• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Question (BIG spoiler question)

After the Boltons are gone, is it possible that Littlefinger could try to murder Sansa for Cersei, or was he totally lying to her?

Question (BIG spoiler question)

After the Boltons are gone, is it possible that Littlefinger could try to murder Sansa for Cersei, or was he totally lying to her?

I sincerely doubt it. He's the lord of the Vale and has no loyalty to the Lannisters, especially if their position is as precarious as it appears to be.

Iksenpets

Banned
The Freys haven't been on the show since either, furthermore
Balon Greyjoy is still alive in the show and was cursed way back in season 3 which they are now just getting around to reintroducing.

Also it gives purpose for showing the brotherhood in the first place, as that has been their main role in the books.

The Freys and Balon are assumed to still be alive and doing things off screen. The viewer has that expectation in place when those characters return after an absence. The unspoiled viewer has no reason to believe that Catelyn has been running around still alive for the past three years, and if you reveal it now, there's nothing in the previous seasons that they could go back to and say "Oh I should've seen it coming!" It would feel 100% out of nowhere to them.

Speevy

Banned
71 year old Balon has been sitting in the octopus room in front of his fireplace for three years just waiting for his 34 year old brother to invite him to the doom bridge.

bitbydeath

Don't we kind of know that
The Lannister's lay siege to Riverrun, which would seem to be the logical end for Walder Frey

Freys and Lannisters are allies. The siege at Riverrun was about taking out the remaining Tullys

The Freys and Balon are assumed to still be alive and doing things off screen. The viewer has that expectation in place when those characters return after an absence. The unspoiled viewer has no reason to believe that Catelyn has been running around still alive for the past three years, and if you reveal it now, there's nothing in the previous seasons that they could go back to and say "Oh I should've seen it coming!" It would feel 100% out of nowhere to them.

It was 100% out of no where in the books too, it occured in an epiliouge where Arya was first learning to Warg which also hasn't occured yet in the show either.

Maybe her going blind will kickstart that ability.

FootballFan

Including Lady Stoneheart would not have ruined Jon`s revival
Remember that when LSH comes back she is not the same anymore, "She hates" ,the anticipation would have been to see how 'damaged' Jon would be after coming back. LSH would have set the standard as an undead ruthless killer and people would anticipate the same for Jon I assume.

Iksenpets

Banned
Freys and Lannisters are allies. The siege at Riverrun was about taking out the remaining Tullys

It was 100% out of no where in the books too, it occured in an epiliouge where Arya was first learning to Warg.

That was only a handful of chapters after her death though. The show would've had to bring her back in 310 to make it work exactly like in the book. Once they decided to omit that and delay any reveal beyond that point, they had a bigger storytelling burden necessary to sell the resurrection, and they haven't done that work at all. Maybe they'll do it anyway, I just think it would be a bad idea at this point, given the decisions they made in seasons 3-5.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Including Lady Stoneheart would not have ruined Jon`s revival
Remember that when LSH comes back she is not the same anymore, "She hates" ,the anticipation would have been to see how 'damaged' Jon would be after coming back. LSH would have set the standard as an undead ruthless killer and people would anticipate the same for Jon I assume.

nobody remembers beric dondarrion

bitbydeath

That was only a handful of chapters after her death though. The show would've had to bring her back in 310 to make it work exactly like in the book. Once they decided to omit that and delay any reveal beyond that point, they had a bigger storytelling burden necessary to sell the resurrection, and they haven't done that work at all. Maybe they'll do it anyway, I just think it would be a bad idea at this point, given the decisions they made in seasons 3-5.

We'll have to wait and see but even George said she is a major character that should be on the show.

http://whatculture.com/tv/george-r-r-martin-wants-lady-stoneheart-on-game-of-thrones

Sheroking

I read that spoiler as the "Lannister's lay siege on Riverrun", and thought something must have happened this year to precipitate a falling out. The Lannister's arriving to support Frey makes more sense than that.

FootballFan

don't know if i brought this up before but is there any fear out there that the show and reactions to its content by the masses impacts how GRRM writes his material, as in would he change his original plans in order to appease readers?

Speevy

Banned
don't know if i brought this up before but is there any fear out there that the show and reactions to its content by the masses impacts how GRRM writes his material, as in would he change his original plans in order to appease readers?

He's addressed this many times. It doesn't.

mantidor

Like, Sansa stabbing people? That's out of character, no? I could see her executing Littlefinger but slaying Freys in vengeance is a huge leap.

Well not that of course, but wherever LSH was the catalyst Sansa will be instead.

Like from trailers, previews and leaks from set (somewhat big spoilers)
we know Brienne saves Sansa and Theon, we also know she ends up in the Riverlands, Sansa probably doesn't attempt to hang Brienne but she will send her to the Riverlands somehow, Brienne's only "duty" lies with Sansa now, there is no other possible reason for Brienne to go there if not for Sansa's orders.

Speevy

Banned
tumblr_n6itceD6OO1qhfadgo2_500.gif

There looks to be another swordsman fighting for the Targaryens. Any ideas?

Hard to tell who's who really. In the books each of the kingsguard has his own unique flair to tell one apart. Neither of the knights in the trailer shown anything unique except one kingsguard dual wielding

NeoGiff

The guy playing the dual-wielding Kingsguard is Luke Roberts, who some posters here will know as Woodes Rogers in Black Sails season 3. We've suspected for a long time that he's playing
Arthur Dayne in the TOJ flashback

Iksenpets

Banned
The guy playing the dual-wielding Kingsguard is Luke Roberts, who some posters here will know as Woodes Rogers in Black Sails season 3. We've suspected for a long time that he's playing
Arthur Dayne in the TOJ flashback

So dual-wielding Arthur Dayne is going to be the book-purist freak-out moment for this season, isn't it?

Turin

Banned
I guess he left Dawn at Starfall.

I mean, I can understand why they won't just throw in a cool big ass sword into a TV show just for fan service. People will want to see it again and it probably isn't important. A mention of where the Morning Sword left his morning sword would be nice.

Iksenpets

Banned
She's going to get beheaded. I doubt they spend more than 5 minutes in Dorne in the whole season.

Lol, the idea that they're just going to execute Ellaria and cut off the Dorne plot there is just wishful thinking. They will find some way to weasel Doran out of his threat to kill her and keep those characters going.

Speevy

Banned
Lol, the idea that they're just going to execute Ellaria and cut off the Dorne plot there is just wishful thinking. They will find some way to weasel Doran out of his threat to kill her and keep those characters going.

You want to use that ax, but you need the bad pussy.

bitbydeath

I'm sure Cersei will want a lot more than just Ellarias head, will likely be all out war with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom