• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

ZywyPL

Banned
why dynamic 1440p and 30fps on ps5 then ?

I think that while it might be true the geometry alone is as "taxing" as in Fortnite, by not rendering unnecessary polygons like those behind a corner, behind a wall, object etc., those that are indeed displayed, in the foreground, are so complex that they create such a strong strain for the lightning/shadowing calculations that sacrifices in framerate and resolution have to be made.

martino

I think that while it might be true the geometry alone is as "taxing" as in Fortnite, by not rendering unnecessary polygons like those behind a corner, behind a wall, object etc., those that are indeed displayed, in the foreground, are so complex that they create such a strong strain for the lightning/shadowing calculations that sacrifices in framerate and resolution have to be made.
you're right geometry is only a part of everything i was too quick to react
i stand corrected.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I read both of those and think the quotes have been used out of context(and other quotes intentionally omitted) to suggest that the ability to display the 20m visible micro polygons per frame(so 600m polys/sec) from billions of source polygons could be done with just the GPU of a switch/one/Ps4, as though it is no problem for a PC.

Brain Karis old may 15 tweet
"As some have noticed Nanite software rasterizes most of the triangles we draw! We have 2 different specialized software rasterizers running in async compute. Fast enough to fill the screen with micropolys. More cool info on #UE5, Nanite, and Lumen: "

From the above quote, either the reason the Fortnite at 60fps GPU geometry load on the PS5 is so light is because it is just rendering and lighting the animated geometry in the demo not processed by nanite/lumen. Or that the output from the two software renders is so optimal that it can render those micro polygons and the animated geometry without overdraw or redundant shading, etc.

The UE5 demo is capped at 1440p30 because of the limits of the software renderers running on the async compute- that are still being optimised - not the fixed path rasterization, etc processing of the GPU.

Lethal01

For my money, this is still the best Unreal tech demo..and the Hellblade 2 trailer showed shades of it, imo.

It's nice, but when they are moving around in freely I think it falls far behind the unreal demo.
This is a trailer built around picking perfect shots versus a demo that would be playable if not for corona.

Lethal01

We can only pray that Final Fantasy VII: Remake switches to UE5 for part 2.
Then we will get to see how a game that already has amazing Character and environmental design benefits from 10x the detail and way better lighting.

It's nice, but when they are moving around in freely I think it falls far behind the unreal demo.
This is a trailer built around picking perfect shots versus a demo that would be playable if not for corona.

Nah..looking back, I'll still take this quixel demo over the ue5 demo. Pretty easily too.

Top Bottom