telling people to go out and risk getting blown to bits? Fucking brainless, spineless, full of shit cunts.

Ahhhh...I needed that rant.

Now, given the fact that we allowed food, medicine, and other necessary provisions to freely flow into Iraq (as far as I understand; if this is mistaken to any significant degree, then I would obviously have to reconsider this argument), and only barred trade and other business from being done (i.e., limiting the influx of money), and also given the fact that during the sanctions regime Saddam funnelled billions of illegal dollars to fund various projects, including building new palaces for himself, instead of helping his people who were suffering--- given these facts, where does moral culpability for the deaths of civilians under sanctions lie?

Heh, Haliburton was allowed to do business in Iraq throughout the 90's...

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/halliburton.html

Dick Cheney was CEO of that firm BTW, though he claims he had no knowledge of their business in Iraq during the trade embargo. Yeah, sure...and I'm Jaime Foxx. Meanwhile one company that wasn't even US located but did business in Iraq with Halliburton, saw it's main guy get thrown into jail for five years.

And people wonder why the US is hated...

Tommie Hu$tle said:
But, hitting Canada would be like Bin Laden crashing a plane in any ghetto in the US. No one would care.

:lol So true...not unlike all the high school shootouts that take place in ghettos getting no print, while the shootout in middle-class Columbine is held up as the tragedy of the decade.

Glad Xenon's let out that he's a Canada hater BTW, which precludes him from knowing that we dump on our government so much it's become a recreational sport. :lol The difference between our nations Yankee boy, is that we don't paint ourselves out to be the bastions of freedom for the world. That's your gig...and when you look like a bunch of fucking hypocrites when doing so, you're bound to take it up the poo chute sooner or later.

And outside of calling the WTC victims "little Eichmanns", Churchill didn't say much that isn't factual.

Loki

Count of Concision
Shinobi said:
Heh, Haliburton was allowed to do business in Iraq throughout the 90's...

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/dickcheney/halliburton.html

Dick Cheney was CEO of that firm BTW, though he claims he had no knowledge of their business in Iraq during the trade embargo. Yeah, sure...and I'm Jaime Foxx. Meanwhile one company that wasn't even US located but did business in Iraq with Halliburton, saw it's main guy get thrown into jail for five years.

And people wonder why the US is hated...

Oh, I'm sure there were shady and illegal business dealings going on, and I agree that these shape public perception, particularly as regards our intentions in the region. However, the above doesn't change the fact that, as far as I know, necessary provisions were allowed to flow into the country during the sanctions regime; so my argument stands unless someone corrects me on that point. :)

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
Howlin' Mad said:
We had an asshat professor at Kent State University who would only refer to the suicide bombers in Israel as martyrs. Last I checked, a martyr was someone who willingly gave up their life for a principle. The definition didn't include anything about taking other people's lives with ya. Needless to say, this prof was always good at stirring up the students and got his ass fired.

Uh.. That's a different situation. One side claims that the land belongs to people of a specific faith, the other claims it's been taken from them after living on it for so long. The latter claims facing oppression and feels the only way to try and get the land back (get the land back = principle) is to end his life along with anyone that stands in his way to achive the principle. From the latter's point of view, it's martyrdom. Perhaps your teacher was sympathetic to the latter point of view.

Try to be in their position, or at least imagine a similar one: if an enemy invades your country, wouldn't you be willing to take your life to deter them from taking over? If your principle is to get your freedom back by attacking their military, and they start to install more of their people in your country the more you attack them, won't you look for other ways to deter that invasion? You may say "I will defend my land with honor and only attack those with guns and military uniforms" then end up being the minority nationality in your own country.

Playing devil's advocate here. Just a scenario for you to think about.

Uter

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Xenon your analysis would hold water IF and only IF Canada was the de facto symbol of Democracy and Capatilism it isn't we the US hold that title. That attack was symbolic, nothing you don't already know. But, hitting Canada would be like Bin Laden crashing a plane in any ghetto in the US. No one would care.

Amusing, especially since we were founded specifically with checks against democracy.

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death." - James Madison

"The government of the absolute majority is but the government of the strongest interests; and when not effectively checked, is the most tyrannical and oppressive that can be devised. [To read the Constitution is to realize that] no free system was ever farther removed from the principle that the absolute majority, without check or limitation, ought to govern." - John C. Calhoun

Shinobi

Loki said:
Oh, I'm sure there were shady and illegal business dealings going on, and I agree that these shape public perception, particularly as regards our intentions in the region. However, the above doesn't change the fact that, as far as I know, necessary provisions were allowed to flow into the country during the sanctions regime; so my argument stands unless someone corrects me on that point. :)

Oh I don't disagree with that...I just wanted to point out that Cheaney is a dickweed. :lol

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Uter said:
Amusing, especially since we were founded specifically with checks against democracy.

[...]

"The government of the absolute majority is but the government of the strongest interests;

Clearly those checks weren't strong enough, were they?

Uter

iapetus said:
Clearly those checks weren't strong enough, were they?

Actually they have been strong enough, most of them are still in place. Things like the 17th amendment can be fixed with another constitutional amendment.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Senior Lurker said:
Uh.. That's a different situation. One side claims that the land belongs to people of a specific faith, the other claims it's been taken from them after living on it for so long.

The sad thing is, both sides can (and do) realistically claim both of those sides.

College Cancels Speech by Professor Who Disparaged 9/11 Attack Victims

CLINTON, N.Y., Feb. 1 - Over the last five days, tiny Hamilton College in upstate New York has been barraged with more than 6,000 e-mail messages full of fury, some threatening violence. Some donors have canceled pledges to an ambitious capital campaign. And prospective students have withdrawn applications or refused to enroll.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/02/education/02hamilton.html

guess like some donators, students and other people have exercised their freedom of speech too..

Chipopo said:
Great, maybe it will increase my chances. Thanks asshole professor!
:lol

new story up about him on yahoo.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=7&u=/ap/20050206/ap_on_re_us/speaker_protest

he's bold, that's for sure:
Early editions of the Sunday Denver Post reported Churchill gave another magazine interview in which he was asked about the effectiveness of protests of U.S. policies and the Iraq (news - web sites) war, and responded: "One of the things I've suggested is that it may be that more 9/11s are necessary."

Yeah, it was reported that the guy has stepped down as the chair of his department and fighting broke out at a speaking gig he had when supporters and critics got in a heated discussion. Colorado is also looking into whether they can fire him. He is getting worked over.

Shinobi

Cyan said:
Good for him. He may be a fucking idiot, but at least he's standing by his guns. I can't stand these shits who say something vaguely controversial, then apologize profusely every chance they get. Of course you meant it, asshole. Why else would you have said it?

Amen...if you say something, stand by it. Fuck the haters.

KingGondo

Banned
Hey, he may be a misleading asshole, but he deserves to say what he wants and present his point of view. He should NOT be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom