• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
holy shit at the end. has the internet flipped its shit already? AND WHAT THE FUCK AT SANSA AND STANNIS?????????

motherfuck. I have no idea what to make of this finale. I have no idea what will actually happen in the books. but what the fuck man. poor stannis, first shireen, then his wife, his army gone and maybe dead.

shit. I just have no idea.

e: oh yeah the walk of atonement was great. that wasn't lenas body though was it? somehow that didn't look right but if it is... nice.

e2: myrcella was cheap and lame. why kill everyone smh

Enosh

Stannis will be taking the black (or sacrificing himself to bring Jon back), and once Sansa, Brienne, and Pod make it to Castle Black, Davos will have his orders to go find Rickon. Man, it's going to be fun watching the wildlings fuck up the Boltons.
dead people can't take the black ^^

Boltons should change their motto to "Boltons neven lose"

what the fuck kind of shit is this

You know what needs to happen, ALL these dead mofos outside Winterfell need to rise up as white walkers and take Boltons away

so how is Jon's death different in the books?
In the books, there's a hell of a lot of set-up. First, Mance isn't dead, he's been sent to Winterfell to rescue 'Arya' (Jon doesn't know that the Boltons are parading Jeyne Poole as Arya in order to claim Winterfell.)

Jon receives a letter with the Boltons seal telling him they've defeated Stannis and captured Mance, and demanding the Return of Reek and 'Arya'.

Jon tries to rally the support of the Watch to march on Winterfell and take out the Boltons. This is what triggers the stabbing.

That's it in a nut-shell but obviously the books do a better job of explaining it.

There's also a lot more build up to what becomes of Jon afterwards too.

CorvoSol

That makes no fucking sense. They could have easily turned the fuck around.

"Hey. Dawg. When that lady kissed my daughter. She got poisoned. I demand her fucking head in a platter. With a side of bad pussy"

Except, I suppose, that if Jaime does that (and mind you he won't be in a good mood) there's just as big a chance of it going to war. I mean, Doran MIGHT agree with him, sentence the Sand Snakes to death in a bid to appease the Lannisters, but Jaime has no reason to believe that. He barely escaped Dorne with his life, let alone his daughter's, and now she's dead. If I was him I'd turn back to King's Landing and pick up my army.

And of course, from Prince Doran's point of view a very angry Lannister showing up at my door holding a dead princess would be the last thing I'd let leave. It'd almost be smarter to imprison Jaime on the spot in the hopes that word never reach King's Landing of the death of Myrcella.

SpaceHorror

"Hey. Dawg. When that lady kissed my daughter. She got poisoned. I demand her fucking head in a platter. With a side of bad pussy"

Didn't say it made sense, just saying that was their thinking.

We all know the Sand Snakes are dumb.

If that boat doesn't immediately turn back around to dock, this show has totally gone off the rails.

Why would they turn around? To make accusations likely to get them killed or start a war? This complaint makes no sense, especially given that we don't know what they actually do. Of all the things wrong with the show, this is what makes it go off the rails?

Kozak

Banned
Pretty sure Stannis is dead.

No reason at all for Brienne to keep him alive apart from having a King who may be able to rally an army to take Winterfell and save Sansa. I don't think theres enough time for that again.

Melisendre looking all lost and confused at the wall confirms that Stannis should be dead as she abandoned his side.

Shitty end to Stannis' story if it is but the lead up to his end was at least pretty damn good. Redeems the burning of Shireen.

Not so sure about Jon. If he dies its a pretty shit end to his story and there wouldn't even be any reason to find out about his parentage apart from it being an interesting note about the character.

Gnome

Why would they turn around? To make accusations likely to get you killed? This complaint makes no sense, especially given that we don't know what they actually do.
Doran isn't an idiot, and they would probably have Trystanes word on their side as well. It makes total sense after Dorans "I don't believe in third chances" speech.

Doran isn't an idiot, and they would probably have Trystanes word on their side as well. It makes total sense after Dorans "I don't believe in third chances" speech.

And Jaime is supposed to trust Doran after this? He didn't read Martin's books or watch the show. There's nothing suggesting that not turning around is some improbable action.

Why would they turn around? To make accusations likely to get them killed or start a war? This complaint makes no sense, especially given that we don't know what they actually do. Of all the things wrong with the show, this is what makes it go off the rails?
What's Jaime supposed to do? Take the L and his daughter's corpse back to King's Landing? With her decomposing along the way?

The entire situation is just stupid!

And Jaime is supposed to trust Doran after this? He didn't read Martin's books or watch the show. There's nothing suggesting that not turning around is some improbable action.
This would come down to what would most people do when their daughter is dead from poisoning. Logic shouldn't dictate anything in here. But to be fair jaime never treated her as a daughter.

