• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

John Dunbar

correct about everything
They would need to read the book first.

Maesters: "Here's a book from the High Septon, throw it on the shelf."

If it was a message sent by raven they would've at least read it.

but there being no ravens or anything but a random note in a bowel movement diary doesn't really make sense to me. i don't understand the point of having a high septon perform annulments in secret. sort of defeats the purpose.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
He was just a novice. Just like Jon/Sam were, until they said their vows. I assume the Citadel has something similar, but I don't this the book has went in depth yet.

Yeah but he's still a member of the Night's Watch too. He can't inherit shit unless the Night's Watch gets disbanded or something.

edit: Speaking of the Night's Watch, wouldn't it be funny if the truth of it is that the "Night's" in "Night's Watch" is the used for the same purpose as the "Night's" in the "Night's King"?

Shymalalalalmman.jog

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I thought it was clear that Arya was waiting for Sansa to say something about Rickon but only got silence and that is when she knew he was dead.

Rickon will play the role of keeping Davos away from Stannis' impending failure at Winterfell
I hope Davos gets to Skagos and finds a half eaten Rickon and Osha offering him some of the little lord.

JWiLL

Banned
About the "Tyrion is a Targ" theories - I don't believe this is show canon, but book Tyrion was born with a tail, no? (It's been awhile since I read them, but thought this was talked about quite a bit)

Also, there's the whole constant dreaming of dragons bit, which I believe the show HAS mentioned, though not in the same amount of detail of course.

I don't think this will happen on the show, but I do think it will in the books.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When Dany took over all the khalasars at Vaes Dothrak, did she make them denounce slavery? I don't remember.

I mean, it would seem rather hypocritical if Dany makes such a big fuss about the culture of slavery in Mereen, and then doesn't change anything about the Dothraki culture either.

Did they cover this at all? Besides that part in the first book/season 1 where she takes all the women slaves for herself to protect them.

Faddy

Banned
but there being no ravens or anything but a random note in a bowel movement diary doesn't really make sense to me. i don't understand the point of having a high septon perform annulments in secret. sort of defeats the purpose.

Maybe the High Septon thought best to keep quiet after Rhaegar died and Robert was on the throne. Why risk enraging the King?

On the same sort of subject, the "maester" who wrote the World of Ice and Fire is an idiot as well. Here King Joffrey is a book saying your grandmother was a whore (and a huge history of the Tagaryan Kings)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right my point being that Sam doesnt give a shit about the nights watch since he still considers his father his, well, father.

I think you can be a member of the Night's Watch and still acknowledge your family. You just can't inherit anything.

e.g. Benjen still considers the Starks his family, as does Jeor Mormont still considers Jorah to be his son.

Fuzzy

Maybe the High Septon thought best to keep quiet after Rhaegar died and Robert was on the throne. Why risk enraging the King?

On the same sort of subject, the "maester" who wrote the World of Ice and Fire is an idiot as well. Here King Joffrey is a book saying your grandmother was a whore (and a huge history of the Tagaryan Kings)
If it didn't have his name every few sentences I doubt Joffrey would've read it any way. ;)

Faddy

Banned
If it didn't have his name every few sentences I doubt Joffrey would've read it any way. ;)

Maybe Cersei or Tywin would have a look. Or Tyrion.

I don't think any Lannister would be happy with the way that maester gives an account of Joanna. It is pretty stupid even as a conceit.

YO

Given how easy it was for Tyrion to get into the red keep.

Why not send in some assassins to sort out the whole cersei issue? No more soldiers would die, no risk of harming the small folk.

ZOONAMI

In the show, it makes no sense, in the books, cuz hes a Blackfyre supposedly.

Well, in the show they kind of depicted it as him being fat, lazy, and greedy, and not worthy of the crown yadayadayada, but that's pretty much your standard king and I have no idea why you'd want another targ in there after the mad king. Buy it sort of seems like maybe Varys is a targ so maybe just fighting for his families rightful claim. The mellisandre conversation on the show seemes to kind of suggest there's more to Varys than what we know. I think he's a targ.

^He did conspire to have a targ(s) return as rightful heirs to the throne.

Fuzzy

Saw this today but I think they originally released the pic last week. IKEA Release Instructions on How to Make ‘Game of Thrones’ Cape

HBO’s epic Game of Thrones might be one of the most costly television shows to produce, but that doesn’t stop the set designers from being stingy.

As it turns out, some of the capes worn by Night’s Watch are actually just IKEA rugs, head costume designer Michele Clapton revealed at a talk last year. The price tag? An easy $79 (USD).

Upon noticing that their products made it into the world of Westeros, IKEA have responded with printable instructions on how to turn their sheepskin rugs into Game of Thrones capes.

tQhbXRXl.jpg
:lol

Gigglepoo

Except it wasn't prosperous. The crown's vaults were emptied, huge borrowing from the Lannisters and Iron Bank.

Yeah, well, peaceful at least. And that usually means spending less on military and more on practical things. But we don't know exactly how well everyone was doing financially. Probably a lot better than now.

Still, Robert seemed like a fine king. Not great but alright. Can't ask for better than that!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Except it wasn't prosperous. The crown's vaults were emptied, huge borrowing from the Lannisters and Iron Bank.

bit of economic fumbling is enough for varys best-for-the-realm™ merman to destabilize the continent and create a series of civil wars.

Fuzzy

Yeah, well, peaceful at least. And that usually means spending less on military and more on practical things. But we don't know exactly how well everyone was doing financially. Probably a lot better than now.

Still, Robert seemed like a fine king. Not great but alright. Can't ask for better than that!
All he cared about was eating, drinking, and fucking.

bitbydeath

About the "Tyrion is a Targ" theories - I don't believe this is show canon, but book Tyrion was born with a tail, no? (It's been awhile since I read them, but thought this was talked about quite a bit)

That was brought up in the show as well.

Oberyn Martell: The whole way from Dorne all anyone talked about was the monster that had been born to Tywin Lannister. A head twice the size of his body, a tail between his legs, claws, one red eye, the privates of both a girl and a boy.

Tyrion Lannister: That would have made things so much easier.

Oberyn Martell: When we met your sister, she promised she would show you to us. Every day we would ask. Every day she would say, "Soon." Then she and your brother took us to your nursery and... she unveiled the freak. Your head was a bit large. Your arms and legs were a bit small, but no claw. No red eye. No tail between your legs. Just a tiny pink cock. We didn't try to hide our disappointment. "That's not a monster," I told Cersei. "That's just a baby." And she said, "He killed my mother." And she pinched your little cock so hard, I thought she might pull it off. Until your brother made her stop. "It doesn't matter," she told us. "Everyone says he will die soon. I hope they are right. He should not have lived this long."

Gigglepoo

All he cared about was eating, drinking, and fucking.

Yeah, and he got good men to rule as his Hand. Am I the lone voice in Robert's Defense Force? It seems like if you really care about the commoners (as Varys claims) you'd avoid war and help the king rule as effectively as possible. Starting another war for the good of the people is as stupid as starting a siege at King's Landing to keep deaths low.

Fuzzy

Yeah, and he got good men to rule as his Hand. Am I the lone voice in Robert's Defense Force? It seems like if you really care about the commoners (as Varys claims) you'd avoid war and help the king rule as effectively as possible. Starting another war for the good of the people is as stupid as starting a siege at King's Landing to keep deaths low.
He put LF in charge of the money and he not only bankrupted the Crown but also the Lannisters.

There's no way cersei can be pregnant

It goes against Maggy the frog
That ship sailed in the first season in a conversation with Cat.

JakeD

i may be wrong but show varys never plotted against Robert and didnt start scheming for Dany til after the war of the 5 kings started

edit: oh yeaah the arya spying scene under the red keep....yeah ok it doesnt make sense for current varys

Gigglepoo

He put LF in charge of the money and he not only bankrupted the Crown but also the Lannisters.

I feel like we're talking past each other. Varys says he only cares about the well-being of the common folk. Was the realm so terrible under Robert that it was worth going to war to overthrow him and subsequently kill thousands and thousands of commoners?

Neece

Bankrupting the kingdom before Winter doesn't seem like a "fine" king. Holding tourneys with huge purses and feasts every other fortnight. It took Ned 5 seconds to learn that he wasn't spending on practical things, and ignoring Jon Arryn and his other advisors.

https://youtu.be/kxfvYnqmCGM?t=1m33s

i may be wrong but show varys never plotted against Robert and didnt start scheming for Dany til after the war of the 5 kings started

Pretty sure Illyrio Mopatis supports Viserys from the beginning and Arya overhears him and Varys talking about some kind of plot, so I think he might have also supported the Targaryens from the start, which makes no sense really.

Faddy

Banned

bit of economic fumbling is enough for varys best-for-the-realm™ merman to destabilize the continent and create a series of civil wars.

The realm was on the brink of civil war with Robert's whoring, Cersei's incest, Stannis' devine cause, Renly and Loras hubris, Littlefinger's scheming. All those are directly laid at Robert being a shit king.

Daenerys is pretty much a sideshow untol she arrives in Westeros and look what has happened to the continent. Seems like Varys was right to back another horse as the world has gone to shit.

Fuzzy

I feel like we're talking past each other. Varys says he only cares about the well-being of the common folk. Was the realm so terrible under Robert that it was worth going to war to overthrow him and subsequently kill thousands and thousands of commoners?
What was going to happen when the Iron Bank came to collect? This was going to blow up whether Varys did anything or not.

I feel like the show is going to paint Rhaegar and Lyanna as tragic lovers despite the fact that Rhaegar left his sick wife, proceeded to make his own children bastards by marrying someone else, and then left them with his crazy ass dad.

That's the vibe I get from the books too though. Everyone always thinks highly of Rhaegar, except for Robert, obviously. But yeah if Rhaegar hadn't eloped with Lyanna things would've gone pretty different.

Moff

I think it was his conviction, that only the Targaryens could provide a stable realm for generations. He also saw the tension ins King's Landing between the Baratheons, Lannisters and other houses firsthand and expected it to not end well. In the scene between Illyrio and Varys, where Arya spies on them, Illyrios says "What good is war now, we are not ready" I think they have known that war is coming either way to Roberts unstable realm and the Targaryen Dynasty was in their mind the best for the realm to replace it.

Neece

I think it was his conviction, that only the Targaryens could provide a stable realm for generations. He also saw the tension ins King's Landing between the Baratheons, Lannisters and other houses firsthand and expected it to not end well. In the scene between Illyrio and Varys, where Arya spies on them, Illyrios says "What good is war now, we are not ready" I think they have known that war is coming either way to Roberts unstable realm and the Targaryen Dynasty was in their mind the best for the realm to replace it.

Yes, Vary's would have been perceptive enough to see the sharks swimming all around King's Landing, just waiting. There were so many ambitious schemers at court, preying on Robert's failures. Vary's knew war was inevitable.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
What if... the 'broad strokes' GRRM is giving D&D are just jokes and he's testing if they go along with them. George comes home after a meeting and says to his wife: "And then I told them 7 heroes, including Gendry, need to cage a wight and bring it to Cersei to make her believe. They bought it lol"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The realm was on the brink of civil war with Robert's whoring, Cersei's incest, Stannis' devine cause, Renly and Loras hubris, Littlefinger's scheming. All those are directly laid at Robert being a shit king.

Daenerys is pretty much a sideshow untol she arrives in Westeros and look what has happened to the continent. Seems like Varys was right to back another horse as the world has gone to shit.

you're basically saying robert was a shit king because he was a cuckold. talk about victim blaming.

renly and stannis would never have done anything as long as robert was alive or had a baratheon son. because they did not accept joffrey as his, there was a succession crisis of sorts. nothing a dead man could do about that.

him whoring is almost entirely irrelevant to his ruling. i cannot name a single bastard or mistress who had any effect on the realm beyond annoying cersei.

littlefinger messing with the economy was a problem, and mr. best-for-the-realm could certainly have tried to do something about that, but hey, let's support foreign invaders instead. so much easier than slitting littlefinger's throat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What if... the 'broad strokes' GRRM is giving D&D are just jokes and he's testing if they go along with them. George comes home after a meeting and says to his wife: "And then I told them 7 heroes, including Gendry, need to cage a wight and bring it to Cersei to make her believe. They bought it lol"

What he probably said was said "did you make sure I was booked for 8 more conventions in the next 5 months? Make sure none of them are on Sunday since I have to watch the entire NFL slate."

Moff

I definitely think that Varys, regardless of his intentions in both the books and the show, should have killed Littlefinger long before the saga even started. It does not make sense he didn't. He certainly was a way bigger threat to his plans than Kevan ever was.

Sony

Nintendo

Rather writing fake stories than finish his books? Sounds like Martin alright =p

Gigglepoo

But Varys doesn't tell Dany he only likes Targs. Instead he said he was all about the common folk. Unless in remembering wrong.

jfkgoblue

what?
so you think Varys, in the books, does not know that Aegon is a Blackfyre?

Damn, that would certainly trash the image I had of Varys.
I'm saying he does know that Aegon is a Blackfyre, which is why Varys as a fellow Blackfyre wants him in the throne.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I definitely think that Varys, regardless of his intentions in both the books and the show, should have killed Littlefinger long before the saga even started. It does not make sense he didn't. He certainly was a way bigger threat to his plans than Kevan ever was.

I feel like they had sort of a mutually assured destruction kind of unspoken agreement going on. Like, he could plot to kill Littlefinger, but the increased risk to Varys' own life wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Just an assumption. I don't really remember if Varys every really stated anything explicitly regarding that topic.

Moff

I'm saying he does know that Aegon is a Blackfyre, which is why Varys as a fellow Blackfyre wants him in the throne.

But you sad he wanted Robert gone because he was a blackfyre as well? how would that make sense if he was a fellow Blackfyre? Or did I misunderstand you?

Top Bottom