• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University of Colorado professor: Victims in World Trade Center not "innocent."

Status
Not open for further replies.
MetatronM said:
What kind of asshat uses the word "gimme" in the main text of an essay?

That was my first thought when I read that.

-jinx- said:
...We're only a couple of generations removed from a time when it was acceptable and even desirable to wipe out civilian centers as part of the usual business of combat. Do you think that all of Tokyo or London or Dresden was filled with military personnel and materiel during WWII? Of course not -- the goal was to terrorize people, cause as much damage as possible, and put a dent in the enemy's ability to fight.
As I recall, early in WWII populations centers were off-limits until the Germans accidentally bombed London, causing a retaliatory strike against Berlin. Things then escalated from there, with both sides taking off the gloves.

What you said, "...the goal was to terrorize people, cause as much damage as possible, and put a dent in the enemy's ability to fight" certainly became true, but I don't think that was the "usual business of combat" prior to that point. It was only as the long, bloody war that they never started dragged on that the Allies unabashedly began bombing Axis cities solely for punitive reasons.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
G4life98 said:
you are out of your fucking mind...nothing he said was "spot on", its like trying to justify columbine by saying " oh but those poor kids were bullied".
Take your Columbine analogy and go fuck yourself.

The cycle of political subordination, cajoling, undermining and influence peddling that the USA has been guilty of for decades was certain to have consequences. Do you honestly believe that Carter's failure to order America into combat with Iran in 1979-1980 over the Hostage incident didn't create a perfect breeding ground for radical Islam? What about Reagan's sponsorship of the Contras? Failed assassination attempts on Fidel Castro? This continual interference had to come home sometime - or are you one of those bright bulbs who believes that just because your country can interfere in another nation's policies, that they always should? Malcolm X said it plain as day: ""[The USA] never foresaw that the chickens would come home to roost so soon."

Idiot.

Normally, I frown upon "I agree with said poster" posts, because they are pointless posts that add nothing to the conversation. However, bishop deserves a slap on the back & a night with the woman of his choice for what he just wrote above.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Lucky Forward said:
As I recall, early in WWII populations centers were off-limits until the Germans accidentally bombed London, causing a retaliatory strike against Berlin. Things then escalated from there, with both sides taking off the gloves.

I can guarantee you there was nothing "accidental" about the Luftwafte's decision to bomb London. It was done intentionally (and foolishly) in an attempt to break the spirit of the British.

Lucky Forward said:
What you said, "...the goal was to terrorize people, cause as much damage as possible, and put a dent in the enemy's ability to fight" certainly became true, but I don't think that was the "usual business of combat" prior to that point. It was only as the long, bloody war that they never started dragged on that the Allies unabashedly began bombing Axis cities solely for punitive reasons.

This is entirely untrue. Do you know what the word "carpet bombing" means? Remember, precision weapons are an extremely new technology. Before that, the only means to destroy the industrial production capacity of an enemy was to literally drop as many bombs on a city as you could and hope that they struck the industrial production centers. And oftentimes, the intent was not to just destroy the production itself. Hamburg was firebombed in July of 1943 (after first bombing it in 1940, very early on in the war), and 60% of the city was destroyed while 40,000 people were killed. This sort of collateral damage was expected and welcomed as part of the necessity of war.

Doth Togo

When you kill 500,000 children in order to impose your will on other countries, then you shouldn't be surprised when somebody responds in kind," Churchill said.

"If it's not comfortable, that's the point. It's not comfortable for the people on the other side, either."

The attacks on Sept. 11, he said, were "a natural and inevitable consequence of what happens as a result of business as usual in the United States. Wake up."

- - - - -

I cannot disagree with this statement. That being said, the act itself was not justified.

Gorey

Guileless said:
Indeed it does. But as terrible as it is, a just war is preferable to allowing mass murderers the unchecked control of national war machines. That's why today we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz and recognize it as the abomination that it was. That's better than the Third Reich celebrating the anniversary of its opening, which is what it would be doing if the Allies had not gone to war to destroy it.
I agree that war is sometimes necessary and unavoidable. What I find depressing in Jinx's orignal comment is this; it reminded me that for radical revolutionaries, concepts like the Geneva Convention, what are legitimate military targets, and all that jazz are absolutely secondary to the primary goal, which is winning at all costs. Given the situation in the middle east, this formula will equal years of violence, bloodshed, and your average field-grade inhumanity on both sides.
Actually, I'm not even sure those concepts are priorites for the US, at this point. See? Depressing.

ge-man

bishoptl said:
Take your Columbine analogy and go fuck yourself.

The cycle of political subordination, cajoling, undermining and influence peddling that the USA has been guilty of for decades was certain to have consequences. Do you honestly believe that Carter's failure to order America into combat with Iran in 1979-1980 over the Hostage incident didn't create a perfect breeding ground for radical Islam? What about Reagan's sponsorship of the Contras? Failed assassination attempts on Fidel Castro? This continual interference had to come home sometime - or are you one of those bright bulbs who believes that just because your country can interfere in another nation's policies, that they always should? Malcolm X said it plain as day: ""[The USA] never foresaw that the chickens would come home to roost so soon."

Idiot.

Excellent post. While I don't agree with the professor saying that WTC workers are a part of the problem, we are definately reaping what our government has sown. Decades of botched foreign policy was certainly going to add up to something. This is why I feel so frustrated with my country right now--the current adminstration is probably doing far more damage in this regard than the ones that Bish mentioned in his post ever did.

Nerevar said:
I can guarantee you there was nothing "accidental" about the Luftwafte's decision to bomb London. It was done intentionally (and foolishly) in an attempt to break the spirit of the British.

http://www.iln.org.uk/iln_years/year/1940.htm

August 25th - German Bombs were accidentally dropped on London so Bomber Command was ordered to attack Berlin

A lot of other sites mention the first bombing of London as accidental.

Nerevar said:
This is entirely untrue. Do you know what the word "carpet bombing" means? Remember, precision weapons are an extremely new technology. Before that, the only means to destroy the industrial production capacity of an enemy was to literally drop as many bombs on a city as you could and hope that they struck the industrial production centers.

Allies used the Norden bombsight to target individual facilties. It wasn't perfect, but it's a far cry from bombing entire cities.

Carpet bombing wasn't developed until Vietnam.

http://www.csis.org/features/cord_011102.htm

There is no fixed definition of carpet-bombing, and what we do today is nothing like the carpet-bombing in Vietnam or area bombing in Korea.
In Vietnam, "carpet bombing" referred to the bombing of broad areas, usually by multiple B-52 strikes. It generally involved dumb bombs or napalm, but sometimes cluster bombs.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Nicaraguans and Cubans aren't crashing planes into buildings; people from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Egypt did it. Egpyt receives billions in foreign aid, and Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia's) very existence was ensured by the American military. The hijackers were mostly well-off, well-traveled people.

At what point should some prior US Secretary of State, if he had enjoyed the insight and foreknowledge that y'all are demonstrating in this thread, pushed away from his desk and said, "well, if we continue to do this we should expect suicide bombers to crash planes into buildings."

I'm not even sure those concepts are priorites for the US, at this point.
Do you think the US deliberately targets civilians? Why do insurgents favor shooting from mosques and hospitals?

Hollywood

Banned
nitewulf said:
pretty sure they can. that is the exact point of earning a PhD, getting an original opinion out there. professors are by default very biased, they are not meant to be neutral. and as such the point of university courses is for the dumbass students to get used to varying opinions, and as a result be able form and defend their own opinion against differing opinions and thoughts.

Well you're wrong. Just the other week a professor at my University got fired for saying something like 'we should just kill all those towelheads shouldn't we? of course I'm kidding'. You pay money to learn material, not to listen to some jackass stand up and soapbox on what America's problems are. I sure as hell am not paying tuition to listen to someone do that.

And I disagree with these statements wholeheartedly. The difference between terrorism and a war action is when the target is SPECIFICALLY civilians. I do not recall the US ever attacking children purposefully, or killing civilians on purpose. Strapping a bomb on and blowing up a bus full of civilians doesn't make you a martyr. It makes you a terrorism. And a pussy terrorist at that.

heidern

G4life98 said:
you are out of your fucking mind...nothing he said was "spot on", its like trying to justify columbine by saying " oh but those poor kids were bullied".

No, as has been said, the analogy is bullshit. The point of view of the terrorist is this; The policy of the United States has directly led to the deaths of thousands of Muslims. Therefore the US is a valid target for attack.

A perfect analogy for that is that the point of view of the USA is this; The policy of the Taliban Afghanistan has directly led to the deaths of thousands of Americans. Therefore Taliban Afghanistan is a valid target for attack.

The problem isn't that Al Quaeda attacked the USA on 9/11. The debate is the nature of the attack, more specifically the nature of the target. The Pentagon is part of the US military machine, therefore you could very well argue that it is military target and therefore a valid target.

The Twin Towers were part of the US economic machine. With US economic might the foundation of US ability to implement policy that directly leads to the deaths of thousands of Muslims the terrorist would argue that they are a valid target too. In fact a terrorist could very well argue that the thousands that died were collateral damage.

Do I agree with the reasoning? With the pentagon maybe. With the Twin Towers no, since there is a seperation between states and people. The people in the Twin Towers were merely going about their lives. Yes their lives and taxes and democratic vote help the US state but what choice do they have? They can't upend the entire government. Neither can you reasonably expect them to disown the US and leave their home, their country of birth.

It reminds me of Rocky IV; "You think you are so very good, and we are so very bad". In reality politics is a very messy game.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature can (sorry: should) realize that foreign policy that kowtows to and supports repressive regimes for the sake of business and political expediency will have long-term ramifications down the road. Do you honestly expect other countries to roll over and take it just because it's America? How arrogant can anyone be? How many of tomorrow's bombers and terrorists are being born today, thanks to the foreign policy currently employed by Bush's misadventures in Iraq? Prisoner abuse by US-supported security forces. US forces killing civilians. Is this the sort of stability that Bush is bringing to this region?

Hollywood, if the terrorists could attack the people they hold most responsible, they would. But they can't hit the top government officials (attack on the Pentagon aside), so they go after the available targets - like Margaret Hassan, who previously to this bullshit junket was living in Iraq for 30 years, providing care and support to poor Iraqis. Regular folks like you and I working at the WTC. People going to work on at a train terminal in Spain. It's the regular people like us who pay the price, both in terror attacks and as cannon fodder on the front lines, not just now but down the road...and the instigators stay safe in their ivory towers. You want to throw away your life for Halliburton et al., that's your business.

The seeds are being planted.
shakezula said:
By some of the logic in this thread wouldn't the fair retaliation of the US for 9/11 have been to bomb Mecca? It is the biggest symbol of the Muslim faith so where better to attack the machine of Muslim extremism.. all the people there are probably part of the machine anyway!
:eek:

Plane-crashing terrorists = Muslims, therefore all Muslims = terrorists. It's all so clear now.

I'll go get my coat.

shakezula said:
In fact isn't Bush attacking the machine by singling out a couple of rogue states such as Iraq and Iran and invading them. Isn't this a severe blow to the general aims and ideals of the Muslim extremist machine? And since both are wars against oppressive dictatorships with the intention of installing (hopefully) stable democracy, going from the rules of war shouldn't its critics in fact shut the fuck up?
War against oppressive governments? Fuck yeah! Let's set up an itinerary! Tell me, shall we go after China first? Or North Korea? Pakistan, perhaps. :p

Nerevar

Lucky Forward said:
A lot of other sites mention the first bombing of London as accidental.

The first bombs that were dropped on Berlin were most certainly not accidental. On September 7th the first German planes bombed the docks of London, killing 400 and injuring another 14,000. The first direct strike against a civilian-only target was an accident. The British response was what enraged Hitler and caused him to focus more on breaking the British spirit to fight rather than hit military targets (which many say cost him the air war with Britain). However, as I was pointing out, collateral damage was accepted at the time as is proven by the number of people that were killed when the Germans struck directly at industrial targets.

Allies used the Norden bombsight to target individual facilties. It wasn't perfect, but it's a far cry from bombing entire cities.

Yet they didn't hesitate in firebombing both Hamburg and Dresden. Just because they tried most of the time doesn't mean they didn't do it at all. The bombsight's were used to guarantee that the actual target was struck, collateral damage was an expected part of warfare. Remember, it was more important to destroy the enemy's production, thus any tool that ensured a greater success rate was going to be welcomed. That doesn't mean that civilian targets were outright ignored.

Carpet bombing wasn't developed until Vietnam.

The term wasn't used until Vietnam, but the practice was there. Remember, the huge investment in bombers in America didn't occur until after 1937, which just happened to be the year that the German bombing of Guernica demonstrated just how effective bombers could be in destroying entire cities by dropping massive payloads. The b17 was developed to carry 5 tons of bombs - hardly a "precision" instrument.

olimario said:
FUCK HIM
His radical views should NOT be in the classroom.

Should we ban everything your poor widdle feelings can't deal with? Hell, if you disagree go up against him.

I'm not going to sit up here and agree with this nut case but, ignoring everything you don't like or don't agree with is how we got terrorists at our doorsteps in the first place.

olimario

Banned
Tommie Hu$tle said:
Should we ban everything your poor widdle feelings can't deal with? Hell, if you disagree go up against him.

I'm not going to sit up here and agree with this nut case but, ignoring everything you don't like or don't agree with is how we got terrorists at our doorsteps in the first place.

He can speak his mind, but unless the class is about radical political views he should not have stated this IN THE CLASSROOM. It really has no place and the school should have sense enough to know that.

Gorey

Guileless said:
Do you think the US deliberately targets civilians? Why do insurgents favor shooting from mosques and hospitals?
Oh come on, now. I'm not getting into an argument over who-did-what and who-does-what and give-me-proof yadda yadda yadda. In a revolutionary conflict, war is messy. Heck, war is always messy. But particularly in this case. I do not blame soldiers for obeying orders and attempting to fulfill their mission objectives, but there is no way the US military is completely guiltless in terms of civilian deaths.
I don't really think we have differing viewpoints- perhaps I am just less black and white than your position. The US military has done, and will do again, some horrific things in this conflict. So have the insurgents/terrorists; I'd argue they're worse- from our perspective, in any case. The only certainty, sad to say, is that the end is not in sight.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
olimario said:
He can speak his mind, but unless the class is about radical political views he should not have stated this IN THE CLASSROOM. It really has no place and the school should have sense enough to know that.

I just skimmed the article... but it sounds like you didn't read it at all. Unless I'm mistaken, these statments are from an essay he wrote, not a lecture.

And outside of the Eichmann comparison, I really don't see anything offensive about what he said, right or wrong. Just he's trying to put a global perspective on what happened.

Hollywood

Banned
olimario said:

Exactly. Some people keep saying its free speech, but its NOT. We're paying for this shit, with tuition to learn something about the subject. I don't see people working at fucking McDonald's preaching their opinion when I go to order. You wanna stand on a soapbox and preach your opinion, go get a timeslot on public access or something. He should be fired immediately.

Phoenix

Guileless said:

While I don't not believe the deliverately target civillians, they have certainly 'overlooked' instances where actions would clearly result in civillian casualties when unnecessary. Those are situations where I part from 'conventional acceptance' of policy and say - no, that's just wrong. Sadly there are some people who will just say 'well they were the cost of operations' and while civillian casualties are not preventable, we should not accept that willfully endangering citizens when other options are present is acceptable behavior.

But as always, the question becomes one of 'well what do/can we do about it.'

olimario said:

So at your job you should only speak about things that apply to the job only? Man I'd hate to work with you. You sound kinda boring.

Nerevar

Hollywood said:
Exactly. Some people keep saying its free speech, but its NOT. We're paying for this shit, with tuition to learn something about the subject. I don't see people working at fucking McDonald's preaching their opinion when I go to order. You wanna stand on a soapbox and preach your opinion, go get a timeslot on public access or something. He should be fired immediately.

Why do you we keep talking about this like it's something he said in class? It's not, it's in one of his essays. And I agree with another post, outside of the Eichmann comment, there's nothing particularly wrong about what he said.

Hollywood

Banned
Nerevar said:
Why do you we keep talking about this like it's something he said in class? It's not, it's in one of his essays. And I agree with another post, outside of the Eichmann comment, there's nothing particularly wrong about what he said.

Even if he didn't say it in class, he is still representing the University.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hollywood said:
The difference, genius, is that a university is an institution for the free expression of differing views.

McDonald's is where you go when you'd like to get something to eat.
University is where you go when you'd like to learn a bit more of the world around you.

Judging from some of the responses I'm reading in here, a few of you could use a semester or two.

Phoenix

bishoptl said:
Anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature can (sorry: should) realize that foreign policy that kowtows to and supports repressive regimes for the sake of business and political expediency will have long-term ramifications down the road. Do you honestly expect other countries to roll over and take it just because it's America? How arrogant can anyone be? How many of tomorrow's bombers and terrorists are being born today, thanks to the foreign policy currently employed by Bush's misadventures in Iraq? Prisoner abuse by US-supported security forces. US forces killing civilians. Is this the sort of stability that Bush is bringing to this region?

