• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

Fbh

Said it in another thread and I know it was probably there for aesthetics and to show closeups.

But after so much talk about no loading next gen it was funny seeing the king of hidden loading sequences: "character slowly squeezing through tight space"

Gutted that Final Fantasy 7 remake came out before UE5, can you imagine how much better all that Midgar rubble and debris would look using this new model/lod system!
Guess well have to wait for Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 1 Remastered

Last edited:

PSYGN

Damn. Microsoft have a lot of damn studios, according to Klobrille, that are or plan to use Unreal Engine V:

I think as time goes on and tech gets more specialized and timely to implement you will see more and more developers (even first party who have their own engine, there will come a point they will have to swallow their pride to keep pace) start to rely on game engines like UE to get these advancements out of the box. It'll continue to make too much business sense as these game engines continue to grow and buy out technologies and include them. Training will be faster, resources/assets will be readily available, and issues will be solved quicker since you have a core team focusing on the UE engine. This will help game developers focus on what makes their games unique and polish on those ideas. This will also mean that we'll get to experience an amazing baseline for next-gen games if this preview is anything to go by.

Some people are afraid that using the same engine will make the games look and feel the same, but that was early 2010's when everyone using the engine was making a dudebro FPS. I think UE has grown a lot in the last 10 years and we've seen it recreate many of our favorite games by hobbyists. There will still be proprietary engines being developed with ideas that are better executed than an all-in-one game engine, but I think engines like UE will eventually match or surpass these in-house engines to where the differences are no longer discernible. Interesting times ahead.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Down play this how ever you must to feel secure

What on Earth does this even mean? Secure in what, exactly?

Alternatively, would you like to offer up any pre-launch console "tech demo" that was matched on that platform within its lifespan? I'm having a hard time thinking of any. Remember that "Next Gen Madden" nonsense back at the 360 launch?

I don't think we've ever matched that PS4 "Dark Sorcerer" demo.

Even Breath of the Wild, the Wii U's last major release, didn't look this good:

And...pshahahahahaha...

Basically I'm in "I'll believe it when I'm playing it" mode.

Last edited:

Stuart360

So can this run on the base Xbox One? Because we know all Xbox Series X first-party games are tied to that console.
You say that in jest, but watch the DF vid. They talked with Epic and Epic said the demo shown could actually run on current gen systems, and look comparable. The demo wasnt simply a 'power' demonstration, but more demonstration of new techniques in UE5, that could work on current gen, with comprimises of course.

Business

I don't understand people not impressed by this. Normally I am the guy that says meh watching RT in Control or not getting my jaw dropped with GoT, that finds it ridiculous when he have to look for the differences in expensive graphical features in paused DF videos at 400% zoom. But this friends... don't you see the fucking geometry on these mountains and on these statues?? it really is out of this fucking world.

Vawn

Banned
You say that in jest, but watch the DF vid. They talked with Epic and Epic said the demo shown could actually run on current gen systems, and look comparable. The demo wasnt simply a 'power' demonstration, but more demonstration of new techniques in UE5, that could work on current gen, with comprimises of course.

If they show me something looking to comparable to this running on the original Xbox One, I'll eat my words. Until then, I'm calling BS (on them, not you).

Last edited:
Really cool, looks phenomenal, but I have to question the brown area choice. What the fuck, give me a sandy beach, a luxurious forest with a lot of color and some mushrooms growing and animals jumping and shit, give me a sky level where you're bouncing around in some clouds, give me a space oddity purple mega star flying sequence. Anything would have looked more impressive than a desert level, I can see myself sitting ass first behind a chest high wall in that demo and I'm not having any fun.

Dontero

Banned
On the live interview it was said that the demo was captured directly from a PS5 development kit using a capturing device.

Well that explains a lot. Devkits are usually just PCs before finalizing whole thing. Devkits themselves usually have double or triple amount of RAM/VRAM than normal version due to development needs and hardware is usually better than release version.

🤔

giphy.gif

I was talking about when it came out of that device before this scene. There is slight light here though which could mean i was wrong.

