• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unknown Pleasures: What's one Steam game more people should know about?

Ivellios

Sunless Sea is fantastic. It's easily the greatest bunch of words ever put in a game, and it also comes with a fantastic soundtrack and art. If you're into Lovecraftian horror, humor, or just good reading in general, it's definitely worth checking out.

tumblr_nggtt43wms1tmeslzo1_1280.png

1450225868103.jpg

Sunless-Sea-5.jpg

Is this a visual novel? a RPG? these screenshots looks nice

Both. You explore, battle, gather supplies, manage crew, etc in real time and dock at ports, meet strange individuals, explore eldritch locations, and make tough choices in the interactive fiction sections

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Wow, the two games I was going to recommend aren't on Steam, and actually have also been removed from GOG. WTF?

Scratches_front.jpg

Very creepy point-and-click adventure game, perfect for Halloween season. The kind of game you play during a quiet, chilly autumn evening, drinking your favorite coffee.

Severance_-_Blade_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

This is the big one. I cannot believe no online distributor has the rights to sell this. GOG used to, and I'm so glad I bought it when I did because it is AWESOME.

Everything about this game is reminiscent of the Souls series, from the combat to the level design to the difficulty. I am a huge Souls fan and this game was right up my alley. If you don't believe me, watch this.

Recursed
Secretly among the best puzzlers of 2016, and yes, that includes The Witness, Stephen's Sausage Roll, and the like. It's the closest thing we've gotten to gamifying Inception's dream within dream concept, as you use recursive loops to place rooms within rooms and compound different effects, copy rooms and items, create infinite loops, and so on to solve puzzles

House of the Dying Sun
Other games have big worlds, complex economies, RPG depth, but House of the Dying Sun has the best combat of the recent space game resurgence. Lean and mean, Dying Sun drops you straight into challenging missions (complete with side objectives and remixed enemies on higher difficulties), and has you dogfighting in your agile interceptor. While also zooming out into tactical view to command your fleet and other fighters and seamlessly diving back into the action

Sethian
A clever linguistic twist on the interactive fiction/text adventure, where you have to learn how to read and write in an alien language to both question an AI about a lost extraterrestrial civilization and understand its responses.

The bulk of the game is more or less a text adventure with RPG-style skill checks. The same developers made Fallen London, which is entirely that style and is free to try out if you want to see if you're interested (it can also make the lore easier to understand).

The rest of it is kind of a hybrid between a roguelike and a trading game, where you explore and boat around to different islands and all that. I think that's the weaker part of the game for a variety of reasons, but it's still enjoyable.

I will say that the early game is fairly obtuse and has a lot of "traps" to snag beginners, so it helps to have a degree of existing knowledge of the game before going in. Ask around the forums (or just PM me) for advise if you decide to play.

sheaaaa

Mrs Splosion Man is really funny. Unfortunately it's the only Twisted Pixel title on Steam (no Comic Jumper:( ). It's an addicting platformer that takes pop culture level memes to untold absurdities.

I have a real soft spot for Xbox Live Arcade/XBLIG games finding a home on Steam. Shame the first Splosion Man and the rest of Twisted Pixel's games, like you said, never made it to Steam.

rbenchley

header.jpg

Xanadu Next: If I had to sum it up with one sentence, I'd say it's a Falcom game Xanadu Next is an incredibly fun and incredibly satisfying game, that just feels right on every level.
It's like a slightly slower and more RPG-heavy Ys game with an interconnected world and lots of secrets to find. Combat is fast, but heavily emphasizes positioning and the feedback is incredibly satisfying.
The story is very interesting as well, and while it may seem unimportant and perfunctory at most in the beginning, it builds up to a stunning conclusion.

Very glad to see this one listed. It blows my mind that so few copies of this absolute masterpiece have been sold on Steam.

Eila

Oh right, go buy Xanadu Next people! It's a really good game by Falcom, but unlike Ys it got terribly underlooked.

dosh

I'd recommend LISA.
A side-scrolling RPG where you play a kung-fu genius turned drug addict named Brad who goes out looking for his adoptive daughter Lisa in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by perverts, sociopaths and monsters.

It's basically what would happen if someone decided to cross-breed Undertale with Mad Max and a Cronenberg movie.
Given how violent, sad and weird it can get, LISA's a surprisingly funny game with a lot of exploration, combat, strange subplots and situations, catchy tunes and tons of really cool characters to unlock and add to your party (including a duck).

And the story is fantastic. It really, really is.

Odallus The Dark Call

If you need a Castelvania / Shinobi fix, I got you.

I agree. Solid old school gameplay and visuals, and a bit of a Berserk flavor to it.

F3uzCFD.jpg

If you've played the excellent original Half Minute Hero, you'll know exactly what to expect from its sequel Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming. Basic premise is that you start a mission, and the world is going to end after 30 seconds after, which you have to prevent. The series loves to revel in tropes of games, movies, comics, and TV shows, but it condenses everything so hard that it can fit inside the narrow time constraints. It's all very charming and playful, and has a surprisingly competent emotional core. The game is a little on the chatty side, which some might argue makes it guilty of the exact behaviour it makes fun of, but it's a small blight in an otherwise excellent package.

Ivellios

The bulk of the game is more or less a text adventure with RPG-style skill checks. The same developers made Fallen London, which is entirely that style and is free to try out if you want to see if you're interested (it can also make the lore easier to understand).

The rest of it is kind of a hybrid between a roguelike and a trading game, where you explore and boat around to different islands and all that. I think that's the weaker part of the game for a variety of reasons, but it's still enjoyable.

I will say that the early game is fairly obtuse and has a lot of "traps" to snag beginners, so it helps to have a degree of existing knowledge of the game before going in. Ask around the forums (or just PM me) for advise if you decide to play.

Thanks, but reading that this game has roguelike element kinda dissapointed me, its my least favorite genre by a longshot.

Still i will follow your advice and try the Fallout game.

Also subscribed to this thread, so many games i had no idea it existed listed here

Giga Man

Rad-

Eastside Hockey Manager. It's basically like Football Manager series except with hockey (duh). I have 568 hours played with it... It's by far my most played Steam game. If you enjoy hockey then this is a must have game.

Extremely polished story-driven 2D puzzle-platformer with a well-implemented time-travel mechanic. It's quite short and ends a bit abruptly, as though the devs had intended to make a longer game but ran out of time and money, but what's there is excellent.

Javier23

Banned
Lots of awesome stuff in this thread I gotta play ASAP. I for one share the earlier recommendations on LISA RPG and Deadbolt. The former is one of my favorite games period. The latter was a delightful surprise, a perfect hybrid of Gunpoint and Hotline Miami, and perhaps something else I may have not yet played. Challenging, but just enough. Screens, gifs and videos don't do it justice. You gotta try it.

I'd recommend LISA.
A side-scrolling RPG where you play a kung-fu genius turned drug addict named Brad who goes out looking for his adoptive daughter Lisa in a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by perverts, sociopaths and monsters.

It's basically what would happen if someone decided to cross-breed Undertale with Mad Max and a Cronenberg movie.

Given how violent, sad and weird it can get, LISA's a surprisingly funny game with a lot of exploration, combat, strange subplots and situations, catchy tunes and tons of really cool characters to unlock and add to your party (including a duck).

And the story is fantastic. It really, really is.
+1 on the LISA recommendation.

pakkit

Banned
DK6-jveXcAMC-dE.jpg

Trackless

Music Video/Gameplay Video

Link to Steam

ss_97c5921fbadd00298cece32c44a58d7a6bb1562f.600x338.jpg

A First-Person Exploration game where you enter text to solve puzzles and progress in quasi-religious Trials in a minimalist cyberpunk world. It came out last month and not many noticed. I bought it on a whim after a recommendation from Fullbright's Steve Gaynor. Really loved it for the 3 hour experience, and it's more fleshed out than many of its walking sim relatives. If you're looking for some minimalist cyberpunk and enjoy the language logic of crossword puzzles (a small niche, I know), this is your game.

Also, I have yet to play it but Dujanah is next on my play list. The music and artwork are this weird DIY blend of claymation and garage visuals but what really sold me on it was listening to Waypoint's podcast where they discuss the game (around the 33 minute mark).

Link to Steam

ss_23db8bab505d6d9951cb0b0832c77b342fae4e4e.600x338.jpg

Davey Cakes

I'll give another shout-out to Odallus: The Dark Call. Scratches the NES Castlevania itch.

Heck, if you want something that does similarly for NES Ninja Gaiden, try out Oniken. It's from the same developer. A bit more "rough around the edges" than Odallus but still solid and attempts to deliver an experience somewhat in the vein of NGIII.

Sponge

Banned
Zero Gear is a game that I think is so bad it's good. Like a twisted physics based mix of Mario Kart and Rocket League.

zulux21

there are plenty... but the one I want to pimp out right now... 20xx

Take Megaman x as a base (with both x and zero playable). Turn it into a roguelike with tons of upgrades to buy and (mostly) well done random level generation. Make it co op both online and locally (and works well in both) and have future support planned such as more bosses, more stages, more characters ect.

sadly I don't have any gifs for it but trailer

if you like megaman x you should seriously look into the game as at $15 it's an easy recommendation to any megaman x fan.

Protome

Extremely polished story-driven 2D puzzle-platformer with a well-implemented time-travel mechanic. It's quite short and ends a bit abruptly, as though the devs had intended to make a longer game but ran out of time and money, but what's there is excellent.

I almost posted about this one too. I got given a review code for it out of the blue and really liked it but it's just too damn easy and short.

sheaaaa

Another game that inspired this just got an in-depth piece on RPS:

Fight'N Rage

It's a beat-em-up which RPS says 'may just be the best brawler ever made'.

What makes Fight’N Rage sing where others merely bellow is the combat engine. Two parts Streets of Rage, one part Final Fight (hence the title), it brings a lot of its own tricks to the table without overcomplicating things. Digital movement and a simple 3-button layout (Punch, Jump & Special) belie a game of shocking depth where every attack can be evaded, parried or countered, and swarms of baddies can be cleared out in seconds, given practice. Every hit lands with a sense of power and purpose, too, with just the right amount of screen-shake to emphasise without obfuscating. It’s a delicately engineered beast...

While an arcade game at heart, Fight’N Rage is expertly engineered and feature-packed for the long-haul.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527740/YANKAIS_TRIANGLE/

This one is an endless puzzle game i'm still obsessing over after all these months after release. I play it just about everyday. Basically, you flip a lot of fucking triangles. You keep flipping triangles into bigger triangles and create what looks like demented buddhist triangle mandalas upon completion. The game is more of an atmospheric toy that occasionally puzzles you than a brain buster like Space Chem or w/e. It, very cryptically, introduces new mechanics to the triangle-flipping process here and there. Really though, there's not much linear difficulty progression, so you can have a set that you solve in ten seconds and next round have one that takes a few minutes. I think that's great. Like Brainpipe, this takes the abstract approach to sound. You won't hear much resembling formal music but instead a lot of, sometimes manipulated, field recordings of our beautiful little world, everything from coyotes to busy cafes
The developer's follow-up Yankai's Peak is equally worth checking out

It's essentially triangular Stephen's Sausage Roll, where you need to carefully flip triangles around the grid into the colored spots, as new mechanics add tricky new layers to wrap your head around.

ss_57340e76ca4fdad8a6e4421be12676c58098e61b.600x338.jpg

Battle Brothers

header.jpg

A strategy rpg that takes similar gameplay beats to Mount and Blade. You play in a low fantasy medieval German world hiring various people from all walks of life to join your scruffy band of sellswords. Graphics are simple but convey information quickly and easily. You can tell at glance what a character is armed with and how hurt they are by looking at the busts that represent various people and creatures. You roam around the map doing whatever you want collecting contracts and fighting battles. Occasionally you'll get mini text adventures that have some multiple outcomes or sometimes just for fun and flavor. As time passes you'll be presented with a Crisis event. Orc Invasions, Undead uprisings, or a good old fashion war between noble houses. These events have their own associated contracts and can have long term consequences like the destruction of towns and villages. You can retire at any time and you'll get an ending appropriate to how much fame and gold you gathered. There is no set ending only when you lose everything or decide to stop and start a new world.

Despite fighting countless combats the tight ruleset and smart AI make each one interesting. If you get careless you could lose a valuable merc. Sometimes they'll survive getting downed only to get a crippling injury. If they die in combat they are gone for good. The game resonated pretty strongly amongst other developers. According to Total Biscuit, Valve wanted Battle Brothers installed on their employee's PC's. Josh Sawyer of Obsidiant Entertainment was also enamored with this game. Only drawback to BB is that the devs have burned out on working on it. It's a complete game but unless we get a surprise update a la Terraria we won't be seeing DLC or anything. I got a good 180 hours worth of entertainment from it as is though.

DiscoJer

Ghost Control Inc.

Remember that old Ghostbusters game for the C64? It's like that, except combat (that is, catching ghosts) is more like the original X-com

Downside is, it didn't sell well and is kinda unfinished. But for the price, it's worth the fun you get out of it. Or so I thought. Really it's one of those games that could be great if they had the resources to fully flesh it out, but they don't..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280540/GhostControl_Inc/

Pepboy

Adding another: not unknown but perhaps forgotten or missed by many. One of my favourite games, great puzzles, cool physics.

ss_5ad14b7ee43ecd3cb218bfb4c1d86f0f95a4eb47.1920x1080.jpg

INK

hard.gif

It's a platformer where all the platforms start out invisible until you start jumping and moving around. It is fairly challenging and I had a lot of fun with it.

I'm not a fan of platformers usually but these games both have a great visual identity. The first one somehow reminds me of claymation or clay fighters, the latter is just an awesome idea.

Caves of Qud.

Caves of Qud is a sci-fi and fantasy, post-apocalyptic, procedurally generated roguelike with seemingly unlimited options. Character build options are deep, from mutations, tech augmentations, magic, and skills. The procedurally-generated lore and worldbuilding is deep and reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, though it also features some hand-crafted areas in every generated world. There is a main quest, but you can forget that and do whatever you want in the world. It may not be a real looker, but it harkens back to ye olden days of text-based rogues. And like old school rogues, this game is often brutal. And incredibly complex. But it rewards patience and exploration of its game systems, and is constantly surprising. The writing is also consistently great.

It's in Early Access but progressing at a steady pace with a clear roadmap, and quite playable already.

Thanks for sharing this! Looks like it might be a good fit for me and I hadn't heard of it before.

WarRock

People recommending Xanadu Next are good people.

there are plenty... but the one I want to pimp out right now... 20xx

Take Megaman x as a base (with both x and zero playable). Turn it into a roguelike with tons of upgrades to buy and (mostly) well done random level generation. Make it co op both online and locally (and works well in both) and have future support planned such as more bosses, more stages, more characters ect.

sadly I don't have any gifs for it but trailer

if you like megaman x you should seriously look into the game as at $15 it's an easy recommendation to any megaman x fan.
This came out of Early Access!? I am still not sold on it but will inevitably buy at some point.

For my money, Rivals of Aether is the best Smash Bros. clone that there's ever been. Great character designs, super unique and subversive movesets and pretty solid tunes.
Came in to say this! It's criminal how little Rivals of Aether is talked about around here, as it is not only handily the best Smash-like game out there but one of the better platform fighters even including Smash!

header.jpg

shot02.jpg

Castle In The Darkness

I really love this game! Fun, old school inspired action platformer. I really wish it had come to consoles too so it gained more exposure as it deserves it. :( The game needs to be on a Nintendo system. :(

I originally learned about the game on NeoGAF's Steam topic years ago funnily enough.

gfxtwin

Stranded Deep. Decent desert island survival game. It's coming along nicely these days and feels more structured with a bit more substance than just endless survival and crafting bullshit. If nothing else it's cool to just explore the highly detailed cluster of islands and find stuff to let you go diving and swim with and encounter wildlife.

./revy

Banned
If my fiance wasn't banned he would be here telling everyone how much they need to play OneShot. I don't have that same desire (I still haven't started it...) but I'll post a picture or something in his memory...

Top Bottom