Hollywood, if the terrorists could attack the people they hold most responsible, they would. But they can't hit the top government officials (attack on the Pentagon aside), so they go after the available targets - like Margaret Hassan, who previously to this bullshit junket was living in Iraq for 30 years, providing care and support to poor Iraqis. Regular folks like you and I working at the WTC. People going to work on at a train terminal in Spain. It's the regular people like us who pay the price, both in terror attacks and as cannon fodder on the front lines, not just now but down the road...and the instigators stay safe in their ivory towers. You want to throw away your life for Halliburton et al., that's your business.

The seeds are being planted.

Exceedingly well reasoned response. I think the real question is, however, how do moderate citizens on both sides of the fence prevent elements of extremism from dragging the rest of us into this continual spiral of violence. There are far more moderates on both sides who really just want it all to be over than there are extremists who hurt so much that they fill the need to share that pain with the entire world.

War against oppressive governments? Fuck yeah! Let's set up an itinerary! Tell me, shall we go after China first? Or North Korea? Pakistan, perhaps. :p

Or a whole lot of countries in south america and a whole lot of countries in eastern europe or africa :) While BushCo have been successful in painting several states as an axis of evil, the truth is that there are a considerable number of countries out there who are doing the same thing. They just don't get as much press because they are 'high tech wars' or 'struggles for democracy in parts of the world that we care about'. The whole Sudan situation has simply gone quiet - almost unnoticed for months now. Shame on the administration for not even allocating significant resources to help with that situation. And before the 'oil' people hop in, there are considerable oil supplies in that region - far far more easier to take than ANY in the middle east.

levious

I'd much rather be pissed off every now and then by random comments from professors than have them all be drones.

Phoenix

Hollywood said:
Even if he didn't say it in class, he is still representing the University.

University is a place of frequent and often heated debate on a wide variety of topics and that should be welcomed - forever. Universities should be filled with people of dissenting views (and are) because that's what makes the university process worthwhile. In many countries a professor who said this against his government would be removed for being an enemy of the state, surely that's not what we want. We want the dissenting views, we want to debate these issues. University is just a place where you go to download some information, receive some paper and start working.

This is one of the reasons why I LOVED college and LOVE graduate school.

Guileless

bishoptl said:
Anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature can (sorry: should) realize that foreign policy that kowtows to and supports repressive regimes for the sake of business and political expediency will have long-term ramifications down the road.

You're right, we shouldn't "support repressive regimes." Now should we go to war to effect regime change, or should we put sanctions on them to try to curb their behavior? Which of the three options would be less likely to earn the ire of medieval religious fascists who treat women like animals? That's who you want to impress, right? To avoid the "long-term ramifications" of displeasing them?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Guileless, give me a call when you're ready to go to war on China.

:lol And for Pete's sake man, you said three options, but only provided two. University is calling you....

nitewulf

Hollywood said:
Well you're wrong. Just the other week a professor at my University got fired for saying something like 'we should just kill all those towelheads shouldn't we? of course I'm kidding'. You pay money to learn material, not to listen to some jackass stand up and soapbox on what America's problems are. I sure as hell am not paying tuition to listen to someone do that.
i know that. recently columbia university fired two asian studies professors for anti semitic remarks. my point was, ideally institutions shouldn't fire professors because of their political beliefs.
racist remarks and extreme radical thoughts etc are another issue, as i said previously, there are always degrees of what is acceptable, and what isnt.

levious

bishoptl said:
:lol And for Pete's sake man, you said three options, but only provided two. University is calling you....

I think they were:

1) Support repressive regimes

2) Go to war to effect regime change

3) Put sanctions on them to curb their behavior

But really, this is all getting away from the main point of argument.

Guileless

As levious said, I gave you three options. Which one is the best?

And why would I want to go to war with China? Chinese people aren't lining up to crash planes into buildings. They are liberalizing and prospering, even producing 7'6'' centers with great passing skills. Viva China!

Loki

Count of Concision
Bishop has made several good posts in this thread, most of which I agree with. It's not so much that the government ceased serving our "national interests" over the past 20 years, but rather that it was very nearsighted (due to a lack of adequate consideration, I'd say) in pursuing those interests (i.e., they pursued immediate interests as opposed to our long-term interests); further, our "national interests" are becoming ever more narrowly defined-- you can pretty much read "national interests" in any discussion of US foreign policy these days as "corporate interests". And it's sad that our system of government has been appropriated by faceless corporate entities to serve their own ends, often to the detriment of the American people. Though what is good for business is sometimes good for the populace, this is not always the case; in instances of conflict between these interests, the public good should prevail, yet it frequently doesn't. And anyone who believes that the majority (though not all) of our foreign incursions and policy decisions over the past two decades didn't have more to do with business of some sort (military-industrial, oil etc.) than some lofty idealism (as is commonly posited) isn't looking at the same country that I am.

And make no mistake, we are reaping what we've sown here, however much I may loathe terrorists and despise their chosen tactics. Anyone with half a brain could have seen this coming (perhaps not modern terrorism specifically, but a huge backlash to our selfish endeavors)-- actually, no, it doesn't take intellect to see these things, as I'm sure our leaders were all very smart, very capable men. What it takes is wisdom, and that's a quality (indeed, a skill) that I don't believe a great many of our leaders possess to any significant degree-- certainly not enough to guide the course of the most powerful nation in the world.

That being said, regarding this quote:

When you kill 500,000 children in order to impose your will on other countries, then you shouldn't be surprised when somebody responds in kind

If this is referring to our sanctions against Iraq (I've only skimmed this thread), then allow me to pose the following question:

Person "A" does something wrong/illegal. Person "B", backed by both international law and force (at the time), states that if they do it again, the will face an explicitly stated consequence (sanctions). Person "A" persists, and thus suffers said consequences.

Now, given the fact that we allowed food, medicine, and other necessary provisions to freely flow into Iraq (as far as I understand; if this is mistaken to any significant degree, then I would obviously have to reconsider this argument), and only barred trade and other business from being done (i.e., limiting the influx of money), and also given the fact that during the sanctions regime Saddam funnelled billions of illegal dollars to fund various projects, including building new palaces for himself, instead of helping his people who were suffering--- given these facts, where does moral culpability for the deaths of civilians under sanctions lie?

I would argue that it does not lie with us, but with him. Now, this is not to say that sanctions were the wisest course of action, or that I personally would have done the same (I would never have gotten into such a shitty situation in the first place, but that's besides the point), but speaking strictly of this particular aspect of the situation, how can one legitimately assert that the US bears all of (or at least the majority of) the moral blame for those deaths?

I'm honestly curious as to how others are reasoning this out, and if it can be shown that blame should be laid at our feet (again, for this particular instance-- extending some precarious causal chain back through the decades, e.g. "the US propped up Saddam, d00d!!!1", will do you no good), I will be more than happy to admit as much, as I'm interested in truth as opposed to nationalism. I'm no fan of our government, believe you me.

Anyone care to elucidate their reasoning? :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Thanks Loki. I think what you're trying to say here is, "you reap what you sow". :D

Guileless said:
As levious said, I gave you three options. Which one is the best?

And why would I want to go to war with China? Chinese people aren't lining up to crash planes into buildings. They are liberalizing and prospering, even producing 7'6'' centers with great passing skills. Viva China!
Liberalizing? :lol

Prospering? On whose backs? Ask Tibet how they feel about Yao Ming becoming the next Shawn Bradley. :lol Now I know you're not taking this discussion seriously.

As far as your post on options go, you're incorrect. You stated that the act of appeasement/supporting repressive regimes is a no-go, then provided two alternatives. Not that it really matters, I just found it amusing.

Guileless

I didn't say that China was a fully formed liberal democracy; I said it was moving solidly in that direction. China is vastly more liberal economically than it was even 10 years ago. I'm not talking about political liberty, but it's reasonable to assume that will inevitably follow economic prosperity. China's prosperity is due to its economic liberalization and rejection of central planning, which is unrelated to what happens in Tibet.

As far as your post on options go, you're incorrect. You stated that the act of appeasement/supporting repressive regimes is a no-go, then provided two alternatives. Not that it really matters, I just found it amusing.
I find it amusing that you would rather focus on linguistic semantics than answer the question. levious had no trouble understanding what I said.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Guileless said:
I didn't say that China was a fully formed liberal democracy; I said it was moving solidly in that direction. China is vastly more liberal economically than it was even 10 years ago. I'm not talking about political liberty, but it's reasonable to assume that will inevitably follow economic prosperity. China's prosperity is due to its economic liberalization and rejection of central planning, which is unrelated to what happens in Tibet.

I find it amusing that you would rather focus on linguistic semantics than answer the question. levious had no trouble understanding what I said.
I had already answered the question in the previous post, hence the time on my hands to pick at your lousy English. :p

I'm sure that the free movement of money in China is very important to you - however this discussion was in regards to politics. So stay on track, please.

levious

no fair bish, you said options, not alternatives. So there were three options and two alternatives... for those keeping score.

Gorey

The Count of Concision's (most accurate tag ever) above post reminded me of the Robert S McNamara documentary, Fog Of War. If you have any interest in wartime politics, the vietnam era, and the evolution of 'capable men in difficult positions', watch it.

Boogie

Gorey said:
The Count of Concision's (most accurate tag ever) above post reminded me of the Robert S McNamara documentary, Fog Of War. If you have any interest in wartime politics, the vietnam era, and the evolution of 'capable men in difficult positions', watch it.

Hmm, that reminds me, I still need to finish watching it.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I've found the secret to reading Loki's posts is to not scroll ahead. Instead, only scroll as far as you've read. That way, you won't notice the length and give up without an attempt. :)

Minotauro said:
I've found the secret to reading Loki's posts is to not scroll ahead. Instead, only scroll as far as you've read. That way, you won't notice the length and give up without an attempt. :)

Loki is the John Holmes of writing posts.

Guileless

I had already answered the question in the previous post, hence the time on my hands to pick at your lousy English.

What was your answer? I didn't see it. Please cross-reference.

And for the record: 3 posts nitpicking my phrasing, and one post about the "high road." I don't think anyone wants to wade through that while they try to follow a substantive discussion.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Then stay on track. And quit whining about your lack of coherent phrasing, it's becoming tiresome.

I've mentioned already that pulling support (that includes financial and military) from repressive regimes is the most effective way to deal with them in a manner that they will understand. While you'd prefer to let China, for example, continue to make their money engaging in trade with the USA in the Pollyanna-ish hope that political liberation will soon follow, hitting these governments in the wallet will make them pay attention.

Maybe instead of praying that by continuing to give China your money, they'll magically embrace democracy, you should take the Operation Freedom show on the road and hit up the Chinese next. A regime that embraces totalitarianism? Check. Numerous documented human rights abuses? Check. Military dictator that we just happened to prop up with American support until he was no longer useful? Well....no. And no oil to speak of either, but apparently that's neither here nor there. :D It's telling that as one of the USA's largest trading partners, your government is content to gloss over their human rights record, angrily shaking a finger, while continuing to do grease palms. Where's the incentive for anything more than token liberalization on the part of a country like China when the USA saves its moral leverage for those countries it knows it can push around?

Anyways, dealing with the USA's hypocrisy in which despots get run and which get a slap on the back is part of the larger picture, but the point made by myself and others in this thread still stands: you reap what you sow. And that should be frightening to everyone on this continent, including us who are stuck with this warmongering troglodyte in power to our south. Yay us. :p

Phoenix

bishoptl said:
Then stay on track. And quit whining about your lack of coherent phrasing, it's becoming tiresome.

I've mentioned already that pulling support (that includes financial and military) from repressive regimes is the most effective way to deal with them in a manner that they will understand. While you'd prefer to let China, for example, continue to make their money engaging in trade with the USA in the Pollyanna-ish hope that political liberation will soon follow, hitting these governments in the wallet will make them pay attention.

But then where would Walmart get its seafood from! I bullshit you not that Walmarts 'FRESH' seafood ALL comes from China or Thailand!

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
His point is the 9/11 attacks happened for a reason, if people in this country still believe that were were just attacked be evil terrorists then this sort of thing is going to keep happening until we are all dead

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Guileless said:
Nicaraguans and Cubans aren't crashing planes into buildings; people from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Egypt did it. Egpyt receives billions in foreign aid, and Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia's) very existence was ensured by the American military. The hijackers were mostly well-off, well-traveled people.

At what point should some prior US Secretary of State, if he had enjoyed the insight and foreknowledge that y'all are demonstrating in this thread, pushed away from his desk and said, "well, if we continue to do this we should expect suicide bombers to crash planes into buildings."
You really don't have a clue how much America has meddled with other countries, do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom