• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

I honestly think they cut LSH because they had to keep their powder try as far as resurrection goes for Jon. Sure, it's a big choice to make, and had a lot of ripple effects of not having her, but I think it was purely a TV decision to maximize surprise when Jon comes back vs. "oh they brought back Cat, they can bring back Jon no problem."

Are people going to be surprised when Jon is resurrected?

Flare

Are people going to be surprised when Jon is resurrected?

The majority will be. I don't think a lot of the show watchers will remember Beric, or the scene with Mel and Thoros. On the other hand, more dedicated fans are probably expecting Jon's revival.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The majority will be. I don't think a lot of the show watchers will remember Beric, or the scene with Mel and Thoros. On the other hand, more dedicated fans are probably expecting Jon's revival.
My cousin is the definition of super casual (she still doesn't know the names of most of the characters) and she asked me the day after the S5 finale if Mel was going to bring him back to life.

Yeah, it's more about diminished effectiveness on deaths if several characters are getting resurrected.

Yep, this is what I meant. No one believes Jon's staying dead, but the overall tone of this offseason would be totally changed if resurrection was common in the show, or mentioned since 3 seasons ago.

Lol no. Fucking everyone and their mother at least strongly suspects that Jon is coming back. The hints couldn't have been less subtle.

It was a mistake for the show to even try to play it off like it isn't a certainty. It was 100% impossible to hide the fact that Kit Harrington has been filming on set and plus, it wasn't played that way in the book anyway. Not a single doubt was left in any readers mind what is going to happen in the next book, the only questions are about the 'how'.

It's true however, that a lot of show watchers probably don't remember the brotherhood, but that's D&D's fault for cutting them and Stoneheart.

I fully expect this season to open with Thoros and Beric in a clumsy 'Previously on...' section to jog watchers memories and prepare them for the obvious.

As we're getting towards a new season and a new thread, I wanted to do a brief refresh on the spoiler rules.

The rules remain the same as for numerous seasons:
  • Aired content from episodes is, of course, fair game.
  • As with tv threads on GAF, please spoiler tag discussion of content from episodes that haven't aired yet including: trailers, previews, interviews, set leaks, promo photos, etc...
  • Discussion of material from the published books is fine.
  • Please spoiler tag discussion of The Winds of Winter preview chapters.
  • Any book discussion in the other *No Book Spoilers* thread will result in a ban.
If you have any questions or comments, please send me or another moderator a PM. I understand that enforcement has been lax in the offseason, which has led to some confusion. Note that scrutiny on the thread will pick up with the new season, and this inevitably leads to posts being edited and deleted, along with some bans, so make sure you're properly tagging things that need to be tagged. Just wanted to give everyone an early heads up, and thanks for your help.

Also, note that there's a new ASoIaF thread up in the OT. If you'd like to discuss the book series, that's your best bet.

Flare

My cousin is the definition of super casual (she still doesn't know the names of most of the characters) and she asked me the day after the S5 finale if Mel was going to bring him back to life.

Lol no. Fucking everyone and their mother at least strongly suspects that Jon is coming back. The hints couldn't have been less subtle.

It was a mistake for the show to even try to play it off like it isn't a certainty. It was 100% impossible to hide the fact that Kit Harrington has been filming on set and plus, it wasn't played that way in the book anyway. Not a single doubt was left in any readers mind what is going to happen in the next book, the only questions are about the 'how'.

It's true however, that a lot of show watchers probably don't remember the brotherhood, but that's D&D's fault for cutting them and Stoneheart.

I fully expect this season to open with Thoros and Beric in a clumsy 'Previously on...' section to jog watchers memories and prepare them for the obvious.

Fair enough. I guess it's because the people I know who exclusively watch the show are fairly clueless and I suspect they're in the majority.

But yea, I expect the previously on segment to go over those plot lines anyway.

Gigglepoo

Yep, this is what I meant. No one believes Jon's staying dead, but the overall tone of this offseason would be totally changed if resurrection was common in the show, or mentioned since 3 seasons ago.

Part of my problem with the show is that its overly reliant on shocks. If the showrunners really removed Lady Stoneheart so Jon's revival would be a bigger twist, then, well, that just sums up the creative mindset behind the show. Character development and motivations be damned! We're gonna shock the world!

Part of my problem with the show is that its overly reliant on shocks. If the showrunners really removed Lady Stoneheart so Jon's revival would be a bigger twist, then, well, that just sums up the creative mindset behind the show. Character development and motivations be damned! We're gonna shock the world!

I see where you're coming from, but I don't mean it as a shocking twist, just that if resurrection were common in the show (oh, they'll just bring him back like they did Cat in Season 4), there wouldn't be as much concern around Jon, and kind of screw up the entire cliffhanger/offseason/resolution.

Iksenpets

Banned
Don't believe you-

Confirmed Hanging Scene
Michelle Fairley has been seen on location with co-stars.
3rd epsiode is called 'Oathbreaker' which is what LSH says to Brienne.

That's unconfirmed rumors of a hanging scene, Michelle Fairley on set in Belfast where she lives, not in costume or makeup, and an episode called Oathbreaker way too early in the season for Brienne to be in the Riverlands yet.

If Stoneheart is in, it's been incredibly poorly written. You can't throw something like that in three years after the fact with zero hinting or foreshadowing. It could have worked in season 4, but once they passed on doing it then their course was set. There's no going back to it now.

Gigglepoo

I see where you're coming from, but I don't mean it as a shocking twist, just that if resurrection were common in the show (oh, they'll just bring him back like they did Cat in Season 4), there wouldn't be as much concern around Jon, and kind of screw up the entire cliffhanger/offseason/resolution.

Did LSH's existence screw up Jon's (potential) resurrection in the books?

gutshot

There is no concern around Jon. Everyone knows he is coming back, we just don't know how.

RaidenZR

The Lena Headey interview at that link has reminded me how much of a buffoon the show has made Jaime appear since Season 4.

It's fine if the show didn't want to do the books beat for beat, or logistically had to diverge for a production reasons, but they've rendered him into a completely weak character I can't take too seriously (as much as I like the actor). In the books after being humbled by the loss of his hand, Cersei's rejection and unfaithfulness, and of course Joffrey's demise, he forges a stride of renewed purpose and determination. Then has a bunch of small triumphs tidying up the Riverlands. In the show he's a shitty dad who can't manage to stop two children from being poisoned. Such a different tangent that I can't reconcile the differences any longer.

Turin

Banned
At least the two events will be a few books apart.

Revealing LSH on the same season you're resurrecting Jon and bringing back
the Hound
and a number of other characters would be too much.

The Lena Headey interview at that link has reminded me how much of a buffoon the show has made Jaime appear since Season 4.

It's fine if the show didn't want to do the books beat for beat, or logistically had to diverge for a production reasons, but they've rendered him into a completely weak character I can't take too seriously (as much as I like the actor). In the books after being humbled by the loss of his hand, Cersei's rejection and unfaithfulness, and of course Joffrey's demise, he forges a stride of renewed purpose and determination. Then has a bunch of small triumphs tidying up the Riverlands. In the show he's a shitty dad who can't manage to stop two children from being poisoned. Such a different tangent that I can't reconcile the differences any longer.

The handling of Jaime is one of the things I've been most agitated about in the past two seasons. Especially when he was so damn good in the first three seasons.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don't believe you-

Confirmed Hanging Scene
Michelle Fairley has been seen on location with co-stars.
3rd epsiode is called 'Oathbreaker' which is what LSH says to Brienne.

Episode titles have been released ? Can someone link me please.

That's unconfirmed rumors of a hanging scene, Michelle Fairley on set in Belfast where she lives, not in costume or makeup, and an episode called Oathbreaker way too early in the season for Brienne to be in the Riverlands yet.

If Stoneheart is in, it's been incredibly poorly written. You can't throw something like that in three years after the fact with zero hinting or foreshadowing. It could have worked in season 4, but once they passed on doing it then their course was set. There's no going back to it now.

On the other hand LSH being in would drive the theme of S6 which looks to be Starks finally getting some revenge, not dying, etc.

Yeah, there wasn't much of a point in showing Mel meeting with Thoros of Myr and learning about his resurrecting Beric if they weren't going to have her resurrect Jon. But of course that would mean they actually planned three seasons ahead for explaining something.

Lol where the fuck is Gendry

Completely his third lap around Westeros.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
The Lady Stoneheart rumors are going to persist until the credits roll on the last episode of the final season, aren't they? Not that I'm totally against that. Gotta admit I sorta enjoy seeing new LSH rumors before the start of each new season. It's become a fun little tradition at this point.

LSH being the new ''villain'' in the north/riverlands after Boltons/Freys would be a nice change of pace after Joffrey and Ramsay. Also one of those rare times viewers would be encouraged to root for Lannister (Jaime) over a Stark.

Also while I'm not a huge fan of LSH I feel like she would be a good thing to have to show after Jon resurrection that the Jesus stuff isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Kettch

LSH could have been great, if they had built it up soon after her death with characters talking about some unknown person killing Freys for a season. Had the potential to be a spectacular season finale that way, still baffles me that they didn't do it.

It'll just feel shoehorned in if they do it now though, with little to no build up.

LSH could have been great, if they had built it up soon after her death with characters talking about some unknown person killing Freys for a season. Had the potential to be a spectacular season finale that way, still baffles me that they didn't do it.

It'll just feel shoehorned in if they do it now though, with little to no build up.

They could still build it up this season in the Riverlands/brotherhood storyline and reveal the mastermind only at the end. And IIRC in the books she appears pretty much out of nowhere.

That said I don't expect her to appear on the show.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They could still build it up this season in the Riverlands/brotherhood storyline and reveal the mastermind only at the end. And IIRC in the books she appears pretty much out of nowhere.

She appears in an Epilogue.

Kettch

Yeah, for once this isn't a book purist complaint out of me. I thought they could do a lot more with her reveal than GRRM did.

RaidenZR

When Steely puts up the new thread, we need to have a pool going for people who think LSH is in or not this year. I'm ready to see people put their
fake
money where their mouth is.

bitbydeath

The Freys haven't been on the show since either, furthermore
Balon Greyjoy is still alive in the show and was cursed way back in season 3 which they are now just getting around to reintroducing.

Also it gives purpose for showing the brotherhood in the first place, as that has been their main role in the books.

Speevy

Banned
Prediction:

After the
Frey feast, all the named participants of the red wedding except Walder are dragged off into the woods. Walder himself has his throat slit in his bedroom.

Like, Sansa stabbing people? That's out of character, no? I could see her executing Littlefinger but slaying Freys in vengeance is a huge leap.

Sansa, if she rises to some sort of prominence in the north as evidenced in the recent trailer, could potentially get revenge against the Freys/Boltons without personally stabbing them. That's actually possible.

Speevy

Banned
Like, Sansa stabbing people? That's out of character, no? I could see her executing Littlefinger but slaying Freys in vengeance is a huge leap.

I don't think they would bring back all the Frey actors from season 3 if their only plan was to chat with Jaime.

Someone's dying.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I mean, they'd be on her list eventually, but her main aim would be Cersei and the Boltons, with Littlefinger going to #1 if she ever realizes his role with Ned. Frey's would be more of a Arya/LSH thing, as they were there/witnessed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom