• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

geordiemp

You can see the demo is designed to run on anything desired. Stopgaps for loading the next section are all over the place. I guarantee you, this demo barely took any advantage of the PS5 SSD.

Yes you can guarantee me lol

Its hard to accept the ps5 is powerful, I get it.

Meltdowns are fun this morning, time for a bacon sandwich...

Last edited:
Epic obviously received cooperation from Sony to improve and adapt its engine to the specifics of the hardware, this demo may o may not use sony assets or direction but the important part is that the engine can use the console specifics to improve games made in it, the demo is just to show what can be done, you can change assets, make new scenes or create new mechanics if you want, in the future there will be more updates to improve things and correct bugs like any engine and also to adapt to changes and improvements that sony will do to the API

Its called getting dev kits from platform manufacturer. They have devkit of all consoles. Seriously stop trying yo become arm chair game designer. Its all part of marketing deal.

geordiemp

Ok nothing sensible to post. Ok good to know you understand now and stop with your nonsense fanboy theory.

Says the fanboy trying to downplay a Ps5 demo ina thread about a ps5 demo....

Are you timdog or colbert ?

Must fight to save the XSX...on every page...

I was just haveing soem fun this moring with the MS warriors before I start work.....see you later...keep fighting warrior

Last edited:
Epic obviously received cooperation from Sony to improve and adapt its engine to the specifics of the hardware, this demo may o may not use sony assets or direction but the important part is that the engine can use the console specifics to improve games made in it, the demo is just to show what can be done, you can change assets, make new scenes or create new mechanics if you want, in the future there will be more updates to improve things and correct bugs like any engine and also to adapt to changes and improvements that sony will do to the API
You can't be serious...I don't know why I'm even surprised, giving Sony credit for the Unreal Engine tech demo that Epic games made should have been exactly what I expected around here.

onQ123

I just noticed how the Epic guys almost exploded when Series X was mentioned... and then all this marketing fluff from sweeny. This marketing/PR with Sony doesnt even make sense to begin with when only 1 or so Studio used UE4...

Cool looking Demo but it really wasnt impressive to me. People forget that there is more to a game than just a empty desert setting without any AI etc...

So what was controlling the bugs & bats?

also how was this just a empty desert when it was 500 highly detailed statues?

sinnergy

No :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Others have commented on why it’s not the same as Hellblade already.

There is no raytracing because Epic wanted to show off the Lumens system in their engine. They were demoing their engine and not the PS5. The lighting in the demo is real time and looked pretty damn good, did you even listen to what they were saying when they talked about this.

Yes the engine is multi platform and will produce great results on all platforms. But it won’t look the same as that on all platforms as that demo relied on streaming assets on the fly from the SSD, and only PS5's solution is fast enough to do that to that degree.
It will look the same , they also said it needs a lot of TF, which Series X has more. What would this mean?

besides it looking good, where is the 4K 60 frames crowd, this is 1440 p , 30 frames.

its the same trick they always do.

just like I said in the end it’s only graphics that matter🤣 John and Alex declare this next-gen , but rock the 60 frames 4 K with anything else! Great stuff 👍🏻

btw I think it looks splendid.

Dontero

Banned
They were very honest last time, they released a version that represented what they thought the consoles could do, that ended up being surpassed over time.

Which game on current gen has full global illumination ? The only example i saw coming close was Killzone Shadowfall with its weird GI tech that could color surroundings but it couldn't do many things GI could like casting proper Ambient Occlusion.

The ever other game that is looking great uses most of the time baking. Baked GI, Baked shadows, Baked lighting etc.

Last edited:

fybyfyby

Wow, I dont understand many comments here. I looked on UE4 PS4 tech demo and it looks subpar to for example God of war or HZD. And that UE4 tech demo looks very outdated now when you compare it to UE5 tech demo. And there is more to it. Its alo about quality of assetts used. Imagine when someone really tries to optimize game for PS5 (or XSX) - optimize assetts, make normal maps, apply LODs, etc... I think future of gaming is very bright!

Sony aren't going to help one of the biggest engine developers optimize for their console?
Tell me specifically what you think Epic needed help with? What off the shelf PC parts were too complicated for the makers of Unreal Engine to wrap their heads around? Do you think the SSD speed was too fast for them to comprehend?

Shmunter

You can see the demo is designed to run on anything desired. Stopgaps for loading the next section are all over the place. I guarantee you, this demo barely took any advantage of the PS5 SSD.
Stunning and brave to claim the opposite to what was literally said. Ballzy.

GymWolf

You wish.. Decima also uses fast streaming...you know whats coming.

xyP0Rvv.jpg
A sociopath looking guy in a soapy bathtub?!

Last edited:

Shmunter

So what was controlling the bugs & bats?

also how was this just a empty desert when it was 500 highly detailed statues?
To add. I don't think we'll be short off CPU cycles this gen for AI/physics/sound.

It is a curious question however where the 30fps bottleneck is the demo. Looking at it, seemingly it's the GPU render load. They even said they don't need to worry about draw calls, which is interesting.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

You realize it's still a compressed video? I'd hold my judgement as to sub-pixel level of detail till you can see it live or at least from a loseless source.

Don't be DF, be smart.
Yes. That’s why I said “at least in Vimeo”.
I have good news for you. I played FF7R on an SSD and doors were okay.
Too late in the gen to buy a SSD for the PS4 but I’ll play it in the 5.

I just hope that Epic manages to fix the slow update speed of their global illumination solution. There are many cases where shadows fade or pop in. Shadow quality is also lacking here and there showing coarse edges and dithering.

FranXico

Its hard to accept the ps5 is powerful, I get it.

Meltdowns are fun this morning, time for a bacon sandwich...
You don't have to remind me that the PS5 is powerful, mate. I fully intend to move to that platform next. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What I'm saying is that this nice demo barely showed off what the PS5 will be able to do with asset streaming. I think there will be even more impressive stuff coming.

I also hope hope that Lumen gives some perspective and slows down the obsession surrounding RT. Full RT is a brute force solution for lighting, and developers should really consider RT as an additional tool, rather than a panacea.

onQ123

To add. I don't think we'll be short off CPU cycles this gen for AI/physics/sound.

It is a curious question however where the 30fps bottleneck is the demo. Looking at it, seemingly it's the GPU render load. They even said they don't need to worry about draw calls, which is interesting.

Being that it's mostly a visual demo I'm not sure why they would have used 60fps but it's clearly detailed enough to take a quality hit for a 60fps game & still look really good.

Last edited:
What does this even mean? Be specific in what Sony did that Epic needed help with.

it means they helped them with the engine not necessarily the demo

the engine is an application to develop games it can cross compile to other systems like consoles and OS such as windows, linux, Mac, Andoird, Ios

the demo is a small game made in the engine and compiled on it to run in certain system, in this case PS5

sony helped Epic with the engine to ensure it uses PS5 correctly because different systems work differently so certain function has to be adapted in some way for a particular system and in another way for another system, the demo was made by someone inside epic using assets and sound from other people(maybe from Epic too) and scripts(or c++) using unreal API(that internally adapts to PS5 API) it may o may not have direction from sony(I dont think that is the case)

sony made the machine, have an OS for it they made the low level API, compilers, how the os works, the security system, best practices and plenty of stuff, its normal that developers ask to the hardware developers for doubts and opinion there are also forums for developers, and there are feedback, sometimes the hardware developer can also send engineers to help with the project and Unreal Engine is a big project that is included in sony SDK that requires special permission to be used and communicate with the system

MS and Nintendo also do that

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
its funny when people think this can only be managed on a PS5, while the demo is massively impressive. there is no way it cannot be done on other hardware.
think about it if this is pushing the SSD to the max which is what people are implying how are games going to look and run on PS5. this is 1440p no ray tracing and only 30fps. if this is what people think is pushing the PS5 to the max and no other console or hardware can run it then next gen will disappoint on PS5 to

FireFly

Tell me specifically what you think Epic needed help with? What off the shelf PC parts were too complicated for the makers of Unreal Engine to wrap their heads around? Do you think the SSD speed was too fast for them to comprehend?
How to take advantage of the PS5 SSD's 6 priority levels? How Sony's throttling algorithm works and what kinds of instructions consume the most power? Sony's experiences using Kraken compression and recommendations to get the best compression ratios? Any experience Sony has optimising compute shaders for the RDNA2 architecture, including any additions that are custom to Sony? Sony's 3D audio system?

I thought it was pretty much common practice for vendor engineers to be involved with engine developers.

Kenpachii

You are talking about software RAID 0, no? Because you need a dedicated SSD controller to support hardware RAID 0 even so it won't give you what PS5 is giving to you.... there are several performance issues with both software and hardware (that one less extent) RAID 0 that can't archive the theoretical peak of 2x the speeds.

And I don't need to google to know that.

Epic was clear about the level of detail on screen of the demo, if you have to separately in tiers:

PS5 = Highest
Actual PC with NVMe SSD = High
Actual PC with HDD = Low

That will probably change with the new 7GB/s SSDs to be launched late this year.

U are not getting what tim is saying. Tim says the SSD solution is far better then what PC currently has. That's right.

However nothing that was showcased can't run on PC or even better. So your list of highest / high and low makes no sense.

7gb/s has nothing to do with why that SSD is better hten current PC ssd's. PC can already go over 7gbps without effort years ago as i showcased you.

The reason why the SSD is "god tier" over what PC has is because PC does not use the SSD in any meaningful way as the PS5 does because it has memory.

Let me explain.

If a game on PS5 uses 5gb of v-ram and PC has 20gb v-ram cards, it can store up to 4x the amount of data that the GPU will need, add a buttload of memory that can swap new data in and out from the harddrive or SSD yea there you go. There is a reason why epic stated its more impressive on the SSD when u can load in 10's of gb's of data with a minimal delay. Aka nothing that can't be done on PC.

Says the fanboy trying to downplay a Ps5 demo ina thread about a ps5 demo....

Are you timdog or colbert ?

Must fight to save the XSX...on every page...

I was just haveing soem fun this moring with the MS warriors before I start work.....see you later...keep fighting warrior

Its not a PS5 demo. Its a unreal engine tech demo running on a PS5.

Last edited:

Inviusx

After watching that demo and realising that it didn't include any raytracing I'm wondering why we should even care about RT. The lighting already looked so good just with the GI solution that I can't imagine RT adding much to improve it for the insane performance hit.

Last edited:
Which game on current gen has full global illumination ? The only example i saw coming close was Killzone Shadowfall with its weird GI tech that could color surroundings but it couldn't do many things GI could like casting proper Ambient Occlusion.

The ever other game that is looking great uses most of the time baking. Baked GI, Baked shadows, Baked lighting etc.

I was talking about the PS4 UE4 trailer that was surpassed, it's silly to compare PS4 games to the one that wasn't meant to represent consoles. Also go back and watch that one, other than the GI (which is a big deal) there are plenty of PS4 games that are more impressive than that June 2012 tech trailer.

The UE5 demo was actually shown running real time and playable on a PS5 dev kit so this situation is nothing like the UE4 trailers before the PS4 launched.

Rolla

Banned
If there's one thing that was made abundantly clear yesterday it this... People are not ready for Playstation's Marketing to kick in. That demo created a seismic shift in the conversation and seems to have caused a freak out across the gaming sphere. It caused playstation to trend, globally, because it actually showed gameplay.

Also the most vocal and visible XBOX guys on social media are a problem. Their behaviour yesterday was appalling and the XB exec team would do well to steer clear from any association.

Lastly, whether the demo can run on a series X is so far from the point it's in another dimension.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Speed and latency is also important., we saw spiderman load instantly so we have seen this twice on Ps5.

And we have seen an old gen game load in 11 seconds and thats it, NO OTHER EXAMPLES yet.

If you believe PCs and XSX can do this currently, show any example, anything.

It took 24 people, I am sure even if its a Sony only demo, others will ask EPIC for a similar demo...if its possible.

Yes with API for 22GBs max and using the 6 priorities ultra fast SSD Epic called god tier. Either they worked together or Epic chose Ps5 by themselves for the demo exclusively as it shows of best streaming - Your choice.

If Sony did not help Epic, then why just praise the ps5 ONLY. Phil will be on the phone running the demo tomorrow on inside Xbox.....we are waiting....

Did thelastword get another alt account or does this guy actually think this isn't capable on the XSX or even a PC?

4ea.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
If a game on PS5 uses 5gb of v-ram and PC has 20gb v-ram cards, it can store up to 4x the amount of data that the GPU will need, add a buttload of memory that can swap new data in and out from the harddrive or SSD yea there you go. There is a reason why epic stated its more impressive on the SSD when u can load in 10's of gb's of data with a minimal delay. Aka nothing that can't be done on PC.

Why can't PC just load that data anyway?

Like you say PS5 can load 10GB with no delay. Ok, but if PC has 20GB or more, you can just keep it all in memory to begin with (instead of searching the HDD/SSD).

Also, am I missing something but PC memory is faster than SSD. DDR5 supports 51.GB/s. Again, combine this with PC having more RAM. You can just load more assets than PS5.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
it's silly to compare PS4 games to the one that wasn't meant to represent consoles.

Original trailer was meant to represent next gen consoles. Then they released "revised" tech demo where they completely scrapped GI and severely tuned down effects. Uncharted 4 also had tech demo shown at ps4 unveiling which presented uncharted in 60fps but in the end game was only 30fps.

And no i don't consider baking stuff beating tech demo. If we consider baking tech then already you could get photo-realistic rooms in Mirrors Edge back in PS3 days:

bphysxon.jpg

NXGamer

LOL! You are completely misrepresenting in that statement. But I'm not going to argue.

No, I am not, I am going to hold you to task on this as this is something I never do, or ever intentionaly if I did, which is not the case.

This is the entire history of our chats started from you saying this to another user:-

Whatever bro. The day I need an SSD to play a game, I'll be the first to tell you. Until then, you can keep justifying the power of the SSD being a factor in these games graphics all you want, but the truth is that the GPUs on these next-gen consoles are still bandwidth limited.

To which I replied
It is, the GPU is being fed by the SSD ( more importainly the entire Southbridge replacement and coherency engines, DMA etc), this if the GPU can render enough within the Frustum, then it can use more of that Vram to hold that, rather than waste 40-60% of it "just in case".
This is improving your "slowest part", a GPU is more that just the triangles or the pixels. Without SSD this demo would need one of the 2:-

1: Scaled back on fidelity to accomodate the Vram size limit/lack of pipe feed.
2: More Vram or other fast enough replacement of that Pipe Feed

And then you moved the goalposts to
And I say it's not. The GPU isn't directly indexing texture lookups from virtual RAM that's represented in the SSD. It's too slow. The GPU is indexing texture lookups from the VRAM. The SSD is just a fast cache for the VRAM. Data is flowing to the VRAM and then GPU reads from there - not directly from the SSD. PC has 2 pools of RAM - CPU and GPU. That can be any configuration. My own personal PC has 64G of RAM and then my 2080Ti has 11G of VRAM. I bet anything I can run that demo with my HDD-equipped PC.

Are stating that the PC can't run this demo? I say it can run this demo and run it better (4k/60FPS). I'd love to know how much RAM this demo costs and I wish they would release it to the PC owners so they can play with it. Probably one day..
And I replied as:
You just answered your own question and my statement. The issue here is current streaming, index and management of that data through the PCIe pipe all takes a toll on the PC CPU to manage the Virtual addressing of that.

The PS5 here, has dedicated I/O processors, it also has GPU scrubbers to manage the virtual allocation of assest within the SSD (this is extacly what is is being used for) and more importantly it can access much of this through more channels (12) and the DMA access. The big difference here is the ENTIRE system has been built from the ground-up to deliver THESE kinds of assets and maximise the "relatively" lower specs in VRAM and bandwidth.

Simply having 64GB of DDR4 in your system does not mean it can stream that data with the ability as we have seen here, I must stress I am not saying it is not possble, just until we know more then we need to hold final judgement.

And then you brought PC into.

You can believe it's about that. But I assure you that this demo is running on the PC.
Then I wouldn't say it can't be run on a PC as you stated. I can also tell you that it runs on a PC because they tell you it does. Once we get around the fact that all platforms will be in harmony with 3rd party titles, we are left with the GPU. And you already got a glimpse of what those limitations are: sub-4k @ 30FPS.

Which shows you shifted from none to some, progress is still progress.

scalman

and then you think that only one game on PS4 was running on unreal engine its Days Gone... will they make now 10-20 AAA games on ps5 with this engine ? not exclusive devs at least. so thats not that good news.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's a really nice engine tech demo (and I really appreciated it as a tech guy). But keep in mind so was Infiltrator and pretty much any other engine demo, and pretty much none of them fully materialized in-game until a generation or so later.

Shmunter

No, I am not, I am going to hold you to task on this as this is something I never do, or ever intentionaly if I did, which is not the case.

This is the entire history of our chats started from you saying this to another user:-

To which I replied

And then you moved the goalposts to

And I replied as:

And then you brought PC into.

Which shows you shifted from none to some, progress is still progress.
Classic

U are not getting what tim is saying. Tim says the SSD solution is far better then what PC currently has. That's right.

However nothing that was showcased can't run on PC or even better. So your list of highest / high and low makes no sense.

7gb/s has nothing to do with why that SSD is better hten current PC ssd's. PC can already go over 7gbps without effort years ago as i showcased you.

The reason why the SSD is "god tier" over what PC has is because PC does not use the SSD in any meaningful way as the PS5 does because it has memory.

Let me explain.

Its not a PS5 demo. Its a unreal engine tech demo running on a PS5.

but is 20 GB VRAM guaranteed? there is not any other application taking a chunk of it? and what if my PC doesnt have exactly 20 GB more? what if it have 16GB or 2GB? what if I want to run it with lower textures? why not just have 4 cards in the same motherboard with 20 GB each and store the whole game?, why not just make the scene procedurally?, why not hack a bunch of PS5 and use them in a beowulf cluster?

FSQfP.jpg

PC is a great system because its open, that is its strength but also is main problem, you can make whatever configuration you want in fact PC is not really clear in what its specs are, games have to settle to a particular minimum configuration and use standards and are designed with that in mind, just because in theory you can have a cache big enough doesnt mean game developer will target that in that specific way, the API will allow you easily or that its actually a good idea to begin with instead of another more common way of doing that kind of game, SSD are not new in PC, there are new and faster drives every year it will eventually supass what a console can do

its a PS5 demo because its a demo and its compiled for PS5 and to run on PS5

pawel86ck

Banned
It's a really nice engine tech demo (and I really appreciated it as a tech guy). But keep in mind so was Infiltrator and pretty much any other engine demo, and pretty much none of them fully materialized in-game until a generation or so later.
Infiltrator was running on i7 + GTX 680 and it was just a cutscene. This particular tech demo is however interactive and already running on PS5 hardware, so we can expect similar graphics.

I am more interested in the coming XBox this gen, and I don't get why I should be upset.
This demo looks glorious, and it won't look worse on the XSEX imo.

Exentryk

This looked amazing! Nanite seems like a breakthrough in technology with its infinite polygon tech!

It's cool that the engine allows the use of ultra quality Quixel scans as-is, but devs will likely still need to optimise/reduce the size of these assets since they have to fit it all on a disc.

It'd be interesting to know what the size of this demo was.

Top Bottom