Shakka43

Would love it if they convert this into a full game.

The most exciting thing about next gen consoles Global Illumination and RT is the standardization so games can include it in their PC ports, the amount of games supporting RT so far has been lackluster to say the least.

Azurro

Banned
Extremely bland.

I bet with you the first Naughty Dog game made for the next gen is going to look much better than this.
This blew my mind away, I never dreamed I'd see so much freaking detail in terms of polygon count and lighting in real time on a console. PS5 is a beast. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking shit... that was incredible. I wasn't nearly as impressed as with the Unreal Engine 4 reveal, but this was nuts.

How are they doing this stuff like straight up importing of high-poly assets from ZBrush and just using them as-is?

That last part where she was flying looked, well, unreal. I hope Epic turns that into an actual game.

Riven326

Banned
I don't understand people not impressed by this. Normally I am the guy that says meh watching RT in Control or not getting my jaw dropped with GoT, that finds it ridiculous when he have to look for the differences in expensive graphical features in paused DF videos at 400% zoom. But this friends... don't you see the fucking geometry on these mountains and on these statues?? it really is out of this fucking world.
Because it's just more of the same. Games already look amazing. This is just a better looking game. It doesn't even begin to compare to what was happening in this industry a few generations ago. Developers back then were innovating and doing more with inferior hardware. That's why this doesn't impress me.

Loom back at Oblivion and compare it to Morrowind. NPCs actually had schedules and would replace other NPCs at shops if they were killed. Look at the simulated economy in Fable 2 and how, based on economic changes to the price of goods, etc, the AI would react and actually behave in unpredictable ways.

I bought all the properties in Bowerstone and upped all the prices. But I lowered the prices at the pub. The AI reacted by going to the pub, getting very drunk, and puking all over the place and in each other. It was amazing and hilarious! How many games have AI that will actually do that? That's the kind of advancements I want to see. Not better textures and lighting. As I said, that's an expected upgrade. It's something that will happen no matter what in this industry because of competition.

oldergamer

People need to calm down.

1. We rarely see a game come close to what Epic has done in tech demos each generation. Gears comes close, to some previous tech demos, but not anything released in the last 3 years.
2. Very few studio have access to movie quality data. Outside of creating it themselves, which is a LOT of work.
3. Games that use all of the unreal features are probably 2 - 3 years away as they just released unreal 5
4. This demo won't look any different on the XSX. It's unreal, a multiplatform engine. People shouldn't be fooling themselves.
5. No game will look this good at launch on either platform. Even Epics own games don't usually look as good as the Unreal tech demos.

Last edited:

John Day

That was amazing. That was beautiful. We need more showcases like this to know more about what the consoles are capable of. It’s summer already and they supposedly launch in the holidays. Bring it on!

GymWolf

These days it's all about the cinematic experience isn't it? I suppose that's why AI improvements have taken a back seat in comparison to visuals.
ia improvement is in the back seat since og xbox and halo1\fear1 era...cinematic experience has nothing to do with it.

Pretty impressive for running in real time as gameplay, which kinda separates it from tech demos of old but....its still a tech demo. There will probably be some games that get close to this level of fidelity but probably not most.

pr0cs

Epic really know how to get people jazzed for new gaming tech, ever since the early prototype of Unreal that showed Locusts before people even knew about Gears of War they've been killing it in regards to graphics tech.

Can't see what game devs come up with using this stuff

VFXVeteran

Banned
This should reestablish that generic renderers made for multiple platforms are the best at pushing the boundaries of tech further. It should also prove to the guys that attach themselves to the theory that only writing a custom engine gives the best results as wrong and no longer applicable.

A few things to keep in mind. This engine was being worked on for years and it's not because of the next-gen consoles that make this iteration of the engine possible.

Another thing of note is that it's not using ray-tracing for the GI.

Lastly, the killer tech in this demo is definitely the geometry detail. Very very astounding tech there. I can't wait to read the paper on it.

Finally I told you guys before that my old coworkers now at Epic are constantly striving to create the first CG movie in realtime using UE. This is yet another step towards that goal. :) Now I know why Balders Gate 3 looks so detailed. :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
People acting like actual games will never look this good. Remember the PS4 Elemental demo? Take a look back and tell me it doesn’t look rough by today’s ps4 standards

Yep. First thing I did was go back and watch that video. I remember it looking so crazy back in 2013, but today? Ehh, not so much.

Epic finally got their global illumination!

Last edited by a moderator:

DonF

This!! Good damn! Finally next gen tech demos! Looking awesome.

Remember unreal engine is one of the most used and versatile engines, this is a tech demo.

So hyped.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The funniest part of it: it's all "RTX OFF" as I have predicted.
To make cinematic level graphics you need a fast data streaming solution (SSD) and not RT.
I want to see a lot of crow eating...

OMG. Are you serious? You criticize Epic's engine every chance you can. Why are you now switching sides? And this demo has nothing to do with SSD. This demo is for every platform.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Its anything but damage control. Haha its the most impressive thing we have seen yet . U might not like it but from the likes 93% like it.

Well, of course is the most impressive thing we have seen yet, it’s the actual first next gen footage.

But again, not the best Epic tech demo.

So can this run on the base Xbox One? Because we know all Xbox Series X first-party games are tied to that console.
Unreal Engine team / Epic won't develop a new Multiplatform engine that couldn't be adapted on ANY hardware on the market, once stripped down of feature or lower resolution or other constrain

the idea of " Xbox series X will be constrained due to backwards compatibility " is a non sense theory, it's just what PC gaming is about ..
Min configuration specs req is VERY different to " raccomanded or best Hw" and visually there is often a lot of difference in between min quality setting for a pc games vs high ..

same thing is going to be applied next gen on the console environment.

UE5 will run as good (if not better) on Xbox Series X hw, and consequently MUCH better on pc hardware with latest technology that will be available ( 3080 RTX, higher specs cpu , more ram and so on )

Last edited:

SquireDalbridge

Neo Member
My opinion on the UNREAL Engine 5 is that the main Character does not look Good but The static environment
with the lighting looks brilliant. This is Another Deep down kind of Demo.
Because the character the girl can be even rendered on a Switch but the environment are next gen although
none of them have any movement

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
OMG. Are you serious? You criticize Epic's engine every chance you can. Why are you now switching sides? And this demo has nothing to do with SSD. This demo is for every platform.

Yes PS5 ran it 1440/30.
I bet my ass Series X has no problem running it 1600/30
And well RTX3080ti will chew through it 4K/30 with RT effects.

This is Epic. Their engine is for everyone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, of course is the most impressive thing we have seen yet, it’s the actual first next gen footage.

But again, not the best Epic tech demo.

It's actual gameplay in real time, the other demos were not. I think it's more impressive than their past video card demos. Especially the geometry detail with that draw distance and no loss to LOD or pop-in.

There will be an unforeseen effect of games using this high level of assets. It will promote game streaming. The problem is that although the console will be able to use this high level of detail, it will not be able to practically store it on the SSDs due to size limitations. Games simply won't be able to dump movie quality assets into their games because the games will be simply too big. However those limitations don't exist for game streaming. Streamed game could use the highest quality assets possible, so could in fact look better than locally rendered games.

They do? Well I think it's pretty easy to guess why they aren't criticizing them this time if you go through a bit of the thread ;)

I dunno how true the demo not having anything to do with the SSD is, though. I'd figure a nice chunk of it is in benefit of the SSD. The PS5's SSD is a beast on the hardware I/O level but I would assume this could run with no problems on XSX's SSD either and their specific software-based optimizations for things like texture compression and sampler feedback.

All the same, if they went with, say, maybe a Sabrent top-end SSD and targeted specifically that, they could probably get similar results if paired with a great GPU and CPU and only focusing on that locked spec. But hey, we got PS5 stuff for today and it's neat we got anything at all. And it looks amazing IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom