• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unpopular TV takes?

Mine is that I didn't like True Detective season 1 much. I LOVED the mid portion of the show when it focused on drama between the main duo and their families but the rest of it just felt like a boring endless goose chase. The detective work is mostly just go to point a to talk to someone who has a lead then go to point b to get the next lead, rinse and repeat. It could have done with more moments like when Cohle infiltrated the bikers gang to find a lead, which were much more exciting since they were putting themselves in danger. But those moments are far and few in between. The finale kind of felt weird and anticlimactic as well.

Oh and also, Prison Break Season 2 is peak TV.

Last edited:
A part of me misses procedural shows where the cast would have an entirely new case every week. There are still a few good ones around, like The Rookie with Nathan Fillion, but for the most part they have been replaced with reality TV, contest shows, shows trying to be the next GoT or Breaking Bad, or people adapting popular books into limited series.

I feel like because of this, we will never have a new Star Trek that comes close to what TNG managed to do, because they’re either too silly or way too serious, both missing the point.

The Orville was the closest a show ever came to being TNG-like.

bender

What time is it?
I watched 5 minutes of that Blue Eyed Samurai show on Netflix and I noped out

That was cringe as fuck, not to mention, woke and Feminazi too. I was rolling my eyes during those 5 minutes

I don't really care one way or the other about "woke", I just hated how predictable the episode was.

GymWolf

I know people love that lol arcane show but i thought it was a piece of shit with terrible protagonists, the crazy little sister was downright terrible, i couldn't even finish it when i realized that the little crazy bitch was the actual protagonist.

Great art design tho.

1.) A lot of the “Great tv” is not all that “great”. The majority of content is either garbage or barely passable that releases annually. It is heavily influenced by media outlets and not letting tv show’s stand on their own merits.

2.) Most tv show’s seasons should only be 5-10 episodes a season. They go on too long and I believe it dilutes the quality of the seasons.

3.) Even if a show is procedural then it needs better writing. Creators have too many “throw away“ episodes.

Show’s like Lost, 24, Halt and Catch Fire, Nip Tuck, and many more are carried by a great first season, and a specific “shock moment” in later season that carries it.

Papa_Wisdom

TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise are all superior to the original Star Trek.

Star Trek Enterprise is also a really good show.
Agreed I loved ds9 and enterprise was cut short just as it was getting into its groove.

Also Babylon 5, Farscape and battle star galactica are amazing

Drawn together is superior to American dad and family guy. Though South Park is still the best hands down.

Daria was also fucking amazing.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
and Band of Brothers/The Pacific next

BoB is the greatest show of all time. I have seen it about 20 times. You should also read the book.

The Pacific is good, but it is not BoB good. I think there is a disconnect between the characters compared to BoB. They also focus one whole episode on a romance. It is also based on 2 books. It doesn't feel as cohesive.

Toots

Gold Member
Drag Race France is better than the original
Sassy Gay Pride GIF

Davesky

Lost is actually a great tv show if you think of the plot as a metaphor for the karmic cycle of death and rebirth and eventually reaching enlightenment. The island is actually an analogy of the reality we percieve within three dimensional space-time. Desmond’s story makes perfect sense with the well researched links between Near-Death Experiences and precognition.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Seinfeld is not funny. The main characters just come off as obnoxious (I know that's part of the schtick, but it fails to be humorous)

Big bang theory is in the same boat
Simon Helberg is actually funny though.
And would be the first one to get cancelled if it was still airing

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I wouldn’t write off a Blacklist comeback, Dexter proved that how shows come back for another season.

The Blacklist Sunglasses GIF by NBC

Doom85

Friends is not funny at all.

I would love to see a cut of just the scenes of Joey and Chandler together. The times I had to watch the show, those two’s interaction with each other was the only stuff I found funny, like their hijinks in London. The ladies are fine but not particularly funny, and Ross is insufferable.

bender

What time is it?
It's overtly meta and much sillier for it, and obviously David Simon had a massive axe to grind but I think it resolved every character's story pretty much perfectly.

To the detriment of his established characters which lead to unbelievable motivations combined with all that was being new being largely uninteresting. The only thing I consider perfect, is Omar's resolution.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Mine is that I didn't like True Detective season 1 much. I LOVED the mid portion of the show when it focused on drama between the main duo and their families but the rest of it just felt like a boring endless goose chase. The detective work is mostly just go to point a to talk to someone who has a lead then go to point b to get the next lead, rinse and repeat. It could have done with more moments like when Cohle infiltrated the bikers gang to find a lead, which were much more exciting since they were putting themselves in danger. But those moments are far and few in between. The finale kind of felt weird and anticlimactic as well.
I could not agree more. I really enjoyed the beginning and middle of TD S1, but when it wrapped up, I simply couldn't understand how over the moon everyone was. It felt like the final quarter of the show was the writers trying to break out of the corner they had painted themselves into. Some lazy/sloppy stuff, especially in the last two episodes.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Fawlty Towers in all it's shortness (and only 2 short seasons) was better than all of Monty Python: Flying Circus. Flying Circus skits were hit or miss. Some landed well and others seemed to appeal more toward shock or dark humor of the day. Fawlty Towers could have easily been a team project but it was evident that only Booth was interested in writing the exhaustive scripts with Cleese. Therefore, it really became their show and kept short; it never burned out or became repetitive.

In animation I have dozens. I'll say this if unpopular hot takes are welcome. He-Man and any other nostalgia people have for made-by-night, recycled model sheets and some of the poorest animation implementation of the 1980's is all evidenced that the show was a failure. Folks only remember it as 'great' because they (or their parents) were part of the merchandising cash cow it became. Filmation was known for mishandling anything that fell into their hands. Their animators hated them (and I've discussed this with a few), model sheets were some strange recycled outdated style from H/B or Ruby-Spears influence which looked more late-60s than anything 80s, outsourced studios were the absolute worst ones and mistakes can be linked all the way back to the boards. This was animating cartoons for toy companies who knew nothing about animation but were funding everything.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Here's another one. Tales from the Crypt the comic was okay. Tales from the Crypt the English movie was the best. Tales from the Crypt the 1989 TV series from HBO was sub-par.

And another. The Twilight Zone remake in the 80s was okay (there was a thread on this). The Twilight Zone the movie (1981) was sub-par mostly due to choppy editing (no pun intended respectfully to Vic). The Twilight Zone the original series is greater than all of those.

And one last one. Tales from the Darkside the movie was just a cash-in on anthology films like Creepshow. Tales from the Darkside the TV show even with it's low budget was great. Monsters (the likely forgotten TV spin-off of Tales from the Darkside TV) was awful and is nearly unwatchable.

Top Bottom