• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What TV shows would you reccomend?

jason10mm

Gold Member
On the animated front I really liked Scavengers Reign
49ae26f26931839ad88ac02777d6f24fc22a2134.jpg

It's about a group of people trying to survive (and possibly escape) from an alien planet on which they crashed landed on.
While the characters are compelling what I really enjoyed was the world itself. The visual style is great, it often almost looks like a Moebius work in motion, and the show focuses a lot on showcasing unique environments with weird, often unsettling, flora and fauna and the way they interact with each other (and the humans)
In a genre that's usually dominated by grey spaceship corridors or advanced alien tech, I really liked the approach of making alien biology the focus
I dug this as well but it kinda lost the plot in the middle and just became a travelogue of the weird and horrifying. Still no idea WTF was going on at the end with
the now organic robot having kids and the telekinetic sloth thing reverting to a baby and whoever the hell diseased cult it was that picked up the scavenger and damn did that poor mechanic kid get left on a planet surrounded by lesbians?

Audiophile

Gold Member
Everyone's Waiting:

HBO's "Six Feet Under" (2001-2005) is my personal favourite show of all-time.
Six-Feet-Under-2001.jpg
sixfeetunder.jpg
tile-1.webp
tv-show-six-feet-under-wallpaper-69f0089d115a4d4b66e7c8ef70e1264d.jpg
It was created and ran by Alan Ball who wrote American Beauty, receiving an Oscar (and who went on to do the first four seasons of the very different "True Blood"). It's a darkly comic and touching take on a family-run funeral home; It's also renowned for having the greatest TV finale of all time (not to mention the brutal lead up to it). Other than the slightest dip in the middle of Season 4 and a light peppering of circa-2000 teenage angst that is a touch dated, it's pretty much a perfect five season arc.​
It's not an easy watch at times and the characters can be awfully unappealing (they're "HBO characters" for sure), but it's worth sticking with for the pay off.​
Even if it's not always someone's cup of tea I regard it as an essential watch for human beings. It's valuable, important viewing. Both melancholic and life-affirming once you reach the finish line.​
"You can't take a picture of this, it's already gone..."​

Other lesser-known stuff I'd recommend:

Mrs. Davis (2023)​
tMr3mFACLuL4J7AEj8yDwcf5rnr.jpg
A batshit mini-series about a badass nun who's sort of literally married to restaurant Jesus while fighting an AI; among lots of other crazy globetrotting stuff. Includes an exploding head.​

Fleishman Is In Trouble (2022)​
dds2HufhMRTgQW8kOWlpVbXVvo1.jpg
Another mini-series, this time about a doctor whose wife goes AWOL in him. Worth it just to see Claire Danes' gut-wrenching scream.​

Maniac (2018)​
kCNl4QPstAqChFD0NnLpbDFG8ul.jpg
You guessed it, a mini-series. This one about an ultra-stylised retro-future where the two main characters (Jonah Hill & Emma Stone) go on a voyage in each other's minds during a weird medical trial. Atmospheric and oddly uplifting.​

Southland (2009-2013)​
pMwmVO4929JYTh8jl3HiFsap4qI.jpg
An absolute top-notch cop drama set in LA. Feels like a spiritual successor to The Shield (2002-2008) (also recommended) but more modern/digital and documentary-like in its aesthetic. Unfortunately it was cancelled after Season 06 and never got a full resolve.​

Pushing Daisies (2007-2009)​
oSRO8cGvve0pggPK9gHGItfl4j5.jpg
A completely unique, charming, cheeky and aesthetically peculiar; and colourful show. Created by Bryan Fuller who went on to make the Hannibal (2013-2015) TV show (recommended as well). About a pie-maker who can bring people back to life for one minute (or longer with consequences). Produced by Barry Sonnenfeld who directed MiB 1-3 & The Addams Family 1-2. Unfortunately finished after only two seasons, but they're still well worth it and while the ending isn't ideal it's not a cliff-hanger.​

Mr. Inbetween (2018-2021)​
cXviefgSi6KNhbbEjwOHqgpNQ0o.jpg
Australian comedy-dramas about a gun for hire. Satisfying "bad guy gets what's coming to him" type of show. A little cookie-cutter for a couple episodes but rapidly becomes addictive. Highly recommended with a solid three-season arc and shorter episodes.​

Better-known stuff I'd recommend:

Community (2009-2015)​
3KUjDt8XY7w2Ku70UE0SECmv1zP.jpg
One of the most inventive and addictive comedy shows I've ever watched. S01 is solid, S02-S03 are absolutely seminal and while S04-S06 are a bit rough and less well-regarded they're still great viewing. Has a touch of heart too. Highly recommended palette cleanser to be mixed with some of the heavy shit I've recommended above. Created by Dan Harmon who co-created and writes Rick & Morty. I'd also recommend Parks And Recreation (2009-2015) if you like this. There's a movie on the way... #sixseasonsandamovie​

Severance (2022-)​
lFf6LLrQjYldcZItzOkGmMMigP7.jpg
No need to spoil this one. Completely original and fresh show. Go in blind and enjoy! New season can't come soon enough.​

Silo (2023-)​
zBx1X06G1OlndbXTCZI13FECNz2.jpg
Set in an underground bunker-city where the outside may or may not be poisonous. Given the aesthetic and the setting it should be dull as hell and yet it's one of the best, most engaging shows I've seen as of late. Can't wait for S02 of this Apple show either.​

ted (2024-?)​
cPn71YFDENH0JkWUezlsLyWmLfN.jpg
Good, easygoing, entertaining fun. Comfort food TV. Popped one or two of these 35-55 minute episodes on each night last week and it was the TV-equivalent of throwing on a warm dressing gown and grabbing a hot water bottle after being out working on a winter's day. Consider pairing with alcohol or drugs!​

The obvious stuff:

All once again from HBO: Deadwood (2004-2006) + Deadwood: The Movie (2019), The Sopranos (1999-2007) & The Wire (2002-2008) ...unlike a lot of stuff here, The Wire won't grab your attention but will demand it. If you struggle with the first season try and push through to the latter end of the second as the expansiveness will come into focus.​
Dexter (2006-2013) was brilliant and I love the atmosphere of the show but unfortunately the main showrunner left halfway through the original run and the quality steadily declined and the ending in S08 was universally panned; then the original showrunner came back for "Dexter: New Blood" a few years back which was clunky and completely lacked any of the flare, tone and atmosphere that were a core part of the original show, not to mention a disappointing finale that just compounded the original ending. I'd recommend doing the first four seasons then see if there's anywhere you'd be prepared to gently disembark and cut your losses between S05-S07.​
Barry (2018-2023) and it's first two seasons are some of the most fun I've had watching anything for a long time. Three has its solid moments and four has a moment or two. Unfortunately the latter end of that final fourth season nosedives; one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a long time. Unfortunately the in thing now is subversion for subversion's sake.​

Other stuff:
As you mentioned shorter-running stuff I'd also add in Sharp Objects (2018) and Love & Death (2023); both excellent HBO mini-series. I actually sat down to watch each of these in the early evening and finished them by early morning. Seasons 1, 2 & 3 of the Fargo (2014-) anthology series are all great. Midnight Mass (2021) is very high quality if you're ok with talky stuff with long monologue-esque scenes. Finally I'd add The Looming Tower (2018) which goes into the rivalry between the intelligence agencies and events leading up to 9/11; and Chernobyl (2019) which while a little loose with the facts and depictions, is very good at creating a mood and atmosphere that puts you in it -- an incredibly engaging watch.​

Last edited:

Aggelos

I've just finished the 1st season of "You are Wanted" directed by Matthias Schweighöfer and Bernhard Jasper and starring, of course, Schweighöfer.
It was pretty nice and keeps you on your toes. It was renewed and spawned (for) a 2nd season.

tiu6xqB.jpg

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Everyone's Waiting:

Six-Feet-Under-2001.jpg
sixfeetunder.jpg
tile-1.webp
It was created and ran by Alan Ball who wrote American Beauty, receiving an Oscar (and went on to do the first four season of the very different "True Blood"). It's a darkly comic and touching take on a family-run funeral home; It's also renowned for having the greatest TV finale of all time (not to mention the brutal lead up to it). Other than the slightest dip in the middle of Season 4 and a light peppering circa-2000 teenage angst that is a touch dated, it's pretty much a perfect five season arc.​
It's not an easy watch at times and the characters can be awfully unappealing (they're "HBO characters" for sure), but it's worth sticking with for the pay off.​
Even if it's not always someone's cup of tea I regard it as an essential watch for human beings. It's valuable, important viewing. Both melancholic and life-affirming once you reach the finish line.​

Mrs. Davis (2023)​
A batshit mini-series about a badass nun who's sort of literally married to restaurant Jesus while fighting an AI; among lots of other crazy globetrotting stuff. Includes an exploding head.​

Another mini-series, this time about a doctor whose wife goes AWOL in him. Worth it just to see Claire Danes' gut-wrenching scream.​

Maniac (2018)​
You guessed it, a mini-series. This one about an ultra-stylised retro-future where the two main characters (Jonah Hill & Emma Stone) go on a voyage in each other's minds during a weird medical trial. Atmospheric and oddly uplifting.​

Southland (2009-2013)​
An absolute top-notch cop drama set in LA. Feels like a spiritual successor to The Shield (2002-2008) (also recommended) but more modern/digital and documentary-like in its aesthetic. Unfortunately it was cancelled after Season 06 and never got a full resolve.​

A completely unique, charming, cheeky and aesthetically peculiar; and colourful show. Created by Bryan Fuller who went on to make the Hannibal (2013-2015) TV show (recommended as well). About a pie-maker who can bring people back to life for one minute (or longer with consequences). Produced by Barry Sonnenfeld who directed MiB 1-3 & The Addams Family 1-2. Unfortunately finished after only two seasons, but they're still well worth it and while the ending isn't ideal it's not a cliff-hanger.​

Australian comedy-dramas about a gun for hire. Satisfying "bad guy gets what's coming to him" type of show. A little cookie-cutter for a couple episodes but rapidly becomes addictive. Highly recommended with a solid three-season arc and shorter episodes.​

Community (2009-2015)​
One of the most inventive and addictive comedy shows I've ever watched. S01 is solid, S02-S03 are absolutely seminal and while S04-S06 are a bit rough and less well-regarded they're still great viewing. Has a touch of heart too. Highly recommended palette cleanser to be mixed with some of the heavy shit I've recommended above. Created by Dan Harmon who co-created and writes Rick & Morty. I'd also recommend Parks And Recreation (2009-2015) if you like this. There's a movie on the way... #sixseasonsandamovie​

Severance (2022-)​
No need to spoil this one. Completely original and fresh show. Go in blind and enjoy! New season can't come soon enough.​

Silo (2023-)​
Set in an underground bunker-city where the outside may or may not be poisonous. Given the aesthetic and the setting it should be dull as hell and yet it's one of the best, most engaging shows I've seen as of late. Can't wait for S02 of this Apple show either.​

ted (2024-?)​
Good, easygoing, entertaining fun. Comfort food TV. Popped one or two of these 35-55 minute episodes on each night last week and it was the TV-equivalent of throwing on a warm dressing gown and grabbing a hot water bottle after being out working on a winter's day. Consider pairing with alcohol or drugs!​

The obvious stuff:

All once again from HBO: Deadwood (2004-2006) + Deadwood: The Movie (2019), The Sopranos (1999-2007) & The Wire (2002-2008) ...unlike a lot of stuff here, The Wire won't grab your attention but will demand it. If you struggle with the first season try and push through to the latter end of the second as the expansiveness will come into focus.​
Dexter (2006-2013) was brilliant and I love the atmosphere of the show but unfortunately the main showrunner left halfway through the original run and the quality steadily declined and the ending in S08 was universally panned; then the original showrunner came back for "Dexter: New Blood" a few years back which was clunky and completely lacked any of the flare, tone and atmosphere that were a core part of the original show, not to mention a disappointing finale that just compounded the original ending. I'd recommend doing the first four seasons then see if there's anywhere you'd be prepared to gently disembark and cut your losses between S05-S07.​
Barry (2018-2023) and it's first two seasons are some of the most fun I've had watching anything for a long time. Three has its solid moments and four has a moment or two. Unfortunately the latter end of that final fourth season nosedives; one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a long time. Unfortunately the in thing now is subversion for subversion's sake.​

Other stuff:
As you mentioned shorter-running stuff I'd also add in Sharp Objects (2018) and Love & Death (2023); both excellent HBO mini-series. I actually sat down to watch each of these in the early evening and finished them by early morning. Seasons 1, 2 & 3 of the Fargo (2014-) anthology series are all great. Midnight Mass (2021) is very high quality if you're ok with talky stuff with long monologue-esque scenes. Finally I'd add The Looming Tower (2018) which goes into the rivalry between the intelligence agencies and events leading up to 9/11; and Chernobyl (2019) which while a little loose with the facts and depictions, is very good at creating a mood and atmosphere that puts you in it -- an incredibly engaging watch.​
Amazing suggestions. You have great taste my friend!

Everyone's Waiting:

Six-Feet-Under-2001.jpg
sixfeetunder.jpg
tile-1.webp
It was created and ran by Alan Ball who wrote American Beauty, receiving an Oscar (and went on to do the first four season of the very different "True Blood"). It's a darkly comic and touching take on a family-run funeral home; It's also renowned for having the greatest TV finale of all time (not to mention the brutal lead up to it). Other than the slightest dip in the middle of Season 4 and a light peppering circa-2000 teenage angst that is a touch dated, it's pretty much a perfect five season arc.​

Mrs. Davis (2023)​

Maniac (2018)​

Southland (2009-2013)​

Community (2009-2015)​

Severance (2022-)​

Silo (2023-)​

ted (2024-?)​

The obvious stuff:

Other stuff:

I got a question, you seen Carnivàle? I've been watching that recently and that's a show you should check out if you haven't watched it.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I got a question, you seen Carnivàle? I've been watching that recently and that's a show you should check out if you haven't watched it.

Funnily enough I just finished watching it. I like a lot about it but I found the pace became glacial (which is saying something cause I often like slower pacing); which was further compounded by the very dull aesthetic/settings that never really change as well as the Nick Stahl lead having an irritating case of the "reluctant protagonist" for a good chunk of it. However, the latter end of the second season really picked up nicely. I believe it was planned as 6 seasons with each 2 seasons representing a "book" made up for two volumes; but it was cancelled after the first two seasons or first "book". Still worth sticking with though, it's still a solid show and not a frustrating, overly-open end or anything.

Mr1999

Battlestar Galactica, first 3 episodes might be hard to get over, but trust me, its worth it. I wish my memory erased so I could watch it all over again. But other than that the usual, Sopranos, ROME, Spartacus, etc

jason10mm

Gold Member
Battlestar Galactica, first 3 episodes might be hard to get over, but trust me, its worth it. I wish my memory erased so I could watch it all over again. But other than that the usual, Sopranos, ROME, Spartacus, etc
Wait, what? The "pilot" mini-series and that first ep "33 seconds" or whatever is about PEAK BSG for me, really they never quite hit those highs again. So many strange and weird things were introduced (like the glowing spine) that just got dropped in favor of more and more wacky head-Six stuff.

I've not gone back to BSG after it aired but I do wonder how well it holds up.

Now Babylon Five, THERE'S a show that had a rocky first season but then knocked it out of the park for 3 years!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The "modern" Battlestar Galactica is probably my favorite show ever so I'll always recommend that. Vikings is also really good.

Valonquar

Zfcyyo_EuplRHyXqmGFHQaraNB4t_lLix9HR8CJ4AmYutn1gUKKrm2cWsXafn_KYfdY=w240-h480-rw

IT Crowd is short but sweet. They sort of step away from IT related humor a lot, but it's still got that fish out of water appeal.

MV5BNzRiNDcyZjItNzc1ZC00OTk3LWI3ZTItNDc0NTgxNjg3ZTZhL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NjgwODc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The show all the capeshit metoo shows want to be. First two seasons and Christmas special are the best but it stays fun the whole time.
MV5BZTY4Zjg2YzQtNGNjNC00YjdhLWE3OTMtYTM3YjRmNjBkZDE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_.jpg
1-502303218.jpg

Life on Mars & followup series Ashes to Ashes are a great twist on the standard police procedural. Great 70s\80s music callouts throughout. Gene Hunt is the best.

Deadwood for sure is a must watch, but would have been way better if there wasn't a 20 year gap before the movie happened. Still it's no small miracle they got as much of the cast back as they did.

I can't see how anyone can recommend Dexter after the mess of an ending. They really fuck up a lot of characters in irredeemable ways, it was the most hated ending to a show until that was dethroned by GoT's complete fuck you of an ending.

There's hardly anything on Apple+ that isn't worth a gander. Silo, Severance, Slow Horses are all great.

xrnzaaas

I was searching for something to fill the gap left after Gomorrah and ZeroZeroZero seems great so f ar. I loved the first 2 episodes. Gonna have to cherish the rest since it's only 8 eps in total. All 3 storylines from different parts of the world seem interesting, the action (and backstabbing) is good and I don't mind a bit more family drama here and there.

111.jpg

Top Bottom