I found it funny that the "I'm retiring" death flag for this show was "you're an incest baby"

What's Jaime supposed to do? Take the L and his daughter's corpse back to King's Landing? With her decomposing along the way?

The entire situation is just stupid!

The entire situation is stupid, but I'm not sure what returning to Dorne would accomplish. I could see why he would do it, but him not doing it is hardly some crazy outcome.

CorvoSol

I don't think Jaime has any reason to believe 1) that Doran isn't in on it or 2) that Doran wouldn't panic and lock him up in a bid for self-protection.

Like, Doran seems like a nice guy but he also has every reason to hate the Lannisters and no reason at all to let an accusation that his family killed a Baratheon Princess stand, let alone reach King's Landing where, for all everyone in Dorne knows, the highly vindictive Queen Cersei still reigns.

I don't think Jaime has any reason to believe 1) that Doran isn't in on it or 2) that Doran wouldn't panic and lock him up in a bid for self-protection.

Like, Doran seems like a nice guy but he also has every reason to hate the Lannisters and no reason at all to let an accusation that his family killed a Baratheon Princess stand, let alone reach King's Landing where, for all everyone in Dorne knows, the highly vindictive Queen Cersei still reigns.

This seems to be a case of the viewers imposing their knowledge onto Jaime. He doesn't have any reason to trust Doran or think him ignorant of the poisoning.

Stannis will be taking the black (or sacrificing himself to bring Jon back), and once Sansa, Brienne, and Pod make it to Castle Black, Davos will have his orders to go find Rickon. Man, it's going to be fun watching the wildlings fuck up the Boltons.

What if in the books Jon eventually wargs to Stannis, and D&D didn't really know how to setup this stuff on the show so rather than trying to explain that Stannis was now actually Jon they decide to just kill Jon and have Stannis actually be Azor?

I already said it yesterday but Jaime telling Myrcella the truth about the incest and she happily accepting it was dumb.

Book Jaime is a lot smarter.

The entire situation is stupid, but I'm not sure what returning to Dorne would accomplish. I could see why he would do it, but him not doing it is hardly some crazy outcome.
Doing something is better than nothing. And I doubt Jaime cares about his own life then (if he does turn back), saving family is first priority.

duckroll

We really need a new thread soon. Someone just throw something up.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Off Season 5 - Good Girls, Bad Pussies, For the Watch

Gnome

I suppose, I just think with how sloppy and lame the whole Dorne story was that the Sand Snakes coming out of it victorious could only mean that everyone else involved must be retarded to be outwitted by some children.

Branduil

LMAO at them making that traitor sign like it's a freaking April Fool's prank instead of a mutiny.

Show Ramsey continues to be the sadist's Gary Stu.

How about Brienne takes Stannis to the Night's Watch for burning his daughter then he's burnt by Mel to resurrect Jon Snow as the true Azor Ahai; a bastard raised to king by the burning of a king who sought to burn bastards. Think of the poetry guys!

tbDewqv.jpg

I'm thinking Ramsay killed all these guys while the guy on the horse just watched.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My only serious gripe about this season his how problematic various character's motivations/justifications for stupid ass actions are becoming. Like, I STILL don't really know what Elaria's deal is. She is acting like there was some sinister Lannister plot to kill Oberyn that they all must pay for, when in reality he got himself killed by a non-Lannister in legitimate single combat because he was rage-filled showboat. I know grief can make people act irrationally, but the whole situation is just nonsense.

Then of course there is the Night's Watch, who fucking know that there is an unstoppable supernatural army beyond the wall but still can't move beyond "but the wildlings!" I know this isn't a show-specific issue, as it plays out much the same way in the book, but the show has the whole Hardholme massacre to reinforce things. Like, what are Olly/Alliser planning to do at this point? Use all like 50 remaining brothers to round up all the Wildlings let south, somehow kill them, then manage to defeat the white walker and undead army? Good luck with that, bros.

At least things played out with Stannis the way they should have. Fucking of course half your army is going to leave when they see you burn your daughter alive, what do you expect.

CorvoSol

I suppose, I just think with how sloppy and lame the whole Dorne story was that the Sand Snakes coming out of it victorious could only mean that everyone else involved must be retarded to be outwitted by some children.

Oh, no, I'm with you. It was literally Batman and Robin. Especially with the White Walker Come At Me Bro last week.

Anyway, I don't really think Stannis is dead. No way does a show that shows us Arya slitting a dude's throat not show Stannis' death. Brienne probably spared him when she realized her oath to Lady Stark overrode her personal vendetta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom